Viking Ship Adrift

Viking is doing a great job. A post from a passenger on another one of their ships......We are on a Viking ship and we’re just given an update. Ship will be in port this afternoon. Office has booked passengers on flights. Many are staying at private homes until they head to Oslo where there are hotel rooms. Community opened shopped this afternoon so passengers could buy items needed and Viking paid. Viking has also supplied councilors for passengers and crew. Ship will be dry docked and repaired.

They never tell everyone on crew everything, nor do they need to. In this case, it sounds like the miscommunication is they were about done evacuating all the passengers they needed to evacuate, but that was only about half of them. It’s not a personal attack to question the details when they don’t add up.

I had a coworker whose husband was in the Pentagon on 9/11 and almost everything he reported as absolutely happening at the time turned out to be false. But he really thought it was true at the time.

I've watched/read multiple reports, from American, British, and Norwegian sources, and the overwhelming response seems to be that people aboard feel that those involved have been wonderful...the captain & crew, other passengers (I heard a report of vacationing paramedics stepping in to help with injuries.), the coast guard, and the Norwegians living in the town where the passengers were brought...everyone seems very appreciate and impressed by how most people involved have handled things and have tried to help those stranded on the ship. It's nice to hear positive words about humanity in general, especially in a crisis situation where sometimes people unfortunately show their worst instead of their best.

Kudos to the local communities for opening their doors!

Viking is doing what would be a normal sequence of steps with any major crusie line. I would be more interested in knowing how a maintenance check allowed the ship to sail. Yes, bad things can happen to anyone at any time, but an ensuing drydock tells you there was something seriously wrong.

I would have been terrified.

Same here. I would be one of those who wouldn't ever cruise again. As it is I'm glad we have a long wait before we go back in the waters. Viking is a line I would like to try some day in the future, when we only need to pay for 2 passengers (since they won't allow a 3rd in the same cabin) and when we've tired of the DCL itineraries. There are still a few out there that look fun to me, but IMHO some of the Viking itineraries look absolutely amazing.

I'm really glad that they were able to get the engines working and get the ship into port this morning. Such a scary event, but it sounds like the crew did everything they could do in really awful circumstances.

Same here. I would be one of those who wouldn't ever cruise again. As it is I'm glad we have a long wait before we go back in the waters. Viking is a line I would like to try some day in the future, when we only need to pay for 2 passengers (since they won't allow a 3rd in the same cabin) and when we've tired of the DCL itineraries. There are still a few out there that look fun to me, but IMHO some of the Viking itineraries look absolutely amazing.

I'm really glad that they were able to get the engines working and get the ship into port this morning. Such a scary event, but it sounds like the crew did everything they could do in really awful circumstances.

Exactly why we branched out from DCL and tried Viking. We were hooked the very first time.

Viking always seems like a reliable line... Clearly bad luck can happen on any cruise line. :/

It has been reported that the President of Viking has offered to reimburse the passengers the total cost of this cruise a long with another free cruise. I'm pretty impressed.

As terrifying as this experience must have been, I've seen mostly great praise online from the actual passengers on board as to how Viking handled this. Mechanical problems can happen on any ship and it seems that in this case it happened at the worst possible time. Kudos to Viking and the Norwegian Coast Guard for keeping everyone safe.

I have been watching this on the news yesterday. As of this morning, only about 400 evacuated, they have 700 to go. This must be very terrifying for the passengers. My heart goes out to all, especially the elderly. Positive thoughts for all to be evacuated soon!:wizard: Question is, these waters are known to be very perilous, prone to storm activity, why would Viking sail here?? :eek::scared1:

Well, living in the coastal areas of Norway, I can tell you that if a ship is going further north than Molde (where Viking Sky docked yesterday), then they would have to cross Hustadvika. There's no other way.

But on Saturday, with the storm coming in, there were barely any ships crossing. Both Coastal Voyages ships that were scheduled to cross delayed their sailing and stayed in port. Even the offshore supply ships that service oil platforms were in harbor (until they had to go out to assist Viking Sky)

My ex would LOVE that. I’m almost tempted to send him the video. But he was on tankers between Seattle and Valdez, so he knows weather. His dad was Navy and Merchant Marine and has also been in real weather, and I’m sure that would have felt like home to him.

While people seem to be remaining fairly calm I'm not sure why they are getting up to run around. Scary!

I don’t think their intention is to run. I think they are getting up to perhaps be closer to perhaps loved ones, and the ship moves causing them to have to run.

Helicopters are just as safe as airplanes. I was an Army helicopter test pilot and Maintenance Officer for 22 years. Never had an incident I couldn't handle and was highly trained for.

Hmm. Nah thanks.

I can't help wondering about the passengers who were evacuated and are on their way home.

I read the release, but for international guests I’m sure it didn’t literally mean heading home.

(I heard a report of vacationing paramedics stepping in to help with injuries

Of course.

(Someone collapsed in my corral at Princess last month about 50 minutes before our start. The people around her started calling “medic!” and as the call went to the back of the corral so someone could get a rundisney person, within two minutes there were at least ten fellow-runner emergency healthcare professionals around her, assessing and helping. It was so cool. Then there was news from the back that someone was coming, then they helped get the news that he was on the way, and then a path opened from the back up to where she was, like the seas being parted. Brought chills to most of us, how helpful everyone in that corral was.)

So I’m not surprised.

Viking is doing a great job. A post from a passenger on another one of their ships......We are on a Viking ship and we’re just given an update. Ship will be in port this afternoon. Office has booked passengers on flights. Many are staying at private homes until they head to Oslo where there are hotel rooms. Community opened shopped this afternoon so passengers could buy items needed and Viking paid. Viking has also supplied councilors for passengers and crew. Ship will be dry docked and repaired.

Latest I read is that the ship is gonna cruise in early April since there are no damages to the ship's outside.
The rescue, the hotel rooms (Molde has several hotels) and the medical/psychological help was paid by Norwegian taxpayers :-) It's why our taxes are so high, so that we get help when needed

Considering the ship is only 2 years old, you gotta wonder what the heck is happening (or not) down in the engine room . . .

We've seen ships getting engine failure in that area before during stormy conditions, so I assume it had something to do with that. News reports says that the cargo ship lost power because water came into the engine through ventilation

That is such a scary situation! I couldn't imagine being on that ship or being evacuated by helicopter. I'm glad the ship made it safely to port, the videos I've seen are crazy. Is it normal for ships to sail in March that far north? Most cruises I've looked at for Europe don't start until May.

I would have been one of the ones who stayed onboard. Going up in the helicopter, with those winds (and my fear of heights) would not be a great situation for me. I would have stood back and waited and then if they insisted everyone had to evacuate, I would have done it (eyes closed and fists clenched LOL), but looks like the situation felt safe enough to leave half the passengers onboard.

Such a scary and unnerving situation -- especially for the elderly. I heard that 28 were injured, but one is serious. I hope they all recover and get to go home soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter