Vero to Key West!! How long?

caribn7

Mouseketeer
My wife and I are planning a trip to Vero in Oct (our first trip there). we really like Key West, but don't get there very often. How long will it take to get there from Vero. I estimate 6 hours. I figure we will have to spend one night in Key West or Marathon and drive back the next day.

Has anyone ever tried doing something like this? How did it go?

Thanks
Dan

I drove to Key West from Miami last year and it took about 5 hours and it is at least 2 1/2 hours to Miami from Vero. Check http://www.mapquest.com my memory may not be entirely accurate. That is one long ride to only stay over for one night. We stayed at the Hyatt Marina Hotel and it was very nice.
zkey West has an airport with regular flights from Miami. Maybe you would want to consider that. good luck.

i think it was 7 to 8 hours from orlando. remember when you get down to key largo just after homestead/miami it goes down to single lane each way, if you get stuck behind a motorhome or a very slow poke, it will take a long time before you can pass. we made the trip several times.

It is roughly 300 miles from Vero Beach to Key West (A lot of people don't realize that Key West is more than 160 miles beyond Miami). There are bad ways to go, and some not so bad ways to go -- don't even think about driving down I-95! If you decide to go, PM me and I'll give you a MUCH better route which will take you around most of the urban traffic.

From a little South of Florida City (actually where the mainland ends) to Key West, it is two-lane most of the way. The only exceptions are the congested Key Largo to Tavenier stretch (which is 4 lanes, but slow) and the Seven Mile Bridge just South of Marathon.

Your travel time will depend greatly on when you travel. If you are trying to go southbound past Ft. Lauderdale or Miami during morning rush hour, or northbound during afternoon rush hour, you can probably add at least an hour to your driving time...and that's conservative. If you are driving down to the Keys on a Friday (especially Friday afternoon) or back from the Keys on a Sunday, forget it. You are going to be stuck in gridlock for hours.

If you can add a day to your trip, it will make your trip a lot more enjoyable. If you add two, you could also hit some other worthwhile stops like John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park in Key Largo, or Everglades National Park southwest of Miami.

It took us about 8 hours, but we stopped off for breakfast and a nice lunch along the way and combatted a fair amount of traffic heading west on the keys.

I had rented a convertible for the trip, and my wife and I had dreamed for months of doing the trip with the top down. Well, it was winter time, and the temperature was about 38 degrees when we left VB just before sunrise. But, we there was no way we were doing that trip with the top down. So, we bundled up and kept the heater cranked. We drew some interesting stares along the way!

dannyb said:
It took us about 8 hours, but we stopped off for breakfast and a nice lunch along the way and combatted a fair amount of traffic heading west on the keys.

I had rented a convertible for the trip, and my wife and I had dreamed for months of doing the trip with the top down. Well, it was winter time, and the temperature was about 38 degrees when we left VB just before sunrise. But, we there was no way we were doing that trip with the top down. So, we bundled up and kept the heater cranked. We drew some interesting stares along the way!
Sounds to me like you came to the Keys with the perfect Conch attitude! Boat drinks for all, and let the Hanname roll! :drinking1 :rockband:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter