"We shall double our efforts" - July/Sept 2017 Dining Report - Update 9/26 Flying Fish (Complete)

Tables In Wonderland Food & Wine Preview

Around 11:30AM, I checked in for the Tables In Wonderland Food & Wine Festival event. It was hot outside as they had us wait! (I know, July in Florida is always hot, stay hydrated!) As we walked in, they gave us a Frozen Wine Cocktail and a towel to cool down! I liked this cocktail - I can see getting this in September with my mother as it will be hot then too and it was super refreshing!

WfwmJ4F.jpg

Frozen Kim Crawford Wine Cocktail - Sauvignon Blanc

I ran into @pepperandchips and total 4th wheeled it with them! I probably dominated the conversation before the event as I vented about the disaster that was the day before. She said it was ok as at least it was a new story to them!

The tiny tables were set up for groups of 5 but there was an excess amount of tables so we didn’t have a 5th wheel join us so we go to spread out a little more!

lZbT2lN.jpg

Place Setting

YX0mcpa.jpg
E0CWCO6.jpg

Menu

Right next to our table was the booth I wanted to go for first. You can’t go wrong with warm cheddar cheese dip! It isn’t as good as the cheese fondue they had 2 years ago but it was a good substitute! I ate multiple of theses!

pcKmsG0.jpg
D0JYogG.jpg

Warm Irish Cheddar Cheese & Stout Dip w/ Irish Brown Bread

For the cheese booth, they had the cheese trio. My favorite among these was the Profiterole! I have a soft spot for the garlic and fine herbs boursin cheese as it is one of the things I snack on at home. The smoked salmon pinwheel was also tasty. The pepper cheese macaron was just ok.

2udWX51.jpg

Cheese Trio: Profiterole topped with Boursin Garlic & Fine Herbs Cheese and Orange Apricot Jam; Smoked Salmon Pinwheel w/ Boursin Shallot and Chive Cheese and Everything Seasoning; Strawberry Macaron w/ Boursin Pepper Cheese

7hMEpPF.jpg

Liberated Pinot Noir

I know! Shock! I drank something non-alcoholic! While I did enjoy many of the wines I tried, I also knew it was hot outside and to pace myself. The green apple freeze was a nice mix up as it worked well to make sure one was hydrated and when I did have to return to the heat pit that was outside - I would be ok.

TJKw3aw.jpg

RGD: Citrus Apple Freeze (non-alcoholic)

The next dish was the winner of the event. It essentially was potato chip nachos. The blonde ale beer fondue was awesome especially on the warm potatoes! I totally had second and thirds...

Lp7dqSD.jpg
vkoZK71.jpg

Smoked Corned Beef w/ Warm Crispy Potatoes, Pickled Onions, and Blonde Ale Beer Fondue

I remember having this dessert but I apparently forgot a picture of it. I remember it being ok. Despite having cayenne and chili powder it wasn’t as spicy as I was hoping.

Chocolate Picante: Dark Chocolate Mousse w/ Cayenne Pepper, Chili Powder & Raspberry Dust

This beer got mixed reviews at our table. Personally, I love pomegranate flavored items. I also know that schofferhofer beers are not very alcoholic and have a fruity taste. I enjoyed this for being refreshing. I know others weren’t a fan.

IaySoSn.jpg

Schofferhofer Hefeweizen Pomegranate Beer

This was another star dish for me! The curry beef had great flavor and was very tender.

POIgUN3.jpg

Red Hot Spicy Thai Curry Beef w/ Steamed Rice

For another one of the desserts, I tried the Sweet Olive Oil Cake. I really enjoyed this as it wasn’t overly sweet but still fit the mold of feeling like dessert. It wasn’t overly heavy either. Their lemon curd is no match to the one I make at home so I ended up skipping that part of the dish.

QNW4CvI.jpg

Sweet Olive Oil Cake w/ Powdered Sugar and Lemon Curd

The following dessert was also mixed. They called it a soft serve sundae but it totally was one of those banana ice cream dishes you see around the internet as a healthier option of enjoying ice cream. Since it was made from bananas, it had a grainy texture. While I enjoyed it - I could see others not enjoying it because of how funky the texture is. The chocolate oats were a good mix to break it up though.

KuZmFeE.jpg

Banana Almond Soft-Serve Sundae w/ Fresh Berries and Crunchy Chocolate Oats

I didn’t try all the items but I got full. I did try the items that excited me overall so that was worth it for me. I also had about 6 or 7 different wines and overall was happy with those.

I did this event in a much different from back in 2011 where it was truly a preview of everything before the masses got the info.

Here is link to that review: https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...nt-plated-dinner.2751641/page-2#post-41882743
https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...t-7-24-tiw-event-plated-dinner.2751641/page-3

So - if you read through that event and then see what we got this year for more money, you’ll see why I was eh. I liked the intimacy and presentation of that event. This felt like a money grab with the set up. All the information provided had already been posted on the website, except maybe the figment dooney that is coming out. (Why is it a Figment purse when Remy is supposed to be the mascot this year?) I don’t think I’ll do it again.​

Thanks for the review!! Adding a few things to my list: frozen wine cocktail, Irish cheddar dip and "potato chip nachos." Oh my gosh on the latter- that may be my first stop!! I think I saw the corned beef on the original description (yours is way better) and kinda dismissed it but no more!! Looks so good!!

I've attended a couple of versions of this event in the past and have always been conflicted. Hot as heck in the parks but always excited about F&W, loved getting advance info (years past they handed out more detailed marketing material with full schedule of demos and events that hadn't yet been released) and sampling food and wine never a bad thing. But in prior years the "media" has been at same event and I was always conscious that they were comped and I paid $$$.

I am not complaining they released the schedule early this year- by all means that should continue and even get earlier. But maybe they could think about some little enhancements to the preview event for paying guests- a wine glass, t-shirt or something.

Anyway, am still looking forward to F&W!!! Maybe I'll see you there. If I do, a round of potato nachos are on me!!

Sorry the event was a bit of a dud, but at least you got to hang with Melinda :-) Even if there were a few duds, you have me so excited for food and wine!!!

Thanks for the review!! Adding a few things to my list: frozen wine cocktail, Irish cheddar dip and "potato chip nachos." Oh my gosh on the latter- that may be my first stop!! I think I saw the corned beef on the original description (yours is way better) and kinda dismissed it but no more!! Looks so good!!

I've attended a couple of versions of this event in the past and have always been conflicted. Hot as heck in the parks but always excited about F&W, loved getting advance info (years past they handed out more detailed marketing material with full schedule of demos and events that hadn't yet been released) and sampling food and wine never a bad thing. But in prior years the "media" has been at same event and I was always conscious that they were comped and I paid $$$.

I am not complaining they released the schedule early this year- by all means that should continue and even get earlier. But maybe they could think about some little enhancements to the preview event for paying guests- a wine glass, t-shirt or something.

Anyway, am still looking forward to F&W!!! Maybe I'll see you there. If I do, a round of potato nachos are on me!!

The Hot Parks aren't usually much of an issue for me since it isn't much of a difference from Naples anyway.

Those three items are definitely worth it! I kind of dismissed it at first when I saw the menus but once I saw it at the event, I knew it would be way better than I originally thought!

I'm not complaining that they released the info early - we all need that info in order to plan but yeah - there wasn't anything 'special' about it other than F&W samples. They should have provided something cool.

When are you planning on going? I'm there August 31st to Sept 4th and then November 2nd to 6th. Two short trips this year since we are going to Italy in October. That is kinda stealing all our money!

Sorry the event was a bit of a dud, but at least you got to hang with Melinda :-) Even if there were a few duds, you have me so excited for food and wine!!!

Hanging with Melinda was definitely fun! I'm super excited for F&W too! I only have 22 more days until I'm there! At least I know a couple items I'm going to skip and some I'm going to enjoy again and again!

Blaze

Once I had relaxed, I debated on what I wanted to do for the evening. I noticed that there was a movie at 7:20PM I wanted to see, so I decided to go easy for dinner since the TIW was costly and I didn't want to spend too much more for the weekend. Also with it being so hot, it kind of kills my appetite a bit as well. Blaze is one of my favorite new places at Disney Springs so that would be a perfect meal when I didn’t want something heavy. I love this pizza! You can’t go wrong with picking the ingredients you like and having it ready in about 3 minutes! They got rid of the Key Lime Mint Aqua Fresca but the replacement one was also really refreshing as well with the Citrus.

cMIDH8K.jpg

Cheese Pizza w/ Red Onions, Bacon, Garlic

After my pizza, I headed to AMC Movie Theater and got my ticket to see War for the Planet of the Apes. I forgot how it is to see a movie on opening weekend in a major city. I’ve gotten spoiled by Naples crowds! At least they have reserved seats for their theater so I for sure got the seat I wanted, but I really didn't need people screaming at the screen the whole movie.

After the movie, I headed back to the room and went to bed!​

Yum, your pizza looks so good. I don't normally love onions but that combo looks and sounds delicious!

Yum, your pizza looks so good. I don't normally love onions but that combo looks and sounds delicious!

Oh...I love onions. They are easily my favorite vegetable! I just have to hold back on eating excessive amounts of them thanks to things like bad breathe and gas. I totally added to garlic to help that breathe situation. But a couple red onions with bacon, mmm!!!! Not sure if I'll get to Blaze during my September trip but at least I should get back there in November or so.

I'm totally craving pizza at 6:30am...guess I know where I'm heading to lunch today!

Krispy Kreme

I woke up naturally around 6:30AM. I got ready and packed up to head home. At least with only being there for 2 nights - it didn’t take long to get repacked! I also did really well on packing this weekend as I had no clothes that were left clean after getting dressed. I debated on what I wanted for breakfast but I remembered that there is a Krispy Kreme not too far out of the way on my way back home. I picked up half a dozen donuts so that I could have a couple during the drive and have some for later. Donuts with sprinkles are the best, especially when they are light and airy Krispy Kremes!

3hBipDP.jpg

Box of Donuts

Thanks for the TIW preview! I can't wait to be there again this year. Two years in a row is a treat for me!

I've seen Blaze Pizza out here too, that one sounded really good. I love bacon and onions. Sometime, I'm going to have to try it.

Those donuts looked awesome, but I can just feel my blood sugar rising looking at the pictures!

Nothing like some Krispies to drown your Disney going home sorrows in :-) How's the ankle mending? Are you all still planning on doing the wine and dine?

Thanks for the TIW preview! I can't wait to be there again this year. Two years in a row is a treat for me!

I've seen Blaze Pizza out here too, that one sounded really good. I love bacon and onions. Sometime, I'm going to have to try it.

Those donuts looked awesome, but I can just feel my blood sugar rising looking at the pictures!

I'm excited you get to go to F&W two years in a row! Too bad we're missing each other by days.

Those donuts are definitely sugar rushes but I only ate two on the drive home and had the rest over the course of the next couple of days.

Nothing like some Krispies to drown your Disney going home sorrows in :-) How's the ankle mending? Are you all still planning on doing the wine and dine?

Krispies are the best! The closest one from Naples is in Tampa so way too far to travel to get a donut! My ankle is mending. It still has some swelling but its a lot better than it used to be. We are still planning on doing wine & dine. I'm just doing the 10K. My husband is running the challenge.

Crew’s Cup

Shockingly, we were having a great end of month at work and I was able to leave right on time. Increasingly shocking, I ran into ZERO traffic in Sarasota for the first time in forever. I arrived right before 7PM. As my mother had already arrived at the Beach Club on Saturday, she was already settled in the room. We were in the room the farthest away from the elevator on the 3rd floor. My mother was happy about this as it was a ‘quiet’ location. I was starving but we had no ADRs so we went easy and just headed to Crew’s Cup as apparently my mother had made friends with the bartenders anyway during the previous few days.

I started with a bourbon cocktail as I love bourbon and I needed alcohol at this point. It was exactly what I needed as well! The bartender also gave me a taste of the special reserve Disney Bourbon and it was really smooth! Win!

iK36CBJ.jpg

Kentucky Mule

Since Captain’s Grill is being redone - the menu at Crew’s Cup is a lot smaller than it used to be. The two dishes I remember loving weren’t there so I had to figure something else out. As I was hungry, I needed more than just an appetizer to fill me and thus that left me with 2 options. I went with the braised short ribs as I knew it would be hearty. The beef was really tender. It did have a slight coffee/cinnamon taste to it which was different but not unpleasant.

2Yq5gve.jpg

Braised Beef Short Rib - Mashed Potatoes and Feta-Gremolata Reduction

Overall, a decent first meal! Nothing special but efficient.​

Reactions: DLo
Hmmm...not sure I would of liked that meal! Not a fan of cinnamon on my meat. Or 5 spice for that matter! In any case I hope you and yours are all hunkering down and safe with this upcoming storm! I need more updates from you! :stitch:

We looooove Crew's Cup so I already like your style this trip! I forgot to respond on whatever report that was, but yes we were totally copying you at WDW last weekend! Unfortunately no Crew's Cup for us but we were just a short jaunt away over at the Dolphin. I still feel full... haha! No Dis_Yoda sightings but I did see Tom Bricker at Food & Wine. We had a great time and hope you did the same!

Your beef dish looks great - I love that Crew's Cup is offering this as I only ever see "bar food" in there. We shortlisted the Yachtsman for this past trip but ended up at Il Mulino. We'll get there one day!

Hmmm...not sure I would of liked that meal! Not a fan of cinnamon on my meat. Or 5 spice for that matter! In any case I hope you and yours are all hunkering down and safe with this upcoming storm! I need more updates from you! :stitch:

It was different but it turned out ok!

We are hunkering down! We have lots of drinks and non-perishables. Most of our hurricane shutters are up. We'll put up the last one tomorrow - it just makes the house so dark - we want some type of natural light. After today - we won't really leave the house until its over. Getting everything charged up and I'm going to download my Netflix shows onto the iPad and Kindle Fire so I have things to entertain.

uhFX804.jpg

jsPQ5N4.jpg

We looooove Crew's Cup so I already like your style this trip! I forgot to respond on whatever report that was, but yes we were totally copying you at WDW last weekend! Unfortunately no Crew's Cup for us but we were just a short jaunt away over at the Dolphin. I still feel full... haha! No Dis_Yoda sightings but I did see Tom Bricker at Food & Wine. We had a great time and hope you did the same!

Your beef dish looks great - I love that Crew's Cup is offering this as I only ever see "bar food" in there. We shortlisted the Yachtsman for this past trip but ended up at Il Mulino. We'll get there one day!

I was shocked that I ate all the food and gained no weight! I love the Dolphin. If my mother wasn't paying for the Beach Club - I probably wouldn't be staying there with their current rates!

It is mostly bar food there - they have like 2 non bar food options. Il Mulino is so yum! Hopefully you had a great meal there as well!

Beaches & Cream

As we left Crew’s Cup - I wanted something sweet. As Beaches & Cream has a take out counter - I decided that would be a good option. I had forgotten they had alcoholic milkshakes so I was really happy with that news! I selected the S’mores one! That was a great option as it wasn’t too heavy and had great flavors. I love Amarula!

ojlHE47.jpg

S’mores - Chocolate & Vanilla Ice Cream, Amarula Cream Liqueur, Bols Creme de Dark Cacao topped with Marshmallow, Chocolate Sauce and Graham Crackers

Your dinner sounded good and the boozy milkshake is just perfect!

Stay safe in the storm and I hope you come through it with no ill effects!

Your dinner sounded good and the boozy milkshake is just perfect!

Stay safe in the storm and I hope you come through it with no ill effects!

It was good! I think at this point - I'm hoping on only superficial damage. Ready for my husband to get home from work so we can finish prep. I'm doing well with all the other prep. Just finished cleaning all our dirty clothes so I have the washer and dryer to put stuff in. Dishwasher was already ran so now its airing out to make sure its dry before I put important stuff in there.

One good thing is that I'm able to focus on pre-writing this dining report a fair amount until we get to the point of no power.

Food & Wine Festival Booths

We woke up around 7AM and my mother got ready. We headed straight to Frozen and didn’t have to wait long to go on that ride. Afterwards, we went on Living with the Land, Soarin, Mission Space (new green mission) and Spaceship Earth before it was time for booths to be open. We were only going to try a bite or two as we did have a special event that started at noon!

8qXmiEB.jpg

nJxsBZc.jpg

Coastal Eats

The first booth was Coastal Eats. We each got our own. This was really good! The shrimp weren’t overcooked and it had enough garlic to let you know what it was but not too much to give you vampire breath for hours.

xoj6lG7.jpg

Baked Shrimp Scampi Dip w/ Sourdough Baguette

Flavors from Fire

The next stop was for piggy wings! I loved these last year but these weren’t as good as then. The meat was a bit tough but it could have been the morning batch didn't cook long enough to tenderize fully. I wasn’t too upset as I knew I was about to head to the Mexican Tequila Lunch and get lots of tequila and 4 courses of food!

ncrrtzM.jpg

Piggy Wings: Roasted Pork Wings w/ Korean BBQ Sauce & Sesame Seeds

Reactions: DLo
Oh boy! I can't wait to hear about that one! I have it booked for October 26! Although perhaps they will change it up weekly or every month to entice the locals to come in more than once.

That scampi sounds good. I need to start a list of the must try items this year.

Here's to minimal impact and not being to long without power! I'm definitely more of an earthquake kind of gal. These hurricanes sound terrifying. I never would have thought of placing things in the washer, dryer or dishwasher. I suppose these are things you learn living in Florida. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!