W&D 2023 Registration Check-out issues....some questions

Herding_Cats

DIS Veteran
If you got through all of the registration windows and then "had a problem with your payment" would you mind answering a few questions?

1. Are you a US resident? (as in, registering with a US address)
2. Were you registering more than one runner? How many?
if no, were you registering yourself for multiple items from the menu? (ex. 5k and challenge)
3. Were you using a credit card or a debit card?
4. Did changing cards "fix" the problem?
5. Rounding to the nearest 100, what was the total charge of your cart?
6. Did you have to separate the runners/registrations to "fix" the problem (register, pay, get into another queue and repeat)

I'm not putting this in the W&D thread because if this is going to be an issue going forward (I remember this happening to a few during DL registration) it could also affect MW and PW coming up.

I am so glad you posted these questions @Herding_Cats -- sorry, I don't have answers (did not sign up for Wine and Dine) but it's got me a little worried about Princess weekend so I would love to know what other people experienced. I normally register just myself and DH and we typically only do the half but it sounds like we need some back up plans if possible.

I asked some people in a FB group had commented that they got the payment error screen and in every single case, it was people trying to register multiple people.

So yeah.....with DH preferring to do everything except the full for MW, this has me nervous if it IS a multiple-registrants for multiple events glitchy situation.

Glad to see this thread too!

1. US resident
2. Myself and DH; challenge and 5k for both
3. Disney gift card on first try. Ended up having to use a credit card
4. Unknown if changing cards "fixed" the problem. I did switch to a credit card because the full amount was deducted from the gift card so it couldn't be used after the first attempt.
5. $1000
6. Unknown if separating the registrations helped. I broke the registrations into 2 challenges then 2 5ks

In summary: multiple runners and multiple events on single payment = error. multiple runners on a single event + new payment method was successful.

Timeline:
I had a number of windows going so when the queue actually started I had one at 4min. So, I was into the registration fairly quickly. Because of that I thought I would have time to do all 4 of the event registrations in one shot. I was very careful to make sure that I answered every drop down (including shirt size). Entered my gift card number and received the red error message. The site then kicked me back to selecting which events to register for. So, I decided to do the challenge for myself and DH as a single transaction. Entered the info carefully. Tried to enter the gift card again, but was told there wasn't enough money left on that gift card. Used my CC and was able to register both of us for the challenge (received an email). The site then went back to the point of selecting which event to register. Entered info for both of us to do the 5k. Used CC to pay. Received confirmation email on that.

A couple of hours later I filled out a form on the Disney gift card services site. Received a response back quickly. They said that the card showed a transaction with runDisney that day.

"We understand there was an error in your registration, we recommend allowing up to 24 hours for the system to reverse the charge back to your Disney Gift Card.
If the value is not returned by the system, please contact runDisney they have a process in place to assist in restoring your funds.
runDisney can be contacted at 407-939-4786.

Sincerely,
Disney Gift Card Guest Services"

After 24 hours, the $ was not back on my gift card so I called runDisney. There was no one available to take the call so I left a voicemail. This will be a process, and I will update what the "process" they have in place turns out to be.

We had issues with DL for the 5K.

1. Are you a US resident? (as in, registering with a US address) yes
2. Were you registering more than one runner? How many? Yes 4 for the 5K
if no, were you registering yourself for multiple items from the menu? (ex. 5k and challenge) no
3. Were you using a credit card or a debit card? Credit card
4. Did changing cards "fix" the problem? can’t remember if we tried
5. Rounding to the nearest 100, what was the total charge of your cart? $400?
6. Did you have to separate the runners/registrations to "fix" the problem (register, pay, get into another queue and repeat) No. My DH tried three times while I registered myself for Challenge and him and DS for the 10K and he even got through the queue 5 min before me. I then tried too but also errors out but that was also right when the 5K sold out so not sure if mine was the same glitch or sold out, but said error. Our cards both had pending charges that dropped off.

So from my fb poll (68 people responded)
25 people got the error screen while trying to register multiple adults
12 people got the error screen while trying to register kids and adults
8 people got the error screen trying to register only 1 person for one registration
2 people got the error screen trying to register 1 person for multiple events

5 people successfully registered after getting the error screen by breaking their group up into smaller groups
12 people registered 2 people with no problems
4 people registered 3 or more people with no problems.

SO.

Correlation is not causation.

BUT.

37/68 (you could select multiple choices in this poll) had issues while trying to register multiple people. That's over 50%. Now, obviously 50% of ALL of the people who registered more than one person didn't have this problem.

Is it because of the number of registrations in one account? (that would all need transferred to their respective person)

Is it because it was an unexpected large charge and their CC freaked out? (I usually get a text/fraud alert when I make a large purchase of gift cards before a trip, but no one mentioned their CC provider doing that, and I've always been able to confirm that I am making the purchase and then they re-try the charge.)

Is it just crappy IT and a bogged down system?

Were people messing up their CC# or their address and not realizing it?

Ugh. This makes me so nervous for April. And I don't want to keep hammering DH about registration, but it would be sooooo much easier to just do 2 Dopeys instead of 1 Dopey, a half, a 10k, and a 5k.

25 people got the error screen while trying to register multiple adults
12 people got the error screen while trying to register kids and adults
8 people got the error screen trying to register only 1 person for one registration
2 people got the error screen trying to register 1 person for multiple events

One thing you may want to consider is that the ratio of these outcomes may be based on the ratio of the positive outcomes from the same types. So 37/68 (54%) of respondents had an issue with this error screen when trying to register multiple people. What is the proportion of just normal registrants who had no issue also registering multiple people? As in, are roughly 54% of the population of registrants trying for multiple people? If yes, then it would suggest that the error rate is not slanted towards those who register multiple people but just an effect of that type of registrant making up the total population of registrants. Not sure if I explained this well.

It may be true that the error is slanted that way, but I think you'd want more data from those who didn't have issues which would help you determine the source with more confidence.

One thing you may want to consider is that the ratio of these outcomes may be based on the ratio of the positive outcomes from the same types. So 37/68 (54%) of respondents had an issue with this error screen when trying to register multiple people. What is the proportion of just normal registrants who had no issue also registering multiple people? As in, are roughly 54% of the population of registrants trying for multiple people? If yes, then it would suggest that the error rate is not slanted towards those who register multiple people but just an effect of that type of registrant making up the total population of registrants. Not sure if I explained this well.

It may be true that the error is slanted that way, but I think you'd want more data from those who didn't have issues which would help you determine the source with more confidence.
Right. People who had things go wrong are going to more motivated to talk about it. Just seems like IF you had a problem with registration, it was more common for it to be people trying for multiple people/events.

Im basically creating my own personal contingency plan for MW registration day to NOT keep trying if I have a problem trying to register for all of the stuff in the same queue, and to make sure I have a back-up available. But that means I'll have to prioritize, and I'm not sure if the 5k or the 10k should get priority. Off to look at the sell-out thread!

Last edited:
Got my gift card refund last evening! Calling appears to do nothing. Nice emails stating "I have proof, what format would you like it in?" seemed to get the most efficient response.

In my confirmation email, I ask what steps I could take during registration to ensure this doesn't happen in future registrations. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter