Volcano Bay Weight Limit/Restriction?? (200 Lbs.)

Mark P.

DIS Veteran
Please file this under don't shoot the messenger, but I read on a closed Universal group that weight limits on the drop slides have been lowered to 200 pounds from 300.
Universal's site makes no mention of this, only height. However, some members on the group have called guest services and confirmed the change and just wondering if anyone on the DIS has heard anything.

-Mark

Please file this under don't shoot the messenger, but I read on a closed Universal group that weight limits on the drop slides have been lowered to 200 pounds from 300.
Universal's site makes no mention of this, only height. However, some members on the group have called guest services and confirmed the change and just wondering if anyone on the DIS has heard anything.

-Mark

I've heard grumblings of this. If it hasn't been verified by the time I head down later this week, I will confirm it one way or the other as I currently way right around 250 and I was certainly looking forward to riding the volcano slides.

Husband is at Volcano Bay now and just texted me that they went to get on a slide and it had a "strict" 200 lb weight limit - that he just barely squeaked onto. He said it's on "all the big tube slides with the phone booth at the start". Whatever that means. :teeth:

Wow, that's a pretty big weight drop. I'll be fine, but I imagine that takes a lot of adults out. I wonder why the change by 100 pounds instead of 50? I mean, safety is obviously the issue and it should be, but if they tested okay at 300 before - that seems like a pretty dramatic adjustment.

Hi I read the same thing today on another site about the change from 300 to 200. I feel bad I have one person in my party just over 200 and he was looking forward to riding. My husband was going to ride with him but my husband is good and will just say he doesn't want too.

I'm just below 300 and I was really trying to lose some in the next 7 weeks to departure, to be sure (especially with all the restaurants that are on schedule, lol) but that throws a huge spanner in the works ....

well, anyway, I probably wouldn't have had the guts to do those slides ... I chicken out from Summit Plummet, so ... well ... lol ...

Safety first but the population is 'growing', poor design choice IMO

even the smaller WP in our area/Sandusky offer at several tubes to hold 400 pds via double riders. Persons of size can ride solo easily. Not up to speed on VB, any like offerings there?

Did a quick search as to weight limits in Orlando parks, only restriction i found re WDW's was #375 on Blizzard Beach Gondola. Aquatica's range from #300 to #600.

Curious for those turned away @ VB, are TM's eyeballing guests or do you have to step on scale?popcorn::

Last edited:

even the smaller WP in our area/Sandusky offer at several tubes to hold 400 pds via double riders. Persons of size can ride solo easily. Not up to speed on VB, any like offerings there?

Did a quick search as to weight limits in Orlando parks, only restriction i found re WDW's was #375 on Blizzard Beach Gondola. Aquatica's range from #300 to #600.

Curious for those turned away @ VB, are TM's eyeballing guests or do you have to step on scale?popcorn::

According to my kid's report from yesterday, it's only the one set of body slides with the 200 lb limit. They weigh you on every ride though. He was with my husband and they had to weigh together before going on the together rides and he knew that number (300 for both of them), so the scale display must show up somewhere. He said the individual slides, he couldn't see the scale number, but everyone had to be weighed and many people in front of them got turned away on the 200 limit slide and it was clear why. I'm so glad I'm not there with them now. Wearing a swimsuit all day is enough trauma for me - I don't need to worry about public weigh-ins, too!

According to my kid's report from yesterday, it's only the one set of body slides with the 200 lb limit. They weigh you on every ride though. He was with my husband and they had to weigh together before going on the together rides and he knew that number (300 for both of them), so the scale display must show up somewhere. He said the individual slides, he couldn't see the scale number, but everyone had to be weighed and many people in front of them got turned away on the 200 limit slide and it was clear why. I'm so glad I'm not there with them now. Wearing a swimsuit all day is enough trauma for me - I don't need to worry about public weigh-ins, too!
Wow, that's crazy! I'm 5'10" and 170. I'm close to the weight limit. Unbelievable!

Which two slides have the 200 lb limit?
Just wondering if they'll be any ones my hubby and I are interested in riding. Sounds like majority is 300 though...

Last thing you want to do is be weighed on vacation when indulging in treats lol

That's a little crazy. The average weight of a male today is 196 lbs. I'm 185 but most of my dad friends are over 200 but I don't consider them overweight just have a dad belly. I wonder if this is something they can address in the future. My local water park has 3 trap door slides but they do not have a weight limit.

Wow. That's surprisingly low, considering a normal BMI for the male population - even being slightly overweight would put you over!

I think those 2 slides are drop door, and they look like really small tubes. I don't think a big tall person could fit on those, ignoring weight. I don't think there's much of a weight limit on the ones that use the big rafts or tubes. I think there are maybe 3 slides with the lower weight limit, and at least 7 with really no weight limit. I never could see the weight measurement on the ones we did. It's visible to the TMs, but I never could see the display. However, we only did the raft slides and Krakatau coaster. They did weigh everyone together on those, so you could try to blame it on your DH:rolleyes1

The scales are at the tap entrances for the serpentine slides. And the team members there were pretty proactive in informing anyone about the weight limits.

From what I've read, the problem is that the tubes were flexing and little more than they anticipated due to the higher g-forces. The trap door can hold the weight, they were just worried about the supports on the tube slides. This is not a problem on the plunge slide since it does not have twist and turns.

I'm guessing it wasn't their design choice to be that low. They must have thought it would be fine for 300 lbs since that's what they started with. From hearing about other rides plans in theory and what actually happened in practice, I'm thinking they just didn't quite line up again. Universal takes safety very seriously so I'm wondering if they put it down lower than needed for the time being and if they'll be able to increase it eventually. I would expect they wouldn't like having a weight max so low either. But figuring out how to redesign this and doing it would involve closing the slides temporarily. They wouldn't want to do that during this time while the park is at it's busiest. (I don't have an inside scoop if they will adjust it - this is just speculation).

I think those 2 slides are drop door, and they look like really small tubes. I don't think a big tall person could fit on those, ignoring weight. I don't think there's much of a weight limit on the ones that use the big rafts or tubes. I think there are maybe 3 slides with the lower weight limit, and at least 7 with really no weight limit. I never could see the weight measurement on the ones we did. It's visible to the TMs, but I never could see the display. However, we only did the raft slides and Krakatau coaster. They did weigh everyone together on those, so you could try to blame it on your DH:rolleyes1
Good to know about height being an issue. I'm not sure when we will finally get to try VB out. Hubby is 6'5" but under 200 lbs so we will see if height is an issue if weight is fine.

I'm hearing things about body slides, now tubes... Are these body slides, or tube slides that have the weight limit? Cause I never go onto the body slides anyway, but tube ones where you usually are with other people, those are the one's I usually go on. Would this be 200 per person, or tube?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!