VMK Addiction

Sugar

Mouseketeer
Hey everyone,

I have a paper due tomorrow at midnight (gasp! I'm such a procrastinator) for my Drugs and Society class on the topic "Non-Drug Addictions."

My parents have often told me when VMK was open that it was an addiction to me, and if you, as a parent or a player feel the same way, I'm asking you to please help me out with this assignment. It's a paper with a maximum of 5 pages, so I thought it would be really neat to have some interviews of players.

So here are my interview questions (You don't need to answer all of them, and don't be afraid to throw in bonus info I might be able to use):

1. How many hours a week did you play VMK?

2. What was your VMK name? First name? (I'm fine with just using the VMK name, (because I don't like to give out my own first name) but if you would like to volunteer your first name, I'll use it ;))

3. Why were you hooked on the game?

4. What were your reactions to the games' closure?

5. How have you coped with the games' closure? Have you experienced "withdrawal" symptoms? What kind? What are you doing to deal with this withdrawal?

And again, if you have any extra info that may be pertinent, please share :)

I probably won't get to use all of these, and if you could post your responses, by, say 10:00 AM Eastern tomorrow, they'll still be "candidates" if you will, to be used in the paper.

If you're not comfortable with doing something of this sort, that's perfectly OK. And moderators, if this is by some extenstion against the forum rules, I will not be upset if it needs closing.

Thanks again everyone! :)

Sugar

1. How many hours a week did you play VMK? 20+ hours

2. What was your VMK name? flyboyv

3. Why were you hooked on the game? I'm not sure, I think the games and the people got me playing

4. What were your reactions to the games' closure? I didn't care at all (at first)

5. How have you coped with the games' closure? Have you experienced "withdrawal" symptoms? What kind? What are you doing to deal with this withdrawal?
I focused more time on real life, I ended up visiting a few games for an hour a week just to check them out. I didn't have any "withdrawals", at least yet..

1. How many hours a week did you play VMK? 14+ Hours

2. What was your VMK name? First name? (I'm fine with just using the VMK name, (because I don't like to give out my own first name) but if you would like to volunteer your first name, I'll use it )
GoofyWaterCoaster

Because of Mini Games, Friends, and because I loved collecting pins and magic

4. What were your reactions to the games' closure? Why is Disney doing this? This game has so much potential to earn money

5. How have you coped with the games' closure? Have you experienced "withdrawal" symptoms? What kind? What are you doing to deal with this withdrawal? I have coped very well. Instead of sitting in front of the computer, I often find other things to do. There are other games to play, and I have been posting on the DIS more often.

Hope this helps ;)

I would say that over a course of three years I averaged three hours a week. I was not as active as most people thought I was.

2. What was your VMK name? First name? (I'm fine with just using the VMK name, (because I don't like to give out my own first name) but if you would like to volunteer your first name, I'll use it ;))

Cardinal

I met people I liked. I also liked the Disney theme.

It was nothing that I did not expect, but it saddened me all the same.

Withdrawals? I don't think so. As angry as I was, you have to let things pass. If you can't do that, you'll become that grumpy old person who has no friends and sits on his porch all day yelling at children that pass by his house. I can tell you, though, that I was infuriated by the "Thanks for the Magic" stuff that users created before VMK closed. If so many people had not instantly surrendered, there is a possibility that we could be playing VMK right now.

:)

Probably a out 21..

2. What was your VMK name? First name? (I'm fine with just using the VMK name, (because I don't like to give out my own first name) but if you would like to volunteer your first name, I'll use it )My VMK name was Cherishina. First name is Erin.

3. Why were you hooked on the game?Because it brought you into a world with people who didn't care where you came from or who you were and just wanted to experience the 'virtual' magic of Disney's Magic Kingdom.

I wasn't all that shocked. All good things come to an end, like said.

5. How have you coped with the games' closure? Have you experienced "withdrawal" symptoms? What kind? What are you doing to deal with this withdrawal?I coped pretty well. I didn't experience "withdrawal" symptoms. It wasn't such a big deal to do that. Of course I miss it but I can handle myself much more better than that.

DC

1. How many hours a week did you play VMK? 14+

2. What was your VMK name? First name? (I'm fine with just using the VMK name, (because I don't like to give out my own first name) but if you would like to volunteer your first name, I'll use it ) good_dog

3. Why were you hooked on the game? i collected magic

4. What were your reactions to the games' closure? sad

Thanks again everyone! :)

Sugar

Approx 20 hours/week. (It's tricky though; I had VMK running a lot, but I wasn't always "playing" it.)

2. What was your VMK name? First name? (I'm fine with just using the VMK name, (because I don't like to give out my own first name) but if you would like to volunteer your first name, I'll use it )
Nick

I started playing VMK because I liked the Disney Parks connection and was interested in experiencing

Initially I was very surprised to see the game was closing and a little sad that things were coming to an end. But, I accepted the decision and the more I learned about the reasoning the more sense it made to me, so I wasn't at all upset about Disney's decision to close the game.

I have not had any difficulty "moving beyond" VMK. I still spend close to the same amount of time near my computer, but I am a little less distracted from the other tasks I'm working on. I probably do spend more time exercising and interacting with people at work and at home. I have had zero interest in starting another online game, probably because VMK made me less productive.

Hope this helps. PM me if you have more questions,
Nick

Thanks for the replies so far everyone! It's really interesting to see that the withdrawal symptoms seem to be more positive than not :)

Sugar

1. How many hours a week did you play VMK? 30+ Hours

2. What was your VMK name? First name? (I'm fine with just using the VMK name, (because I don't like to give out my own first name) but if you would like to volunteer your first name, I'll use it ) PizzaCaptain

3. Why were you hooked on the game?[?B] It was BEASTLY

4. What were your reactions to the games' closure? I was sad and I cried with Lily and Fin and Hurry

5. How have you coped with the games' closure? Have you experienced "withdrawal" symptoms? What kind? What are you doing to deal with this withdrawal? What does cope mean????

Okiedokie! I have finished and turned in the paper! Thanks everyone for your input! I used Cherishina and CelebrationNM's answers and PM'd them for further answers. If either of you two would like a quick copy/paste of the paper, I'll be glad to do so

This thread can be closed :)

- Sugar

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter