Want to help-Adopt a Platoon?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
I really want to support our troups in a more tangible way. Like maybe thru www.adoptaplatoon.com or is there another website people would recommend? I have 2 DSs, 21yo and 24 yo; also, I worked for many years in a military school, and when I see the pictures of the troups in Iraq, their eyes remind me they could be my son, my student. Who needs my letters, my cookies, etc.?

I like www.anysoldier.com. Nearly 1,000 soldiers in the theater have volunteered to share your letters and care packages to their fellow soldiers who are not getting much if any mail from home. This effort started over a year ago by one soldier and his father and has grown into a wonderful and well-done grass-roots effort.

They would love to get your letters! They also list other "wish list" items, but the web organizers emphasis it's not about "stuff" but about "support." The soldiers really need to hear from us that we believe in them and what they are doing for us.

BTW, there is a problem with sending home-made goodies, but the soldiers list all kinds of favorite snacks and cookies they would appreciate receiving. Just a word of warning, the site is addictive because you get to read the messages posted by the individual soldiers. I'm sure you will be moved to tears more than once, and also uplifted by their courage, dedication and honor.

Merry Christmas and God Bless the Soldiers.

Thank you for posting this....a bunch of my friends and i were talking about h ow we should send cards and letters to soldiers--i sent one for a DIS member and i was just in awe of his reaction..im going to look at this website now--thank you

**edited--i just was looking at the website, and it says as some restrictions that some places will not take mail addressed to "any solider"...so then what do you do?

While the program is called "any soldier," the mail is actually addressed to the volunteer soldier. You add "attn: any soldier" below his name, or below your name in the return address field, so he knows the mail is intended for one of his buddies. Here's what the site says:

"There is no US Postal Service regulation concerning "Any Soldier", however there is a DOD Postal Manual (DOD 4525.6-M) Issue #22093 dated 9 January 2003, which states, "a. Mail addressed to "Any Service Member," or similar wording such as "Any Soldier," "Sailor," "Airman," or "Marine"; "Military Mail", etc., is prohibited. Mail must be addressed to an individual or job title such as "Commander," "Commanding Officer," etc."

All of our addresses belong to real soldiers with the addition of an attention line, which is completely legal. The real soldier is aware of, and volunteered for, this program and uses the attention line as notification of what the package is for.

Some postal clerks get confused by this so we suggest to avoid any arguments you simply draw a line through the attention line. The soldier will see this and appreciate your valor at the post office and he/she will still know what to do. We don't advocate getting into an argument with anyone."

from http://www.anysoldier.com/HowToSend.html

Hope this helps!

I want to add that of all the things DH gets, it is the cards and letters that mean the most! Thanks for thinking of the troops over there, it means a lot to them! :D

just wanted to say that i got a letter back from one of the air force men i sent a christmas card too...he sounded so appreciative..
i am going to send some more letters i think!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter