Want to stay at Old Key West with MIL...

vellamint

DIS Veteran
but just read that they dont have elevators in every building. What are my chances of landing either a first floor or a building with a elevator? Mom really cannot do stairs...especially after walking all day... As a matter of face I think we will need to rent her a wheelchair.

I was so happy to finally stay at Old Key West and now I dont know what to do....

Thoughts?

The good thing is there are lots of 1st floor rooms! And it is better to not be booked in the HH category since none of those buildings have elevators.

You should place a request for 1st floor or building with an elevator due to medical reasons. We did this when DH had just had knee surgery and was using an ECV. We received a 1st floor room in building 63 - one of the 3 buildings with an elevator! :goodvibes

but just read that they dont have elevators in every building. What are my chances of landing either a first floor or a building with a elevator? Mom really cannot do stairs...especially after walking all day... As a matter of face I think we will need to rent her a wheelchair.

I was so happy to finally stay at Old Key West and now I dont know what to do....

Thoughts?
Your chances of being successful with first floor or elevator building for medical reasons are very high but there is risk. The only way to guarantee the access you need is to get a HC unit. If you decide not to go that route, you're simply taking your chances and wouldn't have a right to complain if your request were not met which is unlikely though.

Your chances of being successful with first floor or elevator building for medical reasons are very high but there is risk. The only way to guarantee the access you need is to get a HC unit. If you decide not to go that route, you're simply taking your chances and wouldn't have a right to complain if your request were not met which is unlikely though.

I totally agree. We have needed to be in a first floor or elevator building several times because of scooter use, and our requests "for medical reasons" have always been successful.

The good thing is there are lots of 1st floor rooms! And it is better to not be booked in the HH category since none of those buildings have elevators.

You should place a request for 1st floor or building with an elevator due to medical reasons. We did this when DH had just had knee surgery and was using an ECV. We received a 1st floor room in building 63 - one of the 3 buildings with an elevator! :goodvibes

Im a little confused.....the HH category? Is that the Handicapped? According to the rest of the posts the HH category IS in elevator buildings no?

Im a little confused.....the HH category? Is that the Handicapped? According to the rest of the posts the HH category IS in elevator buildings no?
Near Hospitality House is buildings 11, 12, 13, 14 and 23, 24, 25, 26; buildings 62-64 are not included as I understand it. They are generally used for HC and medical requests it seems.

Okay now I understand. Unfortunately there are no hospitality house 2 bedrooms available. I am wait listed for one of those.

Currently we are booked into a one bedroom at the Wilderness Lodge.....

I guess I will call (as opposed to Doing on the internet) And reserve a two bedroom requesting first floor for medical reasons ... Then keep hospitality house as a wait list..

Okay now I understand. Unfortunately there are no hospitality house 2 bedrooms available. I am wait listed for one of those.

I guess I will call (as opposed to Doing on the internet) And reserve a two bedroom requesting first floor for medical reasons ... Then keep hospitality house as a wait list..
Other than location and distance alone, I don't see the near HH booking category would be helping you assuming you still require a first floor or elevator building. The only way you can guarantee what you need is to book HC. If anything, the non HH booking category gives you a slightly better chance because it does include the elevator buildings plus several that are about as near as those in the category. If you're inclined to take your chances, I'd book the non HH category and request elevator building for medical reasons as first choice and first floor near bus stop for medical reasons as second choice. I would put NO other requests in. Your chances of getting caught are low but not zero. If you decide not to go with the HC unit or it's not available, and you decide to try OKW, you just need to be prepared for the fact that you may get a non first floor unit only accessible with stairs.

We have booked MIL/FIL twice at OKW. MIL has bad knees and we do 1st floor medical request and got 1st floor both times (and building 14 both times...booked the HH section). MIL/FIL LOVE it there...have them booked there again for our Dec trip in a 1BR, though will try to move them over to AKV with the rest of us at the 7 month window. I think they are secretly hoping AKV 1BR's are all booked up because they LOVE their OKW.

I'm so glad I saw this thread. If my DB accepts our invitation, we will be taking him and my dear niece and dear nephew to OKW next February. He will need a scooter for the parks only and will need some accomodations due to medical issues, but not a handicapped room. I will have to remember to make sure to note that we need a room on the ground floor!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter