WDW trip w.elderly parents

umworkerbee

Earning My Ears
Hi--thought I'd ask you all on this board for some help. I'd like to take my parents to WDW next year, the problems are these--my dad has just been diagnosed with Lewy-body dementia and my mom has severe arthritis in her knees. I was thinking of either renting a vacation home w.pool and having a car, or staying at either GF or CR onsite w/o car rental. If I rent a vacation home, are any of them handicap accessible? Will the off-site vendors deliver to a rental home for scooters or wheelchairs? Should I go with the rental home or onsite? There is nothing like disney magic onsite. I want to make this as easy as possible on them while letting them experience the disney they love. All thoughts and advice are more than welcome. Thanks.

I am not sure what needs your dad has, but based on what you posted, have you considered one of Disney's "home away from home" resorts? I know that OKW is especially popular with people on this board. I stayed there some time ago and it was great for accessibility and very relaxing. We also stayed in a studio at the BW and did not like it as much -- less quiet and LONG hallways. Another benefit of the "home away from home" resorts is that you have the ability to fix some meals yourself.

Offsite rental companies do deliver in the WDW area and it is included in the price.

The car/no car issue in my opinion depends on what you and your family will want to do and if you will have 2 ECVs or an ECV & a wc. You would need a big vehicle to fit two ECVs! There are 2 wc spots on each bus so the bus is definitely viable.

I would also consider trying to go in the off season if you can as the cooler weather and smaller crowds may make your trip more enjoyable.

This is kind of general, if you have any other thoughts on what everyone would like to do and what your parents' needs are, I can try again! What a nice trip for them!

:wave: Cupcake

Originally posted by umworkerbee
If I rent a vacation home, are any of them handicap accessible? Will the off-site vendors deliver to a rental home for scooters or wheelchairs? Should I go with the rental home or onsite? There is nothing like disney magic onsite. I want to make this as easy as possible on them while letting them experience the disney they love. All thoughts and advice are more than welcome. Thanks.
Yes, there are handicapped accessible vacation homes off site. There have been some DIS posters who have rented some of the accessible off-site homes.
The off-site equipment rental companies will deliver - whether or not they will deliver to a vacation home kind of depends on where it is. You'd probably be better off for that with Walker, Colonial or Care, which are full service medical equipment suppliers:
Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/
Phone (407) 856-2273 • Toll Free U.S and Canada (800) 741-2282

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html
(800)747-0246

One thing to think about with an on-site room is whether you would be all staying in the same room or need more than one room. Something to think about besides a GF or CR room would be renting a DVC villa. A one or two bedroom would give lots of space and a homey atmosphere since you would have a lving room and kitchen. A one bedroom would mean 2 people need to sleep on a sofa bed if there are 4 of you. A 2 bedroom would sleep 4 in actual beds and still have room for 2 on the living room sofa bed and 2 in the 2nd bedroom (either a queen bed or a sofa bed, depending on the room layout). An economical way to do DVC is to rent points from a member. There's a DVC rental board that can help you out. There are fully wheelchair accessible DVC villas at each site.

Between when I started typing this and when I finally posted, I notice that cupcake had the same idea about DVC. We are members of DVC at OKW and especially enjoy the extra room there, the ability to park right outside your door and the large roofed balcony with table and chairs. It's very relaxing. Another thing to think about is stimulation. While some people like the extra activity that goes along with being in a hotel, for some people with dementia, it's too mcuh stimulation. Having a quiet place to get back to without having to get to the car and take a drive might be very benficial. If you choose DVC and don't want to stay at OKW, my second choice would be BCV. You still have the long hallways to get to your room, but it seems less busy at that resort than at BW. At BC, you would be walking/wheelchair driving distance to Epcot and the Studios or can take the boats there. Bus transportation goes to MK and AK. (although the busses are shared and can be busy).

Thanks for all those suggestions. I hadn't thought about the DVC villas, it's something to think about. Maybe the best idea would be to rent an offsite vacation home w.pool for a few days for my mother--she loves the idea of her own pool, as long as it's accessible to her (stair w.rail leading into pool) and then perhaps buying points for stay at BCV for rest of stay. Probably going last part of Sept or first part of Oct. And renting car for easier access around town. I'd like to get scooter for dad, but not sure if he could handle it--he's just starting medication and seems to be a little better, so we'll see. I know my mom would love one, but would balk a getting two. Again, we'll see. Thanks for the replies
Even though I mostly lurk on these boards, I glean much info and ideas here, and appreciate all the people that do post. Everyone on disboards rocks! Pixie dust for everyone!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter