Waitlist question regarding points

dvc lover 1970

DIS Veteran
In the past, when you put in a waitlist, you had to have the "extra" points to secure a waitlist -- meaning even if you were replacing a reservation, you had to have points to secure the waitlist in addition to the one you wanted to replace. For example, If I booked a studio for January 4 at the beachclub, but needed the studio for january 9, at ssr in a preferred view, but really wanted january 9 at ssr in a standard view, i would need 27 points in my account - 15 for the booked preferred view studio and another 12 for the standard view that I wished to replace the preferred view. The cast member I recently spoke with told me, that is not so and if I have the new reservation replace the old reservation it uses the old points, thus only needing the 15 points in my account. Does anyone know if this is correct? I just want to confirm

If the waitlist is more points than the reservation you have you have to have those.

Otherwise, they cancel the reservation and book the waitlist …

If the waitlist is less point those get returned.

Agree with @Robbie Cottam, but you have to set up the waitlist to replace the existing reservation for that to happen.

If you set up the waitlist to replace an existing reservation, the system will first use the points from the existing reservation to make the new one. If the new one costs more than the one it is replacing, then you need to have the additional points available to complete the new reservation. If the new one costs less, the extra points go back into your account.

In the past, when you put in a waitlist, you had to have the "extra" points to secure a waitlist -- meaning even if you were replacing a reservation, you had to have points to secure the waitlist in addition to the one you wanted to replace. For example, If I booked a studio for January 4 at the beachclub, but needed the studio for january 9, at ssr in a preferred view, but really wanted january 9 at ssr in a standard view, i would need 27 points in my account - 15 for the booked preferred view studio and another 12 for the standard view that I wished to replace the preferred view. The cast member I recently spoke with told me, that is not so and if I have the new reservation replace the old reservation it uses the old points, thus only needing the 15 points in my account. Does anyone know if this is correct? I just want to confirm
The bolded part has never been correct that I'm aware of. I've owned since 2000. The castmember is correct, and @CarolMN brings up correct info that you have to set up the waitlist to replace the existing reservation.

You just have to have enough points to book the room you actually want. If your BCV room cost more points (15) than the SSR room (12), you would have your extra (3) points returned. If you are doing this now, for January 2024, your (3) points would go into holding status, from the BCV 15 point reservation.

You mention in your post above needing a preferred view at SSR and wanting a standard view at SSR. First is 13 points, 2nd is 12 points. You could increase your chances of getting a room at SSR by waitlisting both views at SSR, using the first that comes in, if one does, although it's pretty late to be hoping for, although sometimes it happens. Good luck!

Agree with @Robbie Cottam, but you have to set up the waitlist to replace the existing reservation for that to happen.

If you set up the waitlist to replace an existing reservation, the system will first use the points from the existing reservation to make the new one. If the new one costs more than the one it is replacing, then you need to have the additional points available to complete the new reservation. If the new one costs less, the extra points go back into your account.
Correct, unless it’s less than 30 days, then I’m not sure what happens

I have never waitlisted a room not trying to replace a home resort

It's already Jan 2 so waitlist (31 days or 7 days before) is probably a no go anyway, assuming it's January 9, 2024. Or, also assuming that was the actual date OP was trying to obtain.

Yesterday I kept forgetting it was already 2024.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter