Wearing a sundress to the parks - any issues you've come across?

Farro

Argh.
I have quite a few cute, lightweight dresses for the summer that I've purchased for work.
We are going to Disney at the end of October and I figure (unless there is a freak cold spell, god forbid) that it will be warm enough in the day to wear them.

I do not like to wear shorts under my dresses - defeats the purpose of feeling cool. They are all 2-3 inches above my knee, mostly fit/flare types but I can grab them in a big wind! Used to doing that.

Any rides you can foresee being problems with flashing? :o
I am careful when getting in and out of cars, etc. so I'm not worried about that.

Thanks!

If you decide to ride the carousel in MK, I think getting on/off one of the horses could be difficult.

The only other one that might give you a problem will be the new Flight of Passage in AK. You ride astride like a motorcycle.

As far as problems, I have had issues with thighs rubbing together while wearing skirts in the parks. Bodyglide is really great for that though! Most rides have seat belts, so I don't think you'd have any issues with flashing anyone. The only ones I would worry about are splash mountain (no seat belts, just a lap bar) and test track (it can get pretty fast at the end, and the car is open)

I've only worn sundresses to Epcot and MK, so they're the only parks I can speak for my experience. For Epcot I didn't wear shorts underneath since I knew I wouldn't be on any rides that I thought could be problematic. Plus that dress fell right at my knee and was kind of like a sleeveless shirtdress, so it didn't really flow at all in the wind or anything. I had no issues at all there, though I do recommend something for thigh rub. I prefer to just use deodorant for that instead of body glide, but that's just my personal preference. At MK, I did wear really short bicycle shorts under my dress, mostly because it was more flowy and shorter than my Epcot dress, but also because I didn't think I could get seated in Space Mountain without them. Because they were so short, I still stayed cool, but I definitely appreciated the security blanket of knowing I wouldn't flash anybody by accident or embarrass myself.

Well, you included the issues in your post. And those issues are taken care of by wearing compression shorts under. Which I do, as I don't need a breeze to hit that high lol. Still feels lovely and breezy.

Thanks all!

Seems like only issues will be straddling rides. I can tuck my dresses between my thighs on rides like test track, etc. And they aren't short, just a bit above knee (I think 3 inches I said earlier is shorter than they actually are). I said fit/flare, but that may not be accurate description.
I won't wear a dress on Animal Kingdom day - Kali River Rapids, I don't want to walk around in a wet dress.

My thighs don't rub luckily! I walk 7-9 miles a day (work, walking home from train, etc.) and never experience it, even when it's hot.

Obviously if it's a stormy/windy day, I'll wear shorts. Just nice to have the option of a dress if I want. :) Especially for days when it will be more meandering than going on rides.

Well, you included the issues in your post. And those issues are taken care of by wearing compression shorts under. Which I do, as I don't need a breeze to hit that high lol. Still feels lovely and breezy.

Yeah, I just don't like the feel of those! :) I just was trying to remember all the straddle type rides, which everyone helped with.

I also wear biker shorts under mine, as it's what I'm comfortable with, but here's a funny situation that I never expected; the only place I had trouble was on the monorail... yes, the monorail. I don't know what happened but there was a real Marilyn Monroe moment when a gust hit me just right when the doors were open, I was glad for my shorts! lol One other point; I've always ridden sidesaddle with my dresses on the MK carousel and they've always let me, so that's one straddle problem I don't have, just be sure to hang on...

Where do buy compression shorts? I have a sundress that I'm a little uncomfortable in re: length, and all I could find was workout shorts so i bought them and they are too thick.

I always wear shorts under sundresses when I'm doing a lot of walking because of the chafing! They're more like running spandex, though, or like "booty shorts" so they're sort of like heavy-duty underwear. Although, I have heard that putting deodorant where thighs rub helps.

I bought Jockey "skimmies" slip shorts and they are a lifesaver! I have a problem with thigh rub, and these are super lightweight, moisture wicking, and just perfect under a dress. I actually ended up wearing them under regular shorts as well for the moisture wicking and didn't have any issues with the thin material feeling bulky

I only wear dresses (no shorts) and have never had an issue on any ride (although I haven't ridden the carousel in years so that might be an issue as a PP mentioned). Some boats can be tricky since I'm short and that step up can be a big one.

I have seen a few women accidentally expose their unmentionables while boarding rides, walking up inclined queues or steps etc. in the past. It discouraged me from wearing dresses or skirts so I wear golf skorts or the like. The length you describe should help a lot but may not completely keep you from revealing your panties.

I only wear dresses in the parks (and never with any shorts underneath) and I haven't had any issues. It's sometimes a little tricky getting out of Space Mountain but it's definitely not enough to deter me from wearing dresses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter