visiting disney with weirdly specific allergy (melon)

marchingstar

DIS Veteran
inspired by a recent thread on allergy menus, i’m wondering what people with uncommon allergies do when dining at disney. since our last visit, i’ve developed a moderate melon allergy (how bizarrely specific, right!?). should i mention my allergy before all meals? only breakfasts, since melon is prominent in fruit salads? advice from people managing bizarre/specific allergies would be appreciated :bitelip:

inspired by a recent thread on allergy menus, i’m wondering what people with uncommon allergies do when dining at disney. since our last visit, i’ve developed a moderate melon allergy (how bizarrely specific, right!?). should i mention my allergy before all meals? only breakfasts, since melon is prominent in fruit salads? advice from people managing bizarre/specific allergies would be appreciated :bitelip:
Just tell your server.

If you're making ADRs, check off "Other" for allergies and they'll ask you about it. Or just let your server know. And it's not actually that weird of an allergy - I know at least two people with the same one. I, however, have never known anyone else with a spinach allergy which I have and people are very surprised when I tell them that I'm also allergic to sunflower (especially sunflower oil), marigold (often found in teas) and chamomile. All of those three are related to ragweed so I'm surprised that more people don't have problems especially since sunflower oil seems to be all the rage nowadays.

My son has about a dozen odd oral allergies, and melon is one of them. He just avoids dishes with his allergens. We’ve been many times and have never had any problems.

thanks everyone! i really thought it was a weird allergy, but sounds like not so much. and it’s a lucky one—unlike sunflower oil, no one is sneaking melon into unexpected dishes!

I'm allergic to avocados. :eek: Not so much a normal allergic reaction you would normally think of, but terrible upper stomach pain after I eat avocado that lasts for hours. Doctor said it was an allergy!

Never had a problem eating out, I just read the menu and don't order the dish with avocado as an ingredient. Or if possible, have them make it without it.

Easy to avoid. I don't have a melon allergy but I do HATE melon and won't touch anything with melon in it and I have no issue finding stuff to eat.

I am allergic to melon. Disney is very good with allergies, but for an easy to avoid food their process can become time consuming and annoying. I don’t need a chef to tell me what not to eat on a buffet as it’s pretty obvious what I shouldn’t eat. So for the most part I don’t mention it with very few exceptions. Really the only time I can think of is if I want some berries with breakfast at any of the family style restaurants, like Garden Grill (strawberries, Nutella, and waffles...yum!) or Ohana, I will mention it. Also, I have not eaten at 1900 Park Fair, but I would probably mention it there because I would want to try the strawberry soup. A few places I’ve been put watermelon in their strawberry soup and I would need to see if I can eat it.

I am also allergic to all melon, with the worst reaction to cantanope (haha). I don’t need an epi pen, but will throw it right up and break out in a rash (and suffer a few hours of discomfort). I just ask what the fruit is and let them know I can’t eat melon due to an allergy. Restaurants sure love melon in their fruit dishes though :( I do not meet with anyone regarding it as it is not typically cooked in food.

Melon allergies are more common than you think ;)

I'm allergic to avocados. :eek: Not so much a normal allergic reaction you would normally think of, but terrible upper stomach pain after I eat avocado that lasts for hours. Doctor said it was an allergy!

Never had a problem eating out, I just read the menu and don't order the dish with avocado as an ingredient. Or if possible, have them make it without it.
This is my experience. I have a rare allergy to flaxseed. In fact, I ended up having a reaction last year at Disney. Turns out the bread at Boma has flaxseed. It was one of many reactions I had within a five-month period, two of which resulted in emergency room visits. I was on the verge of having my gall bladder removed when I figured out what it really was. It is the most excruciating pain (feels like a knife stabbing me in my stomach and usually lasts for 6-7 hours). I have already called Disney Dining and had it noted on all of my ADRs. They also told me to tell the server at each restaurant I visit. My only concern right now is the lunch I have planned at the Festival of the Holidays food kitchens. I don't think there is any way of knowing those ingredients.

Mine is mushrooms - I just check ‘Other’ on the allergy screen and then my server makes sure to tell the cooks not to put my food anywhere near any mushrooms.

I have several odd allergies and just mark off OTHER on the adr thing and then they bring the chef out at the restaurant and they'll go through their book with me and point out all the things that have it in or something related in it.

I am allergic to melon. Disney is very good with allergies, but for an easy to avoid food their process can become time consuming and annoying. I don’t need a chef to tell me what not to eat on a buffet as it’s pretty obvious what I shouldn’t eat. So for the most part I don’t mention it with very few exceptions. Really the only time I can think of is if I want some berries with breakfast at any of the family style restaurants, like Garden Grill (strawberries, Nutella, and waffles...yum!) or Ohana, I will mention it. Also, I have not eaten at 1900 Park Fair, but I would probably mention it there because I would want to try the strawberry soup. A few places I’ve been put watermelon in their strawberry soup and I would need to see if I can eat it.

thanks for sharing :) i think i’ll probably limit mentioning it unless it feels important at a particular restaurant. we have ohana breakfast, so i’ll definitely bring it up there. maybe other breakfasts too, since melon is such a common fruit.

I am also allergic to all melon, with the worst reaction to cantanope (haha). I don’t need an epi pen, but will throw it right up and break out in a rash (and suffer a few hours of discomfort). I just ask what the fruit is and let them know I can’t eat melon due to an allergy. Restaurants sure love melon in their fruit dishes though :( I do not meet with anyone regarding it as it is not typically cooked in food.

Melon allergies are more common than you think ;)

haha that’s what i’m learning! honeydew is worst for me, and watermelon is actually fine (at least so far). i actually love melon, especially honeydew—i found out about my new allergy on a nice summer day, eating half a honeydew for lunch when all of a sudden my throat felt weird...

This is my experience. I have a rare allergy to flaxseed. In fact, I ended up having a reaction last year at Disney. Turns out the bread at Boma has flaxseed. It was one of many reactions I had within a five-month period, two of which resulted in emergency room visits. I was on the verge of having my gall bladder removed when I figured out what it really was. It is the most excruciating pain (feels like a knife stabbing me in my stomach and usually lasts for 6-7 hours). I have already called Disney Dining and had it noted on all of my ADRs. They also told me to tell the server at each restaurant I visit. My only concern right now is the lunch I have planned at the Festival of the Holidays food kitchens. I don't think there is any way of knowing those ingredients.

My understanding is that even for the food kitchens there is a book of ingredients available - though not all of the kitchens may have a copy, they may have to retrieve it from another one or call to a manager. If the CM you talk to says there isn't one, ask someone else.

You can also write to WDW special diets and confirm that they do have ingredient info available for the event: Special.Diets@DisneyWorld.com

SW

My understanding is that even for the food kitchens there is a book of ingredients available - though not all of the kitchens may have a copy, they may have to retrieve it from another one or call to a manager. If the CM you talk to says there isn't one, ask someone else.

You can also write to WDW special diets and confirm that they do have ingredient info available for the event: Special.Diets@DisneyWorld.com

SW
Thank you. I have sent them an email.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!