Viking Ship Adrift

Omg, that looks terrifying. Those poor people! I would not handle that as well as them.

I have a Bahamas DCL trip in May, and I go in to panic mode when the seas get rough. Man oh man, scary.

Yeah, just sitting there while that giant planter is sliding across the floor along with the loose furniture. Then parts of the ceiling collapse. And they are just sitting there watching. Glad the grand piano was in a lock down.

Helicopters are just as safe as airplanes. I was an Army helicopter test pilot and Maintenance Officer for 22 years. Never had an incident I couldn't handle and was highly trained for.

Oh I know they are as safe as planes, doesn't matter, they still terrify me. Don't know why, they just do. My dh was in the Air Force and flew F16s and then T38 as an instructor. He always says he would love to learn how to fly a helicopter. After nearly 20 yrs of marriage he still can't convince me to even go anywhere near one.

My sister has a friend who is crew on board. She said he reported to her it has calmed a little and almost all of the passengers are off and they are preparing to start crew evacuations soon (I'm sure once all the passengers are off).

That would be amazing if they airlifted 900 passangers in less than 10 hours. That would be 90 passangers an hour or a passenger every 40 seconds.

I think in reality it takes about 30-45 minutes to load a helicopter and then it can only carry 15 passangers and then another one has to get in postition. I think your sisters friend is exaggerating or was misunderstood. I’m kind of surprised crew members have any time to communicate with personal friends during an abandon ship operation.

Oh I know they are as safe as planes, doesn't matter, they still terrify me. Don't know why, they just do. My dh was in the Air Force and flew F16s and then T38 as an instructor. He always says he would love to learn how to fly a helicopter. After nearly 20 yrs of marriage he still can't convince me to even go anywhere near one.
I'm with you! My husband was also Air Force and flew bombers and was a T6 and T38 instructor. No way am I getting into a helicopter, or small plane for that matter. I have complete trust in pilots, and logically know flying is safer than driving, but my irrational fear says NOPE!

The ship is not totally evacuated. There are many passengers still on. They are not allowed back in their rooms. They are not actively evacuating since one engine is now working. I've heard reports of more but for sure one engine is working. I'm sure in daylight they will re-evaluate the situation.

I have been watching this on the news yesterday. As of this morning, only about 400 evacuated, they have 700 to go. This must be very terrifying for the passengers. My heart goes out to all, especially the elderly. Positive thoughts for all to be evacuated soon!:wizard: Question is, these waters are known to be very perilous, prone to storm activity, why would Viking sail here?? :eek::scared1:

My sister has a friend who is crew on board. She said he reported to her it has calmed a little and almost all of the passengers are off and they are preparing to start crew evacuations soon (I'm sure once all the passengers are off).

She has been in contact with him, and he is actually on there. So I tend to trust a crew member aboard over media who are not there.

I think that sometimes when you are in the middle of an emergency, yes you are living it, but you can't always see the big picture of the event like the rest of the world sees, and you don't always have a clear understanding of what is really going on.

I’ve been following this on Twitter and the one thing I have learned from reading about this is take as much as you can when you need to muster. Because I guess mustering can mean you’re not leaving the ship for a while. These people are stuck at the Muster Station and cannot go back to the rooms to get anything. I did read about one couple who were allowed to go back to get more warm clothes. But people are literally sleeping on the floor. So mental note if I’m ever in my state room and we need to muster and I have the time to grab things I am grabbing more than just my medicine. Worst case I just dump the things (blankets etc. extra clothed ) right before I get into a lifeboat. Though these would be usuallful there too) At least I’ll be comfortable waiting for the hours or days before we even leave the ship.

I’ve been following this on Twitter and the one thing I have learned from reading about this is take as much as you can when you need to muster. Because I guess mustering can mean you’re not leaving the ship for a while. These people are stuck at the Muster Station and cannot go back to the rooms to get anything. I did read about one couple who were allowed to go back to get more warm clothes. But people are literally sleeping on the floor. So mental note if I’m ever in my state room and we need to muster and I have the time to grab things I am grabbing more than just my medicine. Worst case I just dump the things (blankets etc. extra clothed ) right before I get into a lifeboat. Though these would be usuallful there too) At least I’ll be comfortable waiting for the hours or days before we even leave the ship.

Disney does say get warm clothing and closed toe shoes and all necessary medications during the muster drill. I can't imagine the stress and trauma these people are going through. I've watched those twitter videos. Terrifying.

Cruise Critica has an article with an update about the situation, including quoting an official statement from Viking Ocean Cruises: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/3891/

Cruise Critic contacted Viking Ocean Cruises, which issued this statement:

"We can confirm that as of 10am (Norwegian time) today March 24, the Viking Sky, is safely travelling to Molde under its own power. The ship is being accompanied by two offshore supply ships and one tug assist vessel. The evacuation of passengers has ended and there are currently 436 guests and 458 crew onboard.

"The 479 passengers who were airlifted from the vessel are currently on shore and arrangements have been made to fly them home, with the first passengers leaving today. Currently we understand 20 people suffered injuries as a result of this incident, and they are all receiving care at the relevant medical centres in Norway, with some already having been discharged.

"Throughout all of this, our first priority was for the safety and wellbeing of our passengers and our crew. We would like to thank the Norwegian Redningssentral and the Norwegian emergency services for their support and skill displayed in managing the situation in very challenging weather conditions. We would also like to thank the local residents who throughout the whole process have been extremely supportive and hospitable. If you have questions or concerns about any guests please call this number for US/AU booked guests 1-888-889-8837, and for UK booked guests 07585 779 853 or 0208 780 7900.

"The next sailing, Scandinavia & the Kiel Canal, which was scheduled to embark on March 27th has been cancelled, and guests and their travel agents have been contacted directly. We do not anticipate any additional cancellations at this time."

END QUOTE

I can't imagine the long agony filled hours of siting on that ship waiting to get off, those poor people.

Relieved the situation has improved. I can't help wondering about the passengers who were evacuated and are on their way home. What about all their belongings left in their staterooms? Will the cabin stewards (or other crew) have to pack up everything and ship it to the passengers' homes? That would be a major undertaking.

It will be interesting to see what kind of compensation -- refunds and/or future cruise vouchers -- Viking is planning to give them, and whether the seasick/injured passengers will ever want to cruise again.

I think that sometimes when you are in the middle of an emergency, yes you are living it, but you can't always see the big picture of the event like the rest of the world sees, and you don't always have a clear understanding of what is really going on.

Pretty sure CREW would be informed as to what is going on...

Relieved the situation has improved. I can't help wondering about the passengers who were evacuated and are on their way home. What about all their belongings left in their staterooms? Will the cabin stewards (or other crew) have to pack up everything and ship it to the passengers' homes? That would be a major undertaking.

It will be interesting to see what kind of compensation -- refunds and/or future cruise vouchers -- Viking is planning to give them, and whether the seasick/injured passengers will ever want to cruise again.

The passengers that were on the ship and evacuated are not on their way home. They were put up in a hotel. I would imagine that they will be bussed back to the ship where they can be reunited with their belongings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!