Week of Aug 21 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

Disneefun said:
Lisa, can I ask why they're discouraging going Goofy? It just seems like if you did the 1/2 with them and completed it so you met your obligation, I don't know why anyone would care what you did on Sunday. Maybe you can't say without getting in trouble, but I'm genuinely curious. I thought about doing TNT, way back at the beginning of this quest but decided against it for a variety of reasons. If they're that restrictive, I guess I'm glad I didn't do it.

In general b/c training for ultra-distance is difficult (which is practically what this is at 39.3 miles). I don't know the official reason, but the seasoned veteran was asked explicitly to not talk about it. I have no idea why--I fear getting in trouble and am afraid to ask. It is a new thing--and the whole program design is to get a person from nothing to the finish line in a 4 month season--it is designed for the novice...the ol' "anybody can do this bit".

Now I am very tempted to ask....I think I will!

On the whole--training for a marathon is tough enough--to train for the extra brings extra risk of injury....and the whole point of your donations you receive is that you are committing to doing the event and getting to one finish line--getting to two, I suppose makes it more difficult.

ETA: They aren't that restrictive at all--this is just a new thing and pretty unheard of in marathon-land. Any participant is free to do whatever they want to do in terms of training. They have a national coach in who turn trains the local coaches. The local coaches base how they coach participants on this national training program and their expertise and research. If they tell me not to eat a banana split the night before a long run--it is based on the idea that generally eating a banana split is not a good idea.

Generally for the novice (who most of TNT's participants are)--it isn't a good idea to tackle nearly 40 miles...before starting with a 26 or a 13 first.

I sent an e-mail, I will let you know what I hear.

Well I did my cross training yesterday at the gym & boy are my thighs mad at me!! I did 4 mi on bike, only 4 min. on eliptical(it was way harder than I thought) and 4 flights of stairs in 2 min on stair stepper. I felt great yesterday but today ugh! I sure hope they get better for my walk tomorrow. Good thing today is my off day. Although pushing that cart thru Wal-Mart with a kid & groceries was not pleasant.

Everyone's doing great! Keep it up!

p.s. my husband thinks I've joined some kind of "marathon cult" and he totally doesnt understand why I really need to have one of those Garmin things

Minnie said:
Question Time - Towards the end of that I had major problems with my right upper thigh area. I mean hurting so bad that I had to drop from a jog to a walk because of the pain. Any ideas as to what this could be? I stretched out that area really good after I got done and the pain is now gone but it hurt big time. I also had problems with my siatic (sp) nerve in the early stages, same side but in the well rear :blush: Would this affect it?

Thanks for all the help and support everyone. There is no way that I would have accomplished those 5 miles without knowing that I had to report back here :grouphug:

Is it on the side---anywhere from the joint down the side to your knee. If so, it is your IT Band....Something like iliotibial band or something like that. For some people it just shortens...they sell special straps for that---it can be massaged out with an exercise ball, but the last time I posted about this I was told it was too difficult to figure out.

The sensation is usually a burning sensation .

plutosmyfav said:
Christa-- I see you are currently running longer LRs than your training schedule. I am, too. That's not a problem is it? Your info is very helpful. Thanks.
Sunny - We are doing higher milage for 2 reasons. First, b/c we are doing the Charlotte marathon, this is about yhe milage we should be for that. Second, I feel if I am already running a certain milage, why go back. We tried to at least keep up our fitness from a 1/2 marathon distance so we would not have to start back @ square one. We were going to keep @ marathon distance, but that just did not work out. That would require at least 1 20 miler every month and after we missed about 3 months of doing that we just thought we would reduce the milage to 13 or so and start there.
I don't think this is a problem though as long as one is trained up for it. Anyone else have an opinion on being ahead of LR schedule?
Sunny - I am also going to use an MP3 player. DH used one last year and he is OK. A 1/2, that I ran in March, said we could not use the MP3 players/walkmans. I used it anyway and PRed. It is the 1st race I have ever used one and now I have a good time to give to Disney to place me in a higher correll (sp?).

Lisa Loves Pooh - Oh the IT band! OUCH....Had that on my 20 mile run last year.

Tiffj - My husband thought that too when I trained for WDW 2003. Then he started training. Now he is sucked in too. :cool1: :rotfl2: :banana: :teeth: It is a great thing that we do together. We have the best talks when we run together.

We are all Big :dog:s!
Later all,
Christa:Evil princess: of running - EQ for short :cloud9:

Aggg internet terminal ate my post - so I have one minute to say I'm off to England for a monht so may not pop in. Good luck training for next four weeks everyone and I'll get in when I can. Helen

Ooh here it is...

Hi Guys - just a quickie as I'm standing at an internet terminal in singapore airport. I'm off to England for a month so I may vanish from the boards - and I didn't have a second to post (or even read) last week so I'm seriously behind with the news. So, have fun training 'without me' for the next four weeks, I'm going to try and run in London, the route takes me past the zoo I'll try and pop on if I can, but happy running. Helen

Sunny, you have a fabulous time with your mileage. I can only dream there.

Lisa, I think you should go for it. I think you can do that half then a nice easy full the next day to round it out. You have 7 hours. You won't be sick. You go!
:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

I did 9 miles today. Total time was 2 hr 13 min. Not bad as I did run five miles and then walked/ran the next 4. It was 84% humidity and 70 degrees at 6:00 this morning. Whew! I am happy though that I did have a better time of it today.

Minnie, 5 miles! you are doing great!

Tif, get him to run too. He'll get it then. Otherwise, keep at it. You will love the Garmin once you have it.

gatorphipps said:
Lisa Loves Pooh - Oh the IT band! OUCH....Had that on my 20 mile run last year.

Wasn't me--as we were figuring out what was wrong with my back--I got it a teensy weensy bit--but no--never on a run.

TiffJ said:
p.s. my husband thinks I've joined some kind of "marathon cult" and he totally doesnt understand why I really need to have one of those Garmin things

Pick any and all electronic gadgets he had to have. None are truly "needs". Say you need garmin as much as he needed _______.
:teeth: :teeth:

With as much electronic junk as my hubby owns--he'd never win that argument :rotfl: .

I haven't been posting much because I just don't have much to say. I really wish I was on track to do the half this year but at the rate I am goung it's not going to happen. That makes me really sad because my "inner athlete" really wants to get out there and complete the half this year. Unfortunately, my outer aging, overweight body does not agree with that decision! At this point my times are way too slow to stay ahead of the sweeper. A nineteen minute mile time just doesn't allow me to finish, and that's what I want to do. My training for the next month will consist of moving boxes etc into our new house. Oct will be getting all our stuff organized. We're bad packrats, I've gotten rid of a lot of stuff, but there's still plenty to organize! Nov will be a trip to CT for DH's DD's wedding.

I hope you guys don't mind if I keep hanging around here. I'm setting a goal to do the 2007 WDW half with no excuses. It takes me a long time to get just a little bit better, so if I keep on "training to train" now I should be ready by then. You Big Dogs :dog2: :pug: :dog: :paw: really inspire me and you Little Dogs :dog2: :pug: :dog: :paw: give me the confidence to know that I can do it, too!

Nancy :grouphug: I know you've had a lot of things happen lately. I am so sorry you are not feeling up for the challenge. Please don't drop out just yet! You could still start your training now and acknowledge you may not make it the whole way? Of course we want you around whether you train for '06 or '07. The more the merrier :grouphug:

I'm really happy today. I am not the least bit sore or run down from my 20 miler. This is so important to me because I will not have a day to rest after the marathon. I easily could hit the parks today. (I know there's a big difference between a 20 mile training run and 26.2 mile race). I'm really torn between wanting to make the best time I can and taking it easy so I am not junk for the rest of our vacation.

Good news! I've picked out my post-marathon race! Its going to be a half in downtown Boston on March 11th. I have been thinking I will be in serious trouble if I don't have something else on the horizon after WDW. January-March is always a really rough time for me with the short days, cold weather. I get the blues. To have nothing to look forward to after WDW could be very bad for me.

There's an ad that runs in fitness magazines that features a woman running with the caption "I'm running for my skinny jeans". Well I've decided I run for donuts :confused3 I end up having 2 donuts after my long run every weekend. I just can't help myself! So much for skinny jeans.

Sunny

Lisa loves Pooh said:
Is it on the side---anywhere from the joint down the side to your knee. If so, it is your IT Band....Something like iliotibial band or something like that. For some people it just shortens...they sell special straps for that---it can be massaged out with an exercise ball, but the last time I posted about this I was told it was too difficult to figure out.

The sensation is usually a burning sensation .

Nope its actually on the very front top portion of my thigh and goes in towads the groin area. The pain went away and then yesterday afternoon when I was walking through the mall it came back again. The pain is more like a cramp than anything.

Today is a rest day for me (I hvae rest days scheduled before and after a long run hopefully that is the right thing to do) but I plan to do some stretching as that area is still stiff.

Thanks for the info!

plutosmyfav said:
There's an ad that runs in fitness magazines that features a woman running with the caption "I'm running for my skinny jeans". Well I've decided I run for donuts :confused3 I end up having 2 donuts after my long run every weekend. I just can't help myself! So much for skinny jeans.

:rotfl2: I ran 4 miles this morning in 53:48. The last mile was a stonker, but to keep motivated I just imagined the chocolate donut waiting for me at home! :rotfl: I think I gave up on skinny jeans 4 kids ago. ;) Now I just want a tummy that does not make everyone say "When is your baby due?" Even my kids will come up to me sometimes and ask "Mommy, are you having another baby?" Oh well, just wait until my new Abs DVD shows up from Amazon. Then I'll have abs of steel. :rolleyes:

P.S. The donut was delicious! :goodvibes

plutosmyfav said:
HA! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: I have seen this ad. I too once ran for skinny jeans. Now I just run b/c if I don't I will go crazy. It is my therapy. :sunny: (And for bragging rights! :teeth: ) I love to tell people I "only ran 14 miles today" :rotfl: and then watch their reaction. :earseek:

Sunny - good idea to have a post race. I always try to do our 1/2 marathon in March. It helps me overcome the post marathon blues.

Did 4 miles after church today. Was SO hot (and no shade) that I thought I was not going to make it. :guilty: And I am sure it was uphill both ways. Going to go and take a shower b/c I STINK!

Christa

This must be a donut day because I never get them but today after doing 10.5 miles in 1:58 (a very good time for me!!!) I had a strawberry frosted w/sprinkles from Dunkin Donuts. It was great!

Having some technical difficulties posting the new thread. Got a message on the third try that says it's a duplicate of a thread I just posted, so hope it will be up soon.

I'll keep trying... :confused3

Lisa - I hope you get a good answer soon. That sounds really frustrating.
Minnie - Way to go on the 5!!!
Sunny - 20??? Yikes! Great job.
Nancy - I don't know the full situation, but I hate to see you give up before training officially starts. I do understand your not wanting to train only half-way and then not make it in the race. Good luck in your decision. Whatever you decide, please stick around.
Mel - I've been hearing taht you should try to use a really short title for your thread when it's acting up and tehn edit later. Worth a shot. :confused3 Hope you had a great weekend!
Heather - great job! Last mile got me Saturday too, but then again, the 1st 4 weren't great either.
No Helen for a month. How sad. :guilty:

Sorry for missing so many, but I must get my "not too grumpy for Monday" sleep.

Hi everyone, Delta is having some good airline fares to MCO! I just booked Greensboro, NC to MCO, Marathon weekend for $118, total. We usually drive, but the price was so good and the cost of gas...

Colleen

I'm still here, I'm still training. I just know I will not be ready for 2006 no matter how much I'd like to be. Believe me, the older you get and the more out of shape you let yourself get, the longer it takes you to train to get to where you want to be. My mother told me that would happen when I was in my 20's and in great shape and I just laughed at her. I never imagined I would let myself ever get so out of shape, but here I am. She certainly was right.
Currently I'm doing the monthly exercise challenge at a rate of 2000 min/month. I have only missed goal once in the past year and that was due to travel. I am walking, swimming and biking mostly for those 2000 min with some strength training in there as well. I'm not giving up, I'm just thinking of it as taking a lot longer than some of you to get me to the starting line but I will get there. I really want that feeling like Tammy and Lily have described so well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter