Veteran w. Anxiety/PTSD

DS has anxiety/panic attacks (and is multi-disabled including cognitive so we can't rationalize) and we have had some issues at Disney. His attacks can be quite severe. Some were learning processes and some were full stop CM failures so a few things to think about.

- At ANY show, especially the ones with the long rows where everyone must move over ....... make sure you sit on one end or another so he has a quick exit. Being trapped might be a trigger and you never know when something in that show may set something in to play. We now will only sit where we can in seconds get out quickly.

- Look up the length of any attraction that has NO escape. Again things happen beyond your control and when triggered and there is the need to leave the worse thing is being trapped on an attraction. Ellen's is now gone, but others are Carousel of Progress, Spaceship Earth, Kilimanjaro Safari ...

- Possibly during the parade and Happily Ever After at MK I would have him sit it out somewhere less crowded. HEA crowds are scary for someone with no issues. If you can book the dessert party for the Terrace viewing that would be great but expensive. While we miss the castle projections, we like the fireworks from other spots in the park. We've only done it once in the HUB and it's a sea of humanity that feels very unsafe, he likely will find no exit point in his scanning. Parade time is a good time for the lands that don't border it.

Hi! I have PTSD and am happy to offer some advice, though of course everything depends on his triggers and what makes him feel comfortable :)

-If explosions are triggering, I've found the MK glitter cannons during Mickey's Friendship Faire even worse than the fireworks (louder, less expected, and more bomb sounding). I always pick up a times guide to know when they're coming.
-If he's on meds and you're changing time zones to get to WDW, I recommend keeping meds on the old time zone schedule, even an hour or two difference can really take adjusting to.
-Crowd fear is to worst for me at exit times, as everyone gets really densely packed into Main Street USA or Discovery Island etc. after night fireworks/shows. If you're doing these, I sometimes will approach a cast member before the show, tell them about my PTSD, and ask for either a non-crowded way to exit or a quiet place to wait out the exit rush. It helps me not to be in the crush, but also to be reminded that it's in some ways artificial--even though it's terrifying that people aren't moving, Disney does have other exits available in an emergency. I've also done this when I was panicked leaving MK, and though I would recommend planning ahead, that was fine too, the CM took us out kind of backstage behind main street.
-WDW is very sensorially intense, and this is easy to forget because it's artful/nothing stands out, but there's all kinds of added smells, sounds, music, etc. that scanners and watchers like me often don't even notice are demanding our attention. I need a big sensory break to stay not-overwhelmed (and thus less likely to flashback or panic) at disney--sometimes a really quiet restaurant does the trick, but a nap in the hotel AC is really best.

I hope you all have a wonderful trip! I'm sure you'll figure out what works best for you :)

Good evening Betsy,

I did have a question for you. Thank you for your sacrifices as well as your husbands service. I myself am also a disabled veteran (70%) (PTSD, Anxiety, Spine, & radiculopathy). I have heard that I will have a hard time getting a DAS, and to be honest I am a bit concerned. This trip is mostly for my children and I myself will participate in some of these rides but I dont do well in crowds, which at times can cause panic attacks among other issues that I am sure you are familiar with. With that I my mobility issues wont be qualifying from what I am reading and in all honesty I am not so concerned with those even though I cant sit/stand for more than 25 minutes or so with out needing to switch, my bigger concern is dealing with crowds in larger events I need to go somewhere else at times to get away from people and just walk or sit away from other people, I need that freedom,I can no longer deal or handle with feeling trapped and that is just one of the thing lines do to me. I am going to do my best for my children as they deserve it but I can see I share some issues with your husband as well. Would you have any advice at all if they dont provide an DAS card, I was going to bring my VA paperwork but someone said they wont even look at it and im not the best at explaining things and honestly I dont really like to. Typing it in on a blog is one thing but repeating the issues in person is embarrassing.

Thanks again.

They will ask how they can help. My husband usually responds with something along the lines of him having issues being “trapped” in groups of people with no easy exit for extended periods of time due to his PTSD. He’s never had an issue, we’ve never had to go to another window or had it take longer than just a few seconds at any park (to include Disneyland). I know it’s easy to worry but please don’t! Disney will take care of you!

They will ask how they can help. My husband usually responds with something along the lines of him having issues being “trapped” in groups of people with no easy exit for extended periods of time due to his PTSD. He’s never had an issue, we’ve never had to go to another window or had it take longer than just a few seconds at any park (to include Disneyland). I know it’s easy to worry but please don’t! Disney will take care of you!

Thank you all this all makes me feel a little more at ease.

If he is seeing anyone at the VA for his PTSD, it might be a good time to ask the counselor about suggestions on handling the issue.

My father (that's him in my avatar) had PTSD, and we found that making TS ADRs so that we had a resting place a few times a day and taking advantage of quiet places like Tom Sawyer's Island really helped him. If you aren't rope-dropping, make sure no one needs to go through bag check. That crowd can get intense by mid morning! He also practiced stress reduction techniques. His involved concentrating on remembering favorite pieces of music when he felt stressed. He hummed his way through Disney! Best of luck to you all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!