We only live 8 hours away now, that means we can go once a month, right?! -- 7/19 Homecomin'

I could take Justin to a petting zoo and he'd have a blast.
Aw, that's cute!

We saw this guy from Tarzan, I think his name is Cheeta!?
For some reason I think not, but I can't think of any other name right now lol. We've met him before in MK at Halloween parties.

I ordered a pomegranate lemonade. I love this lemonade, although some places have it and some don't, it seems.
I love the pomegranate lemonade too, but on our last couple trips it seems to be at fewer and fewer places.

I'm laughing to myself because I copied and pasted this from the Disney website and it says "Chuntey".
:laughing: Maybe someone from Disney's IT Dept. wrote that up??

What I do know is I love the cucumber raita
Me too!

We waited a whopping 47 MINUTES for a bus to MK afterwards.
What :scared1: We're staying there next month and that best not happen. We also stayed there last year and had great bus service, so thinking (and hoping) it was just nasty fluke..................

a few hours before our very first DisMeet, or as my husband originally thought, Ashley gets catfished by her internet friends. Spoiler alert, my friends were real just like I told him they would be.:banana:
:rotfl2: Exactly what Steve thought before my first DisMeet! The boys actually thought I was going to be murdered and still think that whenever I tell them I'm meeting someone down there I've met through the Dis.

Nice! We did not get one of these when I was there with KJ but I'll try to control my jealousy. You're brave putting your Ohana name on the interwebs! Don't you know you could get catfished by internet strangers?!

Lol, I totally realized that after the fact! Hopefully no Catfishes read these.

:rotfl: It's Terk. But Tarzan's original sidekick from the old movies was Cheeta! We can blame the Great Movie Ride for leading you astray.

The great movie ride, google, they're one in the same! I really am kicking myself because I KNEW someone was named Terk, just didn't know it was him :rotfl:

Or so you think... we're still fake... MUAHAHA. Can't wait to read about your awesome service from David!!!

LOL, Melinda... if that's your real name :banana:

I can't get over that giant piece of asparagus sticking out of the roll. That burger looks like a delicious heart attack on a plate!

Hahah, it was so odd, I was surprised that there was like maybe 1.5 shrimp total throughout the whole thing! The burger was definitely not something you should get if you are trying to watch your cholesterol!

Don't you just love paying $14 for $2 worth of alcohol. They look good though.

I know, right!! :faint: I was so disappointed. That aside, their flavor was decent.

Pulled pork, plastic cheese and fries=perfection! That's really a good deal though. You could easily make those a meal.

Absolutely! Especially when it's hot and you don't want a ton of food.

For some reason I think not, but I can't think of any other name right now lol. We've met him before in MK at Halloween parties.

It's Terk! Google definitely lead me astray on that one :faint:

I love the pomegranate lemonade too, but on our last couple trips it seems to be at fewer and fewer places.

Bummer! I love it, it's something light and refreshing after drinking so much moscato.. er.. water

:laughing: Maybe someone from Disney's IT Dept. wrote that up??

I'm guessing that's the case, although there were 2 "chunteys" amongst the bunch and only one was misspelled :confused3

What :scared1: We're staying there next month and that best not happen. We also stayed there last year and had great bus service, so thinking (and hoping) it was just nasty fluke..................

We stayed there about a year and a half ago, only for 3 nights but we definitely didn't have this issue! I think it was totally a nasty fluke. They had the wait time up on the tv screen and for the first 10-15 minutes we stood there, there was no wait time.. so I think maybe it was a fluke, or the bus picks up at Jambo first and kept filling up!?

:rotfl2: Exactly what Steve thought before my first DisMeet! The boys actually thought I was going to be murdered and still think that whenever I tell them I'm meeting someone down there I've met through the Dis.

Hahaha, I am so glad that I FINALLY got Justin to get on board, he is cautious as all get out but I guess it only takes one Catfish, lol!

DeeDee WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN GURL!? I've missed you round these parts!!!!

I am so glad you have another trip planned!!! Yay!!! Where are you planning to stay??

I have no idea how I got that wrong, LOL.. I googled it and everything. :rotfl2:
When I got back from my second 2016 Disney trip I was all Disneyed out. It was such an awesome trip I don't think I could ever top it!
Well, now I'm all out of money and all out of vacation days so I'm thinking October 2018... By then I'll manage to save up enough for a comfortable stay. Thinking of splitting between AKL (savannah view of course) and maybe one of the mods like POFQ. Or maybe split 3 ways and stay at the BC or YC! (sooooo many choices!)

Anyway, 1.5 years seems way too long now that I've gone back to reading your amazing report! :sad2:

I love your short hair, by the way! You look so pretty!!

I just found my way to your report. I came over from another DR, I think and saw you did the princess weekend and I was hooked - read the whole DR! Great reviews. Two friends and myself are running the PHM in 2018 so I'm trying to read up on everyone's experiences while I can!

I'm a fellow Charlottean :) It's so nice to live so close!

I just found my way to your report. I came over from another DR, I think and saw you did the princess weekend and I was hooked - read the whole DR! Great reviews. Two friends and myself are running the PHM in 2018 so I'm trying to read up on everyone's experiences while I can!

I'm a fellow Charlottean :) It's so nice to live so close!

Hey there!! Thanks for reading :) We signed up for PHM next year, too! I love living close to Florida now. We actually just moved to Fort Mill. Where are you in CLT?

Whoa, you guys! I have been so.. negligent :crazy2: Between moving into our new house (YAY!) along with final inspections and actually moving.. a huge assignment for my actuarial credentials.. a cousin's wedding (and shower, bachelorette, etc), I have been a busy bee. Can't wait to catch up on everyone else's TRs and I swear I'll update mine eventually, ha! :lovestruc

Whoa, you guys! I have been so.. negligent :crazy2: Between moving into our new house (YAY!) along with final inspections and actually moving.. a huge assignment for my actuarial credentials.. a cousin's wedding (and shower, bachelorette, etc), I have been a busy bee. Can't wait to catch up on everyone else's TRs and I swear I'll update mine eventually, ha! :lovestruc

You're excused because I saw all that on FB lol! Congrats on the house :goodvibes I'll be looking for your next update!

Hey there!! Thanks for reading :) We signed up for PHM next year, too! I love living close to Florida now. We actually just moved to Fort Mill. Where are you in CLT?

We found and bought a house last year, just outside Charlotte, in Cramerton. It's in Gaston County. We love it! It's quiet, good schools. :)

MONORAIL BAR CRAWL

Hey friends! I have a lot of these written up but I can't quite figure out Photobucket. I've uploaded them but had to figure out a workaround to post the links. Blech.

That evening, we were planning on doing a booze crawl along the monorail. For whatever reason we hadn't made dinner plans that night - actually I think we were considering Trails End - so a few months before, I looked at reservations to see what was available. Lo and behold, a Highway in the Sky! The whole affair sounded amazing and.. EXPENSIVE. After much consideration we decided to skip it for a few reasons. Justin doesn't eat seafood, so there were a few things he wouldn't eat (including half of the main course), though I don't doubt that Disney would fix it by giving him double of whatever else. It was expensive, and we weren't willing to shell out the $165ish per person. So I booked it in a moment of weakness, and then we cancelled it. I'd love to try it someday, but we decided to do a monorail crawl in its place. That way, we could get what we wanted and try a few different things.

As a bonus, @pepperandchips and @Dis_Yoda (along with their travel partners) joined us that evening!! I know, I know, they wrote their reports in a timely manner. I am literally 3 months behind hahaha.

Justin and I started off at The Wave Lounge, a place we'd been to once before when dining at Cali Grill. We had a great conversation with the bartender last time, and it was a good experience, so we stopped in again.

I started off with a lot of indecisiveness, and eventually landed on the Kona Brewing Company Big Wave Golden Ale. It was a little heavier than I usually like, but they didn't have much on tap and for some reason I wanted a draft beer that evening.

I was intrigued by it after having it once or twice in Hawaii. While in Hawaii, I had a Maui Brewing Company Bikini Blonde Ale, which was by far my favorite of all the Hawaiian brews I had. I can't seem to find it on the east coast, though!

33791664101_6dcfb8cafb_o_zpsw7slef6q.jpg

Justin went with a Kentucky Mule- a twist on a usual Moscow Mule, using Bourbon instead of Vodka:

33879851966_223860fdf9_o_zpsarycpijq.jpg

Both of our drinks were good, nothing special. Unfortunately the service here was really off tonight. Two bartenders that were bickering with the wait staff! The wait staff came up with their drink orders for their tables and one of the bartenders berated a particular server for not specifying something about one of the drinks. Our drinks took about 10 minutes to come even though the bartenders weren't too busy. It was just an odd atmosphere.

We also asked about appetizers, since in January, they had a specific lounge menu with things like shrimp tacos, sandwiches, pretzels and beer cheese, etc. We were told that there was no Lounge menu but we could order off of the regular restaurant menu, or a "late night" burger/fries menu. We were kind of baffled considering we'd seen the menu two months prior, and people near us had ordered the food. We decided to skip food at this stop and move on to our next stop... Trader Sams!

With a 45+ minute wait inside, we ended up on the patio, where started off with two Hippopotamaitais.

33880565896_361fbf56d8_o_zps9kztemai.jpg

Hippopotamai-tai: Coruba Dark Rum, Bacardi Superior Rum, Bols Orange Curacao, Orgeat (almond), organic agave nectar, and fresh lime juice.

These were great, albeit STRONG for my liking. You can definitely taste the alcohol but they were delicious and slightly sweet at the same time. For $11, I think the price is right and it packs a punch. Side note- why is it that some mixed drinks at places in WDW are like $16!? Heck to the no. I think my limit is right around $12 for one drink. I may be cheap but.... if I'm paying $15 per drink, I can get 3 for the price of 2. I'm all about a good bargain.

Little did we know @Dis_Yoda and her friend were out on the patio as well, so we joined forces with them! @pepperandchips and R survived their Uber ride and lived to tell the tale, so they joined us too. And so it began, the saga of David.

Justin and I ordered some appetizers:

33791847221_ab42cb4b5c_o_zpsdmfuszkx.jpg

His pick, the potstickers, and my pick, the chicken lettuce wraps.

Pan-Fried Dumplings - with soy-sesame dipping sauce $8.49

Chicken Lettuce Cups - with Hoisin ginger sauce $10.99

The dumplings here were just fine, but nothing special. Nothing like the ones at Ohana ;) I think Justin liked them, but we've been getting the ones from Trader Joe's (anyone else do Trader Joe's Chinese takeout? Yum) and those are just as good.

I really liked the chicken wraps. The pickled veggies in the center of the plate were actually the star for me. Between the onions, the pickles, and a bit of carrot, it added a ton of flavor to the already flavorful chicken. I would absolutely go back and order these again.

Unfortunately, the service stopped there. I swear. We waited around for probably an hour just chatting and waiting for drinks and food. It was comical and we joked that David forgot about us but... he literally did. @Dis_Yoda's friend never received her food and I think the rest of us had to remind David of our orders no less than 45 times. He kept commenting that "So sorry, we're just slammed" and we all just looked around... crickets.... because it was not that busy.

Justin wanted to try the Uh-Oa. He had gone up to the bar before David came over to our table when we'd first arrived, but they wouldn't serve it to him since I wasn't up there at the bar with him and it serves 2 or more. Eventually we got our Uh-Oa and we got to experience some special effects!

33536105720_e49b6be93d_o_zpskxwpbdq3.jpg

33077314914_ff5ebf7e6b_o_zpscjjvxtpd.jpg

Uh-Oa! - Myers's Original Dark Ru, Bacardi Superior Rum, orange, passion fruit, guava, pineapple, and grapefruit juices, Falernum, Cinnamon, and fresh lime juice. Recommended for two or more guests.

This was second to the Mai-tai, in my opinion, but still really fun. Still unclear on what Falernum actually is. The cinnamon gives it a funky taste/texture, but adds to the effects and wasn't too much to spoil the drink itself. I don't recall this being overly liquor-y in flavor, but pretty fruity due to all of the juices.

We decided to move to Mizner's at the Grand Floridian for hopefully some better service and a little more food. Fortunately for us, we had a great server, and it was a much better experience!

I ordered a glass (which turned into 3...) of Riesling. I definitely didn't need 2, let alone 3, so I'm not sure but I guess I just kept telling her to keep 'em coming! I am going to assume I went with the Fess Parker Riesling, which is usually my go-to at Disney when I'm in a Riesling kinda mood.

33108019963_d79fb65cc5_o_zpsiuulj7cc.jpg

See the Pub Mix in the background? Goodness gracious that stuff is good! Yes, you can probably get it in a canister at the grocery store.. but it's still good.

Justin and I were still hungry so we ordered a seasonal flatbread, which had some sausage, maybe some chorizo, some cheese, and tomatoes. I wish I had the description because it was sooooo good. The sausage was nice and crispy, not greasy, and I remember the tomatoes being really juicy.

33792026291_5620c3f2d4_o_zpsj3ramdh9.jpg

We took a group picture before calling it a night:

33108404293_71abc23555_o_zpscoviq8aj.jpg

Cute!

Justin and I took the monorail back to BLT. 3 sheets to the Riesling and I decided I needed some dessert from Contempo Cafe. Unfortunately it was closed and the only options were the pre-bagged stuff, so I thought Cheetos would do.

Unfortunately my husband didn't want to partake in my Mickey ear photo shoot... I can't figure out why?

33108447143_fd9b032dcf_o_zpsogtijt1b.jpg

:rotfl2::sad2:

We called it a VERY late night after that! I really enjoyed meeting up and hanging out with our new DIS friends!

Up next, a very sad Hangover breakfast, and lunch at Beaches and Cream.

I was so about to call you a dining report goddess since I thought this review was from your (spoiler alert!) recent trip. I am so glad you did not shame me by being on top of things since I still have more to write from my last visit too!! Dis catfish solidarity (where's the fistbump emoji?!)

And so it began, the saga of David.
:faint:

That killed me. But in this kinda way: :rotfl:

I had almost (ALMOST but not quite) forgotten about that Uber ride and his obsession with wrestlemania. This had to be one of the best (weirdest?) nights ever at Disney.

Unfortunately, the service stopped there. I swear. We waited around for probably an hour just chatting and waiting for drinks and food
I had also forgotten that you and Mr. Vernie also had food before David fell off his game! I am glad at least 1/3 of us were properly attended that evening. David hasn't put a damper on my enthusiasm, however, since I am dying to get back over to the poly.

I am so glad we got to meet up! I really had a great time and I am glad that you turned out to be real :p

Oh one more thing! As you know, Kim moved :sad1: but she told me that her parents asked for Bryon at mizner's and were told he doesn't work there anymore. Nooooooo! :sad:

I was so about to call you a dining report goddess since I thought this review was from your (spoiler alert!) recent trip. I am so glad you did not shame me by being on top of things since I still have more to write from my last visit too!! Dis catfish solidarity (where's the fistbump emoji?!)

HAHA, Nope!!! I finally figured out how to post pictures again so maybe I'll get around to it eventually.

I had also forgotten that you and Mr. Vernie also had food before David fell off his game! I am glad at least 1/3 of us were properly attended that evening. David hasn't put a damper on my enthusiasm, however, since I am dying to get back over to the poly.

I am so glad we got to meet up! I really had a great time and I am glad that you turned out to be real :p

You're too funny! What a crazy order of events. It was so much fun and thank god everyone turned out to be legit and didn't catfish us. If that happened I don't think Justin would ever let us do a Dismeet again! :rotfl2: I forgot all about the Wrestlemania guy too. Although we ended up Ubering once last weekend and the whole time I thought about your round about Uber experience!

Oh one more thing! As you know, Kim moved :sad1: but she told me that her parents asked for Bryon at mizner's and were told he doesn't work there anymore. Nooooooo! :sad:

Noooooooo! Omg. Kim moving is sad but Byron leaving is double sadness. We were actually there last weekend and I had an eye out for him but didn't see him!

Oh David...he just was hopeless!

You are behind ;). Guess you have been busy! I have little life since I can't run or do yoga so I'm on my third report since that trip. I'll shame you two slightly but not really.

It was awesome meeting you! I'm sure we'll run into each other again since you won't be catfished!

Oh David...he just was hopeless!

You are behind ;). Guess you have been busy! I have little life since I can't run or do yoga so I'm on my third report since that trip. I'll shame you two slightly but not really.

It was awesome meeting you! I'm sure we'll run into each other again since you won't be catfished!

I am so behind that it's sad, lol. How is your ankle healing? Any running in your future? My friends that I did the 10k with convinced me to sign up for PHM next year so we'll be doing that. I guess that means I should start running :crazy2: It was awesome meeting you, too!! :)

I am so behind that it's sad, lol. How is your ankle healing? Any running in your future? My friends that I did the 10k with convinced me to sign up for PHM next year so we'll be doing that. I guess that means I should start running :crazy2: It was awesome meeting you, too!! :)

Its healing! I'm in physical therapy now. I should be fine to run the 10K in November and St. Jude's Half in December.

We're there PHM! My husband is doing the challenge and I'm doing the 10K. My husband is going for Alice for PHM! That should be fun.

You don't really need to start running until like October for PHM but some type of start is always good.

CONTEMPO CAFE / FLOWER & GARDEN

I was up at the crack of dawn (you know how you just can't sleep well when you drink?) but we hung around the room for quite a bit before we got moving. Justin wanted to have breakfast at Contempo Cafe, so we walked over the bridge to give it a try before heading off to Epcot that morning.

33077429834_492f69bae2_o_zpsecp7iz43.jpg

I ordered the saddest breakfast ever:

33536681360_ec92fbb379_o_zps7lbmbfix.jpg

Justin had a ham, egg and cheese sandwich that's served on Challah bread. This thing was huge, and pretty good. He really enjoyed it. It was nice and cheesy and the bread was fluffy without being too heavy. I'm not sure if he actually finished it or not, I think we left some behind. A different twist on the usual breakfast sammy.

33108618333_8f14db9367_o_zpsqnuk7fug.jpg

After a Pedialyte packet and some $6 Advil (always have it when you don't need it and need it when you don't have it), we got moving towards Epcot for the day.

We hadn't got to spend much time at Flower and Garden this trip (oops), so we each decided to order one item to tide us over before a late lunch at Beaches and Cream.

Justin's pick was the Chile Relleno de Picadillo, from the Jardin de Fiestas booth in Mexico.

33108426803_7df9fed8a0_o_zpswagcba0g.jpg

Chile Relleno de Picadillo: Battered Poblano Pepper filled with Ground Beef covered with Tomato Sauce and Garnished with Queso Fresco and Toasted Almonds – $6.00, DDP Snack Eligible

A little closer:
33920885065_3105451b25_o_zps41gvwtvg.jpg

This was kind of meh. Justin doesn't really like bell peppers, so I didn't think he'd eat the pepper part, and he didn't. I make picadillo now and then (Skinnytaste has a great crockpot recipe that's really versatile) so we've had something similar, though my version is def not served battered and fried and topped with cheese, sauce, and arugula. So basically mine is seasoned ground beef with some olives and tomatoes in it. Anyways, this was kind of meh. The meat with tomato sauce was basically flavorless and there was nary an almond in sight. Overall not a bad dish, just lacking any real creativity or flavor in our opinion.

We moved on to the La Isla Fresca booth, where Justin urged me to get the Sugar Cane Shrimp Skewer, because YO GIRL LOVES SHRIMP. Definitely in my top 5 favorite foods. And I'll take it any way I can get it, because again, my husband hates seafood, so I usually cook it as a one-off meal or when he's not around for dinner.

I was like "Ew, no, I'm not getting that... sugar sauce on my seafood? Nah." Literally until the minute I ate this delicious delicacy, I was convinced the marinade/sauce on it would be sweet. Because, duh, SUGAR cane shrimp skewer.

It was until I took a shrimp off of the sugar cane skewer that I realized.. oh, the SKEWER is sugar cane.. not the sauce on the shrimp. DUH.

33764696702_b4dfa74256_o_zps3r8tlhft.jpg

Sugar Cane Shrimp Skewer with Steamed Rice and Coconut Lime Sauce – $6.50, DDP Snack Eligible

And once I finally got a shrimp off of the sugar cane skewer and peeled the tail off.. YOWZA! This. Was. Great. I think @ariane37 said that she and Steve tried this and really enjoyed it. I agree. I could have eaten 2 (or 3 or 4) of these as a meal and called it a day. The sauce was delectable, and I am told it went really well over the rice. I wouldn't know because my husband ate all of the rice, but he enjoyed it. It took a lot of convincing for me to even order this because I was convinced it had a sweet sauce and I don't really do sweet meat. This was definitely a winner in my book!

After that, we hung out a bit more before our ADR at Beaches and Cream!

I'm kicking myself for not getting the Sugar Cane Shrimp this year! Glad you loved it! Hangover breakfast looks like what you needed it to be ;).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter