Week of Aug 7 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

Cam, sounds like you are really making great progress.Congrats!

Liz, hope the running store has great advice for you. DH has the WIDE foot thing and it is a challenge to get him fitted. I think finally the manufacturers are realizing the need for this as recently it seems the problem has not been as serious as before. Hope you have lots of choices and lots of success.

Hi, all!
Carrie -- good luck on the airfare thing. Any progress yet? We are waiting for Southwest to realize dates beyond December 12. I really just want to get it booked so that everything is in place and I can focus on dieting and training.

Lily -- Thanks! A compliment from you makes my day! Actually, any compliment makes my day, but you are so sweet to be so supportive!

As for the shoe thing -- a couple of things I have learned. I have walked in shoes that feel snug on my toes and my new shoes that have plenty of room, and neither improves the black toe situation. Also, our marathoner friend has them too and doesn't believe anything for certain prevents them.

Lastly -- when I was looking for shoes recently, I found that men's regular width shoes are the same as women's wide width, so buying a man's shoe is an option if you can't find a wide one in the women's section. They did have some nice color schemes (though no purple that I saw! ;))

Have I mentioned how much I LOVE my new shoes? They are New Balance 1122. Very roomy and cushy! I have learned to tie them using the lock lace technique, because, just my luck, the only "skinny" part of my body is my heels :rotfl: . So, I lace them loose across the front and top, and lock the laces to help keep my heel from sliding out on every step!

Okay, back to earning my keep. Happy training, WISH buddies! :cool1:

:cool1: Booked airfare. Arriveing Firday night. Better start studying where to cheer for the half! Oh, dh informed me that w ecould do teh Goofy now. NOT!!!!! Maybe another time, but running the full is my goal. I'm not going to mess with it. I'll be support team on Saturdat. :cheer2:

Carrie- You will have to let us know where to look for you. You can find the course map online at www.disneyworldmarathon.com.

Anyone still interested in coordinated shirts so that we can identify ourselves as WISHers?

TXBelle said:
Carrie- You will have to let us know where to look for you. You can find the course map online at www.disneyworldmarathon.com.

Anyone still interested in coordinated shirts so that we can identify ourselves as WISHers?
Yes, We probably need to get on thsi soon. I'll go start a poll on the main board.

Ughh. I am wimping out BIG TIME. Blah, blah, blah

Today was only my second run of the week :scared1: bringing my weekly mileage up to 10.5! I've been doing plenty of cross-training but I don't know what's up with the running. Mostly the stupid *&$#@ heat and humidity. According to weather.com it is supposed to "feel like" 82 by 9AM tomorrow. So my long run might be blah, just like today's 5.1 miles.
acyuck.gif

As for black toe nails, no toe nails. My second toe's nail on my right foot used to go black and fall off from time to time. I think since I switched to the Asics Cumulus I haven't had too much trouble. I'm not sure, though, I keep them covered in nail polish ;) Its hard to get shoes to fit properly. My left foot is exactly a 9, my right foot is just under a 9 1/2. So I go with 9 1/2.

I was at Bob's yesterday. They are having a 20% off on shoes, but they didn't have my size of Cumulus. I was mad. DD & I shopped all day from 10AM to 6PM but the only stuff I bought for myself was running clothes! Pretty soon I'll have to resort to wearing CoolMax to work, 'cause that's all I'll own.

Sunny

Speaking of gadgets. . . . yeah, you all know we are gadget geeks! Anyway, does anyone use "speed laces"? They look soooooo, hmmmm, ummmm, GADGETY! :rotfl: I just can't seem to avoid those really cool sites. Has anyone seen those runner ids with the cute pix on front and back? Oh, that's right, they also have such vital information on them as emergency contact, blood type, medication allergies, etc.

Sooo, what do you think of the speed laces?: see them here

Mel, thanks for that link. Could be fun.

Didja notice they also have a daily gear giveaway on their home page? hmm sounds interesting, but winner must be "present" to win I think. We could all look out for each other's names probably. :earsgirl:

Sunny, so sorry about the running wall you have hit and the no shoes thing. I need to go to the store to find new ones soon too. I'm hoping I won't feel bad b/c I can't find a pair I like.

I'm thinking something identifiable would certainly be a fun idea. I got noticed passing along the Contemporary hill by the lime green scarf I was carrying the entire way. That was fun to have someone shouting for me..."Hey WISHer!" Will hafta get to the what to wear thread I guess. I am wondering if we can carry lime green streamers, arm bands, ribbons, scarfs, shoe laces, ankle bands... or something such as that if the shirt idea doesn't lift off. Shirts with names on front and back in BIG letters is a great way for folks to see and cheer on us participants as well.

I think it is suposed to be raining all weekend here. Sigh, I meet up with the group in the a.m. and am helping out at a triathalon Sunday a.m. While we do indeed need rain, I'm hoping that the events go off without rain.

Those speed laces look pretty cool!!!

Well its 5:15AM and I'm heading out the door for my LR. Weathers been changed to say it will feel like 85 by 9AM so I better get my butt in gear.

The IC is in command until further notice....

Sunny

keenercam said:
Did a 5 minute warmup walk and then jogged the first 1 minute of every 5 minute interval, like this
0-5 -- walk
5-6 -- jog
6-10 -- walk
10-11 -jog
11-15 - walk
15-16 - jog
16-20- walk
21-22 - jog
22-25 walk
25-26 jog
26-30 walk
30-31 jog -- I hit 1.98 miles at 31 minutes.
cool down for a couple minutes after that.

I think that was about a 15:40 pace, but more important to me was that I was able to jog 6 x 1 minute. Haven't tried this in months (since my disastrous "abort" of the couch to 4K plan.

Happy training, all!

I did exactly the same routine again this morning, but ended up doing it a "smidge" faster so that I completed 2.03 in 30:59. Pace 15:16 -- slight improvement over Thursday. :) I was actually eager to get out this morning -- really wanted to see if I could do that again. :cool1:

I finished my 1st 5K today in 41:10! A new PR! It felt good, and I was able to run 3/walk 2 the whole way! You guys are right about them being addictive. I am already trying to schedule the next one. ;)

He all;

Congrats TXBelle on your 5K, good deal.

Sunny: It'll get better & the slump will pass. About a month 1/2 ago I couldn't get out of my own way past 5 miles. I gave it time, though & tried not to get too down on myself. You'll blow through this wall.

Today I did 10 miles @ a pace of 11 minute per mile.

Now I feel dead

Jodi

Congratulations, TXBelle!!!! Now you're hooked :) Way to go on the PR.

Thanks, Jodi, I know you're right. We all "slump" once and a while. Just hope I don't slump in January!

Cam, you rock! You are increasing speed and stamina at a grate rate. You go, girl :moped:

Well the heat and humidity were brutal this morning. It took my Forerunner 2 miles to lock onto satellites. I couldn't see more than 100 yards through the fog/haze. YUCK. I did 15 miles at a snail's pace. I drank about 6 lbs worth of fluids and still was 2 lbs lighter when I got home! Forget shoe puddles, I was a puddle. But I'm glad I got out there and racked up some mileage for this wimpy week.

Sunny

TxBelle-- congrats on your first 5K!!! :cool1: Glad you found the experience so enjoyable that you are willing to do it again! Your time was AWESOME!!!

Sunny -- I can't believe you did 15 miles in those conditions. Are you nuts? You amaze me and inspire me!

Jodi - congrats on doing 10 miles today. I can't even imagine what kind of shape you will be in just a couple of months from now!

So my "squishy" vacation is almost over---I have been spending the week not running (okay--ran once!)....and eating all sorts of evil things! Starting on Monday--training starts for me....and I love that first phase--all easy stuff!! Wahoooo!!!!

Went to kick off today and such a wonderful thing! Several teammates from last season are back so it will be fun to jog with friends again. :)

My training is as follows in the coming weeks:
Week Sat Sun Mon Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Tot

8/13/2005 SUN Rest MON 2 TUE Cross Train WED 2 THUR 2 FRI Rest TOTAL 6
8/20/2005 SAT 3 SUN Rest MON 2 TUE Cross Train WED Cross Train THU 2 FRI Rest TOTAL 7
8/27/2005 SAT 4 SUN Rest MON 2 TUE Cross Train WED Group Training THU 2 FRI Rest TOTAL 8
9/3/2005 SAT 4 SUN Rest MON 2 TUE Cross Train WED Cross Train THU 3 FRI Rest TOTAL 9
9/10/2005 SAT 4 SUN Rest MON 2 TUE Cross Train WED 2 THU 2 FRI Rest TOTAL 10

Saturdays are long days (though they don't look that long, do they?)---and always, the day before and day after are rest days.

(posting this--but will try to clean it up)

Liz, Lily, and Amanda I know I'm late checking in, but great job in Chicago!!! I loved the pictures!

Cam, those laces looked interesting. I just might have to try them.

I really feel like a wimp because I'm focusing on 2007 for the Disney half. I am pretty sure I could complete the distance, but I'd be so far over the time that I would never get the chance to finish. Besides, I don't plan on much of a training program for the next month or so except for our move to our new house. I do plan to look for a 5K after we get moved. Ill see how that goes as far as pace, and if the entries are still open then maybe..... Otherwise it's 2007 for me.

Hello everyone!
I've been helping mom with garage sale this week so I've been out of commission(she lives 6 hrs from me) but the good news is we made some good money to help pay for my marathon trip.

Also-she has signed up for the 1/2 marathon too!!

I am having a difficult time trying to decide where to stay. Where are you guys staying? We dont usually stay onsite so I've been trying to justify a deluxe (WL or AKL) but my pocketbooks says "whoa" especially if I dont know for sure codes will be coming out. Are you guys going down early & going to the parks at all? I was thinking about coming down Tues. & going to MK Wed. Then Thur & Fri just hang out.DTD & other stuff in Orlando. I love that town!

Any opinions would be great.

As for training: Mom & I walked 2 miles Fri night in 32 min. That is almost a 15 min mile! Also the first 5 min & last 10 we were going slower. Now all I have to do is sustain it for 3 hrs :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!