MAPS: by Robo. WDW places & how to get there.

Posted below are collections of maps of WDW that I have created over time
in order to answer many "Where is..." questions on the DISboards.

Add my gratitude to those who have come before me!

Just a quick background. First visited WDW as a teenager in 70's. Didn't go back until the '90's for our honeymoon. After a couple of more visits we stopped going around 2001 because of kids. Tower of Terror was the new ride at MGM Studios, Test Track had just opened at Epcot and Asia was soft opening in DAK. We are Disneyland veterans. We are trying to apply our Disneyland knowledge and learn what we can via the internet.

As others have said these maps are invaluable to help prepare us to navigate the area. It is scary to think how a misstep or a moment of indecision in navigating a route can mean the difference between a walk on at time spent in line. We know from Disneyland, being on the wrong side of the street can have huge consequences about where you get in line and when you get to the ride.

I am curious to know how the maps were created? I am a huge fan of using satellite imagery to help prepare me to get my bearings. I recognize the Google imagery. The construction phase of Pandora is a giveaway. What did you use to draw the various lines/curves and annotate the images?

One other suggestion is to try Google Earth app to access historic images to see how areas change over time. You can also visit other satellite sources, like Bing Maps to get other snapshots in time.

I am curious to know how the maps were created? I am a huge fan of using satellite imagery to help prepare me to get my bearings. I recognize the Google imagery. The construction phase of Pandora is a giveaway. What did you use to draw the various lines/curves and annotate the images?

Adobe Photoshop.
Lots of great tools available in that application.

Thanks for the kind words about the maps
and the testimonial as to why sometimes it can matter a great deal to know exactly the "best place" to be.

These maps are fantastically helpful! Thanks very much for making and posting them.

Cheers Robo for taking all the time and effort into making these maps and this post as it has helped with our families planning, just a couple of more weeks to go!

Contents:
(Click on a heading below to be taken to its post.)
Magic Kingdom w/MK Fireworks Viewing Maps -Post #2
Epcot FW & WS w/Routes to Soarin', Test Track, Mission:SPACE, and Norway/Frozen -Post #3
Disney's Hollywood Studios w/Fantasmic! -Post #4
Disney's Animal Kingdom w/Pandora & Rivers of Light Seating -Post #5
Ft. Wilderness Campground w/Hoop Dee-Doo, Mickey's BBQ, and Campfire Movies -Post #6
Going Place-to-Place at WDW & Express Transportation Bus locations-Post #7

WDW events, attractions, and locations are generally in a constant state of flux,
so the maps have always been (and currently are) an ongoing work-in-progress.
Suggestions are always welcome.

So, if you see something that's out-of-date, I wouldn't be too surprised. :)
------------

The maps are awesome! Thanks!

Cheers Robo for taking all the time and effort into making these maps and this post as it has helped with our families planning, just a couple of more weeks to go!

Have a great trip!

Any chance you could use the aerial photos below to create an awesome "rope drop" map for AK like you did for MK?

Please? Pretty please? ;)

DAK ENTRANCE RopeDrop Area

DAK Morning Rope Drop & Rivers of Light Seating - Wide Shot

DAK Central Area: Tusker House & Pandora

DAK Central - WS w/Routes to Pandora and Dual Routes to Expedition Everest

DAK Path to Pandora (Guest Drop-Off spot in Guest Parking Lot: bottom right)

DAK-Pandora-Route_032917_zpszdx6mqme.jpg

Any chance you could use the aerial photos below to create an awesome "rope drop" map for AK like you did for MK?

Please? Pretty please? ;)

Sorry. I'm unsure of what kind of map you are requesting.
(Also, are you referencing the MK Rope Drop map that shows the front gates area?)

I looked at the photos on the site below.
http://mickeyxtreme.net/blog/looks-ready-to-me-pandora-world-of-avatar-new-aerials

If those are the ones about which you are asking...
what kind of info would you like to see laid over the image(s?)

Sorry. I'm unsure of what kind of map you are requesting.
(Also, are you referencing the MK Rope Drop map that shows the front gates area?)

I looked at the photos on the site below.
http://mickeyxtreme.net/blog/looks-ready-to-me-pandora-world-of-avatar-new-aerials

If those are the ones about which you are asking...
what kind of info would you like to see laid over the image(s?)

I was hoping to see some maps like these two below. It would be great to know where the CMs hold you in the morning, how they get you through Pandora and where the crowds separate for Soarin and iasw, er I mean FoP and NRJ. ;)

MK Hub Rope Drop to Peter Pan's Flight

Three Routes to Peter Pan.
If the "through the castle route" (green) is closed, choose whichever of the others you prefer.
"West of the castle" path (blue) may be a bit shorter than the Liberty Square (orange) route,
but how the CMs open the ropes may affect which way you can go the earliest.

MK-PeterPan-Path-x3_042917_zpstqeaxufr.jpg

MK Hub Rope Drop to Space Mtn. (facing East)
Shown is the "old version" of the Hub, before the 2015 rebuild.

MK-ROPE-SpaceMtn_031117_zpsjqxkrfez.gif

MK Main Street to Space Mtn. (facing East)

MK-GATES-SpaceM-NoodleSta_031117_zpsekaz0yen.gif

MK Main Street to Seven Dwarf's Mine Train

MK-FantL-7DMT-042415_zpsoi9fhunl.jpg

I was hoping to see some maps like these two below. It would be great to know where the CMs hold you in the morning, how they get you through Pandora and where the crowds separate for Soarin and iasw, er I mean FoP and NRJ. ;)

Ah.
I'll do some research and maybe I work something up before too long.

MK Entrance Gate Area
As of Jan. 9, 2017, the MK Rope Drop Welcome Show is held on the Castle Stage (directly in front of the castle.)
MK guests are admitted onto Main Street USA 60-75 minutes before the posted opening time
so that they can stroll, shop, or otherwise await "Rope Drop Time."
At that time, the ropes in the Hub that are blocking the entrances to all of the MK lands will be dropped, and guests will be admitted into the attraction areas.

MK-Gates_031917_zpsgfjdeui2.jpg

I think it may be time to update this map. My understanding from the YouTube video I've included below and from some research on this site is that the security checkpoint (#6 on your picture) may have been moved/dispersed. I think they've pushed out the security to divide up the crowds at points further away from the MK entrance.

If this understanding is correct, could you please update your map? Thanks!

Excellent! Where are you getting the aerial imagery for this area? I looked on Google Maps and it showed the old configuration with the two security areas right in front.

What did you find out about foot traffic from CR to MK? You show the walking path as legend #12/ I didn't see any security tents in your imagery. Are pedestrians being funneled into the Bus Security areas, is it outside the photograph, or is it not visible from images you have?

Thanks for updating this.

Any updates coming up on AK? ;)

Excellent! Where are you getting the aerial imagery for this area? I looked on Google Maps and it showed the old configuration with the two security areas right in front.

What did you find out about foot traffic from CR to MK? You show the walking path as legend #12/ I didn't see any security tents in your imagery. Are pedestrians being funneled into the Bus Security areas, is it outside the photograph, or is it not visible from images you have?

Thanks for updating this.

Any updates coming up on AK? ;)

There is separate scanning near the west end of the "CR path," but I didn't show it.
How I create certain changes is all part of the art of building the maps.

It takes a quite a bit of time to create certain changes, so I generally wait until
preliminary changes become (more or less) "permanent" before I build a new map.

Thank you @Robo for these maps- I have always brought them with me!

I would love to try the walk from HS to the international gateway this year.

When coming out of HS, do we veer left? Are there and signs/landmarks or will it be pretty self explanatory?

Also, on the map you indicate cutting through one of the buildings- which one is that?

Finally, about how long (average) of a walk would you guess it is?

Thanks so much
:flower1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!