Vero or Hilton Head for 5 and 7 yo?

SteffyLou

Mouseketeer
We are looking to take our children to either Vero or Hilton Head, but do not know which to pick. This will be for about 4 days before or after a Disney vacation. Our kids will be 5 and 7 and have never been to a beach. Which would you recommend for a first time trip? We want to make sure there are enough activities for them to do.

I cannot recommend HHI enough - we stayed in August and we are going back in March - I have a soon to be 5 year old.
He talks about the resort so much at school and home that his teacher asked us if we owned another house in Hilton Head and that was his first trip!
The cast members are amazing, they have a massive amount of activities for kids that age both in the pool and outside the pool, both paid and unpaid. DVC discounts for all activities.
Our son did the slime activity, we made shirts together, did a painting activity together, we did a dolphin boat tour that left from the Disney Resort Boat dock, he participated in the pool games led by the CM's, we attended the story time and magic shows by B'Lou...there were so many activities we had to actually skip some.
We already have a list of things we need to do for our March trip.
There is a shuttle to the Disney Beach House - we never waited for it - you can call and they just come get you and it's probably a 3 minute drive and by the way, the shuttle itself and the person driving it, are also fun activities. My son wanted to just ride the shuttle back and forth with Mr. Stan or Mike the Pool Guy.

What time of year are you thinking of going?

We've been to both with our kids that age. Both resorts have many activities. Our kids (and us) liked Vero, but LOVED HH. We've become repeat visitors to HH, going once every 2 years. My kids (now 16 & 14) still love it there.

I have been to both, but not with young children. But I have to say we LOVE HHI, and I know they have lots of great activities for children judging from the activity schedule. Vero was just ok, but I definitely wouldn't want to take young children since the beach is very slanted and there are very strong crashing waves.

I have been to both, but not with young children. But I have to say we LOVE HHI, and I know they have lots of great activities for children judging from the activity schedule. Vero was just ok, but I definitely wouldn't want to take young children since the beach is very slanted and there are very strong crashing waves.
Yes. That's what we found at VB, too. A shallow beach with a rather rapid drop-off once in the water. Not at all like the Gulf Coast beaches that are vast and shallow for quite a ways. We went to VB several years ago and my husband and son found medical waste, like sharps, on the beach when they walked further down the beach past the Disney resort. Hopefully, that is no longer a problem.

As mentioned, the surf at VB is rough...I got tumbled head over heels a few years ago trying to body surf. Hilton Head beach is more like a beach entry pool, long easy slope with gentle waves. When the tide is going out shallow tide pools form that my grandkids loved splashing in. Beach is also great for biking. There is a large pool at the resort and another at the beach house. Lots of activities...my grands love the campfire and fishing/crabbing off the pier.

You didn't mention time of year. HH is farther north so chillier in fall/winter than VB.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts