Walk from the Buses to Studios Entrance Too Much?

With my dad along last year, who turns 80 next month, we took lots of breaks. That looks like a long walk with little to no cover and no place to sit for a minute or two.

Not everyone can go go go go.
There are no places to sit and there really is no shade depending on where the sun is you can walk close to the fince and get some shade

Great pictures. Besides - I don't know how much extra - space, I wonder what their reasoning was from removing all those seating areas. When we wait for someone or need to rest a minute, we find ourselves sitting on a rock somewhere or leaning on something.

In the Magic Kingdom they removed benches but added different types of seating. Many of the new planters double as seating.

We got back Tuesday. They had wheelchairs by the bus stops (to get you to the entrance) if someone has trouble walking (but one has to walk the park anyway).
Even though there are wheelchair corrals by the bus area, there may not be any wheelchairs in them when you go by.

We got back from WDW on November 10 and often saw the wheelchair corrals empty. Even if there are wheelchairs available, your bus may be closer or farther to the corral.

I used my Apple Watch to chart an exercise session walking from the bus into the park when we arrived at the park one morning and another when we left.
We were lucky on arrival - the bus pulled into one of the closer bus stops. Our walk into the park was fairly close - it was 0.30 miles from the bus to just past Security.
We were not so lucky for our trip back to our resort. It was about 3rd from the last bus stop and measured 0.43 miles from Security to the bus stop.

Even though there are wheelchair corrals by the bus area, there may not be any wheelchairs in them when you go by.

We got back from WDW on November 10 and often saw the wheelchair corrals empty. Even if there are wheelchairs available, your bus may be closer or farther to the corral.

I used my Apple Watch to chart an exercise session walking from the bus into the park when we arrived at the park one morning and another when we left.
We were lucky on arrival - the bus pulled into one of the closer bus stops. Our walk into the park was fairly close - it was 0.30 miles from the bus to just past Security.
We were not so lucky for our trip back to our resort. It was about 3rd from the last bus stop and measured 0.43 miles from Security to the bus stop.
Yikes! Any word on when the new bus stops will open? I am hoping they will be open before our trip in January, that is a long hike.

Yikes! Any word on when the new bus stops will open? I am hoping they will be open before our trip in January, that is a long hike.
I have not heard anything about when the new bus stops will be done.

The walk from the handicapped parking lot is similar to the bus walk. It appeared to us that the current handicapped parking lot will probably be the farthest away of 2 handicapped parking lots.

The walk from the handicapped parking lot is similar to the bus walk. It appeared to us that the current handicapped parking lot will probably be the farthest away of 2 handicapped parking lots.
I was there just two weeks back, and the walk would be looooong. I was pleasantly surprised to see one wheelchair in the corral in the am. But, that was it...just one. Be prepared. If you have an ECV, you will be fine. If not, be prepared to wait until someone can find assistance for you.

Hmm....I question if that is legal under ADA, Disney couldn't get away with that in California under their interpretation of ADA guidelines for parking lots, although right now they are making a mess out of the parking structure, but that is temporary and they can get away with that, especially since there is a viable alternative with the Toy Story lot. I can't see them getting away with ADA parking that far away on a permanent basis out here and my understanding is that Florida had even stricter guidelines based on their intereptations.

https://legalbeagle.com/6071540-handicap-parking-laws-florida.html

Parking Lot Compliance
In Florida, disability parking laws affect more than just the drivers who must comply with them. Parking lots constructed in the state fall under the jurisdiction of Florida handicap parking space requirements and other compliance laws in service of the disabled community.

Florida Statute section 553.5041, "Parking spaces for persons who have disabilities," says that state standards for disabled parking spaces "must comply with the requirements in ADAAG's 4.1." This refers to the federal legislation known as the Americans with Disabilities Act Accessibility Guidelines. These guidelines provide a specific number of required handicapped parking spaces, based on the total number of spaces in the lot (roughly at least one handicapped space per 25 total parking spots, or a certain percentage of the total in larger parking lots).

ADAAG laws enforced in Florida also provide detailed requirements for the layout of each space. These parking spots must be no less than 12 feet wide and feature aisles with easily accessible routes to the building entrance, though two disabled parking spaces side-by-side may share a single aisle. See a lot of blue handicapped spaces in Florida? That's not a stylistic choice to match the Atlantic waters – ADAAG requires prominent blue outlines that must be painted and refreshed for visibility when necessary.

In terms of signage, "Parking by Disabled Permit Only" signs – which have to placed 84 inches above the ground – must be approved by the Florida Department of Transportation. The DOT requires these signs to be 12 inches wide and 18 inches high and feature reflective, one-inch letters, with full design specs and standards laid out on the form, FDOT Design Standards 17355, Sheet 3. The Department of Transportation also chimes in on those blue stripes, noting that a 6-inch-wide blue outline must be in place 2 inches inside the standard 6-inch white stripes.

Florida Building Codes
Similar to Florida handicap parking space requirements, the Florida Americans with Disabilities Accessibility Implementation Act – under Title XXXIII, Chapter 553 of the Florida Statutes, involving building construction codes – legally requires new building construction to meet accessibility standards, including some disabled parking standards.

In addition to complying with basic disabled parking laws and the federal Americans with Disabilities Act, this legislation adds a few new wrinkles. For instance, it requires one handicap-accessible parking space in the immediate vicinity of public and governmental buildings and one disabled space for every 150 metered on-street spaces. As well as providing some flexibility in situations in which it's not feasible to comply with parking requirements – allowing facilities to provide alternative parking solutions for disabled persons – it also, quite broadly, states that "the number of parking spaces for persons who have disabilities must be increased on the basis of demonstrated and documented need.
"

The entire purpose of disabled parking is to get the eligible person out of the flow of traffic as quickly and safely as possible.

Hmm....I question if that is legal under ADA, Disney couldn't get away with that in California under their interpretation of ADA guidelines for parking lots, although right now they are making a mess out of the parking structure, but that is temporary and they can get away with that, especially since there is a viable alternative with the Toy Story lot. I can't see them getting away with ADA parking that far away on a permanent basis out here and my understanding is that Florida had even stricter guidelines based on their intereptations.

What are the guidelines about distance to an entrance? Could you post a link?

The Florida info posted above does not state a distance, just that it has to be an accessible route - no barriers.

The Florida info posted above does not state a distance, just that it has to be an accessible route - no barriers.
I do not think FL has a law about the distance I know one place in my town that the handicap spot is further away from the door but it has a ramp at the spot and then you have a side walk that takes you too the front door

The Florida info states:
with easily accessible routes to the building entrance
This would be at the heart of any argument against how they are doing things, one could easily argue that the distance alone makes it not an "easily accessible route"

As for California, here is a link:
https://adata.org/factsheet/parking

The applicable part here is:
Accessible spaces must connect to the shortest accessible route to the accessible building entrance or facility they serve.

• If a parking facility serves multiple buildings or accessible entrances, accessible parking spaces should be dispersed to enable people to park near as many accessible entrances as possible.
    For example: A shopping center has fifteen stores, each with a separate entrance. There is one large parking lot with 1000 spaces. The twenty accessible parking spaces should be dispersed to provide some options for people to park close to the different stores.
  • If separate parking facilities serve the same building or entrance, accessible spaces may be grouped together, as long as the number of spaces provided is determined according to each of the separate parking facilities.

For example: A sports stadium has an adjacent parking lot with 1000 spaces and a separate parking lot several blocks away with an additional 1500 spaces. The adjacent lot needs 20 accessible spaces (four of which need to be van-accessible), and the remote lot needs 25 accessible spaces (five of which need to be van-accessible). Since accessible spaces need to be as near as possible to the facilities they serve, the 45 accessible spaces (including nine van-accessible) can be located in the lot adjacent to the stadium.
The sports stadium would be an apt example and there are ways that Disney could move the ADA parking spaces closer to the entrance by doing things like moving the tram route to drop off behind the ADA parking spaces.

In California, shortest accessible route has been further defined by local plan checkers as need to place the parking lots as close to the applicable buildings/entrances as is possible, they have made various businesses move their entire parking lots as a result.

Now, the alternative that Disney has been given at the hotels in California is that they can either make the parking closer or offer valet parking at self parking prices for those that have ADA placards/plates. Since Disney doesn't yet offer valet parking at the theme parks (but you can bet they will given that many other theme parks are starting to do so), they don't have that option yet.

The Florida info states:

This would be at the heart of any argument against how they are doing things, one could easily argue that the distance alone makes it not an "easily accessible route"

As for California, here is a link:
https://adata.org/factsheet/parking

The applicable part here is:
The sports stadium would be an apt example and there are ways that Disney could move the ADA parking spaces closer to the entrance by doing things like moving the tram route to drop off behind the ADA parking spaces.

In California, shortest accessible route has been further defined by local plan checkers as need to place the parking lots as close to the applicable buildings/entrances as is possible, they have made various businesses move their entire parking lots as a result.

Now, the alternative that Disney has been given at the hotels in California is that they can either make the parking closer or offer valet parking at self parking prices for those that have ADA placards/plates. Since Disney doesn't yet offer valet parking at the theme parks (but you can bet they will given that many other theme parks are starting to do so), they don't have that option yet.

So, you are saying HA spots have to be up against an entrance to be 'accessible' ? I think that's ridiculous - as there's so much walking/distance around the parks at Disney, or even in a grocery store, what difference does it make in the parking lot? Are they going to insist that things in the park be moved closer together next, or that the aisles in the store have to be shorter, etc, in California?

So, you are saying HA spots have to be up against an entrance to be 'accessible' ? I think that's ridiculous - as there's so much walking/distance around the parks at Disney, or even in a grocery store, what difference does it make in the parking lot? Are they going to insist that things in the park be moved closer together next, or that the aisles in the store have to be shorter, etc, in California?
No, I am not the one saying it, plancheckers and those doing ADA inspections (although that is done more in San Diego) are the ones saying it.

And it makes a huge difference in a parking lot where there is no where to sit or rest vs in the parks where there are benches, planters, chairs, etc. throughout that you can sit and rest on. That is a major difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter