VGT Rates now (7 months out) as oppose to closer?

DnA2010

Rope Drop!
I was just curious about the 7 night Mexican cruises from California, so decided to price it out- we have only cruised on DCL once, which was a 7 Night Fantasy cruise in May- we booked at the end of March, so not very far out- the rate for the 3 of us (2 adults, 1x 11 year old) VGT was $3580- the current price for 4 of us (we now have a 2 year old) for a VGT booking is $5950- a lot more, considering we are only adding a toddler. Just wondering if the VGT rates tend to go down closer to the bookings?

I was just curious about the 7 night Mexican cruises from California, so decided to price it out- we have only cruised on DCL once, which was a 7 Night Fantasy cruise in May- we booked at the end of March, so not very far out- the rate for the 3 of us (2 adults, 1x 11 year old) VGT was $3580- the current price for 4 of us (we now have a 2 year old) for a VGT booking is $5950- a lot more, considering we are only adding a toddler. Just wondering if the VGT rates tend to go down closer to the bookings?
If you are adding an additional person to an already existing reservation, they are charged the current prevailing rate for that person. Not the rate they would have been had you put them on the reservation at the time.

If you are comparing the cost a cruise was (but not booked) last March to the cost of the same cruise now, yes prices can rise that much. Prices typically don't go down, only rise as the space onboard fills.

There may be last minute *GT rates available, but you have no choice in rooms, only type (inside, oceanview, or verandah). And no refunds/changes allowed. No way of knowing whether the cruise you want will get the *GT rates or not.

If you are adding an additional person to an already existing reservation, they are charged the current prevailing rate for that person. Not the rate they would have been had you put them on the reservation at the time.

If you are comparing the cost a cruise was (but not booked) last March to the cost of the same cruise now, yes prices can rise that much. Prices typically don't go down, only rise as the space onboard fills.

There may be last minute *GT rates available, but you have no choice in rooms, only type (inside, oceanview, or verandah). And no refunds/changes allowed. No way of knowing whether the cruise you want will get the *GT rates or not.

The cruise I mention is the one I have previously taken- a 7 night VGT cabin on the Fantasy, it had 2 adults and 1 child age 11, as we are from the west coast, I was curious what it would be for the 4 of us (the 3 plus a 2 year old) as I saw a mention of Canadian rates on this cruise, I then saw that VGT rates were offered and cheaper than the Canadian rates, but $2370 to add a 2 year old- ouch! Sorry Disney. I was actually asking if the VGT may get cheaper closer to the cruise if that all makes sense?

The cruise I mention is the one I have previously taken- a 7 night VGT cabin on the Fantasy, it had 2 adults and 1 child age 11, as we are from the west coast, I was curious what it would be for the 4 of us (the 3 plus a 2 year old) as I saw a mention of Canadian rates on this cruise, I then saw that VGT rates were offered and cheaper than the Canadian rates, but $2370 to add a 2 year old- ouch! Sorry Disney. I was actually asking if the VGT may get cheaper closer to the cruise if that all makes sense?

It’s not $2300 for a 2-year old, it’s 2300 more for a different itinerary that is more limited than the weekly fantasy sailings, for a April spring break cruise as opposed to the slower May school time sailing, and I think you are seeing the price for a full price GTY which is different that a discounted VGT rate (I didn’t see any VGT rates for next year California but did see GTY which just means you don’t pick your stateroom but doe t have the last minute restrictions VGT has).

Closer to sailing (60-90) there may be VGT rates which can be 10-20% lower.

Typically, no. Rates (of any kind, VGT or otherwise) do not go down the closer you get to a cruise.

That said, if a cruise isn't selling well, DCL may offer last minute restricted fares (IGT, OGT, VGT) that are lower than prevailing rates, but usually not lower than the lowest rate that was offered on that cruise on opening day.

As I noted, the *GT rates are non refundable, you can only select a type of room, and no changes are allowed.

It’s not $2300 for a 2-year old, it’s 2300 more for a different itinerary that is more limited than the weekly fantasy sailings, for a April spring break cruise as opposed to the slower May school time sailing, and I think you are seeing the price for a full price GTY which is different that a discounted VGT rate (I didn’t see any VGT rates for next year California but did see GTY which just means you don’t pick your stateroom but doe t have the last minute restrictions VGT has).

Closer to sailing (60-90) there may be VGT rates which can be 10-20% lower.

I think I’m confusing the GT types, thank you. I will check back on it 90 days out :)
I also didn’t realize that was still spring break time, I always thought of it in March, but good to know

I think I’m confusing the GT types, thank you. I will check back on it 90 days out :)
I also didn’t realize that was still spring break time, I always thought of it in March, but good to know
GTY = you can select a specific category, but no actual room. The reservation will say "cat 8 (or whatever category you selected) GTY".

*GT = last minute restricted fares. You can only select a type of room (Inside, Oceanview, Verandah). The reservation will say "IGT" or "OGT" or "VGT".

The issue isn’t the 2-yr-old per se, but you are comparing 2 very different cruises which may have started out with very different pricing. The Fantasy does very routine 7 night Caribbean cruises, week after week, year after year, basically the same thing. The Mexican Riviera cruises next spring are on the Wonder, a west coast cruise, and an itinerary that DCL really hasn’t offered regularly. West coast departures are popular, there are only a few offered, and any special or limited itinerary tends to be higher priced starting from Opening day rates and rise more quickly in price (when compared to the “regular” year-round itineraries). So you are comparing apples to oranges.

But to answer your question... can VGT fares decrease? Possibly. Not likely, but it is possible. It may also disappear and re-appear higher. Or disappear completely. You just have to decide if the price is within your budget and be ok with what you book.

Enjoy your cruise!

One thing people aren't mentioning is the inflation in cruise pricing year over year. Each year there are threads that consist of people complaining they will never cruise again because they are priced out by the yearly increase.
So part of what you are seeing is yearly inflation. If you priced the same cruise you took last time at the same time of year, same 3 people you would also see an increase in price, sometimes significant.

How long ago was your first? Prices have doubled in the last 6 years. Also are you looking at Easter week? Regardless I doubt that cruise sells since Disney over priced it. Californians won’t spend that to go to Cabo.

I just looked up the VGT on the April 21, 2019 cruise out of San Diego, 7-nights to the Mexican Riviera, 2 adults and 2 children ages 11 and 2.
Adult fares: $2,093.00 each
Child 1 (11 yr old): $752.64
Child 2 (2 yr old): $481.32
taxes, fees, etc.: $500.16
Total: $5,920.12

It's definitely not the addition of a 2 yr old bumping the price. Plus I just noticed that your Fantasy cruise was in 2015? I hate to say, but a BIG difference in pricing over the years. So as others have mentioned...different itinerary, different year, different ship, etc. AND that cruise departs on Easter Sunday.

You can try holding out for a "better" VGT rate, or I think you mentioned a Canadian rate, or any other special offer. But if you really want to take the cruise be aware it could go up or disappear entirely if you wait. VGT doesn't typically decrease as the cruise gets closer, though DCL is doing something a little different in offering the restricted fares this far in advance, so who knows what they have in mind.

Enjoy your cruise!

How long ago was your first? Prices have doubled in the last 6 years. Also are you looking at Easter week? Regardless I doubt that cruise sells since Disney over priced it. Californians won’t spend that to go to Cabo.

Was just actually looking at west coast as a much closer flight :)

I just looked up the VGT on the April 21, 2019 cruise out of San Diego, 7-nights to the Mexican Riviera, 2 adults and 2 children ages 11 and 2.
Adult fares: $2,093.00 each
Child 1 (11 yr old): $752.64
Child 2 (2 yr old): $481.32
taxes, fees, etc.: $500.16
Total: $5,920.12

It's definitely not the addition of a 2 yr old bumping the price. Plus I just noticed that your Fantasy cruise was in 2015? I hate to say, but a BIG difference in pricing over the years. So as others have mentioned...different itinerary, different year, different ship, etc. AND that cruise departs on Easter Sunday.

You can try holding out for a "better" VGT rate, or I think you mentioned a Canadian rate, or any other special offer. But if you really want to take the cruise be aware it could go up or disappear entirely if you wait. VGT doesn't typically decrease as the cruise gets closer, though DCL is doing something a little different in offering the restricted fares this far in advance, so who knows what they have in mind.

Enjoy your cruise!

Yes, it seems the prices are indeed a lot higher. Good point about the Easter...the Canadian rate is actually more than this VGT rate. Unfortunately it seems we are priced out of Disney, I wouldn’t mind paying a bit more but 6k is too much considering I can probably do a lot more other vacationing with that amount...

Yes, it seems the prices are indeed a lot higher. Good point about the Easter...the Canadian rate is actually more than this VGT rate. Unfortunately it seems we are priced out of Disney, I wouldn’t mind paying a bit more but 6k is too much considering I can probably do a lot more other vacationing with that amount...
Just take your next DCL cruise in the Caribbeans. There is a lot more competition there, and you can find some very good prices if you are flexible with your dates.

DCL isn't our first choice when it comes to itineraries. With your young family, you will spend a whole lot more time on the ship, and other than maybe the restaurants and some shows, the on-board experience is pretty comparable between the ships.

Just take your next DCL cruise in the Caribbeans. There is a lot more competition there, and you can find some very good prices if you are flexible with your dates.

DCL isn't our first choice when it comes to itineraries. With your young family, you will spend a whole lot more time on the ship, and other than maybe the restaurants and some shows, the on-board experience is pretty comparable between the ships.

The reason I was looking at something California was to try to avoid such long travel - we are from west coast Canada, so Florida is a long way to travel, we def want cruises suitable for toddlers :)

Last edited:
I didnt realize it was Easter :)
It’s actually not to bad now that they lowered the price. Easter’s so late next year I wonder how many school are actually on break. I assume that’s why it didn’t sell at the price they wanted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!