WDW with MS

janskin

Disney on the Brain
I am a 38 yr old mother diagnosed with MS two years ago. We are planning a trip with my 14 and 10 year olds this October.
I have my good days and my bad days. Heat is a no no. I tire easily and am constantly dizzy. Not to mention I stumble constantly. My girls can't wait for the trip. I am getting a little nervous. I don't want to ruin the trip for them but I know my limits.

I have read about a GAC. I am hesitant because I already hear that I "look normal". I can't imagine what it would be like there.

We are already contemplating renting a wheel chair. What are your views on the GAC for my situation?

Thanks,
Jan

strictly based on what you've said, it doesn't seem like you'll need one. what you'll probably find useful is to rent an ecv (preferably from an off-site vendor so you'll have it to use even outside the parks). these electric scooters will prevent you from tiring--they're great!

just a thought but if you're like me, stress can make MS symptoms worse. so plan to take it slow and remember that WDW is not going anywhere anytime soon--no need to worry about fitting it all in. stop and smell the roses, so to speak. at WDW they're probably shaped like a hidden mickey....

dj

oh yeah--if you're on meds and are staying at a wdw resort, remember to ask disney for a free fridge for your meds. they have free sharps containers for you to use, too.

I have MS too.

My suggestions are to keep cool by having a neck wrap, a misting fan and to also enjoy a lot of the inside shows or attractions, they have airconditioning. Sometimes we go back to the room for a dip in the pool or just to take a short nap. This depends on the time of the year and how late the park is open.

Just take it slow and enjoy. I have rented the wheelchair while in the park.

We leave tomorrow for WDW and we are taking my FIL with us. He is 56 and diagnosed with MS three years ago. He fell last week and broke his left wrist and is in a cast up past his elbow.

We rented him an ECV from Care Medical. This way no one has to push him all day. He uses a scooter at home so he is comfortable with it.

My recommendation ---- rent a scooter offsite and have fun.

Stacey

I have rented an ECV from an off-site vendor , Walker Medical, the last 7 trips. My MS has been in various stages from just mildly annoying to an out right flare. I have found to keep cool and hydrated helps alot. The ECV gives me the freedom to tell my family to go on rides that I wouldn't do and that I'm fine riding around just looking at all the wonderful sights or shopping. or getting the fast passes at the next attraction!
The indoor shows are a great way to get refreshed.
My opinion on the wheelchair is that it is tiring if your are not use to propelling yourself and tiring for the pusher.
Please ask more questions, folks here are eager to help.

I am one of my DD's wheelchair pushers and can tell you that it can be hard work to push.
I agree with everyone else about the ecvs. It would make your trip much more enjoyable and you would not have to worry about how tired you are getting or whether you will stumble. The GAC (Guest Assistance Card) may help you in lines, like possibly letting you wait somewhere out of the sun. But, most of the lines are shaded and a GAC would not help you avoid walking around from place to place between attractions in the parks. That's where the majority of your walking takes place.
Here's a list of the off-site rental places that DIS posters report using:
Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/
Phone (407) 856-2273 • Toll Free U.S and Canada (800) 741-2282

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html
(800)747-0246

http://www.scootaround.com/ Not much feedback. Several people who reported they had no problems.

Randy's requires that someone be there for delivery and pick up. The rest will deliver to Bell Services and leave it for you.

I've had MS symptoms since 1967 and a Dx since 1975. I think my family and I have been to WDW twenty times or so since then. I've been using a scooter for the last seven years and turned 60 last month.

I would definitely take a cooling tie and get a cooling vest, too, if you can. I've only used the ties.

I would recommend renting a scooter, off-site, because that can only help make your trip more enjoyable. We've taken mine the last 5 or so trips. We even took my old one for my wife to use (she has some problems, too). A problem I see with a WC is that people steal them! With a scooter you at least have a key you can take with you on a ride!

If you're staying on property, take advantage of the fact that you can easily go back and take a nap after lunch.

Have a great time!

Stanlee (MGH name if you use that MS Board, StanC1 if you use Delphi)

I too have ms. I agree with all of the other posters. I use a steel vest and other cooling things. With a dx you can get them free from the multiple sclerosis association. There a great help and keep you from tiring too quick. They have an application on thir website. Just look up MSAA on a search engine.

I have found that I rarely get sick at WDW. As a matter of fact, if I lived in Cindy's castle, I would be perfect.:p I think it's the endorphins or something. You won't need a GAC, just don't be to proud to use a ECV. Conserve your energy, stay out of the sun, keep cool and you will be fine. Have a wonderful time!:teeth:

I have CP, but have been checked twice in the past couple of years for MS as well. Lots of symptoms, no diagnosis. I understand the fatigue, dizziness, sensativity to heat, etc. even though I haven't been diagnosed. Given all of this, we have rented a scooter from scootsaround for our Disneyland trip. I wouldn't attempt this any other way. I can't imagine having dh push me in a manual wheelchair all day - his poor back!

Make the trip easier on yourself - do an off-site rental and guarantee that you will have what you need. I have my reservations about going too.... but I'm doing everything I can to make it easier for everyone. Oh, if you're flying, check into "meet and assist with a wheelchair" at the airport. We've got that arranged, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter