Visiting San Diego and multiple parks?

thor369

Mouseketeer
We are planning to visit our family over the Christmas break in San Diego and want to maximize our time by visiting some of the parks there. We are from the rats coast and so it will be our first time to a few of these.

1. Disneyland - 1 Day enough?
2. Universal - 1 day?
3. Legoland
4. Seaworld
5. Zoo

Will Disneyland be very crowded the last week if December. We are thinking of staying overnight and doing Disneyland for 1 day and universal for the 1 day. We will stay in one of the hotels outside Disney and have the flexibility to stay for 2 nights.

Kids are 5 and 2 and we want to make sure it’s not a very stressful experience at these parks.

Any suggestion from local or seasoned visitors would be appreciated.

All of those will be absolutely packed over Christmas and New Years.

Legoland, and the Zoo are one day experiences. Sea World is as well, unless you want to see all of the shows.

Universal Studios is IMO not the greatest for kids at those ages. Look into what they can actually ride, and also what they would want to ride.

While you can do Disney in one day, you would just be skimming the surface. 2-3 days would be better.

Keep in mind travel time to all these places. The zoo and Sea World are central San Diego, Legoland is 40-60 minutes north, Disneyland is 1.5-2 hours north, and Universal is a solid 3 hours from San Diego.

Our kids are 4 and 10. We’re at Legoland right now and going to Universal later this trip.

During the summer, with the extensive water park open, Legoland is two days for us. But in the winter I agree it would be one day.

I’d say our 4yo is just old enough to enjoy a day at Universal. A couple things are aimed at his age (the Despicable Me area) and he also enjoys Hogsmeade, having been inducted into Potter fandom by his sister. But plenty of things are too intense/scary for him, including the current version of the Studio Tour. So I might skip Universal with kids your ages, unless one of your grownups is a big Potter fan.

I would drop Universal for those ages and add another Disneyland Day. Also, Disneyland is about 100x better than all the other places, so starting there can create a significant let down for all the other parks.

Also, Disneyland is about 100x better than all the other places, so starting there can create a significant let down for all the other parks.

100x better across the board kind of depends on your preferences and interests, but I agree that DL handles crowds exponentially better than the rest. The Zoo is probably the worst in terms of crowds, with narrow and winding pathways. Because of that I agree to do DL last, because the others will seem much more crowded otherwise.

How many days do you have for visiting parks? At ages 5 & 2, I wouldn’t do back to back park days for many days in a row. We went to the zoo with our 2 year old and she had a great time there. Also been to Disneyland with a 5 & 2 year old and it was the best! We spent 5 days there and didn’t see everything. But we also took afternoon breaks/naps. I would skip Universal & SeaWorld. My kids are now 7 & 4 and we are going to legoland for the first time this year. Seems like a lot of the rides have a height requirement that my 4 year old is *barely* going to make (she’s tiny though!). Have a fantastic trip!

Legoland was a blast. Make sure you buy ALL tickets online. You will save so much money. Also look up specials Legoland might be having. If you can work in a day off, do it. Just being able to sleep in and check out the hotel or the area is very fun and relaxing. Have fun!!!

How many days do you have for visiting parks? At ages 5 & 2, I wouldn’t do back to back park days for many days in a row. We went to the zoo with our 2 year old and she had a great time there. Also been to Disneyland with a 5 & 2 year old and it was the best! We spent 5 days there and didn’t see everything. But we also took afternoon breaks/naps. I would skip Universal & SeaWorld. My kids are now 7 & 4 and we are going to legoland for the first time this year. Seems like a lot of the rides have a height requirement that my 4 year old is *barely* going to make (she’s tiny though!). Have a fantastic trip!

Since we are coming from the east coast and do want to try all these parks and maximize it. Maybe we will skip the zoo and universal, but my 5 year old is a big Dinosaur fan but if its scary stuff I will skip Universal.

We will be in San Diego and making these day trips except for Disneyland, we plan to stay outside the park and then as you guys suggested break it up into two days. Does Disneyland have fastpass like Disney world? where we can book it 60 days in advance? How will the week/weekend before Christmas break be like crowd wise?

I would not do Universal with a 5 year old and 2 year old. Unlike Disney where so much is perfect for young kids, a lot at Universal is geared towards older kids. Plus, you are talking about a 3 hour drive from San Diego. If the 5 year old is a big dinosaur fan, you can ride train at Disneyland (the part between the Tomorrowland and Main Street stations specifically). FYI---- while the Jurassic World ride had not yet opened last month when we were at universal, I'm pretty sure that ride is about the dinosaurs attacking you and you escaping (its a thrill ride), while at DLR the train takes you past dinosaurs that are not coming at you and the 2 year old can go too. My DD would have hated Universal at age 5-- she would have been scared of a lot of the things there. Universal is still about an hour away from Disneyland assuming there is no traffic.

I would do more than one day at Disneyland if at all possible, especially since you are going at the most crowded time of the year which means it will take more time to get things done. Sounds like you may be planning on going the week before Christmas? I think if you are there the week of the 16th, the crowds won't be too bad yet those weekdays as that should be before most schools get out. I would try to go to the Disney parks before Saturday December 21st if at all possible. I would stay at one of the hotels near Disney, get park hoppers so you can go to both parks, and do both those days in Disney parks. There is so much for the kids to do there- even for the 2 year old. To give you an idea, we typically spend 5 days in the parks at Disneyland

Disneyland has the traditional fast pass system where you can book at the kiosks--not FP+. HOWEVER, Disneyland also has Max Pass. It costs $15 per day per person, but we find it worth it. You get all your Photopass photos with it, including also the ride and restaurant photos. The minute you scan your ticket and walk in either park, you can book a FP from your phone in either park. It still goes by the traditional system where you have to use it or wait a certain amount of time before getting another, but the wait time is slightly shorter on max pass, and also it is extremely easy to book your next FP. I would think it would be worth it with the photos included. Plus, your 2 year old is free admission and don't need a FP to go with you in the FP line, so you would not have to pay for it for the 2 year old.

Legoland would probably be pretty fun for the kids, but boring for the adults. It has been years since we were there, but we were a one and done there. DD was 4 and she really enjoyed it. We found that unlike Disney where they find a way to make it entertaining for the adults too, that Legoland was really geared just for the littles. Although DD really enjoyed it at age 4 (DH did not) , after that trip we would give her the choice between 5 days in Disneyland/CA or 4 days at there and 1 day at Legoland, and the extra day at Disney won every time.

We love the San Diego zoo and another great place is the San Diego Safari Park. We actually enjoy the Safari Park more than the zoo, but they are both great. We haven't been to SeaWorld in San Diego (or if we have I don't remember) because we have been to Sea Worlds in other places.

Last edited:
I agree with everyone else about the kids being too young for Universal. If you are interested in going maybe leave them with family and only adults go, otherwise you will be doing a lot of rider switch. My kids loved DL, Legoland, Sea World, Knott's, the Zoo and the Safari Park at those ages. We had passes for both DL and Legoland and my boys actually preferred Legoland for years, it just depends what your kids' interests are. That week will be horrible for crowds at all of them, so plan to be there at opening and pack snacks/activities to keep them busy in lines.

Disneyland at that time of year will be a madhouse and definitely not something to do in only one day. I don't think I could handle taking young kids at that time of year honestly. Are you planning to stay in the same hotel to visit both Disneyland and Universal? Traffic will be a problem. I would skip Universal with a 5 and 2 year old. We are bringing are 4 and 2 year old boys there in a few weeks but it's more for us than them.

We're also going to San Diego after. My in laws want to take the boys to Lego Land but I definitely wouldn't be going otherwise. It's insanely expensive for what it looks like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter