WDW Marathon for Spectators

lhermiston

Beer-powered running machine
Hey everyone,

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, I'm a lapsed Disboard member, first-time user of the runDisney forum. Anyway, I'm wondering if there is a good place for information for spectators? My wife and I are going for the 2017 marathon (my first marathon/runDisney event) and I'd like to get some information for her. The official runDisney website was a little limited.

Any advice, links or other information would be greatly appreciated!

The runDisney site for marathon weekend has a section that explains fairly well how to get to MK to watch the runners in the morning. The marathon weekend guide also has a full page with details on places to watch the runners, what time to be there, and how to get there. TL, DR: go to TTC first, walk over to GF and Poly, then head back to Epcot for the finish.

Hey everyone,

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, I'm a lapsed Disboard member, first-time user of the runDisney forum. Anyway, I'm wondering if there is a good place for information for spectators? My wife and I are going for the 2017 marathon (my first marathon/runDisney event) and I'd like to get some information for her. The official runDisney website was a little limited.

Any advice, links or other information would be greatly appreciated!

You will have a blast in WDW.

Before I got into running, I ran around the half marathon course chasing my friends since I was their photographer. DW can ride with you from your resort to the pre staging area. It is a DJ on a stage with video, some character photo ops, water, racer retreat and your bag check tents. She can stay with you until you are called to your corral.

Once you go to your corral DW will have some options based off of how fast of a runner you are. There is a spectator area for the start of all of the corrals. Those that want to see their family/friends can follow the sign.

If DW wants to see and take a pic of you at the start, you will need to line up on the left side of the corral so that it will be easier for her to see you. My friend is in the pink shirt. It helped me find her easier that she also started at the front of her corral.

After she see's you she will need to beeline to the monorail and get to the TTC. She could also see you on the way over to the TTC.

Now I have to tell you when I started to run the RunDisney events it was much nicer to run thru this

Here is a choice. She can choose to see you at the TTC and then walk over to the Poly to see you after the MK.

Or she can choose to go straight to the MK and see you running down Main Street and coming out thru the castle.

Now I would say that it is remotely possible for her to see you in all 3 spots but all of the running Gods would have to be on your side to catch the monorails just right and your speed not as fast.

Now at this point the year I was shooting the marathon I did not want to miss my friend crossing the line so I choose to go straight back to Epcot. I did not want to chance the road closures and traffic delays in trying to get to AK, ESPN, or HS. There are a lot of people cheering at those locations. That is where they choose to cheer their runners. Or they could have been part of a really large group and they all choose a different spot to do their cheering. A big spot is over exiting HS and the Epcot resorts. There are plenty of spots for hugs, high five's, encouragement, and a beer or 2 to help start the recovery process a little sooner as @FFigawi says. :thumbsup2

If you and DW have park tickets, passes, and are going o use them that day when she gets back to Epcot from the MK she can walk thru and out the International Gateway (as long as Epcot is open) to cheer you on. Then come back thru to cheer you at the finish.

This was my perspective when I was spectating, before I caught the bug to join everyone else running on the course.

Also Lee Hoedl put together a fantastic video of the 2014 WDW Marathon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter