Week of Aug 21 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

Okay, so now I just have to figure out what "good form" is! :teeth: Seriously, though, sometimes I realize that I have no consistency at all. There are times I am stiff backed and walking very upright with my shoulders back. Other times I realize I am hunching over with my shoulders rolled forward. There are times I feel I have unconsciously tightened up all the muscles in my back and abdomen. It is all very random, it seems. I am going to read up on the physiology of walking and jogging and try to learn some stuff. I have become very conscientious (thanks, Craig and others!) about the placement of my feet, heel first and placed as if there is a straight line running between my feet. I notice my feet "fight" my new shoes because the shoes prevent "rolling" and my feet definitely want to do that. So, there is still some resistance to the placement of my foot when I am wearing that shoe and I think when I adapt to that shoe (with a lot of practice, I am sure), I will be creating a more productive stride.

I can't wait to try the stride drills. I know just the place to do it -- there is a straightaway on the long, far side of the fountain walking path. Besides everything else, it is flat and straight and far away from all the benches where "spectators" hang out to watch the fountains. ;) Now I understand what I have seen runners doing on the track at our YMCA too -- there is a big stopwatch on the wall at the end of a straightaway and I realize those runners are definitely working on stride. I really can't wait to try.

Thanks, solo!

Cam - I have found I run or walk best when looking straight ahead. That keeps you from slumping down, which I do when I'm tired. In HS, they always said to look at the shoulders of teh person in front of you. It took me unti lthis year to realize what a diffence looking straight ahead will do ofr you. For me, everythign else just follows in line!

MelanieC - Thansk ofr more inspiration!

solo - Congrats on the Garmin!

I ran on the treadmill today for 40 minutes. I tried run 3 minutes/walk 3 minutes. My time was the same as on Monday when I did run3/walk2. I think I need that extra minute of walking to help me recover from the running, which will allow me to run faster. I don't know. I keep playing with the intervals. Eventually I hope to find a mix that will allow me to do 12 minute miles. Aah, to dream . . . :paw:

:wizard: to all the Floridians facing the incoming storm. Keep safe. :grouphug:

Thanks chimera, you can add me to the list, let me know if you need any additional information.
Lily- your pictures are inspiring
~Kris

Solotraveler- I had a waist pack that had a space for two gels and a waterbottle. It also fit a few other things.

What I learned: I didn't need it. There is water and powerade often enough that I didn't need it. Eating the Goo I brought made my stomach upset, as well as drinking water. What I found is gatorade was better and didn't cause stomach bubbles. I also made the mistake of being nervous and downing two bottle of water prior to the race. This made me have to go to the bathroom 3 times prior to the race and I started the race feeling like I had to go to the bathroom. Around mile 5 I started slowing down, felt sick to my stomach and wasn't sure if I had to throw up or burp. The pressure of my bag and the swelling of my bladder from having to go to the bathroom so bad was horrible. Luckily I needed a good burp from the goo and water in my stomach, and a trip to the bathroom.

During my last race in April I had a half a banana before the race. With a few sips of gatorade. Then during the race I just drank gatorade only (no water). The only time my stomach didn't feel good is after I had bun running non stop for the last 3 miles of the race over a huge hill and I was pushing myself to the finish line after drinking some gatorade. I saw on the clock that I was extremely close to finishing in under 3 hours and I really pushed myself. My stomach felt a little quezy then but I was almost at the finish line. I used a regular fanny pack with my camera in it for this race.

For January, I'm going light. Not sure if I'll carry a camera or not. In January I fell down contemporary hill trying to take a picture as I was running on the sidewalk. My toe hit an uneven sidewalk and down I went. Just something big enough to maybe put my chapstick, and maybe a camera. No waterbottle or goo for me. They have enough stuff on the course including food around mile 10.

On the subject of cameras....I want to take one really badly, but I want a little one. I found myself checking them out at Staples last night. They are very reasonable and very small, but mine is still perfectly good. :( Oh the dilema. So, let's talk mor about this "free" sport! ;)

wtpclc said:
So, let's talk mor about this "free" sport! ;)

Ha, my sentiments exactly. Do I really need a Garmin, well they are pretty neat, what about an IPOD? Well, that would be really motivating!!

What about running attire?? Why do I find myself with 6 jogging bras where none of them fit quite right? Any suggestions? I also find myself looking into running tops, I am very tall and I need something that is quite long, especially when I wear the non-chafing "oh so flattering" shorts (you all know the ones). My search continues for the wicking shirts.

Finally, we have the expenses for race weekend. I already paid one night's deposit for the hotel room, my $100 entry fee. Must start budgeting for all the rest of the expenses for a Disney weekend!

Why?? Because the feeling is so great!! :Pinkbounc I have never felt such extreme emotion before, on one hand I hurt like the dickens during the last 3 miles yet, after the race such a feeling of accomplishment. A wonderful experience I want to do again. So yes, I will compete in this free sport too! :wave:

Colleen

princessmomma said:
Ha, my sentiments exactly. Do I really need a Garmin, well they are pretty neat, what about an IPOD? Well, that would be really motivating!!

What about running attire?? ...

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: Ah, spoken like a truly addicted runner :rotfl:

Yes I'm sure I've spent over a grand this year on this free sport and that doesn't even include the WDW marathon! Heck, the running shoes alone are a small fortune when you rotate them as often as we do!

But how many addictions can you be proud of and boast of your severity? Ya gotta love it ;)

BTW, once I found the "right" jog bra I find myself picking up a new one everytime I'm at Bob's (which is all to often). I have more COOLMAX clothing now than my work wardrobe.

Maybe there's a 12 step program out there for us :rotfl: "hi, my name is Sunny and I'm a runner", "hi, Sunny, welcome" :rotfl2: The only problem is: I don't want to be cured!!!!!

Sunny

solotraveler said:
Did any of you use some kind of belt pack to carry your stuff during the race? I'm thinking gels, a small camera, my room key... those sorts of things.
Solo - The 1st year (2004), I did not need a pack b/c Ron (who you all feel like you know and love :love: ) carried EVERYTHING! Camra, gels (even the 100 or so Bree & I picked up around mile 18 :Pinkbounc ), clothes, powder gatoraid (yes, we mixed it w/ H2O :rolleyes: ), ect... 2005, Ron did not come with us :sad1: so Bree and I carried our own stuff. I was glad I had the extra drink in btwn the drink stops b/c it was HOT, & @ mile 20, I was THIRSTY! I will probably use it agian for the full marathon, maybe not the half. If you are planning on using one, train with one on your long runs. This will get you used to having one with you.

Cannot remember who talked about gaining 10 from oreos, but I UNDERSTAND! I think that I am ready to go back on WW now that I have eaten all the oreos in the house! :cool1: :cool1:

Sunny - Hi - My name is Christa and I am a runner too! :rolleyes: I need to join too. This FREE SPORT is breaking me!

Minnie - I say do 5, but remember, Bree refers to me as the Evil Queen of running.

Hope we do 14 tomorrow. DH will do 12 so that makes me want to slack.
Later,
Christa princess:

On the spur of the moment . . .

Martha and I just registered for the October 9 10K at Disney. The course is sort of the same as the last 6 miles of the marathon. This isn't for fun, no, not at all, it's a scouting trip for January 8. Amazingly enough we were able to get hotel and air for the Columbus Day weekend.

When our only child went off to College 2 years ago precisely we both felt like our world had ended. We held it together through orientation, but fell to pieces when we left the campus. But the ability to get up on a whim and do something fun is pretty darn cool.

I've got my half marathon and marathon wardrobe all planned out, now I need to come up with something for October. Basic black is alway elegant :crazy: .

Craig

Calcio said:
I've got my half marathon and marathon wardrobe all planned out, now I need to come up with something for October. Basic black is alway elegant :crazy: .

Craig
And to think there was a time I thought you were way too serious! Then I found out about your love for Buffett! Let us know how that outfitting decision goes! Very cool race. You'll have to give us the report.

Well, I did 3.75 in 40 min today. Really got to get to that cold tub! After bills....

Dh said I was going to take a disposable camera for teh marathon. Darn his memory! I might have been able to swingit if my birthday/anniversary present had not been so expensive this year. :(

Well, I'm 3/4 for workouts this week. If meatloaf says 3 outts' 4 ain't bad, then I must still be ok, right?;)

GOOFYs--what are you doing to prepare????? Taboo topic on Team in Training so there is no training plan for anyone considering it--and actually a discouragement from doing both events.

I just did speed work with DS. It wasn't the most productive session. Its hard to run your fastest with your neck craned every which way but straight. He was on the bleachers, under the bleachers, behind the water fountain... I managed to get in 400X4 repeats with a total of 1.7 miles. Definitely not enough warm up for speed work. But its the first session I've done since July! I don't know how I'll get faster at this rate.

I was wondering about carrying water, too. I carry 2 24 oz bottles on my long run (one in my pack, one in my hand), one water, one gaterade. I've been wondering if I should do something similar for the race since your not supposed to change things on race day. But, OTH, come Oct, Nov, I definitely won't be needed so much water on my long runs here in Mass.

I have a question for you northerners. Does anyone else get "blood-drained" hands in the cold weather. I forgot about it until last night when I got just a touch of it. In the cold months (even with gloves) the blood drains completely from my fingers. My fingers are white and totally numb for about 10-20 minutes after the run. The blood and sensation comes back in splotches and my fingers are then bright white with bright red splotches. It looks so bizarre, and is quite uncomfortable. I haven't found anyone else who gets this.

Sunny

Hi Team mates!
So, Lisa maybe Goofy? Wow! Well, you KNOW you can do the full--you already did that whilst sick. Going the half with DH? Will he go slow enough for you to not get to tired for the next day?

Sunny, I have a question...How do you accidentally run 4 miles! :earseek: You go! You certainly amaze me and inspire me when I am not having a good day. (Yesterday, then again today by the way)

Craig, glad to see you posting up instead of reading only. Your words are most encouraging. Hope we can offer some back to you on occasion. Sounds like you will be styling. How fun that you get to go in October.

Liz, thank you so much for your calls. I really needed the push start. Wish I didn't have the bad days, but oh well. Tomorrow will be better...It is a REST day for me! :earboy2:

I am glad that posting my pics have made some of you more than ready to press onward. All I can say is that I know you will not regret it. I'm glad I didn't bore you with those pics.

Melanie great story. You said it for me too.

Everyone, enjoy this time. It will be a true roller coaster until the day. Enjoy all of it. That is what makes this so special. We are all riding it together sharing the hills and thrills!

I had a major STONKER today.-- thanks Helen for my new vocabulary -- I feel pretty down about it, but I will shake it up and be fine. I don't know what was going on with me though. If I knew I guess I would not feel so down. I started out to see how well I could do for a 5k time. Well I'm chugging along, not too quickly but, at a decent pace. This pace I usually work through on my quicker times when I run during the week for time. I am using a different path yesterday and today. I just siezed up. I usually travel with old age hip area pains doc thinks it may be back related, but any way. I just felt the muscles all around my hip joint just cramping all of a sudden. I slowed to a walk, that hurt more than the jog. I turned back and went for only 2.6 miles today and did it in 38 minutes. All I can say is sigh, ouch, sigh.

Carrie

Buffett and Meatloaf? As yes, "I want you, I need you, but there ain't no way I'm ever gonna love you, now don't be sad, don't be sad, 'cause 2 out of 3 ain't bad."

I think in my case the appropriate song is "Growing older but not up." Or perhaps, "We are the people our parents warned us about."

I love Buffett so much because you are right, I am too serious and responsible. The thought of running off to the Caribbean is wonderful, but even in the summer if I'm not out of town I'm in my office. Jimmy's music lets me fantasize about living in the islands and doing nothing all day.

Good form on 3.75 in 40. You're moving right along towards January.

Sunny

I always get cold hands when I'm outside in cool weather. My legs never get cold, but I've always got gloves on past mid-october. I'm not to your exteme pain point, since my hands eventually warm up during runs and then I don't need the gloves. For Disney I start with cheap cotton garden gloves and once my hands warm up I discard them.

Lisa

I'm probably being extremely naive, but I'm training to run a really strong half, and hoping slowing down and enjoying myself will get me through the full. My longest training run will probably be 16 miles or so, and I plan to do the half at about 9:15 per mile pace. On the day of the full I'm planning on 11:30 pace or slower, and if I need to walk a bit every mile to stay fresh, I'll do that. I care a lot about my time for the half, but my only goal for the full is to finish and feel good doing it. I will do a few back to backs this fall, a long day followed by 10K or so, and I'll enforce the same 24 hour turn around I'll face at WDW, so my body will realize what it's like to run hard and then get up fatigued the next day and go out again. I think as long as I don't go too fast at the beginning I'll be okay in the full.

Maybe this won't work out, but I'll find out on January 8.

Craig

Lisa - Walk or w/r the half and tehn go for teh Goofy??? :teeth:

Lily - I am soo sorry about your bad day! I hope everything goes back to normal quicky, but don't push it.

Sunny - I do gardening gloves or those little stretchie ones. They work pretty well for me.

Craig - Just re-living my college days where for a brief 3 to 6 months I was a bit wild and after that, just enjoyed the weekends. Have to admit my fave Meatloaf is Paradise. FOr Buffett, I think I have a new theme song for the marathon. Come Monday, it'll be alright.... Quite honestly, I've always been tooserious myself, that's why I'm goofy (not the races, though) here and I aws only considered wild in a school full of geeks!

You guys already have Disney outfits planned??? Wow and I though I was a planner. This obsession has gotten so bad for me that I'm going to be asking for a Garmin for my birthday unless I break down and buy it before :rotfl2:

I realize that music devices are not allowed. But (shhhh) has anyone ever taken one anyway? I really need my MP3 player during my runs. I would love to get one of those tiny IPods but I don't actually need one. Of course with this new obsession that really means very little :rotfl:

Tonight was supposed to be a xt day but I came home to a mess so I ended up helping someone move furniture. I suppose that could loosly be considered weight lifting ;)

Tomorrow is supposed to be a rest day because of the Sat long run but I may go ahead and do a light run anyway since my training slipped last couple weeks.

Have a great night everyone!

Hi, everyone! Back from Buffett! Awesome, awesome concert! Does dancing my butt off for 2 hours count for cross-training?

Off to a 2 day performing arts festival at DS12's camp and then bringing home, even if he is kicking and screaming and begging to stay! :teeth: Oh, that's right -- it's the last session of the summer. No one is staying. That should convince him! :rotfl:

Talk to you all next week! Enjoy your long sessions this weekend, everyone! I am kind of envious! :grouphug:

Well I maintained my sub 15 min mile for 2 miles yesterday. That was my goal & I was so thrilled I made it. Now I just need to work on stretching it out to 13 miles. There are a bunch of 5k's coming up around town so now I'm trying to figure out which ones to do. The problem is they are usually on Sat. a.m. & that is when DS soccer games are.

I hope I can find a small pack to bring with me. I would love to be able to have a disposable camera to take pre race (and maybe during) pics.

Yes this "free" sport is starting to get expensive. I already have $90 shoes that aren't working for me so I am going to have to get some others. I can't return them because I bought them out of town. I love my MP3 player, $10 per pair of socks, wicking clothes, etc.

Well it's cross trainging day today. Off to the gym for: stair stepper, eliptical, bike, oh my.

Good morning! :sunny: or maybe I should say :umbrella:. It's pouring in Ohio, can't imagine what it's like in Florida right now. Lisa, Mel, and all other Floridians--stay safe!!

I had to run on the treadmill last night, I went over to my parents and didn't get home until after dark. I did 32 minutes of the walk/run and I did 2.36 miles. A little slower than the other night, but it took me a couple turns of running to find a comfortable running pace. Once I got settled into a groove, it was nice running on the TM. It's so hard for me to walk on the TM, because I feel like I'm going to fall off the back, but running was much easier than walking. I have a whopping 2 miles tomorrow, just don't know if I'm going to be able to make it. :rolleyes: :goodvibes

Oh, Stephen is going to the doctor at 11:45 today, so hopefully we'll hear some good news. I know how devasted he would be if he can't start his training schedule on time and won't be able to run the marathon.

Lisa--are you really doing the Goofy?? You go girl! :banana:

Craig--I'm so jealous that you're going to do the Disney 10K! I want to run it so bad, but we're going down Oct 22-30 for our 5th anniversary (it's Oct. 21) and I didn't think we could go down twice in one month. Have a great time!

Lily--Hope you're feeling better. :wizard:

I'd like to shoot the person who said that running is a cheap sport.

Happy training today and stay dry!

Krista princess:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!