Visiting London for the First Time!

London is like a different planet compared to much of the rest of the U.K. it has a very different feel, is massively more busy, masses of tourists as you’d expect and thousands of people mulling about, everywhere. It’s also a young place, as you’ll notice when you get there. I like London, I work there and stay there very regularly and like to walk the City and discover new areas when there (I walked 35000 steps around London on Wednesday evening). But go elsewhere if you can as well, as London isn’t the U.K. l am very glad to see you are travelling around.

Another tip, if you have a contactless credit card or Apple Pay or Google Pay on your phone, don’t bother buying an Oyster card, just use the contactless reader on all gates on the underground- cheapest way to travel, just touch in, then touch out other end. The Underground is quite superior to the subways in USA, cleaner and better technology. But of you are physically up to it, walk. You can walk everywhere and you will get a much better understanding/ appreciation compared to using the Subway.
Thank you! We're from Canada (Calgary, which is one of the largest cities in the nation) and a busy, urban environment doesn't frighten us, although I understand the population densities are simply night-and-day different. We spent time in Paris, Rome and Barcelona two years ago, so we're somewhat prepared. :goodvibes

Unfortunately, due to time constraints we won't have an opportunity to wander around soaking it up; we'll have to be pretty purposeful to see the very most iconic locations while we have the chance. We're on a cruise out of Southampton in May, 2020, and will have a few days in London beforehand. Would you be kind enough to advise?

We'll arrive on a Saturday morning after an over-night flight and will need to depart for Southampton again on Monday, in time to be there early-afternoon. We plan to hit the ground (gently) running so as to fend off the jet-lag and on Sunday would like to visit Holy Trinity Brompton. Can you please tell me which airport we should be flying into and what area might be most convenient for lodging? :wave2:

Thank you! We're from Canada (Calgary, which is one of the largest cities in the nation) and a busy, urban environment doesn't frighten us, although I understand the population densities are simply night-and-day different. We spent time in Paris, Rome and Barcelona two years ago, so we're somewhat prepared. :goodvibes

Unfortunately, due to time constraints we won't have an opportunity to wander around soaking it up; we'll have to be pretty purposeful to see the very most iconic locations while we have the chance. We're on a cruise out of Southampton in May, 2020, and will have a few days in London beforehand. Would you be kind enough to advise?

We'll arrive on a Saturday morning after an over-night flight and will need to depart for Southampton again on Monday, in time to be there early-afternoon. We plan to hit the ground (gently) running so as to fend off the jet-lag and on Sunday would like to visit Holy Trinity Brompton. Can you please tell me which airport we should be flying into and what area might be most convenient for lodging? :wave2:

Hi Ron and Annette

Ok I would be looking to stay somewhere very central, near the City of London, South Bank etc probably, although it's pretty accessible all over via the tube. How is your mobility, and what are your interests. Also are you budget orientated for hotels, just wanting a base that's functional, or are you high end? Also how are you getting to Southampton- from Waterloo station I assume? Given that you will essentially only have 1 full day, I would look to stay maybe near Waterloo if that is the case, to make departure easy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!