waiting to book

KimStaR

this water smells like splash mountain
hiiiii,

I am interested in the podcast cruise but I have a few concerns. One, I have never cruised before, out of fear of being on a boat in the middle of nowhere!... anyone else not cruise before or had this same fear? My second question/concern is I am usually a pretty last minute vacation planner. I don't usually plan more than 2-3 months out... the idea of booking a trip over a year away is kind of scary/foreign to me. I have no clue what my life/ work/ school will be like at that point. If I wait a few more months will there be any more good rooms left on this cruise? I am sorry to be such a nervous nelly! Thanks in advance for any tips!

hiiiii,

I am interested in the podcast cruise but I have a few concerns. One, I have never cruised before, out of fear of being on a boat in the middle of nowhere!... anyone else not cruise before or had this same fear? My second question/concern is I am usually a pretty last minute vacation planner. I don't usually plan more than 2-3 months out... the idea of booking a trip over a year away is kind of scary/foreign to me. I have no clue what my life/ work/ school will be like at that point. If I wait a few more months will there be any more good rooms left on this cruise? I am sorry to be such a nervous nelly! Thanks in advance for any tips!

I've never cruised either and the reason would be that to me it's scary. I get sea sick on a raft. But, I also think it sounds like a lot of fun. While I normally don't plan quite tihs far out, I will do it if it's necessary. This wasn't exactly the best timing for us, but I would hate to miss out. I'm glad I decided to go ahead and book. That way I know I'll be going.

Another thing to consider is that Disney probably has the best cancellation policy in the cruise industry. If you're worried about losing a spot I would book now and you'll have plenty of time to work out the details before the cancellation date arrives. We just got back from the 7-night Magic cruise a couple weeks ago. I had a couple days where the motion bothered me but I would never let that stop me. The staff (cast) treat you unbelievably well. It's actually kind of sad when you have to say goodbye at the end. I can see why some folks cruise the same line over and over again. We unfortunately will probably not make this cruise, I think we've decided to do an Alaskan cruise with the in-laws in '09......but stranger things have happened.;)

DH & I (well, okay, mostly just me lol) are struggling with the decision, too. I'm absolutely terrified of the ocean and swore up, down and sideways that I would never take a cruise anywhere, although I know DH would like to. I start having panic attacks just LOOKING at the ships nearby in Bayonne lol. BUT, I'm really, really, REALLY torn about this. I keep flip-flopping on it...one night I bravely proclaim to DH that we're going, the next night I wimp out again. I really, REALLY want to go, but I don't want to fall apart before I can get my butt on the ship. Then, even if I manage to get on the ship, what if I freak out once onboard? lol I don't know what to do!!! Everyone I know who has cruised before tells me how wonderful it is and that I'd love it, but I guess I'm not fully convinced yet. :scared1:

DH & I (well, okay, mostly just me lol) are struggling with the decision, too. I'm absolutely terrified of the ocean and swore up, down and sideways that I would never take a cruise anywhere, although I know DH would like to. I start having panic attacks just LOOKING at the ships nearby in Bayonne lol. BUT, I'm really, really, REALLY torn about this. I keep flip-flopping on it...one night I bravely proclaim to DH that we're going, the next night I wimp out again. I really, REALLY want to go, but I don't want to fall apart before I can get my butt on the ship. Then, even if I manage to get on the ship, what if I freak out once onboard? lol I don't know what to do!!! Everyone I know who has cruised before tells me how wonderful it is and that I'd love it, but I guess I'm not fully convinced yet. :scared1:

i feel the exact same way. i get sick in the car, on a boat, on ride... and i panic about that stuff too! are we related? :upsidedow

This will be my first cruise as well. I always thought a cruise ship was a restrictive way to vacation, but after several discussions with my parents, who love to cruise, I've decided to try it.

As slapwhitey said you can always cancel if something comes up.

The hope is that we will be having so much fun you will forget you are on a cruise ship in the middle of nowhere.

We sure hope you decide to join us Pod Cruisarders. :)

i feel the exact same way. i get sick in the car, on a boat, on ride... and i panic about that stuff too! are we related? :upsidedow

lol! You never know! ;)

I actually don't get sick, though...with me it's just the panic thing. Like you said before, the idea of being 'trapped' at sea with nowhere to go...freaks me out! UGH...I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!

Do either of you live close to a port? Many cruises have what they call "cruises to nowhere" that basically just go out overnight and come back the next morning. Maybe you could have a trial run on one of those.

I suffer from sea-sickness in small watercraft, but have never experienced anything even close to it while on a cruise ship. The modern stabilizers they have help tremendously. Also, there are new medications available for a queasy stomach that don't make you sleepy the whole time.

If you are on the fence at all, put a deposit on the cruise...you can cancel up to 90 days before sail date with no penalty, but I really feel that once you experience the comradery that has already started among this group you will find the courage to come sail with us! :goodvibes

You know,. the other thing you need to consider it that the ship isn't sailing the entire time...throughout a good portion of it you will be docked and can get out and kiss the ground if you want to (however, you might want to reconsider this option in Nassau :scared1: ).

eh, I have been to Nassau, you do not want to kiss this ground... I too have never cruised. Mostly because I'd rather just goto where I am going, at least that is how I see it in my head. This is pretty much the only situation that would get me on a cruise... a large group of fun people hanging out. and Pete giving away stuff.

as for motion sickness, hang with me, you'll be to drunk to notice the motion sickness.

To those folks that are unsure about this cruise...I have a few thoughts.

Disney Cruise Line...along with most other cruise lines works on the "tier pricing" plan.

As the available space on the ship fills, the price increases. This is why we always tell folks that the earlier you book...the better your price.

On a popular sailing (and this seems to be a popular sailing) you might see hundreds of dollars difference in price for staterooms next to one another.

Also...as someone else posted...DCL has an extraordinarily lenient cancellation policy. You can cancel without penalty as long as you do it 90 days prior to departure for suites and 75 days prior to departure for categories 4 -12. No penalties!!!!!

Something else to keep in mind....Dreams Unlimited Travel is offering group space, which is the lowest pricing available AND a ship board credit. Please note I did not say OR a ship board credit. I said AND!!!! This is not something we do on any other sailing. Ever!

And in case that hasnt got you.....you will be included in everything else we plan for the cruise and in case you havent been paying attention....we dont do things in a cheesy way. If you didnt get a chance to attend our Podcast meet in December.....again...ask around. It was an awesome time.

We have folks that have already won their trip. We have given away an iPhone and an iTouch and a 7 day park hopper.....and it's only January.

Think about it....do you want to take a chance on spending even more money down the road....or worse yet....missing it altogether? I should think not.

And yes....it's 15 months away but we only have one restraining order so far....(the cistern talk might have Will a bit jumpy). :lmao:

All joking aside...(yeah right....look who's talking)....the price on this is only going to go up. Act now and decide later. You might save some hard earned cash in the long run.

Kevin

I already booked... I compared the cost now, to the usual cost... and even though I am frugal (cheap) it is one of those deals that is hard to pass up. now we just need to put 36 people in a dreamsvillas.com for the land portion.

I already booked... I compared the cost now, to the usual cost... and even though I am frugal (cheap) it is one of those deals that is hard to pass up. now we just need to put 36 people in a dreamsvillas.com for the land portion.
Do the dreams villas have basements? I'm just asking....

so lemme get this right, as someone has hidden my program guide... Will is the one that was on the show once, and is the recent hire at Podcast Ranch?

Yep, they made him say hi. He's the techie guy, into graphics.

hiiiii,

we are also typically last minute vacation planners...
the only time we have ever planned in advance was for our two DCL cruises...
the first one about a half year in advance, the second one almost 2 years in advance (to get a particular stateroom that i wanted and could only get if booked that much in advance)..

as for fears - i was also worried about that....and about feeling closed up on a ship....and about motion sickness....

our first cruise was on the 3 day cruise, i figured we could tough it out for 3 days if we didn't like it, or felt ill...
as it turned out, we didn't feel any of the things we worried about..

the ship is BIG so you never have that feeling of being closed up...

and on the 3 and 4 day cruises, the ship is never really very far from land....it's not like you're crossing the atlantic......

as it turned out, we loved the 3 day cruise so much, we took the 4 day cruise 2 years later.....and LOVED it too...

and I can't wait for the podcruise......it's going to be especially amazing, since it will have the regular fun of the cruise, plus the fun of knowing so many people on board..

one last thing, the cruises were by far, the best vacations we have ever had....
and we've gone on lots and lots of great vacations....there is something just wonderfully relaxing about being on a ship....
i finally understand what the attraction is of having a big yacht...i never got it before i went on the Wonder....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter