WDW vets..do you stay at the same Disney...

We try to go to Disney annually, and I like switching up the resorts when we can. Generally speaking, service and amenities will be the same amongst each resort category so it mostly comes down to theme preferences and transportation. Those are the only big differences between similar resorts within the respective categories (value, moderate, deluxe).

Generally, we stick to moderate and value resorts because of the price point. The deluxe amenities, for us, are not enough to justify the additional cost. Recently, we stayed at Art of Animation and LOVED the Skyliner, so we have a stay at Pop booked for the Fall.

We have stayed at POR twice and POFQ once. Both are great resorts, and although sister resorts, are each uniquely themed. If you decide on POFQ, you can also use the amenities at POR which is a quick walk away. The boat to Disney Springs is also a great option as well. I think you'll also find the theme of POFQ is more adult-oriented compared to the values. In other words, the adults can appreciate the details and nuances of the theme.

We've gone for many years so pretty much have stayed at any resort that fit what we wanted. We usually don't stay at the same resort twice in a row, but we have a list of those that are possibilities and usually go with the one we can get at the best price. We've got 5-6 resorts we like the most, and choose between them. We've tried values, but would only stay at AOA suites. I haven't found a moderate I would want to stay at twice other than GDT- I don't like exterior corridors. So mostly, it's Deluxe or DVC villas in our pool of choices.

To answer your first question, no we don't always stay at the same resort. I have actually stayed at all of them except SS, POFQ, AoA and WL, we have even camped at the Fort.

Second, if budget allows it, I would probably bump up to the moderate. There is a tad more space in the rooms, we love the fact that there is a hot tub at the main pools and the food options seem to be a tad better. We tend to stay where budget allows within a few certain parameters. We spend most of our time at Epcot and HS so we tend to do split stays with the majority of the stay at an Epcot resort, lately that has been Dolphin. When we stay at a value resort at the beginning of a stay, I just pick which ever one is less during the time frame I'm interested in. As far as moderate, CS is my favorite but they all have something going for them.

I absolutely love POFQ. We've stayed there 2/4 of our trips, and our next one is booked there making it 3/5 (if we get to go).

But I'm not sure if I'd recommend it for you. You're a family of 5. POFQ only provides beds for 4. You said your DS will be almost 2 when you go. Would they still sleep in a pack n play then, or would you prefer them in a bed? You might want to consider POR as an alternative to POFQ. It's sistered with POFQ, so you can still enjoy all the amenities of POFQ, but they have rooms capable of housing 5, with an extra fold down bunk. You can get a ton of information about both resorts at portorleans.org.

Another option is the family suites at AoA, which will give you loads of room and the ability to segregate the sleeping. But their prices reach almost deluxe level pricing, which is why I've stayed away from them. I just couldn't justify the price for a family of 4.

We've gone 4 times in the past 6 years and have never stayed at the same resort twice, we like mixing it up and trying new dining options and different theming. We usually stay deluxe but I would consider POFQ because it is compact like a deluxe, has the boat transport to Disney Springs, and those famous beignets that I've been dying to try. If they leaned into the New Orleans inspiration with a Princess and Frog themed character meal like they have on the Disney Wonder that would seal the deal!

We've gone 4 times in the past 6 years and have never stayed at the same resort twice, we like mixing it up and trying new dining options and different theming. We usually stay deluxe but I would consider POFQ because it is compact like a deluxe, has the boat transport to Disney Springs, and those famous beignets that I've been dying to try. If they leaned into the New Orleans inspiration with a Princess and Frog themed character meal like they have on the Disney Wonder that would seal the deal!
Since they lack a Table Service restaurant, I don't see a character meal coming anytime soon.

There is rumours that there'll be one (Princess and the Frog that is) in the new Reflections DVC. I'm waiting to see what comes of that.

There is lots of other Princess and the Frog paraphernalia around POFQ though. For instance, I believe it's one of the few sites to get a frog pressed penny.

We’re DVC and have stayed at several resorts over the years, though the last few we’ve been stuck on Poly because we love it so much. I’m all about trying new places but if you’re not going to be devoting much time to stay and explore the resort IMO it would be better to stay at AS and save the money for a fireworks dessert party or something.

Resort every time you go? I'm a Disneyland vet, but went to WDW in 2017 and stayed at All Star Sports. We loved it. Anyway, WDW is calling my name. So I'm "planning" on going back June 2021. It will be me, DH and our three children who will then be DD 15,DD 11 and DS almost 2. All Star Sports fit all our needs. We loved the pools and were happy with the service we got. For a while I was so set on staying at French Quarter due to all the excellent reviews it's gotten, and the fact that it will be the ONLY time ever to stay there together as a family of five.It would cost a little more and I'm sure my tight- with -money husband would frown, but too bad. I'm watching YouTube videos of French Quarter and the All Star resorts, and I got to thinking, is French Quarter really all that great? I'm sure we'd love it there, but basically we're just looking for a place to sleep and take a swim. My girls want to stay at All Star Sports again, or give Music a try. What would you do?
I think you've already made up your mind, and I agree. If you love the All Star Sports, then that's all that counts!
You will find that there are opinions on all the resorts here; some love or hate certain ones.
I wouldn't change as your children seem to be the perfect age for those resorts and apparently love it.
We stay at POFQ due to mobility reasons. It is smaller and easier for us seniors to get around. You will find families, yes, but you will also find those with mobility reasons who choose this resort for it's size, like us.
Hope this helped! Either way you will have a great time.

We started driving down at least once and sometimes several times a year since 1989. In that time we have stayed at the Tree House Villas, Poly, Contemporary (wing). French Quarter (probably stayed here the most). and Old Key West. We now stay in our own condo (motorhome) at Fort Wilderness.
Each resort had it's own draws and drawbacks, but we liked each one and stayed multiple times. We only stay at the Fort now, no longer using the resorts, but again, we liked each one. I'm thinking you really can't go wrong staying at the resorts recommended by the people who commented.
Enjoy wherever you decide to stay!

We've stayed at all levels of resort. We really love the bigger rooms that the deluxe resorts have. Our family is growing so now we look for villas. We all like the space, but if we ever go without our entourage, I'd go back to BC in a heartbeat.

But I'm not sure if I'd recommend it for you. You're a family of 5. POFQ only provides beds for 4. You said your DS will be almost 2 when you go. Would they still sleep in a pack n play then, or would you prefer them in a bed?

Another option is the family suites at AoA, which will give you loads of room and the ability to segregate the sleeping. But their prices reach almost deluxe level pricing, which is why I've stayed away from them. I just couldn't justify the price for a family of 4.

I'd be fine with my son sleeping in a playpen. I'm not so sure I'd be willing to pay the price for a suite at a value. As you mentioned, the price is so close to a standard room at a deluxe. I'd rather put my money towards a deluxe if need be.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I really appreciate it. I see I have a lot to think about. I'm sure when the time comes , the right decision will come to me. Until then, as I've been doing this whole pandemic is watch YouTube videos of all the various Disney resorts and pretend I'm really there. I need a Disney fix BAD. I didn't go last year due to the extreme fatigue I had through pregnancy. I'm supposed to go to Disneyland in CA in August,but not very hopeful of that. The only thing keeping me going is planning my next Disney WORLD trip.

I'd be fine with my son sleeping in a playpen. I'm not so sure I'd be willing to pay the price for a suite at a value. As you mentioned, the price is so close to a standard room at a deluxe. I'd rather put my money towards a deluxe if need be.
Ok, in that case, POFQ would work fine for you. I love how compact the resort is over the other moderates, but it has a lot of moderate amenities, like covered bus stops (big thing for us). I was just throwing POR out there as an alternative due to the 5th bed.

We have favorites that we've stayed at more than once, but we usually like to try a new resort each time we go. So far we've stayed at:
AoA
POR
POFQ
CSR
All Star Movies
Poly
Contemporary
AKL
Beach Club
Boardwalk Inn
Swan/Dolphin

Next trip we're trying Wilderness Lodge. Personally, we're at the point where we avoid values and go for at least moderates on trips and deluxe if the price is right. We're starting to appreciate the resort amenities more as my kids get older and we're not simply in the parks from open to close. I'd go with at least a moderate for your trip.

No, we don't stay at the same resort every time. So many options to choose from and maybe the one you wouldn't expect to like turns out to be a surprise that you really enjoy.
I wasn't expecting to enjoy POFQ as much as I did. We loved it there!

Resort every time you go? I'm a Disneyland vet, but went to WDW in 2017 and stayed at All Star Sports. We loved it. Anyway, WDW is calling my name. So I'm "planning" on going back June 2021. It will be me, DH and our three children who will then be DD 15,DD 11 and DS almost 2. All Star Sports fit all our needs. We loved the pools and were happy with the service we got. For a while I was so set on staying at French Quarter due to all the excellent reviews it's gotten, and the fact that it will be the ONLY time ever to stay there together as a family of five.It would cost a little more and I'm sure my tight- with -money husband would frown, but too bad. I'm watching YouTube videos of French Quarter and the All Star resorts, and I got to thinking, is French Quarter really all that great? I'm sure we'd love it there, but basically we're just looking for a place to sleep and take a swim. My girls want to stay at All Star Sports again, or give Music a try. What would you do?

Obviously we have a favorite but our cash trip resort is always All Start Sports. We enjoy the lively atmosphere and the open spaces for DS9 to run off any excess energy. He likes the pools. DS18 likes to take pictures of all the crazy things there. If we aren't at OKW there's a good chance we'll be at All Star Sports

We have stayed at a few different resorts. Saying that we always end up at All Stars. Usually All Star Sports because we go when they offer free dining. If no free dining we like All Star Movies, I like the refurb they did. Since its just me and DH we only use the room to shower and sleep. We don't use the pool and other than coffee don't really use the food court.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter