Week of Aug 28 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

Just time for a quick note. I'll post more later. Before I forget, though, turnign off oyur air does save gas. However, if you roll your windows down instead, you create drag and waste gas. It's really a toss up.

The optimum speed for your car is 55 to 60. In some states, doing teh speed limit isn't optimum savings. However, IMO, it's not real safe to go much under the speed limit. So, just try not ot be a speed demon and if you ususally go above the speed limit, it would help to slow down a bit.

One of the biggest wastes of gas is taking off too quick from a stop. That wastes a lot. Taking it easy on teh strts is a big help.

Steppign of soap box and runner Carrie will come back soon.! ;)

Good morning everyone,

Last night was a no go for me. I had a bunch of stuff to do after leaving work late and didn't even get home until after 9pm. Hmmm maybe I can count all that rushing around as xt :rolleyes:

I am going to give Pilates a try as I have heard great things about it. They don't offer it anywhere near where I live but I'm going to try getting a video.

Tonight no matter if it is late again or not I'm back out on the road somehow. Even if it means getting the dreaded treadmill out :guilty: because the long run day of Saturday is almost here once again. I'm staying at the planned 5 miles as that was quite a stretch for me. Don't want to do to much and get hurt.

Question time - How much resting do you all do? Do you have a rest day before and after a long run so train 5 days or something else? Just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

Minnie - The Penguin's half plan is usually this:

Sun - Rest
Mon - Run
Tue - XT
Wed - Rest
Thur - Run
Friday XT
Sat - Long Run

I do not know if that changes much later in the program or not.

Agotta, there is transportation for spectators, and you will need to be in place quite early I believe as the roads are closed during the race time. If you can get the map and pick a spot along the path, or hook up via cell phone you should be able to see us ALL going by!

ExPirateShopGirl, welcome to the Team! I think you have gotten great advice about increasing speed. You can look up speed drills on the Web unless we have them linked at the top or the FAQ thread. You may want to look at a couple of books that we are using...my fav Marathoning for Mortals by John Bingham, or there are others following Hal Higdon, etc... Then you can decide what works best for you and follow that when the "official training begins."

I have forgotten already who asked, and I'm not going to take time to look back, but with Y membership if you could just get in a routine for even 1 day/week to swim it may assist in your training. I found it has helped regulate my breathing and has allowed me to gain farther distances...not any longer as it has been like for-ever since I have done that. But it does work.

Hey Team I've missed everyone! It has been incredibly so busy for me this week. I've been getting up somewhere areound 5-6 and going to sleep about 11-12. I have taken time to eat and then it is work for work(lots of extra hours) or for home so I can vaca. I've not done anything, not even TM. I miss this. Desparate to be out there.

(We leave Sat for DVC Member's cruise and then the remainder of the week at BWV.) I will run some once in the World, but I don't think I will make it out b4. Lisa, we are staying in Cape Canaveral on Saturday...I think that is near you isn't it?

Mel- you are totally not a dork!! The crim is a big race in flint, mi, every summer. Dh, sis in law and i did the 10 mile. I have never done it before but my sis in law has done it for 13yrs. Her daughter (3yo) told grandma "my mom has run this race 3 times and she hasn't won yet" There were about 10,000 participants in all of the events. It has been lauded as one of the best races for involving the community and promoting healthy habits (although there were donuts and beer along the course!)

Colleen - the boy definitely goes along on tons of adventures. Interestingly enough, the boy himself is a great adventure!!!!! WILD MAN!!!

No training today. Dh had the laser eye sx today. I am his sweet nurse--maid today :flower: Speaking of adventures, the eye dr. just laughed at me when i asked him how long it would be before dh could kayak or mt. bike or rock climb again! He said he could hike or jog but couldn't do the others for about a week. the irony is that Phil hates running!!! Makes him a better babysitter for goofy's race!!

My arms are a little fatigued today from the kayaking yesterday. I think it also worked my legs (right around my hips) a little. I guess that was from the lean turns?? Anyway, maybe phil will be able to see well enough tomorrow for me to do a short tempo run before the 10k on monday.

Tiff – What a crew! How cool for you! My parents had ot cancel, but it looks like my cousin might come up for the day. What a wonderful thing you are doing by training to provide a few niceties (sp?) for those in need. That’s great! I cannot imagine what that would be like.

Kiena – Have a great time at HH! Someday, if we ever tire of WDW (ha, ha) we may give that a shot!

Heather – Hope that leg’s doing better. Don’t push it. It’s too early in training to be hurt!

Susan – Great job on the 5K. Keep up the good work!

Solo – will you ever re-surface from work? Sounds like at least you’re getting your training in. Trips to Jordan looooong work hours. Plus you want to finish school? Wow, you are motivated!

Minnie – A Mom who got her degree. :worship: Good luck on the 5-miler. You CAN do it! It’s hard to fit running in during the week, but I’m sure that it will pay off in January!

Kaf7878 – Take it easy. Don’t hurt yourself more. Have you tried ice otr cold soaks in the tub. No fun, but work wonders!

Wfloyd – How’s your training going?

Lisa – Bummer. No Goofy this year. Hope things are going well!

Krista – Sounds like your making great progress, WTG! I was soooo excited when I got my plane tickets! I want to be there now, but, then again, I’m not quite ready for the run yet. :confused3 How’s Steve’s knee doing?

Nancy – Sorry you missed out on this year, but it sound like you’re really relieved. You should be cruising next year!

Jodi – Have you been able to get back in the swing of things since your adventure?

Cam – Good luck on that 5K. You’re in great shape leading into training. You should be fine!

MelR – Nice try on the conserving gas when exercising and doing groceries. Best laid plans…. Sounds like you got a great work out, though! I kayaked about 10 seconds last summer. Even at my best, I have no upper body strength. Pizza and running must be separated by several hours. Not a good thing, and I am one who has to eat fairly close to running. Hope hubby recovers quickly!

Amanda – Hey, maybe we can meet up cheering for the half, provided our flight is on time Friday night. I am torn btwn getting up early, so I’ll be a little more used to it for Sunday morning and trying to get a little extra sleep. I’ll be around. I just don’t know if I’ll make the early spectator buses.

Liz – Good luck with those irons in the fire! :wizard: It’d be great if you could get something good and close to home. We do have to meet up sometime. Will the gas pices ever really recover? (I’m hoping after this weekend and after we have a better feel for what needs to be repaired.) hey! You may be training for 2007, but you better not stop training! Lily will get you!

ExPirateShopGirl – Welcome! Have you tried form running exercises or tempo exercises? These are part of the MfM training plans.

Mel – Good luck with the 5 miler! Thos steps can be so scary, but you feel great when you accomplish them. Hope the new hours are going well for you!

Colleen – Good job on the great run! I find that I need to follow those grat runs with the cold soaks or else I have a heck of a time recovering!

Lily – Have a wonderful time on your cruise! I am so jealous!

Sunny – You are awesome! I wish I had your discipline. Keep up the great work!

Whew! We rally have grown, and there are still a bunch of us missing. What a great team.

Well, my legs have not been right for a while. I think it’s because I gave up the cold soaks for a while. I’ve started again and felt better last night (cooler weather didn’t) hurt either). We did 40 min last night and then form work. Yikes. I feel like I’ve been hit by a truck today! Never knew 30 seconds could be so long.

Funny football story – BIL was just saying Sunday how this was the Lion’s year. (Yes, he is a true fan.) I’m glad I was an hour and a half away from him Monday night. Yikes! So, I'll stay out of teh I'll see your team in teh super bowl discussions for now. :sad2:

Carrie, I am in. Whoever wants to meet up and cheer on the Half Marathoners. I just couldn't see getting up with DH at like 2!!

Well- it looks like the evacuees staying at my son's school have decided to temporarily relocate here. They realize there is nothing to go back to. I can't even imagine how hopeless they feel. Now they are looking for more permanent housing & jobs. A few of them may even be attending my son's school(and this is a private christian school that is letting them attend for free) I am very proud of the philanthropic attitude they have.

I added jogging to my walk today. I am hoping to increase my pace. Boy is that different that just walking! My pace isn't any faster because of a slower walk right after jogging but it will definately get better with training. Felt good.

Tomorrow I will be walking around the neighborhood. Has a few slight hills so I figure that will be good for my calves.

I am thrilled to be a part of this great team! :love: I can't wait to meet everyone in January. Who knew that coming to this board to get my butt in gear to lose weight would turn me into an athlete so quickly. I have never been an athlete & I am actually loving this training. (although haven't hit the really long walks yet)

Great job Tiff! I agree, this is an awesome place. Funny (well, not really), but I jsut read on another board that a DIS friend who evacuated to FL has decided to relocate tehre, as it will be so long before he will get his life and home back. I cannot imagine starting from scratch. No job, no home, their bank does not eve have a FL location. I cannot imagine....

Well, I had a 40min stonker tonight. Did not feel well tobegin with and legs are really tight. This is my first back-to-back day of runnign, though, so I'll just be hapy I made it and thankful that I do not have to try again until Saturday's 6.

Colleen

The situation in New Orleans is a long story leading to a 100% certain conclusion.

300 years ago the Mississippi didn't have much of a natural channel so every year it changed course a bit, plus it leaked out of the channel, so every year millions of pounds of sediment were deposited in what is now Southern Louisiana. This built up the land through a very wide area of the state.

Once the river became the primary route into the country and New Orleans was built to serve this trade, levees were built to contain the river.

This led to this weeks disaster. The levees kept the sediment from getting deposited in a wide area. Instead, the river carries it out into the Gulf, where it falls and creates land.

On top of this the land itself is sinking in S. Louisiana. So you get the double dose of sinking old land and no new land being deposited, so the entire area sinks. There are 2 old forts below New Orleans along the river, which were built to keep ships from coming up river, very active during the Civil War (or for those of us who lived in the South, the War Between the States). Today they have sunk to the point that only the tops of the ramparts are still above the water level.

So the land is sinking and the river actually rises a bit every year because some sediment is deposited in the bed. When you are in New Orleans and you watch a ship go by on the river, you actually look up to see the ship. It is quite the weird and unsettling feeling.

Sadly this day was coming for sure, the only question was when. They always fiigured a hurricane would need to go right over the city to create the havoc we've seen, but the levees breaking was enough without the direct hit.

Running? Well I broke my right big toe Saturday evening, doing something less than intelligent. I can walk and bike today (Sunday was interesting), but it will be a while before I''m running again. A good excuse to back off for a week or so.

Craig

Calcio said:
300 years ago the Mississippi didn't have much of a natural channel so every year it changed course a bit, plus it leaked out of the channel, so every year millions of pounds of sediment were deposited in what is now Southern Louisiana. This built up the land through a very wide area of the state.

Craig

Thanks Craig for all the information, I had no idea! Sediment! I am from Canada so did not get this history/geography lesson in school. :confused3

Hope that toe starts feeling better.

Colleen

OK, posted earlier but it's lost in space somewhre.

Craig - Thansk for filing in some of the gaps I had. Knew bit sna dpieces, but... Ouch! Sourry about your toe! Hope it improves quickly!

OK. I think we are playin gtennis for XT today. Something different. Then, we'll do 6 Saturday. WIll rest SUnday, or play tourist, and tehn walk the Macinaw Bridage Monday. No, it's not running, but we will have walked about 7 miles by 10 am. I can't really flip flop XT and runs any mmore or that would have us running Tue, Wed and Thurs. No thanks! 2 in a row is enough for me for now!

Hi, everyone!

Tiff -- I am so glad your son is getting to see philanthropy in daily life, though it is a hard way for anyone to see that. I hope we will all remember to keep the victims and those engaged in the rescue efforts in our prayers. Congratulations on feeling like an athlete! Isn't it fun? To be a member of this bunch has been the most rewarding experience I have had in a long time. :goodvibes: It is so funny, though, that my cardiologist and my GP and I were discussing the fact that I now, for the first time ever, have sports-related afflictions ;) (runner's toe, inflamed sacroiliac joint)! Heck, I'm glad to have achieved these afflictions through exercise, rather than atrophy!

Craig -- I am so sorry about your toe. I hope the healing process is quick and uneventful, and that you find other, satisfying ways to keep up your training while you are healing.
Thank you for the history lesson. I have been to New Orleans only once-- for the Tulane Corporate Law Institute, several years ago. I remember so clearly sitting on a bench near the river with my cup of coffee and beignets from Cafe du Monde (sp?) and watching tankers/ships on the river and literally having to stand up or look up to see them. It was very disconcerting, even then. But the area was exquisitely beautiful (at least during the day -- at night it was a very dark, scary place to be) And I did a tour of the Garden District and the cemeteries and was appalled to hear all the details about how and why the cemeteries were situated as they were. Unfortunately, having been there, my imagination of what it is like there now is so graphic and horrifying, even without the actual news footage.

keenercam said:
I did a tour of the Garden District and the cemeteries and was appalled to hear all the details about how and why the cemeteries were situated as they were.

Cam, could you tell me more about this?

Colleen

princessmomma said:
Cam, could you tell me more about this?

Colleen

Our tour guide told us that, because the city is below sea level, there had been times in history when in severe rains, some coffins had floated out of the graves, and that since then, the dead are buried above ground, in layers in crypts -- many, many family members share space in an unusual way. The crypts were fascinating to see. I can't even begin to imagine the implications of the horrific conditions on the living, much less those recently or long-deceased.

I meant to post this earlier. I heard yesterday that the University of Delaware has offered spots to all students who had earlier been accepted for admission, but who had chosen to attend the colleges and universities that have been affected by the hurricane. I guess many students who had expected to attend Tulane this fall or other schools in those areas will be enrolling at University of Delaware, so that they don't have to defer their college educations for a year.

Also, the 5th Circuit Court is looking to re-locate all of its Court functions and personnel on a more than temporary basis, in light of the devastation, though it is only hearing emergency matters right now, like motions to stay executions or deportation.

Sorry, guys, didn't mean to hijack the thread. Now, back to your regularly scheduled training programs! :cool1:

wtpclc said:
Solo – will you ever re-surface from work? Sounds like at least you’re getting your training in. Trips to Jordan looooong work hours. Plus you want to finish school? Wow, you are motivated!

Funny football story – BIL was just saying Sunday how this was the Lion’s year. (Yes, he is a true fan.) I’m glad I was an hour and a half away from him Monday night. Yikes! So, I'll stay out of teh I'll see your team in teh super bowl discussions for now. :sad2:

Carrie- No, I fear I never will. Actually, by mid-afternoon Sunday, the craziness will be over.... for now... :) I not a Michigan native, so I'm not a big Lions fan... but I'd tell your BIL he might want to latch his hopes onto one of the real football success stories in the state-- there are several teams that, you know, win lots of games and championships and such. Cuz, well.... that's not going to happen with the Lions any time soon :teeth:

Being so busy and so exhausted, I'm suprised I am staying so motivated. It would be very easily to fall into the trap of just sitting around and let things fall by the wayside, but I'm not. That's real progress for me.

So, 6 mile run this morning and I finished in 58:06 for a 9:41/mile pace. It was not fun-- but it got done. :)

Anyhow, back to work....
Happy training all!!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

Hi Team,

Craig, so sorry to hear of your injury. What's up with that! Awww man. Hope you can keep up something so you can get a move on once it heals.

I have had a major stonker week here. Work has really kept me away from everything. However, releive is here! We leave tomorrow a.m. for DVC Member's Cruise. Will hopefully get to hook up with Lisa for a few as we will be staying in her neighborhood tomorrow--well sort of. Maybe get to memorialize some of that.

See you all after next week. Stay safe, happy training. Keep on keepin' on.

Liz...get your walk going.

I don't have time to read through the thread right now so I'm just posting this morning's run before I head off to a wedding.

16 miles. Me and LR and truly in love :love:

Here are my splits:

1 10:35
2 10:03
3 9:58
4 10:09
5 10:28
6 9:30
7 9:52
8 9:37 (goo)
9 10:04
10 9:28
11 9:15
12 8:48 (ran out of fluids :()
13 10:14
14 9:43
15 9:39
16 10:32

Overall Average: 9:52

Sunny

First of all. jodi, I was so glad to hear you were able to get out of NO safely. What an experience that must have been! Prayers and PD :wizard: to all affected.

Liz, sorry you didn't get in on the half. You and I need to stick together to get ourselves ready for 2007! We can do it! :banana:

We closed on our house on Thurs, and have started the move. Right now it's just a few carloads a day. The truck comes on the 15th. Then I have to get it all put away! :earseek: That may be the hardest part!

Hoping to connect with Lily and her DH at WDW for some moving relief one day next week after she gets off her cruise.

I do have some positive training news to report for a change! My swim time for the 500 meter segment that I have been timing has come down almost a full minute over the course of the summer, and about 30 sec in the past month alone! I wasn't seeing the faster times for a while because the water temps were sp hot, but now that it has cooled off th a water temp of about 90º from the 96º that it was, I have seen a big difference. I don't feel as sluggish in the water as I was feeling, and that feels good. I'm hoping my walking times will get better as the heat and humidity go down, too. I probably won't see much of that until after the move is over, though. Swimming is just so much more attractive as a form of exercise after a day of moving boxes in the heat! :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter