VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Hey Groupies! I have to share. I sent my dear wife to WDW with her long time chum without me. ( I know, it’s a sacrifice, but she deserves it.) I had to borrow a big chunk of 2019 points, but I set her up in a 1 bdr at VWL for 5 nights. It wasn’t her first choice of resorts. Being a full fledged (mostly lurking) VWL Groupie & Lover, I persevered ( translated, twisted her arm) and convinced her to give it a go, and she did. She’s absolutely loving her stay!! She says the resort is growing on her. :)

Anyway, Kat4Disney will be happy to hear - I made a couple of room requests: Upper floor and upper floor. They got first floor. :rolleyes2 But, the wonderful CMs fixed it and moved her up to the 3rd floor.

Now for the good part. The first night, after returning late from MK, her chum went to plug in the ol’ CPAP machine and the outlet didn’t work. They called the front desk, who sent someone up to look at it. It was determined the switch on the wall was the culprit. They got it working and all was well. The next day they got a box of chocolates and a letter of apology from the manager for the inconvenience!

Now I will tell you. I’ve had small and large issues with the room ( like ac not working at HHI) and I’ve been mostly pleased with the outcome, but I’ve never had this kind of treatment. Above and beyond. I love the CMs at Wilderness Lodge. Kudos to you owners! And thank you for sharing your resort with us.

P.S. By Golly, someday I’m gonna own VWL points!! Then I’ll be a Groupie, Lover & Owner :yay:

Anyway, Kat4Disney will be happy to hear - I made a couple of room requests: Upper floor and upper floor. They got first floor. :rolleyes2 But, the wonderful CMs fixed it and moved her up to the 3rd floor.

Hey - I'm not the only one that gets the complete opposite of the request! Woo hoo!!!! :laughing:

(But I'm also happy they were able to get it switched and are enjoying their trip! I think I see that add on in your future! ;) )

@Sleepy Sheep :welcome: and glad to see you joining in! Even happier to see that VWL (yes, I noticed that's what you called it) is living up to its reputation as a place that cares for its guests. Moreover, I'm thrilled your wife is becoming a convert, as well. There is a certain lure to the Lodge that's hard to explain unless you've actually been there. I'm happy she and her chum are having a wonderful time. Thanks for sharing!

Now for the good part. The first night, after returning late from MK, her chum went to plug in the ol’ CPAP machine and the outlet didn’t work. They called the front desk, who sent someone up to look at it. It was determined the switch on the wall was the culprit. They got it working and all was well. The next day they got a box of chocolates and a letter of apology from the manager for the inconvenience!

Now I will tell you. I’ve had small and large issues with the room ( like ac not working at HHI) and I’ve been mostly pleased with the outcome, but I’ve never had this kind of treatment. Above and beyond. I love the CMs at Wilderness Lodge. Kudos to you owners! And thank you for sharing your resort with us.

P.S. By Golly, someday I’m gonna own VWL points!! Then I’ll be a Groupie, Lover & Owner :yay:

It's so great to hear that your wife and friend got this treatment. I agree with Kathy that I've never been "rewarded" for calling in a maintenance issue, but it is wonderful to hear that the VWL CM's took care of it.

And kudos to you for putting together such a nice trip for your wife and her friend. I think an add-on at VWL is definitely in your future! Thanks for sharing your comments, and feel free to stick around and banter with us whenever the spirit moves you. We'd love to add a Sleepy Sheep to go along with our Sleepy Dog! :)

WL management seems to acknowledge room issues and sends notes and/or something special. Other resorts vary. At BRV we noticed during our last stay that the electrical in the rooms needs work. Burned out bulbs, switches that need replacing, GFCI's that are defective and electrical outlets that won't hold the plug in. Years of wear and they seldom get replaced during room refurbs.

:earsboy: Bill

Sleepy Sheep - So sorry . . .once you openly step foot into this thread, you are a groupie and forever so marked, and there are certain things expected of you. You are expected to post every once in a while and share your thoughts on our beloved Lodge, good or bad; expected to help those with questions or concerns about all sorts of things concerning The World and the opportunities there of; expected to share your excitement or disappointments in your life, when appropriate, that allow the rest of use to support you; and ,of course, we need to see your pictures! So glad to hear from you; jump in often! :jumping3:

Hey Groupies! I have to share. I sent my dear wife to WDW with her long time chum without me. ( I know, it’s a sacrifice, but she deserves it.) I had to borrow a big chunk of 2019 points, but I set her up in a 1 bdr at VWL for 5 nights. It wasn’t her first choice of resorts. Being a full fledged (mostly lurking) VWL Groupie & Lover, I persevered ( translated, twisted her arm) and convinced her to give it a go, and she did. She’s absolutely loving her stay!! She says the resort is growing on her. :)

We experienced something very similar in June. We checked into our 1 bedroom and the frig was not working. We didn't realize this until after we had filled it with groceries, turned it down and it still wasn't cooling at 11:30pm. Called the "front desk" and nothing happened even though they said someone would be up. Called back to the real WL number and someone was there within 10 minutes. Checked the frig, messed with it a bit, gave us a studio sized frig to put things that were a MUST keep cold incase it still didn't work (we were asked to call in the morning if it still wasn't cooling). We were also give a 200.00 room credit and 3 anytime FP+ for each of the 4 of us. I was very impressed.

Edited to add - we didn't ask for anything other than a working frig.

I think this is a good time to mention that for any new Groupies (i.e., lurkers who have come out into the open), please feel free to PM me if you'd like your trip to be listed on Page 1. Some enjoy doing this and others don't, but it's a free service.*

*Herding sheep with a dog not included in this introductory offer. pirate:

Welcome to the Groupies Sleepy Sheep!!!!
Like Dizny Dad says, once you have posted here we automatically claim you a groupie. You don't have to own points to be a member, just pass the requisite Love of the Lodge. You obviously have:-) Great thing you did for your DW and her friend.

Just sitting here drinking my morning coffee, and something struck me. I know we often claim to be the friendliest group on the DIS, and looking back on my association with the Groupies, I think that's true more now than ever before. Yet, for me, it's more than that. While I've only met a handful of the Groupies over the years, in some regards, I've come to consider you as family. It's no secret that I've not been overly fond of Disney and some of their decisions the past few years; still, I look forward to checking in with my "family" to see how and what they're doing. There's a certain amount of comfort I get, a familiarity with our band of brothers and sisters, which on a very basic level keeps me in the Disney mood even when I'm highly annoyed with Disney. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that in many aspects, this thread is Disney to me much more than the actual places we visit. Walt's vision, though I'm sure he still wanted to make money, was a place for families--and this thread is my Disney family, my Disney experience, and holds many of my Disney memories. I can't thank you all enough.

Thanks Sleepy. What makes Disney for us is the feeling of inclusion. We love bantering about the topics presented on this thread, and look forward to meeting all of the groupies when in The World. But it really has been this thread that has made the difference for us in experiencing what Walt had in mind.

Very well stated, Sleepy. I completely agree that the people on this thread have truly enhanced my Disney experience. And while we may hold different opinions about various topics, I have always seen a mutual respect here that is so sorely lacking in the world these days. I've enjoyed meeting so many of you, and I miss those who used to be regulars but have moved on (thinking of Muushka, Eliza, Stopher, etc). If you had told me 12 years ago that I would count as friends a number of people that I "met" on the internet, I would have told said you were crazy. You all are a blessing.

DDad...I hadn't thought of it in quite that way but I think you are right. I look forward to our WDW trips, but especially to seeing you and others. It has been quite a while since we had a "trip without Groupies". :)

So true, so very true are the words above that Sleepy, Dad and Granny have so well captured. Just this week, I removed myself from a FB group, which used to be very friendly, but turned south rather quickly. I have enough pessimism, negativity, etc. in my everyday walk through work. We all need escapism. Isn't that why we all go to WDW in the 1st place? :D

So this place is my retreat in the AM, before the day starts. Its a safe haven, as I know I won't be blasted by a naysayer who may judge me because my life needs lifting up for whatever reason. But its also a place to celebrate life pleasures too, including the the love of the Lodge, along with many other things that we all enjoy and know we can share the joy here, again, not being blasted for being happy. Sad that others can't be happy for us in our happiest times, but would rather tear us down.

We are a unique group indeed, and one I am proud to be a part of!

This may be a strange question, but am hoping some Groupies may have the answer...

We are considering a 1 bedroom villa at either CCV or VWL for our next WDW trip [it will be part of a split stay bracketing a DCL cruise, the other part will be our first stay at AKL Jambo House]. For a number of reasons we always do laundry during our trips, so are looking forward to it being in the suite instead of down the hall or across the resort [at least with WL one is in the same building!! :-) ].

My question has to do with the stacked washer / dryer in the villa. I have gotten used to my (very annoying) HE front load LG washer at home, whose normal wash cycles take from 1.5 to over two hours long (!!), and its partner in crime dryer whose cycles are a blissfully short 30 minutes or so [mostly because the washer *is* effective at spinning the water out].

I've managed to find the GE manual for the stacked washer/dryer at CCV, but it gives no information about how long the cycles are.

So, Groupies: how long is a typical wash cycle and how long is a typical dry cycle in the washer/dryers in the VWL or CCV 1+ bedroom villas ?

Thanks very much for your assistance !

SW

So, Groupies: how long is a typical wash cycle and how long is a typical dry cycle in the washer/dryers in the VWL or CCV 1+ bedroom villas ?

We do laundry every trip but I don't think we've ever timed it. The wash cycle does seem to take an hour or so, and the dryer seems to take at least that long. At least as far as I recall.
But you do have me curious...are you planning how much time to allocate to laundry on your trip? We tend to run the washer while we're getting up and ready in the morning, and run the dryer as we head out the door. So it really doesn't take up any more of our day since we go to the parks late in the morning anyway.

As to your question, I'm sure someone else will have a better response for you. Sounds like a lot of fun planned. :)

We do laundry every trip but I don't think we've ever timed it. The wash cycle does seem to take an hour or so, and the dryer seems to take at least that long. At least as far as I recall.
But you do have me curious...are you planning how much time to allocate to laundry on your trip? We tend to run the washer while we're getting up and ready in the morning, and run the dryer as we head out the door. So it really doesn't take up any more of our day since we go to the parks late in the morning anyway.

As to your question, I'm sure someone else will have a better response for you. Sounds like a lot of fun planned. :)

Yeah we're trying to figure out how laundry will fit in with other things. Park-wise we are only doing MVMCP so it makes it easier to fit laundry in since it is an "enjoy the resort" stay, but I'd still like an idea of how long a load takes. Also, thanks to allergies we usually have to run a wash load through twice to actually rinse it clean, which complicates things.

SW

Yeah we're trying to figure out how laundry will fit in with other things. Park-wise we are only doing MVMCP so it makes it easier to fit laundry in since it is an "enjoy the resort" stay, but I'd still like an idea of how long a load takes. Also, thanks to allergies we usually have to run a wash load through twice to actually rinse it clean, which complicates things.

SW

I'm relatively certain you can select the wash time so probably as little as 20-25 minutes or so if you selected a 6-8 minute wash and on up from there. For certain they are way faster than any HE front load machines!!! The dryer will depend on how full but I'd tend to guess in the 45-50 minute range for a normal size load. For the most part though we also throw a load in and don't worry about it and then throw it in the dryer and don't worry about it - a big part of the convenience of having it in the room.

I'm relatively certain you can select the wash time so probably as little as 20-25 minutes or so if you selected a 6-8 minute wash and on up from there. For certain they are way faster than any HE front load machines!!! The dryer will depend on how full but I'd tend to guess in the 45-50 minute range for a normal size load. For the most part though we also throw a load in and don't worry about it and then throw it in the dryer and don't worry about it - a big part of the convenience of having it in the room.
I believe KAT is correct. I don't recall the wash cycle ever taking longer than half an hour. The dryer is likely a bit longer because the spin cycle in the washer isn't great.

Just back from CCV, the washer/dryer both had timed settings. We typically use the shortest time, 20+/- minutes, I think. H.E. machines don't save time or electricity, just water. Both were very quick, but we tend to not over load either, more small/medium loads are faster.

I have been lurking on VWL Lovers site for a while and am so glad to hear that once you post you’re a groupie forever! Well count me IN! We stayed at the Wilderness for the first time in 2014 then again in 2016, then 2017...Love, Love, Love it there! Planning a trip for 2019 and can’t wait!
:tinker:

You are definitely a groupie!!
Welcome to the groupies AlldayIdreamaboutDisney!!!!

I have been lurking on VWL Lovers site for a while and am so glad to hear that once you post you’re a groupie forever! Well count me IN! We stayed at the Wilderness for the first time in 2014 then again in 2016, then 2017...Love, Love, Love it there! Planning a trip for 2019 and can’t wait!
:tinker:
Well, it's about time you joined in! We love having new Groupies!! I started to correct your statement about "once you post you're a Groupie forever" when I realized that, technically, you're correct. If you don't post, we won't ever know you're reading along. So, to any other lurkers, come on down! We're offering a special membership fee: free! (well, there is a small $35 processing charge, but you can make that check payable to me, and ummm, I'll pass it along. . .)

:welcome:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter