VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

We all still technically own at VWL though DDad - don't forget that! If they want to do a "DBA" good for them but I shall mostly reference the proper name. Kind of like my mother often called for Kathryn instead of Kathy and no, it wasn't because I was in trouble. :goodvibes (well, maybe sometimes but not always! :rotfl:)

:laughing: My father always called me Julie Ann (that's my full name) trouble or not. I always hated it! :laughing: Hence the dropping of Ann.

And it will forever be VWL to me! ::yes:: I'm stubborn that way. :D

With a few days to go, not sure we are going to be leaving town. Tammys mom, though showing a few little signs of improvement, still a long ways to go. We can cancel the 1st 2 days we had tacked on early in the trip as they aren't affecting our DVC pts., but the remainder of the trip is at BLT. I feel we can get DVC to help us out and put pts back in system if need be, even the day before. Obviously, my DMIL is most important thing at hand, and the trips will come later, but keeping positive thoughts that all will go well, if we go on trip, it means she is better and back home.

Jimmy, Sending prayers and love for Tammy's mom.
Family always comes before anything, from past experience I've seen that Disney fully appreciates this too.

Cindy
I couldn't agree more!
God, family, work then extra curricular stuff(WDW :-))

With a few days to go, not sure we are going to be leaving town. Tammys mom, though showing a few little signs of improvement, still a long ways to go. We can cancel the 1st 2 days we had tacked on early in the trip as they aren't affecting our DVC pts., but the remainder of the trip is at BLT. I feel we can get DVC to help us out and put pts back in system if need be, even the day before. Obviously, my DMIL is most important thing at hand, and the trips will come later, but keeping positive thoughts that all will go well, if we go on trip, it means she is better and back home.

Hope Tammy's mother continues to improve!

We will send our thoughts and prayers out to your mother-in-law, Jimmy.

On a completely separate note, I'm hoping that some of you have had experience with Disney around Christmas and can give me some guidance. We are staying at Saratoga Springs from Dec 21-24 en route further south. Basic plan is Disney Springs and resort hopping. However, we are considering MVMCP on December 22. I'm just wondering if we are completely off our rockers for considering going to the final Christmas party of the year. We really want the special experience and ambiance of the party, I'm just worried about excessive crowds. Have any of you done the late season parties? Are we crazy? Plan B would be to go to one of the first parties of the season when we take a longer trip November 2018. I just don't want to have to wait that long!

If we don't do the party, any other suggestions for neat things to do outside the parks during the visit?

On a completely separate note, I'm hoping that some of you have had experience with Disney around Christmas and can give me some guidance. We are staying at Saratoga Springs from Dec 21-24 en route further south. Basic plan is Disney Springs and resort hopping. However, we are considering MVMCP on December 22. I'm just wondering if we are completely off our rockers for considering going to the final Christmas party of the year. We really want the special experience and ambiance of the party, I'm just worried about excessive crowds. Have any of you done the late season parties? Are we crazy? Plan B would be to go to one of the first parties of the season when we take a longer trip November 2018. I just don't want to have to wait that long!

If we don't do the party, any other suggestions for neat things to do outside the parks during the visit?

We haven't quite hit the Christmas but was close last year. I think we departed on the 21st or so. The thing about the parties is that they have a limit on tickets sold and we have been to more than one sold out special party at MK. They are doable and I wouldn't hesitate to go.

I agree with KAT, the party is limited in folks there so its a great way to enjoy the park but with less people. I say plan to do it and I like the idea of checking out the resorts too. Be sure to see WL and VWL, as IMO, its the best on property that time of year.

Twinkle, Kat and Nikki, thanks for the prayers, they go the distance in getting her back to where she needs to be

DDad and I go to the World every December. I personally would not go to the last party and would rather go to the earlier one next year. But that's just me. However, a party ticket will get you into the park at 4PM and could be a nice day.

Here's some things we like to do:
-Take a sleigh ride over at Fort Wilderness
-Ride the monorail loop and get off at each of the resorts to enjoy the decorations, have a cocktail or get a bite to eat. Do some shopping. Enjoy the immensity of the Grand Floridian lobby while listening to the piano and/or brass choir. End at the Contemporary and go to the Top of the World Lounge for the fireworks. Maybe even meet up with a Groupie or 2 :)
-Wilderness Lodge will have evening entertainment in the lobby: choirs, bell choirs Sweet Adeline's one year. I believe the other resorts do as well. This always puts me in the Christmas spirit. Eat some gingerbread.

After I have my coffee, I'm sure I can think of some more.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm just so conflicted. We are thinking of doing it as the kids' Christmas surprise this year (we are shifting to experiences vs. toys for our gifting). We will likely only do the party once, and without having the added expense of park tickets during this trip, it kind of makes sense. I keep reading that for the most part the crowds are less than a typical day at the park and it's easier to get onto the rides. We don't really have an interest in the character meet n greets, mainly just the atmosphere, the parade, shows, fireworks, and rides. And to simply just be able to spend a few hours in the Magic Kingdom enjoying ourselves. But if the crowds are crazy, that eliminate some of the enjoyment. We'll see how long I waffle back and forth on the issue!

DDad and I go to the World every December. I personally would not go to the last party and would rather go to the earlier one next year. But that's just me. However, a party ticket will get you into the park at 4PM and could be a nice day.

Here's some things we like to do:
-Take a sleigh ride over at Fort Wilderness
-Ride the monorail loop and get off at each of the resorts to enjoy the decorations, have a cocktail or get a bite to eat. Do some shopping. Enjoy the immensity of the Grand Floridian lobby while listening to the piano and/or brass choir. End at the Contemporary and go to the Top of the World Lounge for the fireworks. Maybe even meet up with a Groupie or 2 :)
-Wilderness Lodge will have evening entertainment in the lobby: choirs, bell choirs Sweet Adeline's one year. I believe the other resorts do as well. This always puts me in the Christmas spirit. Eat some gingerbread.

After I have my coffee, I'm sure I can think of some more.

All great suggestions. I'll add one more which is always a must do for us & easy to work in if you're doing the monorail resort decorations crawl. Visit GF in the evening & be sure to catch one of the GF's orchestra's performances. During the holiday season they play Christmas music. It's fabulous.

Jimmy - continuted prayers for Stella. I'm sorry you might have to cancel your trip, but as you said nothing is more important than family. :hug:

I keep reading that for the most part the crowds are less than a typical day at the park and it's easier to get onto the rides. We don't really have an interest in the character meet n greets, mainly just the atmosphere, the parade, shows, fireworks, and rides. And to simply just be able to spend a few hours in the Magic Kingdom enjoying ourselves. But if the crowds are crazy, that eliminate some of the enjoyment. We'll see how long I waffle back and forth on the issue!

Nikki...I'd say go for it. Since you won't be in the parks otherwise for this trip, it makes sense to enjoy the MVMCP this year. And the park crowds during regular hours are crushing at that time of year, so going to an event like that with a cap on ticket sales makes sense to me. I haven't attended a MVMCP event, but we have been at WDW during Christmas week a couple of times. If I were doing a trip to WDW at this time of year with no park admissions, I'd definitely go for it!

As for other things to do, Kathy, Jimmy, Di and Julie have given you some great tips. Personally, I enjoy the WL lobby where they switch over to Christmas music. Sitting there with that huge tree, the fireplace and all the decorations is the perfect Christmas setting for us. And on Christmas Eve, Santa makes an appearance to let you takes some pictures with him!

I don't know how old your children are, but I am mostly in the camp of doing things sooner rather than later. You just never know what unexpected things life can throw at you. Enjoy your trip planning. :santa:

Thanks for all the advice. I'm just so conflicted. We are thinking of doing it as the kids' Christmas surprise this year (we are shifting to experiences vs. toys for our gifting). We will likely only do the party once, and without having the added expense of park tickets during this trip, it kind of makes sense. I keep reading that for the most part the crowds are less than a typical day at the park and it's easier to get onto the rides. We don't really have an interest in the character meet n greets, mainly just the atmosphere, the parade, shows, fireworks, and rides. And to simply just be able to spend a few hours in the Magic Kingdom enjoying ourselves. But if the crowds are crazy, that eliminate some of the enjoyment. We'll see how long I waffle back and forth on the issue!

Keep in mind the wait for the parade will kill some time if you want a good spot. The only Character meet worthwhile is the seven dwarves IMHO (but only if your within first twenty in line). It's more crowded than you think in my experience.

Keep in mind the wait for the parade will kill some time if you want a good spot. The only Character meet worthwhile is the seven dwarves IMHO (but only if your within first twenty in line). It's more crowded than you think in my experience.

Are the dwarves at the Christmas party too? I thought they only appeared at MNSSHP.

I have family that really likes to do the parties so have done them all thru out the seasons. :rolleyes1 As I mentioned above the parties themselves are capped at a certain number of tickets and any can sell out so don't let that deter you. A party in November can be just the same as a party in late Dec ( I didn't mention that we did the party late last Dec and it really felt no different to me). Personally I'd lean towards do this trip vs next November because I'm assuming you'll have park tickets next year? What bugs me the most is that these parties are now more or less the price of a single day ticket. So it's also more economical to just have another day on your regular tickets next year vs adding a party ticket to the cost or a regular ticket. So spending that money this year gets you in to the parks and doesn't double up on costs. You can enter between 4 and 7 and should be able to book FPs on the party ticket to use for that time too.

For parades it's pretty easy but to get a front row spot in Frontierland for the second parade close to the Turkey leg cart just 30 minutes or less before it starts. For the first parade walk up to the front of the park. Most people have moved into the park by that time so it's actually a little less crazy up near the entrance.

Warning - it will seem crazy at the 4pm arrival and for any of the parties you'll wonder what you got yourself into it will slowly clear out to manageable levels. That's where a couple of FPs for the 4 to 7 time are helpful.

We typically like to watch the parades in Frontierland and then hit some rides while everyone else watches the rest of the parade. I imagine we'd probably do that again, even though it would mean missing the Main Street atmosphere. That might have to be my compromise!

Warning - it will seem crazy at the 4pm arrival and for any of the parties you'll wonder what you got yourself into it will slowly clear out to manageable levels. That's where a couple of FPs for the 4 to 7 time are helpful.

We were actually thinking of doing a "Christmas Dinner" at Liberty Tree Tavern at 4pm (made the reservation already in case we decide to do the party). We like the idea of a special Christmas meal before we party, and it's such a nice traditional meal. And that allows us to avoid the initial insanity. Then do a FP (2 if we can squeeze them) before the FP window closes. I know most people advise against a long sit down meal during hard ticket events, but we are looking at it as adding to the overall experience.

And the lack of the park tickets for this trip is another large reason we are thinking of doing it now. Don't know that I want to pay that much extra on top of the regular park tickets when we go in November 2018. It would get us into a park to at least be able to enjoy it for several hours, with special atmosphere and events on top of that. I think I've almost convinced myself!

I don't know how old your children are, but I am mostly in the camp of doing things sooner rather than later. You just never know what unexpected things life can throw at you. Enjoy your trip planning. :santa:

My kids are 8 and 5. My daughter is on the cusp of no longer believing in Christmas magic, which just breaks my heart. It's another reason I'm leaning towards doing it this year. She wants very badly to believe, I think that's what has saved us so far!

And I finally figured out how to quote multiple responses at once! You'd think I was completely technologically inept with how hard a time I've had figuring out stuff on this site.

We were actually thinking of doing a "Christmas Dinner" at Liberty Tree Tavern at 4pm (made the reservation already in case we decide to do the party). We like the idea of a special Christmas meal before we party, and it's such a nice traditional meal. And that allows us to avoid the initial insanity. Then do a FP (2 if we can squeeze them) before the FP window closes. I know most people advise against a long sit down meal during hard ticket events, but we are looking at it as adding to the overall experience.

And the lack of the park tickets for this trip is another large reason we are thinking of doing it now. Don't know that I want to pay that much extra on top of the regular park tickets when we go in November 2018. It would get us into a park to at least be able to enjoy it for several hours, with special atmosphere and events on top of that. I think I've almost convinced myself!

My kids are 8 and 5. My daughter is on the cusp of no longer believing in Christmas magic, which just breaks my heart. It's another reason I'm leaning towards doing it this year. She wants very badly to believe, I think that's what has saved us so far!

And I finally figured out how to quote multiple responses at once! You'd think I was completely technologically inept with how hard a time I've had figuring out stuff on this site.
I still haven't figured that out...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter