VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

We were at our favorite place last night for dinner at Whispering Canyon Cafe and we'lre able to get some pics of the outside area, but they are too large to post. I'll work on it when I can and post them.

Hollis, you do realize we groupies are living vicariously through you now? And these kind of posts make me realize how much I hope my dream of at the least becoming a winter bird in FL someday comes true.

We have dinner at Artist Point on July 3rd, and I cannot wait to see it all in person! Finally, no more construction!

Hollis, you do realize we groupies are living vicariously through you now? And these kind of posts make me realize how much I hope my dream of at the least becoming a winter bird in FL someday comes true.

Winters in FL sound good to me too. Just no summers. :crazy2:

Just a quick trip report. 6 of us 4 adults 2 kids (4,6)...had best Disney Trip ever. 2 bedroom villa for family of 4, studio for Grandma and Grandpop. Wilderness Lodge was great. Construction is not noticeable at all. New pool opened the day we were leaving so didn't get to try it out... next time. Had my doubts about the trip in the heat and crowds and little ones who have never been before. All of the planning paid off, Fastpasses, getting to parks early and ADRs all contributed to a flawless trip. Crowds were not as high as I had anticipated, minimal rain last week, and bus service was great (mostly).

High points: The Lodge of course. We loved Geyser Pointe...great for after parks bite to eat. Usually had bigger lunch at parks. Kids loved the main pool, Character Dining with Princesses (EPCOT FROZEN), Character Breakfast at 1900 Park Faire was wonderful. Best Ride : 7 Dwarfs (as per kids). Just a great trip overall. With early arrival and Fast Passes we covered a lot of ground.

Low Point: Bus transportation to the Water Parks is abysmal. One in our party had to leave from WL to Typhoon Lagoon water park later than the rest of us and arrived at TL after 2 hours of traveling!!!!!!! Ridiculous. Heard the same complaints from people going to BB. Going to DS then transfer to another bus is a hassle...will think twice about Water Parks with two beautiful pools on site. Definitely need car, or Uber.
===================================================

4 year old lost tooth while at WL...kind of had a mini meltdown because her first tooth fell out and the CMs were so great with her. Big Thank You to WL CMs they are the greatest.

As a DVC members who joined later in life and usually take no park/EPCOT adult trips, this trip with the grandkids was so much fun. I think the changes to WL are beautiful and I think the Lodge is better for the new additions. Looking forward to more family trips.

Last edited:
Finally, no more construction!

This times a million!! Is it just me or does it seem like construction has been going on forever? I am so looking forward to staying at VWL (still not changing it! :laughing:) some time soon. I haven't stayed there in almost 3 years. :sad2:

Happy Sunday groupies! Enjoy the day. It's a beauty here in MA. 80s & low humidity. Perfect summer weather. :sunny:

Hi Groupies,

Has anyone ever dined at The Wave? I would like to add a few new places in September. Thanks!

Hi Groupies,

Has anyone ever dined at The Wave? I would like to add a few new places in September. Thanks!
We have. . .once. We liked it. I had a watermelon salad that was superb, though I couldn't say if it's still on the menu. Have heard great things about breakfast, and I'm pretty sure that JT loves this place, so perhaps he'll chime in soon.

Just a quick trip report. 6 of us 4 adults 2 kids (4,6)...had best Disney Trip ever. 2 bedroom villa for family of 4, studio for Grandma and Grandpop. Wilderness Lodge was great. Construction is not noticeable at all. New pool opened the day we were leaving so didn't get to try it out... next time. Had my doubts about the trip in the heat and crowds and little ones who have never been before. All of the planning paid off, Fastpasses, getting to parks early and ADRs all contributed to a flawless trip. Crowds were not as high as I had anticipated, minimal rain last week, and bus service was great (mostly).

High points: The Lodge of course. We loved Geyser Pointe...great for after parks bite to eat. Usually had bigger lunch at parks. Kids loved the main pool, Character Dining with Princesses (EPCOT FROZEN), Character Breakfast at 1900 Park Faire was wonderful. Best Ride : 7 Dwarfs (as per kids). Just a great trip overall. With early arrival and Fast Passes we covered a lot of ground.

Low Point: Bus transportation to the Water Parks is abysmal. One in our party had to leave from WL to Typhoon Lagoon water park later than the rest of us and arrived at TL after 2 hours of traveling!!!!!!! Ridiculous. Heard the same complaints from people going to BB. Going to DS then transfer to another bus is a hassle...will think twice about Water Parks with two beautiful pools on site. Definitely need car, or Uber.
===================================================

4 year old lost tooth while at WL...kind of had a mini meltdown because her first tooth fell out and the CMs were so great with her. Big Thank You to WL CMs they are the greatest.

As a DVC members who joined later in life and usually take no park/EPCOT adult trips, this trip with the grandkids was so much fun. I think the changes to WL are beautiful and I think the Lodge is better for the new additions. Looking forward to more family trips.
Thanks for the mini-report! Glad to hear the Lodge still delights. We've certainly found over the years that if you go in with a solid plan, that even when the parks are crowded (save perhaps those blackout dates), we don't have a lot of problems. We only take buses to the occasional park, so that's not an issue for us, either. I do think in the long term the Lodge will be considered even more of a jewel in the deluxe resort crown than before, but I still hate so much of the wilderness was removed. That will be hard, if not impossible, to replicate going forward.

Thanks Sleepy! I thought JT was a fan! I'll wait patiently for him to chime in!:rolleyes1hehe

pharmlivin
Glad you folks had a great time! Like Sleepy, we tend to avoid the buses too. Love the boats too MK, but the other parks, we almost always drive

Corinne
Here I am! We love The Wave, esp. breakfast and lunch. Dinner, not a big fan. I believe they must change Chefs at dinner. But breakfast, I am a big fan of the buffet and I am not a big fan of buffets in general. Lunch is equally tasty.

Many thanks ErinC, Roxyfire and ArielSRL for your belated anniversary wishes! 42 years is a long time, but it happens in the blink of an eye.

It's raining in Ohio today - with more rain expected. Promises to be a soggy week-end. Sewing will be on my agenda - perhaps for twokats and Mrs Granny as well.

Enjoy your week-end!

We had rain Friday night and it rained quite a bit and was gloomy almost all day Saturday, but since Thursday, I have been at my girl's weekend with about 20 of the girls that I graduated with. We have been doing this for a weekend every summer since we turned 50!!! But since I am working on that towel project for the cruise in September, I have got to get back to work, probably tonight since I have finally made it back home.
Monday, my church starts Vacation Bible School. I am in charge of the crafts. Hopefully I will get some sewing done during the day. Hope all the groupies had a great weekend.

Corinne
Here I am! We love The Wave, esp. breakfast and lunch. Dinner, not a big fan. I believe they must change Chefs at dinner. But breakfast, I am a big fan of the buffet and I am not a big fan of buffets in general. Lunch is equally tasty.

Hi Jimmy!
Well darn! I was going to book dinner.

My daughter, son-in-law and I enjoyed our dinners at the Wave in January, but my hubby had requested no sauce on his steak and they didn't prepare it that way. Instead of remaking his steak without the sauce, they scraped the sauce off and sent his plate back out. Needless to say, he was very unhappy. They comped his meal, since it was apparent that he didn't eat it. Needless to say, we'll never be able to get him to go back there.

Corinne - this probably won't help you... We have previously dined at The Wave - about 6 yrs ago and enjoyed it very much. We enjoyed it so much that it was on our list of 'must dos'. And then we just stopped going. I will often look over the menu as I'm making reservations for an upcoming trip, but honestly, the current menu does nothing for me. We never did breakfast or lunch, only dinner.

We enjoy Kona Cafe at the Poly and Grand Floridian Cafe at the GF. It may be worth trying one of these if you haven't already.

At the turn of the century, DiznyDi & I would hit a signature restaurant almost every night while in The World. Now, when looking at a menu of a signature or new restaurant, if we admit to our selves "I guess I can find something if we go", that is the phrase that kills the desire to go. We still have a few favorite signature destinations, but we really have gravitated toward the counter service meal offerings.

Hi Groupies,

We have always enjoyed dinner at the Wave, that is until our last time in March when service was dismal. So, we 4 are giving it a rest.

Corrine - another meh to The Wave. Now granted it's been years but I wasn't impressed. I do from time to time eat at their bar. You can order the full menu but they have a bar menu too. I like their pretzel bread sticks. My friend had a pork belly appetizer which was delicious. They used to have a very good flatbread too. Not sure if it's still on the menu or not. If you decide against eating there how about one of the new restaurants at DS? Tons of new ones now.

Hi Jimmy!
Well darn! I was going to book dinner.
Actually, Luv and I have dinner plans there next week. We'll let you know what we find. That being said, we vary from a lot of people in the way we order. Often, we will get two apps but only one entree, and only infrequently do we order dessert. I'm fairly certain that's what we'll do this time, as well. Still, we should be able to relate how the service is and how well they handle the items we do get. Last time--which was a good three years ago or so--we had a good dinner there. Not exceptional but very solid. In fact, I had a watermelon salad there that was among the best I've had. Sadly, it's no longer listed on the menu.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter