WDW with older people (ideas and what to avoid)

You can always ask a cast member at the ride entrance for details about the ride. I'm a plus size girl so I often do when I am looking to try out a new ride. I'm not the biggest fan of super thrill rides either. I waited in line once for rockin roller coaster and bailed at the very end as soon as I saw the coaster take off. My thoughts on your list are:

* Big Thunder Mountain - very loud and not the smoothest ride either, but comfortable seats and restraints. easy to get on and off. not too scary. I laugh through the whole thing. Several drops but nothing too bad. This ride is like 3 coasters in one. You take off and get to the first chain, go up a bit, drop a bit and curve around, get to the second chain, and repeat and then repeat a 3rd time. It has some pretty cool scenery along the ride as well so they may get a hoot out of it. The end though had a very hard stop which I wasn't prepared for and made me and everyone else on the ride basically get whiplashed forward. As long as you are aware of it and don't stop bracing yourself until the lap bar releases, you will be fine. I suggest having a fast past for this one as the line can be super hot and is up hill for more than half of it. (The queue goes up and up and up and then back down to the trains. No idea why.)

* Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - very fast but smooth and not scary. seats are super tiny though as it was designed for kids, so people with really long legs may have an issue. my boyfriend is 6 ft and fits just fine. This has a lap bar that is U shaped and designed to brace the sides and tops of your legs since each car swings back and forth (freely so you don't really feel it). The opening is 13.5 inches so, again with me being bigger, I have to tuck one leg underneath and have my other leg in the restraint. it's not very comfortable that way, but it works and I still enjoy the ride a lot. If your parents are normal sized people, I think they will do fine on this one. I do suggest having a fast past for this one though as the waits can be 1-2 hours.

* Test Track - fun but rough. we definitely were thrown around a bit. it's like you are in a high speed car chase. we only did this ride once and that was a few years ago so I don't remember much about the queue or the seats themselves.

* Soarin' (my mom might get scared of the height factor here) - BEAUTIFUL! make sure to get the center section (B). If you wont be in B, ask to wait the extra 3 minutes to ensure that you are in that section on the next ride. Very very smooth ride. Very relaxing. You are sitting on a seat with a lap belt (think half seat belt). There are metal bars between each of the seats that you can hold on to for support as well, but it never tips forward enough to make you feel unsafe. The screen is big enough that I never really noticed how high up we were either. Give this one a shot! The queue is very long and has slight inclines and declines in it. Think super super long wheelchair ramps.

* Star Tours - also rode this one once a few years ago. I do remember it being very rough as well but a really neat experience. you are in a seat with a lap belt (again, half seat belt), and nothing to really hold on to. There are a few rows of several seats right beside each other. The stranger who I sat next to was not very happy about how many times I ended up leaning on him simply because there wasn't anything for me to brace myself against. I do plan to ride this one again, but I will make sure to have an end seat and put my boyfriend between me and the other people.

* Dinosaur - didn't ride this one but heard it was very rough. you may want to avoid it if any of you have any back issues.

Some other things that you could do while you are there is the Aloha Dinner Show. It is at the Polynesian and is an all you care to enjoy Hawaiian feast that features traditional hula dancing from all the different islands and a fire dance at the end. That same night (no matter what show time you go to) you can stand on the beach at the Poly and watch the fireworks go off at MK.

I would also suggest doing some of the "slower" rides, including Hall of Presidents. There will be a lot of Presidents there that are a part of their past. I think it would be really neat to watch an older person go there and experience that show and then hear what they have to say about it. Slower rides include Haunted Mansion, County Bears, Pirates (has a small drop but not rough or scary at all), Enchanted Tiki Room (Love this one!), Under the Sea, Peter Pan, Laugh Floor, Buzz Lightyear, and People Mover. I wouldn't suggest doing the Philhar Magic because while it is fun and interesting, the 3D was off SOO bad a few weeks ago that it hurt my eyes. I also would avoid enchanting tales with Bell unless you have small kids with you.

Last edited:
Not quite 60 myself, but glad for this post. I have enough arthritis in my neck to worry about the posted warning signs on rides. Not planning on riding EE or RnR for sure (not because of my neck, but because I'm a big chicken) and thinking Dinosaur would not be the wisest choice, either. I did therapy and asked about Disney, was told to stretch my neck prior to rides and not go on anything too wild. Just listened to a podcast about injuries/illnesses at WDW, and most of the incidents are with older people or those with pre-existing conditions. Getting older means being more cautious, I guess. There are still plenty of things to do!

Hey... who are you calling old?? <very big grin>

DW and I are in our late 60's and have been visiting WDW for over 20 years. Some rides we enjoy and others we avoid. As others have noted, it depends on state of health and interest. We both love Soarin'. I have a bit of acrophobia and Soarin' never bothered me. Neither of us enjoy roller coasters. I love Star Tours, DW thinks it is too jerky. I think Dinosaur is too jerky. Depending on the driver, the Safari can be a bit jerky but we have learned where the rough parts are and prepare for it.

Even with our "limitations" there is so much to do at WDW. Plenty of shows, movies, and "slow rides" to experience. And if they are "foodies" then Food and Wine and Disney Springs will be a hit.

As noted by previous posters, make sure your parents are ready for all of the walking. WDW can be tough on feet, knees and hips. I propose you plan on the side of caution, at least to start off, unless they are experienced, multi mile per day walkers. And depending on when you are going in the fall, heat and humidity might also be part of the planning.

I suspect that they are looking forward to their return to WDW!
Wishing you a pixiedust: visit!

My 75 year old mom has pretty severe motion sickness, but she's had that her entire life. But I do remember that back when she was in her 50's and we went to WDW, she rode Big Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain without any issues at all (she was so proud to ride Big Thunder..."I rode a roller coaster!" LOL). She looks at it and Splash and Mine Train now and says "No way, Jose!". She knows her limitations. She gets sick on water slides for goodness sakes.

My dad was always game for any kind of rides, but I think even he's a bit hesitant these days.

And I understand it. I used to ride the coasters up at Busch Gardens Williamsburg over and over with no problems. But the last time I went and rode, it bothered me a little more. And the simulation rides like Star Tours in DHS have always made me feel a little sick. Forget the "spin and pukes" (teacups). No can do. And when I was a kid I could ride any and all of it with no issues. Things change.

I will say this. My mom's ability to walk around the parks day and night is impressive. One morning on our last trip I was kind of feeling her out to see if she wanted to relax at the resort or go to a park. My dad needed to hang back and rest up for the evening plans. She was having none of it. She wanted to go to Animal Kingdom! I was worn out and had blisters by the time we were done there, and she was looking at me like I was pathetic, LOL!

I think it is all about the people you are taking. My grandmothers last trip with me she was 85 and none of these that existed were for her as she had some motion issues from a minor stroke. However, my dad and I went when he was 70 and he rode all of these (that existed) as he didn't have an issue. Seems you know the rides - describe and be honest they will know their limits. If they say no - respect it. I'm only 41 and have issues with my back so I choose not to do Dinosaur, so on my next trip I will either shop, wander or people watch while the rest of my party rides. That is the nice thing with all grown ups - you know your limits and can compromise without compromising anyone else's trip.

Food and wine is always a good time and if they like shows and entertainment - there is plenty! Take time and enjoy the "streetmosphere" it is one of my favorite parts of the park.

My mom rode SDMT when she was 75 for the first time and LOVED it. I would ask them what the would be interested in and what the would not.
The first time I rode SDMT I was 68. Had no issues and didn't find it all that stressful at all. Actually the ride didn't last long enough to even think about any of it. Someone mentioned that the seats are small and designed for kids. They are smaller, but, I was 260 pounds when I rode it and even though it was tight, it wasn't uncomfortable for me. That said, my legs aren't very long and from what I understand, tall people have more problems then big people.

It totally depends - on lots of things. Heat was already mentioned, and regardless of age, breaks are nice especially if you are staying on site. My mom is 77 and rides almost everything. Neither of us like Dinosaur because of back issues, my mom doesn't like BTM for this reason. We try to build in a TS reservation near a high-impact 'thrill' ride (BTM, Space Mt, EE, Dino) so we can all sit and laugh about the fun we just had - and maybe have a break from the crowds.

You should probably talk it over with your group and make a must do, might do, and hmmm list.

The fact is that everybody starts having changes in the cerebellum as they age. It starts to be noticeable at about 35-40. Suddenly swinging in a park swing will make you nauseous when it never did before. The cure for that is bonine (non-drowsy dramamine). It is a very inexpensive over-the-counter drug. On Amazon the generic is like 6 bucks for 100 pills (100 days worth). So that part of the problem is very easy to fix. So everybody who listed motion sickness problems (Harry Potter esp), that's really easy to avoid.

As far as the rides OP listed, I can't imagine why Soarin would trigger fear of heights. I have a fear of heights but Soarin only goes a few feet up in the air and it's a virtual ride.

I am giving Space Mtn. one more time on next trip. Last Nov, it was getting jerky for me. I'm 68 1/2. Rest of rides I have no problem, except ToT, don't like the feeling of falling.

Its the walking that is wearing me down, so I go slower. But I do like to skip down Main Street every once in a while.

DH and I are rapidly closing on the 65 milestone and find our touring style has since our first WDW vacation 25 years ago. I am the thrill ride lover, but my interest in those rides is directly in proportion to the ease of entry/exit of the ride vehicle and the wait time. Under ideal conditions, I will still ride everything EXCEPT IASW <shudder>. I have not dealt well will standing for long periods since being out of my teens, and my tolerance has dwindled to a few minutes. Ok if we keep shuffling forward but standing is out. DH's patience for waiting while I ride has waned accordingly, so he doesn't mind a bit if I forego the lines.

Our need for breaks has increased, which is not a problem for me, as I am happy to soak up the atmosphere and people watch. DH would prefer that all breaks involve a sofa and tv, but a cold drink and a Mickey ice cream bar can make stops more palatable. Bathroom breaks are more frequent, too. I like to visit Every. Single. One. After all, you never know when you will find yourself facing a line at the next one, right????

Sadly, our sendentary lifestyles have taken their toll, as well. Our fault entirely, as we may not be able to control our work environment but we could be making better choices in our leisure times. I was always the one who could walk from rope drop until closing, often looping parks more often than the rest of the group, exchanging stuff in the locker, zipping back for a special snack or souvenir. No more of that, I am afraid. I just can't no walk as long or far or fast as I would like. Acceptance is first, planning next. Being careful not to overdo it on one day means not missing out on the fun on successive days. Whatever the pace someone can keep, a family vacation is not the time or place to try for a new record, unless you are participating in a RunDisney event, of course.

So, like everyone before me, I guess I am saying, let your parents set their own pace and make their own ride choices. If they are blessed with some agility and no motion issues, there really isn't much they need to avoid. And some things (did I mention IASW?) may be just a matter of taste!

I always find these threads very funny. I'm 55 and my DH is 63 and we ride everything, including the intense rides at Universal. Age has nothing to do with it, while personal preference and physical health do. Of the rides you listed, Dinosaur is quite jerky, IMO even more than Star Tours.
Funny that the two rides mentioned are the two I won't go on due to the jerkiness--Dinosaur and Star Tours--but not just due to my age, didn't like them for the same reason when I was younger.

We MIGHT be doing a short Disney trip in the fall, me and my parents. They last went to Disney 20 years ago. DAK wasn't even open yet!

My dad will be 70 and my mom 60 this year. They are in good physical health for their age but I can't imagine them being able to handle intense rides they did about 20 years prior. My mom and I aren't big thrill ride seekers thankfully. We don't intend on doing any massive roller coasters or TOT or anything like that but I would like to inquire about the intensity level for the following attractions.

Which of these attractions would be okay or which ones would not be good?:

* Big Thunder Mountain
* Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
* Test Track
* Soarin' (my mom might get scared of the height factor here)
* Star Tours
* Dinosaur

I think my mom will love Disney Springs and the Food and Wine Festival. If there are also other ideas for things we can do down there, let me know (preferably the affordable stuff).

I think they would like them all! We are in our late 60's and early 70's and we love all the above mentioned rides. There are none that we wouldn't ride, and we are not in good physical health. I don't like Soarin (the height thing) and Mission space, but they are the only rides I avoid. They will let you know when enough is enough. But don't rule anything out until they try it, if they want to. We go a little slower and get rested up mid day, but other than that, we ride all the attractions. Have fun:)

I am 62 and DH is 64. We do all those rides. DH is not thrilled with the roller coaster type rides but he goes on them with me. The only one we agreed was a bit hard to take was rock n roll coaster. It was too jarring for us. But that would have been true when we were younger. Your parents will have a great time. Have fun.

Since the trip is now official, I'm bringing this thread back to life. :flower1: I should also include SDD on that list since it's new.

Again my parents don't have any heart conditions. My mom is a complete health nut and is probably in FAR better shape than I am in my mid 30s. The only rides I'm certain we WONT be doing are:

• Space Mountain
  • Mission Space
  • Rock N Roller Coaster
  • Expedition Everest
I would probably be interested in Flights of Passage but not something I would risk putting my parents on and FPs would be too hard to obtain anyway.

The only rides I'm certain we WONT be doing are:

• Space Mountain
  • Mission Space
  • Rock N Roller Coaster
  • Expedition Everest
I would probably be interested in Flights of Passage but not something I would risk putting my parents on and FPs would be too hard to obtain anyway.

Mission Space? Is that a claustrophobia thing? Otherwise, do green, not orange. No problems there. I am a bit claustrophobic, so I try to go with a group of 3, not 4. That empty space in the "capsule" helps me out.

Try for the FOP fastpasses. It's not a rough ride, but it's amazing! If it gets too intense, all you have to do is close your eyes.

I am not a rollercoaster fan either. Skipped the same ones. I did enjoy BTMRR and 7DMT. Have a great trip!

Does anyone know a good website that list the attractions and gives some detailed info on them? The official WDW page eats up waaay too much bandwidth and I'm looking for something more simple for my dad to look that (but still have pics and all).

I'm 68 and my DH is 69. We love test track , soaring, RnR, all the mountains except Everest. Mission space is a no go too but having said that a lot depends on what kind of week we are having. I can tolerate FOP, while my hubby cannot yet I have vertigo so go figure. You can't prevent motion sickness as it can strike on Soaring at times. My husband doesn't need an EVC most of the time and I require one after the first park commando day so I always get one and we share using it to limit walking. Love to walk but find I often hurt badly unless I pace myself during the day. If your parents aren't walkers I would suggest getting an EVC from outside vendor to have handy. Disney's are too slow and bulky for me. Plan on some down time middle of the day for them to recharge. Everyone is different but getting old is a fact of life but acting old is not. :)

We MIGHT be doing a short Disney trip in the fall, me and my parents. They last went to Disney 20 years ago. DAK wasn't even open yet!

My dad will be 70 and my mom 60 this year. They are in good physical health for their age but I can't imagine them being able to handle intense rides they did about 20 years prior. My mom and I aren't big thrill ride seekers thankfully. We don't intend on doing any massive roller coasters or TOT or anything like that but I would like to inquire about the intensity level for the following attractions.

Which of these attractions would be okay or which ones would not be good?:

* Big Thunder Mountain
* Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
* Test Track
* Soarin' (my mom might get scared of the height factor here)
* Star Tours
* Dinosaur

I think my mom will love Disney Springs and the Food and Wine Festival. If there are also other ideas for things we can do down there, let me know (preferably the affordable stuff).

Hi: Just wanted to express my feelings, being that I am 69 and my husband is 71 y/y:) We go to Disney every year, and lucky to do twice this year:)
As far as the above list of attractions, I would be cautious with Soarin if your mother is scared of heights. I am too, and it makes me very nervous to ride it, and because of that I don't enjoy it. So, I opted to skip it while my husband rides! The bar in the back of the seat on Soarin makes me feel like I am falling for some reason. Anyway, just my opinion.
The other rides would probably be okay. We ride them all without problems. My husband has back issues which are not bothered by the rides.
As far as going to WDW with seniors, I cannot stress the importance of REST enough, usually every afternoon for us. It is needed, at our ages. We also have health reasons to have to rest. We also go more slowly and rest in the parks more often than we used to.
We find we enjoy WDW just as much as when we were younger, but just need to slow down, realize we can't go as fast as we used to, and get that mid-day rest. It's great that you are going with your parents and are asking what you can do to make their visit more comfortable.
I write a column about seniors at Disney. You c an PM me for where to find it if you want to. I have lots of articles just for seniors. Have a great trip!

I am 71 and my ride choices have not changed since my 40"s. I don't like coasters that go upside down and close my eyes on dark rides that go backwards... rode Space Mountain in DL and loved it - won't ride it in WDW because it jerks my neck. So ride what is fun and done ride what is not. I work out 3 times a week at home - and rent a scooter at Disney World - and I would have when I was 50 because I love not getting tired from all the walking and love my feet not hurting. There are all kinds of arguments on these boards about using scooters when you don't need them but imo if not using a scooter means you can't stay all day and night then you need one. So I use one. Keep that in mind with your parents. They may be able to walk but can they walk 7 miles a day every day for 5 days? I recommend a scooter. Maybe they can share it and take turns riding.

In terms of fun things to do, the elephant tour Caring for Giants was absolutely wonderful I took my scooter and went with my 11 year DGD and we both loved it. Riding those little speed boats is also a blast and not expensive. Try the dessert party and get a good view of the fireworks. Also don't forget massages and pool time. Sooo nice to relax around the pool and have good looking youngsters bring you drinks. Please do not try to do everything - take it slow and enjoy the magic. Seek out the walking vine in AK. Enjoy the queues. Spend an hour walking around Pandora at night - no scooter there it will blind you! Watch the shows in MK. Also please do a character meal or two. The one in Norway is really lovely as is the one at Crystal Palace. Have breakfast at Boma and check out the giraffes. Go to the Boardwalk on a weekend night and enjoy the kids spellbound by the magicians.

Oh and btw - the rides you listed? I love them all! Especially Dinasaur!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter