Week of Aug 7 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in the 2006 and/or 2007 Disney Half or Full marathons. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us!

Here's the Marathon FAQ, a great place to answer your marathon questions:
Disney Marathon FAQ
And some websites for further running/walking info:
http://www.runnersworld.com
http://www.coolrunning.com
http://www.halhigdon.com
http://www.running4women.com/
http://www.runnergirl.com/index.shtml
http://www.katherineswitzer.com/fitness.html
The John Bingham site:
http://www.waddleon.com/
Jeff Galloway's site:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Pacing Calculator

Did 4.25 miles yesterday at a 16:10 pace! :bounce: I don't think I've ever been so hot or slimy in my life :crazy2:

Minnie... :wizard: for your 5 miles. You'll be great!

Tiff...wtg! Now you're official! Be careful with the 5Ks...they're addictive ;) I have done three 5ks now and still have that image problem. I worry that I'm the slowest or fattest or that I don't really belong there with the 'real' athletes. It's worse if I get to the race too early...gives me too much time to think. I'm slowly learning to replace the negative thoughts with positive ones of encouragement for setting PRs. I like the Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer for the mental aspects of training...think I need to pull it out and read it again.
Oh...and if you like to plan, we can put you in charge of planning the WISH team meets during race weekend. ;)

Bree...love you and Christa's marathon album. I'm training so that I have time to stop and see the characters ::MickeyMo but I think I'll be too worried about the sweeper to stop much :scared:

Sunny...I think your daughter is very wise, but I know what you mean. I find myself trying to squeeze in an extra mile or two on rest days now :blush:

Colleen...some of what you mentioned is what got me into this. I thought people that did marathons (or halves) were ultrafit, elite athletes that had been running all their lives...certainly not me. But I found the 2005 WISH team thread and learned that people like me could train and do this and LOVE it!

Zela...great pace! :banana: Congrats on the PR! :banana:

Solo...wow...quite a business trip! :wizard: for a safe trip!

MelR...I hope you and the TM can come to some sort of compromise :) Great photo of you and the family!

Cam...big apologies! HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY! :bday: :cake: :bday: And wtg on that distance!

Howard...wtg on the 6.25 miles! that's a great pace!

Helen...how's the book coming?

Carrie...how did the 6 miles go? I think I'm going to have to start getting up earlier on weekend runs too. I left at 8am and came back sunburned and gross! And I promise to share the chocolate mousse tray with you :teeth:

Krista...how's the training coming? Got some football fix yesterday but really looking forward to tomorrow nights game :)

Liz and Lily...thinking about both of you this a.m. :wizard: for your race! Can't wait to see your race reports!

I'm registered for the 3:00 corral. I've heard it's better to put down a time then not. If you don't put a time in when you register, then you end up in the last corral. Of course, when I registered, I didn't know that's how they lined you up...I thought Disney just wanted to know when I hoped to finish :blush:

Love the new doggie smilies, but can't figure out which one's a big dog. :dog: :dog2: I think this guy's a pug, so I may use him for my little dog runs :pug: Or maybe a rating scale according to number of paw prints :paw:

I think it may be getting to be time to resurrect Lisa's planning thread and start making some ADRs! Only 5 months to go! :scared1:

I'm back. My speech went well. One person even said "Amazing"! Today I ran/walked 3.1 miles in preparation for my first 5k next weekend. I set a PR of 43:02. Boy was it hot! I should have gotten out there at least an hour earlier. It's back to the gym tomorrow.

Thinking of Liz and Lily this morning. Sending lots of :grouphug: and :wizard: Wish we were there to cheer you on! :cheer2:

Heather

Yes, can't wait to hear from Liz and Lilly.

Heather great job on the speech. What was the topic?

Also, I am thinking about Minnie this morning too! :wizard: I hope your 5 miles went well this morning. Maybe you are busy registering for the race?? :earsgirl:

Chimera, I know what you mean about slimy and hot. Before I started running, I thought I didn't sweat, just the glow thing was going on. Boy was I wrong.

Bree, great picture, it looks like you two are having the time of your lives. By the way, what shoes are you wearing? Thanks for the detailed info. on the weather. DH won't run Disney because he is worried about the heat. He wants to run either Charlotte or Kiawah Island in December. He is trying to find informaton on the elevation change of the Charlotte marathon. Are you familiar with the course? Is it fairly flat?

Colleen

I just finished week one of Hal Higdon's 1/2 training. Since I have extra weeks, I plan on repeating week one next week.

Good luck training.

Liz and Lily - I'm dying to know. Please check in sooon!

Well, I did my 6 Saturday. It was under 60 :cool1: , so I thought I could fly. Not. On a scale of :paw: to :paw: :paw: :paw: :paw: :paw: , :paw: being run from that horrible hot place and :paw: :paw: :paw: :paw: :paw: being run of my dreams, it was a :paw: :paw: :paw: . I did have a 10:40 pace, but I wanted a consistent 10:30. Got hot in sunny in teh middle and I do think I over-estimated the joy of cool weather.

Word of warning: Do NOT watch Cool Running before going out on a long run. The Jamaican bobsled team song goingt hrough your head for 6 miles is not good. It came back to haunt me for the first 6 miles of my bike ride that night too. The last 6 were ok, as I was too busy hanging on to my loose handle bars with a death grip. It's always something. No, I did not ride to train, it's just the easiest way to get to the coolest fireworks show on earth. Yes, I decided last night that Coast Guard festival fireworks are better than Wishes. However, I'd pick MK over Grand Haven any day.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Hello fellow trainees:

Wow, sounds like everyone's kicking butt with their training & PRs! GO LIZ & LILLY!! :moped: I hope we see pix of their medals here tonight!

Well, I must thank Craig :goodvibes & all the rest of you that recommend I slow my pace down for those LRs. Yesterday I got up @ the butt-crack of dawn, slooowweed down & ran 8 miles in 85 minutes; so that's a little over 10 1/2 minute miles, right? I was soo psyched, not only did I break my mental block of 6 miles, I went 8. (next Sat. I'll probably keel over after 5 miles) :rotfl: .

I've been reading a few people are having reservations & such, feeling a lack of confidence. My advice is this...Start off slow! Walk 2 miles, make it leisurely, make it fun, this is what I did back in April. Believe me, when it comes to getting in my own way b/c of lack of endurance I am the queen princess: It's something that truly must be built up over time. Aim for walking the 1/2 marathon, start the Marathon for Mortals program now & I know you can finish. You'll find yourself saying "holy cow, I did that?" I'm still reeling from yesterday. And do not compare yourself to anyone, all that counts is that you're out there, that's the big step :grouphug:

Looking forward to hearing about everyone's training triumphs & woes (not too many of these hopefully) as the week goes on! Jeez I'm glad I found you guys. :teeth:

Jodi

Have a great day & week.

princessmomma said:
Bree, great picture, it looks like you two are having the time of your lives. By the way, what shoes are you wearing? Thanks for the detailed info. on the weather. DH won't run Disney because he is worried about the heat. He wants to run either Charlotte or Kiawah Island in December. He is trying to find informaton on the elevation change of the Charlotte marathon. Are you familiar with the course? Is it fairly flat?

Colleen

Hey guys! Ment to get out and run at the Y today but went to see Mr & Mrs Smith instead. Pretty good movie. Tomorrow I'll run short then MAKE myself do some weights. I haven't been keeping up with them, and my arms are getting kind of flappy, and yes I do mean flappy not flabby ;)
I laugh at this b/c there used to be a time when I'd rather do weights than run and now it's completly opposite.

Mel - You won't get swept I'm sure. Go out there and have a great time!

Colleen - I think your husband can find a course map for the Charlotte marathon. It's called Thunder Road Marathon. Try looking on www.runforyourlife.com to see if they have one. I'll ask my FIL if he has a topograph (is that the right word?) of the course. I believe it is hilly but pretty much everything in Charlotte is. Christa and I are running that marathon too. We figure we'll be running 22 or so miles around then anyway so why not do 26.2 and get a medal for it. We've decided that if we have to walk several miles of it we're ok with that. We won't try and PR that day or anything....well I won't anyway :) By the way - where in NC do you live?

Must go for now. Talk to you all soon!
~bree~

Hi all - Not much to report my end, had to have another weekend off from long runs as my cold moved to my chest - and the pharmacist won't sell me stronger cough mixture because of my asthma so I just have to wait for them to clear. Book is going well though Mel - I might even finish a day before deadline.

Re corrals - my theory is if you have a time you want to finish in, then put it down so you get corralled with people hopefully doing the same pace. I'm corralled at 4.50 for the full, I know I won't do it all in that time as my second half pace will fall (and tigger is in the second half and I don't care how long I have to stand there for, I'm getting that photo) - but I want to get to half way by 2.10ish so figured I'd corrall with people aiming to do the same.

So that's my lot - checked in to see if Liz and Lily had reported - hoping they are celebrating somewhere and far too happy to post. Helen

If Liz doesn't post soon--I'm posting her song again.....

here's a warning ;)

Intro:
Liz get your butt out
{walk, walk, walk, walk}
{walk, walk, walk, walk}
{walk, walk, walk, walk}
{walk, walk, walk, walk}

Chorus:
Liz get your butt out {walk, walk, walk, walk}
Liz get your butt out {walk, walk, walk, walk}

{walk, walk, walk, walk}

Lizzy pooh--where are you.......?

:)

Okay let the butt kicking begin I bailed on the long run again today. It's been such a busy weekend that I never did get to bed early and didn't get up early enough to beat the horendous heat that we have been experiencing.

Yep excuses, excuses I could go into a whole bunch of them (still can't walk on heel without shoes, ect ect). But to be real about the whole thing I think I just siked (sp) myself out :blush: The extra 2 miles probably doesn't seem like much to everyone else but to me I just couldn't do it. It's a mental thing that I have to get over somehow :confused3

So in the end, nope I still haven't registered, and nope no long run this weekend for me. Think I need to do this to myself :badpc:

We are back!! We got these...
f2eb5e5d.jpg
and these.....
f2eb5d91.jpg
and one last one....
f2eb5cb5.jpg
but more infor on all this later...I am too pooped to pop!!!

Thanks for all the well wishes. I promise to tell you all about it tomorrow!!

While running this weekend, I discovered that the laws of Physics can be broken. When running/jogging 2 minutes goes by so slowly but when you are walking those same 2-3 minutes go by instanteously. This almost gives the impression that by walking the marathon, you will feel that you finished it quicker than if you ran it.

Liz and Lily - :cool1: :cool1: :banana: :banana: Liz - You are now a big :dog2: !!! (Somehow the smile on the face does not reflect true fierceness of a big dog) Way to go!!!!!!

wfloyd - Yes, that phenomenon stinks. I hear ya'!

1st weekend of training off to a great start.

Do you guys change your diet for training? I know eating healthy, but beyond that? I'm currently doing my own version of WW.

I have found 2 local 5k's I'm going to participate in. The 1st is Oct 8 & is for breast cancer-good cause. That gives me 2 months to train for it. NO PROB!

chimera: Thanks for the offer! I dont think I would know how to even begin planning that, but if there is someone that actually knows what they are doing , I would be glad to help them with it.

Greetings from Amman!

Thank you to everyone who wished me well on this trip. It's been a wonderful experience so far (despite the working part). Today was an off day so a coworker and I took a day trip to Umm Qais and I have spent a lot of time exploring Amman on my own. Tomorrow is another working day and then Wednesday I get the pleasure of spending another 20 hours in an airplane before I end up home- bleh.

Anyhow, I had a revelation on Saturday when I arrived here: the running bug has bit me hard. After 20 hours on a plane the one thing a really wanted to do when I got to the hotel? Hit the treadmill :teeth: And it felt really good. So even though I'm half a world away, I'm still keeping up with my training.

Liz- Congrats!! How cool!!!!!!! :Pinkbounc

Tiff- Welcome! Glad to have you along. Sounds like you are off to a great start!

wtpclc- I'm so disappointed I missed the Coast Guard Festival fireworks. I have gone every year since I moved to Michigan and this is the first one I've missed. :guilty: Now, I disagree about the "better than Wishes" part, but it's still a very cool show. My roomate videotaped it for me-- but said the fire on the hill was more interesting then parts of the show :confused:
Great job with the run!

Keep up the great work everyone!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

solo - the most amazing part was the fire re-started yesterday morning. The have firman on guard yet today. It's said that they lost 10-15 acres. I'm sorry to disagree but the variety of firworks at CGF is amazing. I just don't recall that from Wishes. No, it was not started by Tink adn does not have the magical Disney music to accompany, but Istill say that the quality of fireworks themselves are better. Anyway, glad you're having a good trip!

Side note: No, fire is not a good thing. This is a rather sleepy area and the biggest news of the year is how many fires are caused by the fireworks. They are put off in a rather isolated area, so there is not a risk to humans.

Way to go Liz and Lily! :banana: :banana: :banana: We can't wait to hear all about it! Ooh, I am drooling over that medal! :goodvibes

Back to the gym this morning. I hurt my ankle yesterday. I think it's just a strain, but I took it easy today. I only did 2 miles, but my big news is that I was finally able to run 3 minutes and walk 2 minutes in intervals for the entire 2 miles. Little dog stuff, I know. :paw: But for me, that is a major achievement. My pace was actually slower than when I walk 3/run 2, but I know that will change over time. I remember that when I started the walk 3/run 2 program I was slower than just walking!

Heather

I got up Saturday morning feeling great and sure I was going to post an improved time in my second 5K. Boy was I wrong! I finished at 43:09 which is almost 3 minutes slower than last time. This field was FAST. The overall winner was just barely over 15:00! I was ticked because the police started opening the course to traffic way too early and I got stuck at two major intersections which cost me a minute or so but that's really no excuse. I just had a bad day. I hope to do better in three weeks when there is another 5K in my neighborhood. I ran close to 3 miles yesterday as well since I was feeling no soreness from the day before. So, glass half full, I ran 6 miles in two days.

Congrats to Liz and Lilly. You guys so totally rock!

Christa and Bree: Regarding the Thunder Road Marathon, I plan on doing the 10K for that one. Talk about some hills!

I hope everyone has a great week of training!

Susan

Thanks so much for all the wonderful good luck wishes! In all fairness, I have to tell you, I never made it all 13.1 miles. I made it 9. Regardless of how many miles I did finish, I am please with myself. The realization of getting this done was overwhelming. I have NO idea how I would have ever gotten through what I did without each and every one of you!

Now for those of you reading thinking you can’t do this, you are WRONG!!!! You could NEVER be more wrong. You can do this. If I can get out there and do it, anybody can. I can assure you of that. However, be true in your training….each and every step counts…and counts big. Lily, you can say I told you so! It is so true; you have to put the steps in. Although I made a great effort to train, I did not do what I was supposed to do and that indeed made a difference in what I did do and what I could have done.

Now, going back a few steps……OK a lot of steps….but I really wanted to share my experience. Thinking back to January, when I got this crazy idea to do a half marathon, I thought it would be a fun thing to try. Now mind you, I generally give up on everything very early into it. Well, guess what, I didn’t give up this time. Why? The support found here is absolutely incredible…..as is the journey form start to finish.

When I first started training, I had time! Lots of time! My walks were fun. Some days were easier than others and having the ability to train whenever I wanted to made a HUGE difference for me. Once I started working and the training got a little more intense, that was not so much fun. But one thing that NEVER changed was the encouragement I got from this board and all of these people. The good, the bad and the ugly…….it all helped in some way shape or form. Hearing the big dogs and what they could accomplish was amazing…something to dream about, for those that were just starting out like me, it is fun seeing and sometimes measuring my own progress….and for all the others in between, it is nice knowing there is a middle ground. This is truly a sport that anyone can do.

Now about my journey…..it started with a thought that maybe I am just crazy enough to try this. It was A LOT of hard work. Work that I have never dared to try. No only was it a physical thing, it was a mental thing. Knowing when to press on and knowing when to stop before injury. Sometimes you stop and sometimes you are just stupid!!! Looking back at January and not ever walking a mile at a time, it is an accomplishment to have walked 9 miles in a sport that there are so many levels to. No matter what your level, there really is no other place when so many can join in once common sport and race. Sure, there are those that are racing against a clock…..and let me tell you, we all are in some way, shape or form…..and then there are those who are out the for the sense of accomplishment. No way, no how I ever thought I could ever get on any playing filed like that.

Many of you will remember my incident with the “shoe man”. The man who almost convinced me I was too fat and not in shape enough to even try this. Thank goodness, there were so many of you who let me know otherwise. I do want to tell you that Saturday I had the pleasure of seeing this man! I let him know I was here to run my race and no matter what I was going to get my medal…..and I did!

Of course before seeing the “shoeman”, we ran into John Binham. He is a great man! A man of MUCH encouragement. He believed in me…much like so many of you believed in me. I knew then that I needed to believe in me. With The Penguin, I was honest about my fears of finishing. I was even so bold as to ask if he would keep the course open just an hour longer. He assured me I would get it done….and even told me a little secret. He said if there was a fear of not getting done in time…find a good place to cut across the course and make it back in time to get my medal. And I did just that….so when you see the race pics, you will know the reason I “finished” in a sub 3 hour time! So he graciously took some pics with us, signed our bibs and encouraged us to Waddle On….and we did.

Now about the “we” part of this. You are all very special to me, but I have to send a big kudos out to our Dog Catcher! Lily, there is NO WAY I would have ever made it anywhere without you. Our friendship means so much to me. I can’t ever even imagine that two people meeting by way of the internet could become such great friends. Even my friends who live here close and said they would be walking with me were no where to be found. Lily was there from start to finish. In every aspect! A true friend through and through. She was there for MY experience this time around and never complained one bit about my slow pace, my whining or my inability to finish the race. And she was there to memorialize the entire thing. I am certain you will enjoy the pictures if nothing else. So Lily, you are the BEST!!! I love you man!!!! And Amanda, you too!!! A greater weekend I have never had!!

So, I trained half butted and didn’t finish. The moral of the story…anybody can do this but you have to put the steps in. And even if you don’t finish, you got to the start line and that is the big part of the battle. Getting the race done is just a formality. Now even though I never finished my race, I did more that I ever thought I could possibly do. The journey has taught me so much about myself, my abilities, my inabilities and the power of suggestion, as well as mind over matter. I have made some great lifelong friends a long the way. I have become a stronger person because of this, physically and mentally. What do you really have to lose my trying? Nothing! You only have a world of new experienced to gain. In saying that, although I did not finish my race, I do not feel that I have failed. I have truly come to understand that you only fail when you fail to try. I have my medal for my short ½ marathon and I am darn proud of it.

Will I do this again? I really can’t say. I do struggle with the blisters that I just don’t think will ever go away…and I hurt today…...and to be honest with you, I like to walk now…..which is something I could NEVER say before. I enjoy walking 2-3 miles now…..not so sure about 13.1…..but I gotta tell you, this experience has been life changing for me…..so should you see me out on a ½ marathon course, don’t be surprised.

In a nutshell that is what I have to share form this. I really do think that for those of you comptemplating the Disney Half, just do it!! You have nothing to lose. Should you get swept, you have a great experience to look back on and learn from. Chances are you will have made some life long friends along the way too. And most important, you will find out things about you that you never knew about you! You will find some things you like and some things you hate….but you will find that no matter what, you can do it!! So don’t hold back, do what you can do and be proud of you!

I am proud of me today…..and that is not something I have ever before easily been able to say. Enjoy the journey and in the words of a friend,
Waddle On!!!

:paw: :paw: :paw: :paw: :paw: :dog2:

Liz

Great work yesterday. You should be proud of your commitment, work, effort, and result.

I believe so much in effort in everything we do. It's so easy to not enter, not try, not reach for something we'd like to achieve. Too many people do just that and let life pass them by.

You, on the other hand, reached for it. So you didn't get all 13.1? I don't care. You did 9! Think about that, you did 9! What would your reaction have been in January if someone told you that on August 7 you would walk 9 miles?

Respect of ones peers is the most valuable commodity in the world, because it is not given easily, it must be earned. You Liz have earned my respect many times over.

No chance of seeing you at WDW on January 7 :teeth: ?

Craig

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter