Week of Aug 28 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

Melissa-- I can't wait to see pics! Too bad you didn't get to drink beer on your run!

Christa-- Thanks! I agree keeping the kids busy is a small fortune!!!

Speaking of big dogs, I just have to brag a moment. I went to lunch yesterday with a friend I haven't seen in a long time. In our catching up she told me her son has placed in the top ten (Americans) of the Boston Marathon twice! His marathon PR is 2:25:03 :earseek: When he got out of college he didn't know what he wanted to do but he knew his career had to do two things 1) pay the bills, 2) allow him to run. He ended up starting an online coaching site. check it out Pretty cool!

I don't have much to report. Yesterday was lower body weights and a trip to BJs to haul home massive quantities of water and assorted beverages (that counts as cross training doesn't it?). Today should be my midweek mid-length run but its DS's last day of daycare and he is probably going to need allot of mommy time :( I nearly cried dropping him off this morning.

Sunny

Good morning everyone,

Ended up getting home late last night due to a variety of things so no xt for me. I did some light stretching on the troublesome leg but thats about it.

My DF spoke to a friend last night that ran a marathon last weekend. He is very fit according to my standards anyway and his response was that he thought he was in better shape :earseek: That's got me even more worried than I was about the 1/2 :confused3

Can you all tell me what you do for crosstraining? I do belong to the local Y but never use it anymore as I prefer to run outside. I don't want to take classes as my schedule is bad enough. Any suggestions?

Sunny - I dropped my DS off for his 1st day at middle school the other day and was nearly in tears as I drove off. They grow up way to soon!

Minnie-- If you don't want to do a gym-type cross training, you could do workout videos. My favorite is TaeBo, especially the cardio ones. Pilates is good for core strengthening but won't increase cardio capacity. Jumping rope is awsome. I also have one of those mini trampolines which I will sometimes "jog" on with hand weights. If you do decide to do a gym setting, the stair master, bike, and rower are great for working alternative muscles in a cardio capacity. Good luck.

Speaking of getting scrared. I've had THREE people refer to the half I'm signed up for in October as "oh ya, the one with the hills". YIkes! I don't do any hill work. I supposed I should do a little before then.

Sunny

Hi Guys!

Spent the last 2 days catching up & reading all your posts.

As fate would have it, I was in New Orleans this weekend...My son did a school report on it & was fascinated by the history, so he, my mom, & myself planned the trip about 6 months ago. Yeah, great timing.

We flew in early Fri a.m. b-4 the storm was predicted to even head towards LA. Enjoyed our Fri. afternoon & evening. Sat. a.m. all the local stations were buzzing about Katrina heading our way. We were supposed to fly out Mon. a.m., when it was supposed to hit. So we call Delta to change our flights to Sun. a.m. @ 7 a.m. They tell us that it'll cost an additional $179 per person. I complain that there's a hurricane coming, etc...They say call back in a few hours & see if Delta starts to waive fees. Go sightseeing, call back @ noon & we get the 7 a.m. flight for no charge, breathe a sigh of relief & venture back out to the D-Day Museum.

When we get back to the hotel @ around 4p.m. we watch local t.v. that has massive coverage of this storm & see on the little ticker running below, that Delta has canceled ALL flights!!! Only Delta. I call in a panic, Yep, all flights canceled starting Sun. a.m., sorry, but we can put you on a flight Mon. @ 4:40 p.m.! MONDAY, I yell, that's when it's expected to hit you butthead! Meanwhile DH is frantic back in CT.

Now we start to panic - we're gonna get stuck down here. We ask the fron desk for rental car info & they say there are no rental cars available. We pack our stuff & get a taxi to the airport. No taxis wanted to take us there, so it cost $70 (norm. $40 trip). Now it's 5 p.m., we get back on the cell phone (which is about to die) & reserve a rental car @ the airport. BY now they've started contra-flow traffic on hwy 10, the main route out of New Orleans. We get to Avis & there's a line around the building. While we wait in line we hear everyone saying they're going to head west to Houston. The highways are already clogged. We get back on w/ Delta, tell them give us a flight out of Atlanta in the a.m. We get on the road by 7p.m. & start driving. When we get to the Mississippi border we're directed to get on Hwy 59 going north in the southbound lane. Very creepy driving the wrong way on the highway.

5 hours into the drive we're getting tired, we decide to stop in Birmingham, AL & try & get a flight out of there in the a.m. We get the last room in the area (bit of luck @ 12:30 a.m.) sleep for 5 hours, & get back on the phone/indefinite hold with Delta. They get us a flight out of B'ham @ 9a.m. into NYC. I finally get home @ 5 p.m. Sun. a.m. PHEW.

The trip was cut short obviously, an adventure to say the least (and very expensive b/c of all the x-tra stuff we had to do). However, I consider myself lucky to have gotten out. Parts of the highway we were driving on to get out are now gone! Those poor people...all along the Gulf Coast. I hope everyone reading this is safe.

Sorry, had to vent. Not much training going on in the last 6 days, but my knee is feeling better & I hope to start at least walking tomorrow a.m. (I have been doing some c/t on elliptical & bikes) & maybe resume running on Mon. First day of school for DS10 today. 5th grade, yikes! I remember 5th grade.

Thanks for reading guys, needed to vent & it feels good to tell the story in words.

Jodi

Wow Jodi! So glad that you are safe! Is stress considered cross training??

Jodi--so glad that you are safe! I just keep praying and praying for the entire Gulf Coast. Does anyone know if the Red Cross takes clothing donations or only monetary donations? Stephen has lost about 50 pounds since January and I've lost 15 pounds since then too. We have 3 closets full of clothes that we can't wear, perfectly good, still pretty new--just too big. I'm sure the people there are in need of clothing as well as food. I've been trying to get on Red Cross's website, but it's been down all morning.

Guess what--Stephen and I just booked our flight for the marathon!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: We've been watching flights on Air Tran for the past couple of months, when I heard about the inflated gas prices ($3.19 a gallon in Cincy :earseek: ), I decided to jump on Air Tran's website, just to see how bad it was. Non stop flight from Dayton to Orlando and non-stop from Orlando to Dayton $156.90!! I couldn't believe it! :banana: :banana: We're arriving 1/6 at 10:08am and departing 1/14 at 5:50 pm. So the airfare's booked and hotel reservations are made--it's all becoming so real! :earboy2:

Krista princess:

Jodi -- So glad you got out safe and sound. Geez, what a scary adventure!

Am glad to hear how well everyone's training is going. Nothing new here -- did stationary bike Monday night 14.4 miles in 40 minutes. Will walk tomorrow a.m. with a friend and do a 5K Saturday morning. Getting pretty intimidated by the idea of training starting in 1 month! Still hoping to drop a few more pounds before then, at which point I won't worry anymore about losing and will just try to maintain.

Happy training, all!

Jodi - so glad you are safe!

I'm having too much trouble editing the photo in order to post it, so you will all have to picture me at the finish! maybe i can post a link when the real race photos are up.

I am trying to figure out how to conserve gas/fuel and exercise today. i generally pull the boy around the local national military park in his bike trailer, but i think that might be a waste of gas. he won't tolerate me pushing him around the block 1 million times and i don't feel safe running or biking anywhere else with him. I am thinking about riding my bike to the gro store after dh gets home and using the boys bike trailer as the shopping cart??? Maybe we will run a little out of the neighborhood. Can't decide!

Wow Jodi, YOu are so fortunate to get out when you did. TG. I'm glad your home safe. I feel so terrible for all those people who are trapped.

Mel-- I think the grocery store idea is great. I have been thinking of a challenge for myself. I want to go one full week without using my car except to get to work and back (which is mandatory). Everywhere else I go on a regular basis is between 1 and 5 miles from my house! My only challenge is grocery shopping. I was tempted to get out DS's old stroller and use it to haul bags. There's a store just 1.2 miles from my house. (But DD would be mortified to see me walking a baby stroller full of grocery bags up the sidewalk :rotfl2: ) I don't have a bike or trailor. The gas $$ is getting really scarey. Our paychecks aren't inching up along with the gas!

Krista-- the clothes donation is such a good idea. I hope they can accept them.

Quick question. Since DH is running the half and I am not anymore, what is giong to be the best way to do this? I would like to show up around 8-8:15 to make sure I see him cross the finish line and then the 5K starts at 10. We are staying at POP, so is there a special Half-Marathon shuttle? And what about when I want to go around 8?? Thanks guys! Your the best!I hope everyone is doing great.

Hi all!

Jodi- Wow! What a story to tell!! Glad to hear you made it out safely!

Minnie- I have planned on swimming for me cross training, but I have been pretty lax on that my first few weeks :( Need to concentrate on that next week.

Krista- Just got off the phone with the Red Cross in our area and they said the only thing their asking for right now is cash. (Our event next week is supposed to draw about 10,000 people, so we thought we'd do our part and try and raise some money....)

I just got done with my run... did my 35 minutes (3run/2walk) and went 3.59 miles for a 9:46/mile average pace. My last ten minutes or so felt terrible-- I think it had a little something to do with being dehydrated and having eaten too close to my run time, but I'm happy with the pace. I did my strides after that-- and I'll tell you.. the Garmin makes that interesting. :) I did my stride drills and really didn't pay attention to my pace. I checked the Garmin afterwards and discovered that my fastest pace during my stride was.... 4:49/mile!! :earseek: So I guess that means I'm doing ok.

Got to dash...happy training all!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

Hi There! I have not fallen off the face of the earth! Man, have I been busy though.

I have been reading, just no time to reply. Sorry!

Solo, sounds like you are doing great with the training! Keep up the good work!

Agotta, I have no information for you, but I am sure somebody else does. Quite a knowledgable bunch here!

Pluto, what a great idea! Too bad I can't get Greg to join me in walking! It is about 4 miles to the place we eat at on a regular basis! Of course with my pace, we might get there in time for breakfast rather than dinner! :rotfl2: You amaze me with your persistance! You rock! Keep up the great work!

Mel, sorry you never got your beer! What a shame...even if it was just a sip. I have to tell you, I did look at my atlas to see just how far away you were form me this weekend.....quite a ways actually or I would have though about coming to cheer you on! You just have to think about doing a Chicago race! I will be sure to cheer or join you in it!! Can't wair to see your pictures!

Cam, you go girl! I am SO proud of you! It is so refreshing to see you getting ready to train! I missed the registartion for the half, so I guess that means I am going to have to sit this one out...but that is OK. I was hoping if I could still register today (it is payday) then it was ment to be...if not....well then next year! I will be ready then for sure!!!

Krista, great job on finding airfare! I am holding out for great DING flight! I have seen them to Orlando RT for $118.....so I am going to see if I can find one of those good flights and come to cheer you all on! How excited you must be! Keep up the training! It is so inspiring to hear what everybody is doing these days!

:wave2: Carrie! One of these days we are going to have to meet half way for lunch or something....when the price of gas goes down!!! How are things with you?

Jodi, scary stuff there! So glad to hear that you made it home. I am thinking the extra money you spent was money well spent! Sorry for your frustration and scare! Good to have you home safe and sound! I am thinking that at least some of that stress should count for cross training or at least getting your heart rate up!

Minnie, glad to see you got registered! Good for you! You go girl! You have a little training ahead of you and LOTS of support behind you! You can do this! Keep us updated on your progress!

Christa.....hard to beleive that kids cost more than running :rotfl2: I still find it totally unbelievable how much this free sport has cost me....and I don't even have a Garmin :confused3 Guess I won't be getting any kids in teh too near future either... :rotfl2:

Is it football season or something? :confused3 Somehow when you live in Chicago (or close too it) Football just isn't too appealing....for that matter neither is hockey, basketball or baseball for that matter! :teeth:

Helen, if you see this, wishing you safe travels!

I talked to Lily yesterday and she is incredible busy getting ready for her cruise. Poor thing.... :p Lily, have a wonderful time! I know you hve worked hard for tis trip! Enjoy it!! I have missed you!

Well, as you can see, I never made it to the half cut off! You all warned me, but the $$ just wasn't there to do it! I am OK with that though. I had my first 1/2 in Chicago and am very pleased with what I did there. In all honesty, I really didn't think I would make it throught hte Disney half anyway. Now next year...that is a differant story! I will be ready and moving my tush with a nice 15 minute mile....giving myself a little cushioin! Until then though.. I am thinking of becoming a pengnun! Ya see, I was thinking it was time to taek up CCD...Cincinatti, Chicago then Disney! The Penguin does the Cincinatti and Chicago halfs, which would totally prepare me for the Disney Half...hence CCD! I think Lily wants to play too! Anybody else lookking forward to what comes after Disney yet? :banana: :banana: If you want to be pengnun and play CCD with us, do let me know!

Anyway, that is what is new in my life. Oh, and I decided that I really can't afford to leave my job for one closer to home at this point...but I do have some other irons in the fire. We will see what happens!

Know that I am with you all in spirit in training! I may not be "training" anymore, but I am certainly eager to keep up the good habits I have learned.....and much thnaks to all of you for that!!!!

:cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

I had to post really fast before I leave work. Liz, John Bingham does the Flying Pig (Cincinnati marathon)? I was planning on running on the half, now I'm definitely there!! Hope to see you on May 7th!!!!

Krista princess:

agotta: In Last year's borchure, there was a procedure for the spectators listed with times to meet the buses. I remember thinking it was really early, but there may be some way to get there without getting on the spectator bus so early.

Glad to see everyone's training is going good. I'm going to try to start walk/running tomorrow. I think I need to add a minute of jogging every so often to keep my pace where I want it. But I couldnt start training for that until I got a bra to keep "the girls" from giving me a black eye :blush: I think I finally found one that will work. I worked up a sweat in the dressing room trying on all those constrictive bras & the doing jumping jacks & jogging in place. Does that count as cross training?

I grew up on the Gulf Coast & this situation is really getting to me. My parents are in Mobile (they're fine, just no power for 2 days & may be weeks before it's resotored) My son goes to a church school & they have opened their gym to people from the affected areas. When I went to pick him up today I almost lost it. There are families with small kids just sitting around with nothing to do & nowhere to go. They are expecting to house 75 people. It is all just so sad. We are gathering some books, videos & toys to take to them tomorrow. Who knows how long they will have to be here. The Red Cross is there taking care of their needs.

Jodi-glad you got out safely.

Still working on convincing DH how necessary the Garmin is to my training.

My lofty fuel conservation goals did not go as planned today. I think I drove about 20 miles but I did try to be conservative. I drove to a safe place to run while pushing boy and since it was the lake, i took him out in the kayak for a nice paddle and swim. I was not able to ride to the grocery store as it got dark before my husband got home. I did drive the speed limit and i kept the air off. I figured i still used less gas that way.

Tomorrow I will probably do a tempo run from the neighborhood as dh is having eye sx and will be home for a few days. I am doing a 10k on labor day.

today my run was a 3 mile run. I ran at just about my worst pace ever!!!! I think it might have been the pizza i ate on the way or it could have been that i was pushing the boy in the heat of the day. Who knows?

Liz - that made me feel great that you actually check to see how far the crim was!!!!! Thanks for thinking about me!!!!! What a cool bunch :grouphug:

Hi Everyone!

I am new to the Marathon thread and I am planning on running the half marathon in 2007. I didn't even KNOW there was a marathon in WDW until I began to plan our first trip there this next month. I run about an hour a day, 6 days a week. I run SLOW, like about 3.8 mph. Any tips on increasing speed?

THANKS!!

:flower:

Welcome ExPirateShopGirl! :wave: Looks like the 2007 team is shaping up nicely! I'll let the big dogs answer your pace question :dog2:

Jodi...glad to hear you got out ok. I still can't quite get my brain wrapped around those pictures we're seeing.

Tiff...glad to hear you and your family are ok!

Liz...oh no...we won't get to hang out for 2006?! :sad:

MelR...I hate to be a dork, but what's the crim?

Sorry to keep it short, but off to work this morning. I do 5 miles tomorrow...my longest distance ever!

I did some a tempo run on the treadmill on Tuesday 4 miles at 6.5 mph. That is the fastest I have ever run. It felt really good, but yesterday I did a slow 40 minute run at about 5.7 mph and I felt terrible. I actually had to walk for a few minutes and the sweat, well I have never sweat so much before in my life!! Today is a cross training day and clean the house day, blah.

Mel, good luck on that 5 miler today.

ExPirate girl, welcome. Well, you certainly have the endurace if you run for an hour! That is awesome. To speed up try a 3 minute run at a higher pace, say 4.2 and then a 2 minute walk (or until you start feeling good again). Continue that and you will start running faster.
It should do great since you run everyday already. Good luck.

MelRhoads, I smile when you talk about "the boy', he has been on some great adventures!

Tiff I am thinking about a Garmin too. They have them on Amazon for $115 (the 201's) not sure if I need a (301 which is the heart rate monitor at $199). Some of the reviews say the monitor doesn't work that well. What have others experienced here?

Liz, I am glad you are settled with your employment situation. Those decisions are always hard. The more money thing is a good thing! Hard to turn that down. :sunny:

Solo, I can't believe your 3 run/2 walk pace, maybe I should try that. Do you find your walking pace to be really fast or is it more of a recovery pace?

Sunny, I too an amazed with what you can do. It is truly inspiring. How old is your son? Do you have a daughter as well?

Jodi, so glad you are safe. The whole situation down there seems absolutely horrifying. I need to read up on the history of New Orleans and find out why a city would be built below sea level.

All have a good day today! :wave:

Colleen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter