VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Jimmy...I've had the honor of visiting the Arizona Memorial in the past. But since this is my DW's first trip to Hawaii, I told her we couldn't go there without her experiencing Pearl Harbor. It is a somber experience, similar to a trip to Arlington Cemetery, but it is good to maintain the knowledge and collective memory of that day in our history.

I'll report back on the luau experience. My countdown for the trip is at 51. :)
I had forgot you had told me you had gone there before. Currently, I am reading a book we bought my Dad for his Bday titled "All The Gallant Men" by Donald Stratton. It is a 1st hand acct. of a PH survivor on the Ariz. It is a easy read, can't put down kind of book and before you go, I suggest it highly as a read. I told Tammy just now that I hope she and Casey both read it before we return next Feb. I think it will impact them like it has me and will make the experience all the more real and insightful

Without a doubt, JT, your post made me chuckle loudly and brightened my day. :laughing: The true story is that I humbly beseeched the manager, falling on bended knee to ask his forgiveness for deigning to impugn his fine establishment. Out of the sheer goodness of his generous heart, he insisted we be compensated for our somewhat lackluster meal. Who was I to argue? :hippie: Too funny, JT, too funny! In all sincerity, Gary was superb regarding comments we made once and in greeting us on our last couple of visits, and while he can't work miracles 24-7, there is no doubting his commitment and dedication to keeping AP a jewel in the Signatures crown.

Happy to be of service Sleepy:-)
I truly have been inspired to return to give AP a try again after reading the great reviews from groupies

Welcome back Dad and Di!! Dad, wfc4life spoke of very similar circumstances when I saw him back in Oct in an ECV. Praying for your next trip to go smoother

We took advantage of the Minnie vans on several occasions. Great service! We will undoubtedly use them again on future trips.

Rich told you about his ECV experiences. If he is still compromised for our May trip, I'll look into the rental of one from an outside service. If anyone has had good experience with a company, I would welcome your input.

Sitting waiting for the furnace repair person to arrive, so have to time to check in with the Groupies ! Grateful it is sitting just above freezing. No furnace for the night and the house temp dropped about 4 C.

We enjoyed using the Minnie vans during our December trip and will use them again.

As for ECV rental companies,, I have had good success with Buena Vista scooters. They are a preferred provider with Disney, which means they can leave the scooter and pick it back up from Bell Services -- they do not need to meet you. There are 4 or five approved companies that can do that; all thee others you have to arrange to meet them.

One reason I really like them is the design of the tiller of the scooter models they use -- it does not make my hands hurt ! My first ECV rental at Disney was from Walker and they use a different brand of sscooter and the way the lever works on those ones made my thumbs and hands very very painful. Night and day difference with the Buena Vista design.

The Disabilities forum on here has whole threads about ECVs and even the tiller-thumb issue. If you search post by me you will find a lengthy post about the tiller thumb issue. It may not be a problem for you, but something to consider.

BV's scooters for us have always been clean and work well. We have been quite happy with them and will use them for our future rental needs.

SW

I had forgot you had told me you had gone there before. Currently, I am reading a book we bought my Dad for his Bday titled "All The Gallant Men" by Donald Stratton. It is a 1st hand acct. of a PH survivor on the Ariz. It is a easy read, can't put down kind of book and before you go, I suggest it highly as a read. I told Tammy just now that I hope she and Casey both read it before we return next Feb. I think it will impact them like it has me and will make the experience all the more real and insightful

Jimmy...thanks for the suggestion on the book. I'll download it onto my Kindle today. :thanks:

Thanks for the pictures Denlo! I had thought they just had 1 grill on the east end and 2 on the western end.

Those seem to be an improvement over what was there before........

p905593679-4.jpg

That would be the only grill that was left before all the changes, sitting back at the end of the sand on the left side. Old charcoal was left in it the last time I looked and it was a bit rusty. :(

And an oldie I saw when looking for the grill photo:

p897240460-4.jpg
:sad1:

And these guys that seem to have flown north for the summer and never came back.

b

The gas grills are a definite improvement over the old charcoal grills. They need to change them at all of the resorts.

I miss seeing the geese as we drive up to gatehouse. They always gave me a thrill that we were almost there. I have to admit I really like the new location of the buffalo and calf at the end cap of CCV. I see them all the time while walking around the resort. Love it.

Jimmy...I've had the honor of visiting the Arizona Memorial in the past. But since this is my DW's first trip to Hawaii, I told her we couldn't go there without her experiencing Pearl Harbor. It is a somber experience, similar to a trip to Arlington Cemetery, but it is good to maintain the knowledge and collective memory of that day in our history.

I'll report back on the luau experience. My countdown for the trip is at 51. :)

Only 64 days for us to arrive at Aulani. It would have been fun to have a fellow VWL fan there. But our trip is scheduled for the April dates because of a Celebrity cruise back to Vancouver BC. We were enjoy combining cruises we days ashore.

Hope...I'm sure you will have a lot of fun planning your trip. I'll try not to turn this into an Aulani thread! :)

So, to get us back on track, I just remembered something that I had forgotten about. Did anyone notice that they moved our favorite bison topiary once again? It was on the corner of the CCV wing by the new salon. Now it has moved to the other corner of that wing closer to Geyser Point (and VWL !). I was surprised when I saw it there a couple of months ago.

I never new that the bison were near the salon. They were at the end cap on November 17, 2016 when I took this photo.

IMG_3865.jpg

Hi all. So sorry to have missed the B'Days and special events shared here.

Now back from nine (9) days in The World. Great weather (highs in mid ~70s, lows mid ~60s); two (2) days of rain; nine (9) days of smiles. This trip was to replace the unfortunate cancellation of the Groupie Meet Trip we had to cancel last December due to my knee surgery.

I wish I could say all was good with the knee, but The World presents a lot of walking, and my knee was talking to me the entire time. We still got around and did what we wanted. We were in a one (1) bedroom villa at AK (yeah, sorry), but we did, of course, visit The Lodge. It was the first time we had seen Roaring Fork since the remodel; I wish I could say I was impressed, but I saw no real improvements, just stuff moved around. So many other DVC CS eateries offer so much more in selection. I know they added the new Geyser Point, and have spent an hour or two sitting testing it out with friends, but I was just hoping for more in the new Roaring Fork.

My DD and SIL were with us and we had such a great time. SIL wanted so much to stay at AK. We stayed in a one (1) bedroom, as that was all that was available. We had the opportunity to stay in a two (2) BR at SSR, but SIL really really wanted AK. So guess who had to sleep on the pull out.

The last few days I rented one of those electric carts due to my knee talking so loud. I had never driven one of those things. In the wide open spaces, it was great! But add a crowd, and it was an extremely tense situation. I never realized that so many people would jump in front of you, dart across with no warning, or walk right into you while on their PHONE. And small children became the unexpected obstacles at every turn. The crowd made the ride a white knuckler for sure; the intensity of your attention to not become the traumatic experience of the day for anyone was exhausting.

I had the wonderful eye opening experience of using a wheel chair for a time when young, and remember that people would not look at you, or would talk about you to others with you sitting right there. Down low is a forgotten world. I revisited that world on that electric cart. Just so you all know, there are really no brakes, as such, on those things. I wont get into it here, but let us just say they STILL COAST. Jump in front of me, and as quickly as I can remove my hands from the forward handle, I will still coast about a foot. If you see me coming, please don't play chicken with me, and please, STOP PLAYIMG WITH YOUR PHONE when walking forward in a crowd.

Glad you survived your Scooter trip DDad!!! Your experience is pretty spot on and why I used to sometimes jump in on a thread that used to talk about getting a scooter to make it so much easier getting around. Sometimes it's down right scary! My sister uses a power wheel chair full time. It adds some interesting moments for sure.

Here's a link to a permanent sticky on ECV rentals and it has all the preferred providers plus some others that are not - but that simply means you have to meet them both receiving and returning the ECV. We had used Care Medical for a scooter rental for one trip following a meniscus transplant DH had as well as wheelchair rentals and lift chairs for my mom but I see they have closed up that business. Too bad as we were very happy with their service. One nice things about Buena Vista is they have a spot right onsite at BWV too.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...trip-next-trip-wish-trip.595713/#post-5873006

Sitting waiting for the furnace repair person to arrive, so have to time to check in with the Groupies ! Grateful it is sitting just above freezing. No furnace for the night and the house temp dropped about 4 C.
Oh goodness. We are mid 70's in GA today. Here's wishing your furnace a speedy recovery!

As for ECV rental companies,, I have had good success with Buena Vista scooters.
This is who my mom uses, as well!

So, to get us back on track, I just remembered something that I had forgotten about. Did anyone notice that they moved our favorite bison topiary once again? It was on the corner of the CCV wing by the new salon. Now it has moved to the other corner of that wing closer to Geyser Point (and VWL !). I was surprised when I saw it there a couple of months ago.

When was it on the other side? It was in its current location when we were there over the 4th of July. The other side is a very strange place to put it. Glad they moved it to its current location

Hi Groupie friends,

I’m gazing out at what looks like 7 inches of snow, but, it’s the weekend, and we are expecting 60’s and possibly 70 on Tuesday and Wednesday!

I spent 11 glorious days in Sarasota at my sisters place in late January. I am by no means wishing my life away at all, but I do look forward to a time when we can be in warm, sunny Florida all winter. :goodvibes

I am asking for pixiedust: as some may remember, I’ve been looking to make a move and I have been interviewing a lot over the last year. I have not found the right fit. I had a second interview 2 weeks ago, and I am waiting for them to complete the round, hopefully will hear this week. Fingers crossed, I need a change!

Hope you all enjoy your Sunday!

Hi Groupie friends,

I’m gazing out at what looks like 7 inches of snow, but, it’s the weekend, and we are expecting 60’s and possibly 70 on Tuesday and Wednesday!

I spent 11 glorious days in Sarasota at my sisters place in late January. I am by no means wishing my life away at all, but I do look forward to a time when we can be in warm, sunny Florida all winter. :goodvibes

I am asking for pixiedust: as some may remember, I’ve been looking to make a move and I have been interviewing a lot over the last year. I have not found the right fit. I had a second interview 2 weeks ago, and I am waiting for them to complete the round, hopefully will hear this week. Fingers crossed, I need a change!

Hope you all enjoy your Sunday!

pixiedust:

I do hope you hear good news!

Corinne, sending you Moose Dust, well wishes and prayers for the change to take place soon

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter