VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

What did they change it from?
Our flight at 4:52 PM was dropped & we were changed to 6 AM. :confused3
I don't know much about how airlines determine the routes for the planes, but seems to me that the afternoon plane needs to show up in MCO for another run the next morning, why not take paying passengers along?

Gee folks, I had to jump in just to keep us from falling to the second page - I don't remember this thread ever being on page 2. We gotta keep up the good work!

Sounds like most are safe, and Corinne's report was a great read. Sleepy - Keep your wadders on, just in case! Glad to here all is OK with you Jimmy/Tammy.

We were invited to our new next door neighbors on Saturday night for an Open House. They are a wonderfully young couple with dogs & chicken; so nice to have them in the neighborhood. While there, we met some new folks from down the street (~1/4 mile - we have big blocks) that moved in last fall. They had noticed DiznyDi & I have Disney license plates on our cars, and asked us if we were DVC'rs. We briefly our involvement and excitement about participating in DVC. They responded with, "well, we own DVC point also, but mostly rent them out. I think we went two or three years ago, but we really don't think it is such a big draw." They mentioned that they were members since 1994, but at their age, that would have made them 13, so we figure they inherited them from family. We dropped the DVC conversation as it was obvious they thought we were ridiculous with our excitement. Nice people; but too serious in life for us.

The big storm has mostly moved out of our area--today, we're suffering through the after effects which, for us thus far, have been mild. The wind picked up quite a bit through the night, but calmed down around 2 a.m. The rain was nonstop but nothing like those in NC and SC have faced. It did flood a few roads around here, though none where we live. School was cancelled for today (yay!!) in order to allow people to recuperate and evaluate. It's still breezy, cloudy, and rainy off and on; however, we're still standing and only had minor leakage through our deck and walkout basement doors. I'm staying in today to work on lesson plans and line memorization for ARSENIC AND OLD LACE--we perform four shows in mid-October. Okay, to keep this Disney related, as well, it's seems odd to me to have points and never use them. Then again, not everyone has experiences such as we do, collectively. Even we have changed our vacation habits and try to spend less than we did in the past which means less park time, more resort time. That's okay with me.

Hi Groupies! :wave:

I've been out of pocket for a while, just made a mission trip down to Texas with some folks from my church. Had a memorable trip!

I'm glad to hear that everyone here seems to have weathered the storm so far without major damage. The flooding and continuing aftermath of the storm has been brutal, and I know that many are still dealing with flooding and power outages. Best wishes and prayers to everyone who is dealing with this storm.

I'm sure that a lot of you have seen that Disney announced a new Epcot nighttime show? Lots of time to take in Illuminations before it's done though. That's a nice thing that Disney did with that - an announcement more than a couple of weeks in advance! I think I have to do a Christmas trip now though - the Illuminations with the Holiday tag gets me every single time - it may be my favorite of all the shows and I will miss that coming around every year. :sad1:

I'm sure that a lot of you have seen that Disney announced a new Epcot nighttime show? Lots of time to take in Illuminations before it's done though. That's a nice thing that Disney did with that - an announcement more than a couple of weeks in advance! I think I have to do a Christmas trip now though - the Illuminations with the Holiday tag gets me every single time - it may be my favorite of all the shows and I will miss that coming around every year. :sad1:

Since we're in the EPCOT rumor mode, I saw this one today:

http://www.disneydining.com/mary-poppins-ride-rumored-for-walt-disney-world/

I think it would be a welcome addition to World Showcase.

As for Illuminations, I'm in the minority that don't particularly care for that show. Although the Holiday tag for it is a beautiful one, I completely agree with that.

I thought I'd post the link to the announcement details. Lots of changes planned for EPCOT, as there have been in all the parks. Hopefully the replacement nighttime show will be spectacular!

https://wdwnews.com/releases/all-ne...earth-as-part-of-the-transformation-of-epcot/

. . . . . . . As for Illuminations, I'm in the minority that don't particularly care for that show. . . . . . . . . .

I'm the same Granny. While I enjoy the show, the first thing that comes to mind when contemplating participation, is the mad rush to the buses I will have to endure. I'm sure no one else sees it that way, but with the Wilderness Lodge bus stop way out in the field of bus stops, it just seems like a fast paced, jogging for position, rush in a crowd of people all looking to get a seat. Plus I'm pooped by then, anyways. :faint:

Hi all,

BRV question. We've owned at BRV for a couple of years, but only stayed there once and absolutely loved it. We bought after 3-4 stays at Wilderness Lodge.

We're planning to go Christmas 2019 for probably 10-12 nights and want to stay in a studio at our home resort. On a thread on the purchasing board (we're currently waiting to close on more BRV points), someone said that BRV studios book up at 12 months for early December, because of people walking their reservations.

Is that true or exaggeration? And will I need to walk to get a Christmas reservation (or 2, because we may need a second studio for 2-3 nights for family)?

Thanks!

Hi all,

BRV question. We've owned at BRV for a couple of years, but only stayed there once and absolutely loved it. We bought after 3-4 stays at Wilderness Lodge.

We're planning to go Christmas 2019 for probably 10-12 nights and want to stay in a studio at our home resort. On a thread on the purchasing board (we're currently waiting to close on more BRV points), someone said that BRV studios book up at 12 months for early December, because of people walking their reservations.

Is that true or exaggeration? And will I need to walk to get a Christmas reservation (or 2, because we may need a second studio for 2-3 nights for family)?

Thanks!

Can't book at 12 months with the home window starting at 11 months. :)

You do want to book at 8am online right at 11 months but that's been ok in the past to do. The first week of December is the busiest and this year had issues with a day or two right at 11 months. But while Christmas is popular and I wouldn't wait to book it, it is also a much higher point requirement and doesn't go quite as fast as the first week. I booked 2 studios for over Christmas for 2017 although ended up cancelling that trip but it was just there to book. A different year of course and times change but I don't think I've seen BRV book up for the actual Christmas holiday prior to 11 months. A lot can depend on your planned date of arrival too.

Can't book at 12 months with the home window starting at 11 months. :)

You do want to book at 8am online right at 11 months but that's been ok in the past to do. The first week of December is the busiest and this year had issues with a day or two right at 11 months. But while Christmas is popular and I wouldn't wait to book it, it is also a much higher point requirement and doesn't go quite as fast as the first week. I booked 2 studios for over Christmas for 2017 although ended up cancelling that trip but it was just there to book. A different year of course and times change but I don't think I've seen BRV book up for the actual Christmas holiday prior to 11 months. A lot can depend on your planned date of arrival too.
As KAT says, no one can book more than 11 months out from their home resort. However, people do walk reservations for a week or so, though I've not heard anyone walking a reservation for an entire month (that would be quite an effort). As DVC gets more crowded (purely anecdotal evidence, but it's getting tougher to book at certain times at 11 months and extremely difficult to book some places at 7 months that used to be easy "gets"), I do foresee the 11-month window closing more rapidly than before. It's always a good idea to make your reservation first thing in the morning right at the 11-month point. Studios do tend to go more quickly since the cost for them is lower, of course. As a side note, and perhaps germane to the discussion--though again mostly anecdotal at the moment--the theory is being advanced that with the additions of the bungalows at Poly and the cabins at the Lodge, the demand has outpaced the supply since few who buy in can actually afford either. So, they're enticed by the bungalows/cabins but wind up buying only enough points to manage stays in studios. So, those people go looking for studios elsewhere at 7 months. Perhaps. Moreover, the addition of so many events at Disney now makes the World a year-round destination. Regardless, the past few years clearly have seen it get more difficult to find reservations at the 7-month mark, and in some cases, the 11-month mark. Good luck!

I have observed the walkers over at AKV for too long now. Call it a hobby :laughing: (I'm a systems analyst, it's in my blood, LOL)
Those value studios and club rooms are always in motion at the 11 month date.

My advice: if at 11 months to the day you find your room to be gone, don't fret. If you do the following you'll get that reservation:

1. Set up a wait list (it has gotten a whole lot better recently);
  2. Double the effort and pull up the site a few times each day and watch how the rooms move about, give it time, your rooms may not open for a week;
  3. About 4 days to a week after your day had opened up for booking you will start to see those folk who are walking their reservations rolling off your days. Grab them as they appear, then delete your wait list and make a new one;
  4. Call member services to consolidate your reservations under one number, which will make the system play nice with you for Fast passes and dining. (Unless you want to book dining plan for just a day or two, this can work out nice.)
Now, BR has gotten a whole lot of attention lately due to CC being added as well as new features. This should die back when more resorts open and the attention shifts to them, but that won't be happening for a bit.

So - dear wife and I (BRV owners), are already booked NOV 2018, and APR 2019. At 11 months.

Gotta say, these days? OWN where you want to STAY. Then use that wonderful 11 month booking window :).
PS - as owners? We HATE "walking tricks". Hoping WDW bans this.
When we can not book our home resort, at 11 months? Having hit break-even, we will sell all points for $1.00 - triggering ROFR.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

I have observed the walkers over at AKV for too long now. Call it a hobby :laughing: (I'm a systems analyst, it's in my blood, LOL)
Those value studios and club rooms are always in motion at the 11 month date.

My advice: if at 11 months to the day you find your room to be gone, don't fret. If you do the following you'll get that reservation:

1. Set up a wait list (it has gotten a whole lot better recently);
  2. Double the effort and pull up the site a few times each day and watch how the rooms move about, give it time, your rooms may not open for a week;
  3. About 4 days to a week after your day had opened up for booking you will start to see those folk who are walking their reservations rolling off your days. Grab them as they appear, then delete your wait list and make a new one;
  4. Call member services to consolidate your reservations under one number, which will make the system play nice with you for Fast passes and dining. (Unless you want to book dining plan for just a day or two, this can work out nice.)
Now, BR has gotten a whole lot of attention lately due to CC being added as well as new features. This should die back when more resorts open and the attention shifts to them, but that won't be happening for a bit.
Thanks so much for this! That's really helpful to know. We're definitely planning to book at 8am at 11 months. I have no interest in walking, and i'm thrilled to stay where we own. Just don't want to get locked out.

Thanks so much for this! That's really helpful to know. We're definitely planning to book at 8am at 11 months. I have no interest in walking, and i'm thrilled to stay where we own. Just don't want to get locked out.
You're most welcome.
The number of owners and rooms is immensely different between AKV and VWL, but the method should apply without issue to BRV. The only location I've seen that breaks the pattern is the Grand Californian Villas, but that is an excessively high demand location. Even then, I'd still have faith that my room will come though. Positive attitudes yield positive results ;)

So - dear wife and I (BRV owners), are already booked NOV 2018, and APR 2019. At 11 months.

Gotta say, these days? OWN where you want to STAY. Then use that wonderful 11 month booking window :).
PS - as owners? We HATE "walking tricks". Hoping WDW bans this.
When we can not book our home resort, at 11 months? Having hit break-even, we will sell all points for $1.00 - triggering ROFR.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

Sell for $1, triggering ROFR? Why?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter