W.I.S.H - A July to Remember

Topic Thursday: Eating the rainbow

Yesterday I thought of this question later on so I wasn't keeping track of my colors during the day, but in hindsight did better than I thought. I got red in a few strawberries, some watermelon and slices of tomato, green in a little side salad which also had a tiny bit of orange in carrots, yellow in some Rainier cherries, purple in a little cluster of grapes. I need to get back to having my daily smoothies, and will think about getting a variety of colors in to each one.

This morning, after a week and a half of minimal refined sugar and dairy, I noticed that my body feels looser and softer which is such a sweet improvement. I'm getting a massage tomorrow - it should feel really good instead of feeling like I'm being beat up... just thinking about it feels relaxing. I've decided I need to start tracking my food again, to see exactly where I am calorie wise with the eating shifts I've made, and make sure I really am getting the 500 calorie deficit, the way I think I am.

Friday Free-for-all... and goals check-in.

joy.jpg

Goals check-in:

Drinking 2+ liters of water per day.... yep, I've got this one in the bag and am feeling better for it.

Getting outdoors tune-out/tune-in time.... missed a couple evenings this week but still doing well.
Lose 5 pounds.... down another 2 for -4 for the month and -9 overall, also contributing to feeling better.

I'm so glad I start tracking my food yesterday, because I would have made a poor dinner choice and gone over if I hadn't known exactly where I was calorie wise. And I definitely need to get my step count back up, to give myself enough calories to work with.

Lots of little plans in store for the weekend, starting with my massage this evening - woohoo!

Hope all have a happy and healthful weekend!

I don't think I set any goals this month. I am down about 1-2 pounds since the holiday week. This weekend will be fun but really hot. The kids will be going to my inlaws on Saturday and staying for a week. Dh and I will be able to get a lot of walking in. I am sure by playing a ton of pokemon. Saturday and Sunday will be rough though as our temps are supposed to be in the 90s with high humidity.

My goal is to lose 3 lbs a week and stick to my marathon training plan. I am on week 4 of a 20 week plan to prep for the Food and Wine 10k/Half marathon challenge. So far so good! Happy weekend everyone. 26 days until we go home

Hi all,

I have been spending time with the kids on our winter break - first week or so DS17 and I binge watched "That 70s Show" together on Netflix and had lots of laughs together, I had lunch with a friend and then this week has been all about DD14 and her oral surgery which was on Thursday - we are in recovery mode - but she can't eat much yet - poor thing and only soft things so jelly and ice-cream are the hits so far - her incision and stitches are in the roof of her mouth so that just makes moving anything around in her mouth that much harder! In the lead up to her surgery day the stress was coming out in me ... I think it was Monday that I had a silver aura in my left eye for around 20 minutes followed with a mild headache - which apparently is a form of migraine. Then the next day I walked up the stairs to read something to the kids and become completely breathless (now I walk up and down these stairs many times a day with no issue) and then the anxiety kicked in. So off the drs I went to get checked out but got an ok - but have to go for a blood test next week when things settle down to relook at my iron, b12 levels etc....

Eating for me has been bad this week and very disappointingly it has been a very lethargic break with lots of screen time.

However, I am going to do a meal plan today as the boys will go back to school tomorrow, DD still needs some time off, and I will be getting to work some of the days - so I need to restock and want to do that on plan.

How colorful is your diet?
What colors did you eat yesterday?
How does/would eating the rainbow fit in to your healthful goals?

There is green, orange, white and red pretty regularly - yellow and purple to a lesser degree - but all in all it needs to be increased in all areas. I love your image @Oneanne and how it relates the colors to the benefits of the body.

Just a fly by check in to say hello. I am still not home, but have left my niece. I think all will be well there. I had less than 24 hours at home between leaving there and going on vacation with DH! Unfortunately I left my toiletry bag at her place so we are taking the extremely long way home to swing by and get it!

One thing I noticed but didn't have time to think about was that my step count was kinda weird. My pedometer battery had died and when I returned DS back home I had DH put a new one in. On vacation I noticed the AM/PM were off!!! That explains so much.

Eating hasn't been fantastic but not horrible. Lots of driving but I made DH go for a walk tonight. It was lovely. Maybe tomorrow I will try to eat the rainbow!

Motivation Monday:

upload_2018-7-16_7-10-55.png

Hey, perfect timing, since today is in fact Monday!
And this one caught my attention as well:

upload_2018-7-16_7-12-44.png

Which of these points do you do to take care of yourself... are there any you'd like to start doing?

Hi all,

I have been spending time with the kids on our winter break - first week or so DS17 and I binge watched "That 70s Show" together on Netflix and had lots of laughs together, I had lunch with a friend and then this week has been all about DD14 and her oral surgery which was on Thursday - we are in recovery mode - but she can't eat much yet - poor thing and only soft things so jelly and ice-cream are the hits so far - her incision and stitches are in the roof of her mouth so that just makes moving anything around in her mouth that much harder! In the lead up to her surgery day the stress was coming out in me ... I think it was Monday that I had a silver aura in my left eye for around 20 minutes followed with a mild headache - which apparently is a form of migraine. Then the next day I walked up the stairs to read something to the kids and become completely breathless (now I walk up and down these stairs many times a day with no issue) and then the anxiety kicked in. So off the drs I went to get checked out but got an ok - but have to go for a blood test next week when things settle down to relook at my iron, b12 levels etc....

Eating for me has been bad this week and very disappointingly it has been a very lethargic break with lots of screen time.

However, I am going to do a meal plan today as the boys will go back to school tomorrow, DD still needs some time off, and I will be getting to work some of the days - so I need to restock and want to do that on plan.

There is green, orange, white and red pretty regularly - yellow and purple to a lesser degree - but all in all it needs to be increased in all areas. I love your image @Oneanne and how it relates the colors to the benefits of the body.
Hope things are calming down now with the boys headed back at school and that you are felling better soon <3.

SELF CARE...

I'd say the most important thing I'm doing for myself right now is addressing physical condition. I'm already feeling so much better with the changes I've made recently.

I'm also really in to curiosity and exploration, particularly with the classes and trips I've been taking... keeping the brain active and engaged is really important.

The other point I've been thinking about lately is community. Someone I follow on IG recently posted her thoughts on the positive side of social media and how she'd met so many people thru IG and I thought for me its the same: I have people from all over the world that I connected with on-line and have since met in person, but in my day-to-day life I don't have close friends locally to hang out with or rely on... something I need to work on.

Late last week I realized that I'm not going to be able to take a week off in September, due to how my project is panning out, so I started thinking of alternatives... like going to WDW for Christmas! But a quick search showed that airfare would be $700+ and a room at POP is $200 - YIKES! So then I started playing around with adding on to my November trip to Texas and it would only increase airfare by about $200 and POP is only $127 a night, so I'm holding a room to lock in that price while I decide for sure... but the more I think about it the more I like the idea, so I'm pretty sure its going to happen.

WOW... we're already half way thru July. How the heck did that happen? Happy Monday everyone!

Tuesday Topic: STRESS

Cute, but oh so true! How many of us eat our stress?
What is your go-to comfort food when you are stressed?
Is there something besides eating that you can do to burn off stress?

That would be a resounding "Yes, I do eat my stress". Often times I just need to chew: I don't particularly like gum but a bag of Gummy Bears will do just fine... I get the chewing action plus sugar helps to numb out whatever is going on.

Lately I've been pretty successful at redirecting my thoughts and calming myself down, without shoving stuff in to my mouth... this is a big win!

Monday that I had a silver aura in my left eye for around 20 minutes followed with a mild headache - which apparently is a form of migraine

Yes this is a migraine. I get them though I lose spots in my vision. It was very scary the first couple of times it happened.

+++++++

It has been a pretty good weekend and start to the week. It has been super hot here so I haven't gotten out much. Today I woke up with either a cold or allergies. I am so congested. It came out of nowhere. I was fine yesterday other then a scratchy throat for what I assumed was allergies. The good news is I feel fine for the most part.

Yes this is a migraine. I get them though I lose spots in my vision. It was very scary the first couple of times it happened.

+++++++

It has been a pretty good weekend and start to the week. It has been super hot here so I haven't gotten out much. Today I woke up with either a cold or allergies. I am so congested. It came out of nowhere. I was fine yesterday other then a scratchy throat for what I assumed was allergies. The good news is I feel fine for the most part.
Yippee, there's someone out there! Not so yippee to hear you aren't feeling the best, hope it clears up soon.

Woohoo it's Wednesday!

First off, let me say I am incredibly happy that Mama Mia 2 comes out this weekend, and that it's getting great reviews for the whacky over the top silliness that it is.

We did eggs in my NAET session last night, which means nothing with any egg or chicken in it today. There's another session that'll I'll need to do before I can really start eating them again, which I'm really looking forward to.

I'm taking Friday off for delivery of the new sofa, and hopefully pick up of the old, which means I can also go to "Camp Tolt" in the evening, which is an outdoor knit-around-the-campfire thing my favorite yarn shop puts together... normally if I'm working I can't make it because the drive is in the height of rush hour.

I hit 116 pounds lost or 40% of my body weight over the weekend. I suspect a lot of it had to do with working outside during the 105-degree heat, so some of it may come back. Regardless, I'm still trending in the right direction. I lose a bit, then gain a bit, but then I lose a bit more. Month to month I'm still going down and hopefully, my tummy will be flat one day.

I also made/received a photo book from my Disney World trip from this past January. It was kind of interesting to look at because I've lost 30 pounds since then.

Which of these points do you do to take care of yourself... are there any you'd like to start doing?

Ones I feel I am doing are -
  • awareness - I am aware of the importance of it
  • curiosity & exploration - I am definitely interested in recipes, strategies, the benefits, new approaches
Things I need to start doing are
  • Working on my physical condition - this is just such a hard one for me - I just have such a road block mentality about it.
  • Choices - definitely need to be making different choices in relation to food and exercise
  • Community - similar to you @Oneanne I can feel a little isolated at times - even though I do have a couple of good friends here on the coast - we don't catch up as much as we would like but between everyone working, children and their activities - it is hard to find that time - but when we do we enjoy it so much and say we need to do it more often but then a couple of months go by again easily

Cute, but oh so true! How many of us eat our stress?
What is your go-to comfort food when you are stressed?
Is there something besides eating that you can do to burn off stress?

OMG that is fantastic - I don't think I've ever seen that :rotfl:
Yes I definitely eat my stress!
I am sure there is - but I haven't found one that replaces it satisfactorily yet :oops:

It was very scary the first couple of times it happened.

Yes it is isn't it? One minute I was reading a book on the couch then at first it was like the bottom of the book was waving and bits of the writing was disapearing - then the silver zig-zag arrived. Thanks to DS14 googling it for me - I was able to mostly get the anxiety about it under control.

Yippee, there's someone out there!

You poor thing I have noticed how quiet it has been - You have been doing an AMAZING job hosting with great questions for us - when we do find the time to check-in.

First off, let me say I am incredibly happy that Mama Mia 2 comes out this weekend, and that it's getting great reviews for the whacky over the top silliness that it is.

Oh me to!! My mum really wants to see it also - I am hoping DD will be feeling up to a movie on Saturday and we can all go together for some fun.

I wish I felt better as I now know it is a cold

Feel better - DS14 made it to school for first day after break and came home that night with sore throat, headache body and belly aches! We are now on his 3rd day off school - hopefully he will get back tomorrow - I told him STAY AWAY FROM YOUR SISTER!! the last thing she needed was to catch it on top of recovering from her surgery. Speaking of which that is my WOOHOO - I really feel like we have turned a corner last night/today - she was been able to eat macaroni and cheese and wanted Macca's hotcakes for lunch today and got through one and half - and she said she feels like she could have a go at more things but it may just take her extra time - phew! So now just need to plan some meals accordingly that can start to get more nutrients in her than jelly, ice-cream and custard! She hasn't asked for pain relief in over 24 hours now.

THURSDAY TOPIC: Doing the next more difficult thing.

Earlier this week Jen Hewett, the gal I took my block printing class from, did a blog post talking about how she answers when people ask her how she learned to do all the things she does, which includes designing the Cotton and Steel fabric collection posted above that is coming out soon, and publishing her first book (this has been a huge year for her). Her response is "to get better at anything, you have to do the next, more difficult thing" and that "the secret ingredients (to success) aren't a special, unattainable knowledge or the perfect instructor. Rather they are practice, risk-taking, and a healthy dose of self-forgiveness."

When it comes to weight control and healthy living, what would be the next more difficult thing to take on? Do you think of developing a new habit as 'practice'? Do you apply 'self-forgiveness' when you don't quite get it right?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!