Water bottles in locker?

donaldfansfromphilly

Earning My Ears
Three of us are visiting WDW this August. I’m concerned about staying hydrated, and I’m planning on taking into each park at RD 3-20oz bottles of water plus a 40 oz Takeya insulated bottle with water too. Since a bottle of water at the park is prob $4-5, would it make sense to rent a locker and fill with water for the day? Usual day in the park lasts 6-8 hrs.

I’m fine refilling with tap water, but dh isn’t.
Any tips on keeping hydrated?

Walking back-and-forth and back-and-forth all day in addition to the walking back-and-forth that is the Disney parks experience? Exhausting.

As other posters said, you can get free ice water at most food service locations. I use drinking fountains-- the water isn't always the tastiest, but when I'm sweating in what feels like Hell's front porch in August or September, even Florida water tastes good.

Actually, most of the drinking fountains aren't too bad anymore. Some of them used to have a real funky taste, but in the past few trips, I've noticed that the water seems to be of better quality. Even my MOM doesn't complain and she can taste every little imperfection or impurity in everything.

I agree with PPs, but also who is drinking the three 20 oz bottles ? Unless you are buying soda or something with a meal, I don't think that's going to be enough to drink in August in disney.

Personally, I'd go with ask for ice water at CS to dump into the Britta.

Too much time, energy to carry to the park, pay for a locker, store it all day( likely be tepid at best). Then walk back n forth... ugh!
Instead i too suggest grabbing free water/ice at any QS or better yet... do
what we do..
Just figure the cost into ur visit. It’s easier, there’s tons of places to grab an ice cold bottle ( and if u want some flavor, bring along the little packets)
We always bring atleast a case of water to our resort room. We each leave with that first bottle and just buy what we need ...as needed. Makes the visit and our life just that much easier.
Enjoy!

I had planned to get the Brita filter bottles, but talked myself out of it on the "just get QS water" argument. I somewhat regret that:
  1. Only some QS locations have self-service water dispensers. At many you have to ask at the counter. This means either waiting needlessly or being a line-jumper; even if you butt in to ask for it you have to wait for busy QS staff.
  2. They hand you a small (maybe 6oz?) paper cup. Do you want to keep going back and asking for more?
  3. Most importantly, there isn't always a QS handy to your location or your plan. If you're a commando, you lose valuable time ducking into QS all the time. If you're a human, especially a small human, you will be thirsty approximately every 3 minutes. If you're a steely-eyed park hopper who'll stand in line three hours for a ride... you're going to need some water during those three hours.
I'll also second the opinion that "Geez, the water fountain water isn't that bad!" This is survival, not fine dining. I'd say "Carry whatever ordinary bottle you can conveniently carry, and refill it wherever you can."

In July and September, I noticed so many CS locations having a counter full of ice water. Walk in, grab 4-6 cups and walk out. I like getting a Powerade or two each day just to get some flavor but the free water is really a nice option. We like to give it to Disney for looking for a new way to squeeze more money from us all, but the free water is appreciated and not hidden.

3 20oz bottles of water wouldn’t be enough for us in June let alone August. The humidity and amount of physical activity just takes it out of you. I feel I’d go through that much before lunch. We have used the Brita filtered before and it filtered well but they aren’t insulated (the ones we had) and water got hot fast! Now we use metal insulated ones from Target. We refill at quick service places and I also carry some of those lemonade packs you mix with water just in case the flavor isn’t ok woth someone in our party.

3 20oz bottles of water wouldn’t be enough for us in June let alone August. The humidity and amount of physical activity just takes it out of you. I feel I’d go through that much before lunch. We have used the Brita filtered before and it filtered well but they aren’t insulated (the ones we had) and water got hot fast! Now we use metal insulated ones from Target. We refill at quick service places and I also carry some of those lemonade packs you mix with water just in case the flavor isn’t ok woth someone in our party.

Brita has actually come out with new bottles and there IS an insulated one now. I agree that was the only downside to them before.

This past September, my niece and I tried doing the quick service water rather than buying water bottles in parks (like in the past). She would go to the "food pick-up" window and ask that cast member for 2 cups of ice water. Other locations would just have cups out (with lids) for people to take. We had a sit-down lunch at the Plaza Restaurant and asked them for 2 cups of ice water before we left. Our waitress gave us 2 20oz cups! We would just pour the ice water into the insulated resort tumbler and went about our day. I didn't notice any kind of odd taste.

On a side note - If you have an Annual Pass (and insist on buying bottled water), you can buy bottles of water from the beverage coolers in the shops using your AP discount. Beverage carts in the park do not accept the discount.

This past September, my niece and I tried doing the quick service water rather than buying water bottles in parks (like in the past). She would go to the "food pick-up" window and ask that cast member for 2 cups of ice water. Other locations would just have cups out (with lids) for people to take. We had a sit-down lunch at the Plaza Restaurant and asked them for 2 cups of ice water before we left. Our waitress gave us 2 20oz cups! We would just pour the ice water into the insulated resort tumbler and went about our day. I didn't notice any kind of odd taste.

On a side note - If you have an Annual Pass (and insist on buying bottled water), you can buy bottles of water from the beverage coolers in the shops using your AP discount. Beverage carts in the park do not accept the discount.
This is exactly what we do. Now at Universal it’s a whole different story as we hate the locker system and therefore can’t carry our water bottles. Very spoiled with Disney.

I'll also second the opinion that "Geez, the water fountain water isn't that bad!" This is survival, not fine dining. I'd say "Carry whatever ordinary bottle you can conveniently carry, and refill it wherever you can."

This is always my reaction to these threads, too. The water doesn't taste great, but I always acclimate to it within a day and stop caring. Our strategy in Disneyland was to just buy one bottle of water each and then refill the disposable bottles until we inevitably lost them somewhere. Each of us only bought two or three bottles of water over a week-long trip; it would have been fewer if we'd been better about checking seatback pockets when we got off of rides. This next time around in WDW I'll probably just carry my refillable resort mug with me, since my problem is more that I find it difficult to drink enough water out of a fountain to feel hydrated--filling a mug makes it easier to get a substantial drink.

Has he tried Brita filtered water bottles? My water snob friend and I used those on our last trip and they were perfect for making the water drinkable. And then we just could carry them with us all day and refill at Quick Service restaurants as needed.
THIS. DH and I used them on our honeymoon trip. I absolutely love the Brita bottles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter