WDW with Aspergers

DISNEY4FUN

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice/suggestions. My 5 year old son was recently diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrom. We've been to the parks about 5 times over the last three years. He used to love to ride, but gradually he has grown afraid of the parks. Our last trip he didn't want to leave the room and when we did talk him in to leaving he wouldn't ride anything. I'm not fully educated on Asperger's yet or exactly how to deal with it. My son has a problem with crowds/strangers and any interaction with them. He started full day kindergarten this year. I think that is what has hightened his fears this last year. Anyway, I am looking for any suggestions as to how I can make him more comfortable on our next trip. I know about the special pass to avoid wating in the crammed queue areas. Anything else?

Thanks.

Hi there, you've come to the right place. Do a search on Aspergers and you will get lots of info.

My ds(8 1/2) also has Aspergers and some other diagnosis...like yours he gradually has gotten more and more afraid. Last trip the only attraction he got on out of a 12 day trip was the teacups. He is terrified of the dark, and anything 3-D, and won't even get on things he used to love. Like yours my ds is beside himself with the crowds.....Now what we did.

When my ds got too big for a stroller we had a couple of very stressful trips. Then our MD's suggested renting a wheelchair. OMG what a difference...we have done 2 trips with it now. He has his own safe area and he can enjoy everything around him or slink back with his gameboy for a few minutes. He was a blessing in the crowded airports ( we rented it from home) , and amazing during parades etc. We can sit in the wheelchair section and he doesn't experience the crowding in of people when the parade starts.

I know this isn't for everyone...I struggled for a long time with this. My son has special needs and when we are on vacation he needs a wheelchair.

tmli said:
I know this isn't for everyone...I struggled for a long time with this. My son has special needs and when we are on vacation he needs a wheelchair.
The most common wheelchairs to rent are adult size. Depending on the size of your child and their tolerence/comfort level, an adult size wheelchair might not be the best choice. For most kids, an adult wheelchair is going to be too wide (if it's a sling style, the child will sort of sink to the middle). Also the depth means most kids either have to sit far forward in the seat (so, no back support) or far back in the seat (which means they can't bend their knees). The armrests can hit anywhere from midchest to neck height (depending on your child and how high they sit up). Those things might be very annoying to someone on the autism spectrum who is extremely aware of little things like tags on their shirts.
Renting a wheelchair before you leave home would allow him a chance to get used to it. You might even be able to find a child size wheelchair (which are kind of hard to find in Orlando).
I know people have posted that at least one of the child equipment rental places (I think it is A Baby's Best Friend) rent "special needs strollers". These are sort of like large size umbrella or jogging type strollers made for bigger kids. That might work out better for you since they are made for large kids/small adults.
People have also posted that the WDW park rental strollers work out well for kids on the autism spectrum. The ones at most of the parks are a hard plastic (like Little Tikes products are made of). The pressure of the hard plastic and the high, solid sides of the strollers are the things most people who comment have found are helpful for their kids. The park strollers will fit up to a small 12 yr old (according to CMs who have posted). Some people rent a double for larger kids.
To use a stroller in line, you would need a Guest Assistance Card (GAC) that states you are using the stroller as a wheelchair.

You can try to get your son 'into it' before you go, by doing a few things....sometimes this works wonders!
My stepson is autistic, and hates crowds--especially standing in them. He DOES however like Mickey and the idea of the parks. Long before leaving home, we got Disney postcards and sent them to him. Sometimes we just put them in the mailbox for him to 'find'. He got all excited thinking Mickey was waiting for him to come ride all the rides at the park (we went to Disneyland). Then a cool CM from DL (who I met on a dis board) sent us the map and info they give you at the park. That made my stepson think he was 'special' because he had a 'friend' at the park!
When we actually got to DL, we kept up chatter about how he was going to tell his 'friend' about the rides....his 'friend' was going to be SO proud that he went on (whatever ride). He actually ended up going on everythkng! He was 7 at the time.

Every child is different, we actually didn't have any luck finding a child wheelchair at home either. We rent a transport chair and it actually worked better. It's a little deep still so we put a obus back support on it and it was perfect. Cost is only $50/mth. I talked to him and showed him pictures of the special needs "strollers" and he'd have none of that...he was too old for a stroller of any kind.

His fears of crowds, dark, rides, characters are very severe. No amount of prep time could change that, wouldn't matter how many postcards I sent or how many friends. Alot of these things he has done before and knows exactly what happens, however his illness has progressed more and more to the point his fears are paralyzing.

You no your child best and what will/will not work. I can tell you though this June will be our 8th trip in 5 years and we love it. Even with the fears, and accomodations necessary...he is at his best when at WDW.

Glad to see I am not alone in this area.

DS8 has Asperger's. In many ways he has gotten better with some things in aging, in other's he has not.

When he was born, he couldn't stand more than a few people around him at any given time, he would cry loudly, and ball up his fist and and just shake. He actually likes people now and being in a crowd doesn't seem to faze him in the least. He does seem to zone in on one or two people and strike up conversations with them. So crowds or lines at WDW is ok.

But he hates loud noises. Fireworks all his life are a no go (unless he can sit in the car and view them-but will still cover his ears). Forget local parades with firetrucks and such. If the dogs bark more than twice, he gets on their case. He loves to make them do their tricks and speak, but once or twice is the limit.

He is so-so on dark rides. Haunted Mansion no, Space Mountian yes. LOVES Spaceship Earth. So unless he's just not admitting he's scared of the ghost theme of HM, I don't get it. Hates Pirates, but I think that is due to the cannons.

Use to love Splash Mountain at 6, at 8 refused to go on it. Hates the 3-D shows, but said he would go on Bug's Life for us, but no glasses. He made this offer nothing was asked of him.

I read on another post about picky eaters. He can be...pizza, hamburgers and hot dogs. Will eat some pasta dishes but not others. We have been able to expand on some of these likes (it's hit or miss). We can do sloppy joe's (maybe the concept-still hamburger meat and buns). He's also found a love all of a sudden of Hamburger Helper.

Yes, we normally have to cut tags out of shirts, but his 3 newest I just bought, he hasn't asked.

Noises are my biggest issue going to WDW. Any good ear plugs that may work well for him? He is willing to try a few things he said with earplugs, he just hasn't told me what yet. He said he wants to sit down at disney world dot com and see what he might like to try before we go and what he refuses to ride. I told him that was fine. His older brother 22 and DS best friend is going so kid swap will be easy or splitting up the day between them and me, so we will all get to do things, but can plan better around the parks.

So any good suggestions on earplugs? Maybe help him get more into the Disney spirit? He is REALLY interested in the ear plug idea!!

He loves going, and is looking forward to our trip.

Thanks!!

Thanks for the suggestions. I have talked to my son about them. He doesn't like the idea of a stroller. He says, "strollers are for babies." I might take one just in case he changes his mind. We both like the idea of earplugs. Another idea that I came up with is Pal Mickey to get him excited. I thought maybe Pal Mickey would keep his mind occupied in line.

Maybe we will check out the "pal" too. Of course, he hates to carry anything, so I would get the job of being his main pal...lol.

He has even agreed to a fanny pack this year, because, he was responsible for brief moments of carrying the back pack too last trip. We both hated carrying it.

I have heard some say bringing a gameboy for them to play in lines, but I am not sure on this route. He doesn't play it like he use to, so not sure if that will just be a waste of time on our part or not.

Looking forward to other suggestions and such.

He is actually looking forward to finding some characters this year, we have been watching a Disney movie every two weeks so he could learn more about the rides and who he may meet. Last year he met a few, but only if they weren't crowed. I think the crowds and over sized characters were too much for him at one time.

My son is 10, he's verbal high functioning Autistic. He's had a problem in the past with over stimulation, but 3 years in a row at Disney went well. The last year (04) we went over spring break to reduce the school loss, big mistake! He did well, but mid day started feeling sick, we were close to a first aid station and he ended up throwing up (kinda common with him), at that point I ran and got him a stroller and he enjoyed a few more hours before we went to a offsite hotel. We swam a few hours and ended up going back and he was ok, but the crouds on mainstreet.... I actually was kinda fearful for a few minutes, but he did ok and we ended up enjoying ourselves. Anyway, after that I decided to go for several days from now on in case he has a off day or whatnot. My son is DEATHLY afrain of animals (except baby bunnies of course) but deals well with Disney. I was wondering if you guys are simply having an over stimulation problem, anyway, hope you still continue to enjoy yourselves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter