Week After Christmas

Mqdis43

Earning My Ears
Hi, I am considering taking my 5 year old with disabilities to Disney World the week after Christmas but am worried that the DAS pass will be less useful during that time. We have gone during presidents week and been ok but am wondering how much worse that week would be. He is nonverbal and may can have a difficult time with extended lines, especially if it is throughout the day. For those who have gone during that week, any feedback is appreciated. Thank you!!!

I’ve never been the week between Christmas and New Years but DH has. He said as a solo adult it wasn’t bad but he’d never take a family then, it’s too crowded. And that was years ago; I believe crowds have only increased since.

I have gone the 4 days before New Years about 6 or so years ago. it was pretty crowded as I recall

I've been once during that time - never again! It is really crazy-crowded, and there will be a lot of waiting for the DAS return time.

If you can schedule for the first full week after Jan 1 (so Jan 2 - Jan 9) you will find about the lightest crowd levels possible.

Once the Arts Festival starts at EPCOT (usually mid-January) crowds will begin to increase again, and that leaves the other 2 weeks of the year that tend to be slow: the week starting the Tuesday after Labor Day, and the week starting the Monday after Thanksgiving weekend.

If you can schedule for the first full week after Jan 1 (so Jan 2 - Jan 9) you will find about the lightest crowd levels possible.

Once the Arts Festival starts at EPCOT (usually mid-January) crowds will begin to increase again, and that leaves the other 2 weeks of the year that tend to be slow: the week starting the Tuesday after Labor Day, and the week starting the Monday after Thanksgiving weekend.
Many schools don’t go back until the 8th - or at least late in the previous week. Plus marathon starts that week. There will likely still be decent crowds the week after New Year. It’s Jan 7-Jan 19 (give or take) when the crowds will start to dissipate.

Can’t do the week after new years because I work in education and we have work after New Year’s Day. We are debating between a shorter 4-day trip during the first week of December or a 7-day trip after Christmas.

The first two weeks of December are among the best times of the year to go. Holiday celebrations in full swing, but the crowds haven't arrived yet. The week between Christmas and New Years is hell on earth. Stupidly, insanely, horrifically crowded. You couldn't pay me enough to go that week again.

another vote for the first two weeks of December. It starts to really get busy the week right before Christmas
I've been to WDW the day after Christmas thru the end of the first week of January. It's so busy you can't stick out your arm without hitting someone. Insane waits for attractions, but also dining and bathrooms. The closer you are to Christmas and New Years, the busier it is

We've been the week after Christmas 2 times - I also work in education. I have the same debate about going next year- a shorter 4 day trip or the full week of Christmas.

When we go during Christmas week we find it necessary to be at each park well before opening since that's the least crowded time. I make my DAS advance selections for the late morning and evening if possible. ADRs at sit down restaurants also help immensely. Counter service is very frustrating during that week, lines are ridiculously long. Pack snacks so you aren't stuck waiting in a 30+ minute line for Gaston's cinnamon roll and a bottle of water.

We can usually accomplish many rides in the morning with my DAS and low wait times if we are there before park opening. When crowds start to get crazy around 1 or so, we take a mid-day break at the resort. If we go back to the park afterwards we will only experience 2 or 3 attractions for the rest of the night. We will have a DAS lined up for one of the top attractions before we leave for our afternoon break. We will use that DAS when we return to the park after our break, grab another DAS with a wait time of 2 hours or so and go to dinner with an ADR. By the time dinner is done, our wait time for the DAS is pretty much over so we can experience that attraction. If we're lucky we can maybe get one more minor attraction.

We avoid going to the parks each day during Christmas. Schedule some downtime at Animal Kingdom Lodge to view the animals, make Disney transportation part of the fun, go to other resorts to have a meal and see the Christmas trees and Gingerbread displays, etc.

If you go in with different expectations you can definitely enjoy your time in the parks that week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter