Visiting Aulani? Can you? Would you?

si-am

DIS Veteran
We are vacationing in Oahu this summer and not staying at Aulani, but being the Disney freak that I am, I feel compelled to check it out. Do they allow visitors? Would it be worthwhile at all? Anything there worth doing or seeing?

Thank you!

Yes it is worth checking out especially if you are that close. We are huge Disney fans and stay for a week and never want to leave. The atmosphere is amazing. I believe you can get parking validated if you dine or spend a certain amount on merchandise, but you should verify.

Aulani and the resort are it is located in is a bit off the beaten path to the west of the island so I think it depends on where you are staying and when you would visit. The traffic in and out to the area from Honolulu can be brutal on weekdays with commuters and people headed to the airport, Waikiki etc so it might be in your best interest to do it on a weekend day if you are staying in Waikiki/Honolulu

We are vacationing in Oahu this summer and not staying at Aulani, but being the Disney freak that I am, I feel compelled to check it out. Do they allow visitors? Would it be worthwhile at all? Anything there worth doing or seeing?

Thank you!
The resort is spectacular. There is an incredible amount of detail incorporated in the building. From the moment you walk in you'll be immersed in it all. Just realize that this is all Hawaiian themed detail. Not traditional "Disney" detail. Don't expect to see characters everywhere.

Thanks again, everyone! Sounds like we'll put Aulani on our list of places to see!

You won't be allowed to use the pools, but you could certainly enjoy wandering through the resort, eat in any of the restaurants, or even make a reservation at the spa. And there is a pathway along the different lagoons that would make for a beautiful stroll.

You won't be allowed to use the pools, but you could certainly enjoy wandering through the resort, eat in any of the restaurants, or even make a reservation at the spa. And there is a pathway along the different lagoons that would make for a beautiful stroll.

I'd add that you also won't be allowed to meet the characters that come out during the day, as CMs check for guest wristbands in line. Like @squeezle said, you can eat at any of the snack stands and restaurants; and Makahiki, which offers a breakfast and dinner buffet, has character dining every morning and on select evenings. You can also visit the gift shops. And, as beaches and beach access in Hawaii is a public right, you can also make use of the lagoon, just not Aulani's amenities.

I agree with PP in that it's a bit out of the way. If you want to visit, I would make it a spa day or even go for dinner to check out the resort. You could even technically plan a beach day there since all the beaches in Hawaii are public, but you wouldn't be able to use the chairs. You'd have to bring your own chairs or beach towels. I don't think there are chair rentals anywhere.

I would totally make the drive to Aulani and check out the resort. Grab lunch or a snack and snap some awesome photo's. It's not everyday you're in Hawaii and that close to Aulani.

Hey all, just an update! Just got back from Oahu and we did end up visiting Aulani for a few hours. It is a beautiful resort but there wasn't a ton to look at compared to, say, Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge at WDW. I was kind of hoping for a larger gift shop, at least, but the two we found were pretty small.

However, we did have lunch at Ama Ama and the lobster roll was one of the highlights of my overall trip... Plus the view from the restaurant, which was spectacular! The pool area looked so nice, too. It was tough looking at that lazy river and not being able to jump in-- lol!

Our parking was validated by the restaurant so it didn't cost us anything to visit other than our lunch, and I'm glad we went because I really did love that lobster roll! We drove up the coast for a bit after visiting Aulani and there wasn't a ton to see compared to the north or even east sides of the island, so that was kind of a bust. I'm not sure I'd want to stay at Aulani due to the isolated location-- that area on the west side of the island seemed more "run-down" and less tourist friendly than anywhere else we visited. However, it was a nice morning/early afternoon excursion, and of course it's always fun to add some Disney to any trip!

Thanks again for the advice!

Last edited:
m not sure I'd want to stay at Aulani due to the isolated location-- that area on the west side of the island seemed more "run-down" and less tourist friendly than anywhere else we visited.

I think it's actually the opposite - it's just the beginning of the area being built up. Ever since Aulani and Four Seasons went up, all the stores and restaurants across the street were added and a mall opened in Kapolei which is one exit up. I imagine the growth will continue, especially with the addition of Atlantis in Ko Olina. But to your point, Ko Olina is a planned development so it's not genuine Hawaii. You can't walk to any major attractions and it forces some people to stay in the Ko Olina bubble.

For us, what worked best is staying in Waikiki first to do that stuff, Pearl Harbor, and Diamond Head. We stayed at Aulani after so we could enjoy the resort, and we also did Kualoa Ranch which was about an hour's drive and the North Shore which was 30-45 minutes. I wouldn't call Aulani a good "home base" though if someone's priority is exploring the island, both because of the location and the price point. It's best for enjoying the resort and amenities.

I think it's actually the opposite - it's just the beginning of the area being built up. Ever since Aulani and Four Seasons went up, all the stores and restaurants across the street were added and a mall opened in Kapolei which is one exit up. I imagine the growth will continue, especially with the addition of Atlantis in Ko Olina. But to your point, Ko Olina is a planned development so it's not genuine Hawaii. You can't walk to any major attractions and it forces some people to stay in the Ko Olina bubble.

No idea what the OP's idea of "run down" is, but as you said, Kapolei is indeed being developed. In general, the town is not as tourist friendly because it's not being designed for them. It is there to serve as a "second city" for local people. Tourists are expected to mainly stay in the Ko'olina area because that's where the resorts are, though locals live there, too.

No idea what the OP's idea of "run down" is, but as you said, Kapolei is indeed being developed. In general, the town is not as tourist friendly because it's not being designed for them. It is there to serve as a "second city" for local people. Tourists are expected to mainly stay in the Ko'olina area because that's where the resorts are, though locals live there, too.

I was referring to Waianae and surrounds, just north of Aulani (we drove up the coast for a bit after Aulani). It seemed very different from other areas of the island we visited-- almost worlds away from the east and north sides of the island in terms of landscape and even development.

We didn't really see much of Kapolei-- sorry for the confusion!

Last edited:
I was referring to Waianae and surrounds, just north of Aulani (we drove up the coast for a bit after Aulani). It seemed very different from other areas of the island we visited. We didn't really see much of Kapolei!
Ahhhhh. Okay, that makes total sense now. Thank you for clarifying. The Waianae area has a very high population of Hawaiians. Because they are also the poorest ethic group in Hawaii, the surroundings reflect their economic state. Still, I know quite a few people who love it over there. In fact, one of my friends just closed on a house there a couple weeks ago. They also have a amazing beaches!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter