Week of Oct 2 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

Hey guess what????

I just discovered I placed in the Applefest Top 10 Fillies!!!! I was number 8 :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

:cheer2: :cheer2: Sunny :cheer2: :cheer2:

As for the Mickey head I love the design but I am worried about having it screened on the shirts. I wanted to have something with Mickey on it done by a local shop and they refused because it is copywrited. We might want to have a backup logo in place in case this occurs.

Great work!

Sunny - FAB! pictures!!!!! I especially love the one where you are surronded by men!!! Congrats on your top 10 finish! That is excellent! I love the shirt ideas.

Did my long run today. I am doing as many as I can on thursday as the boy is in preschool from 8-12 and i am trying not to interfere with my family's schedule too much! My marathon mean girl, EC, runs all of the long runs with me. That should tell you something about her... she is going to train for goofy with me but is not going to do it!!! That is insane. This weekend is the 100 mile bike ride. (I don't think I'm going to die, but I do anticipate some definite misery!!!!!)

Today's run was 13 miles at 9:58 pace. We did walk a couple of times and had 1 pee in the field stop. We also stopped at about 4 traffic lights! I was really happy with that pace as it is a tiny bit better than the 1/2mar that I ran in Feb! I think I have decided that I am going to add walking into all of my long runs as it seems to break up the muscle group useage. I am not sure if I want to walk 1minute out of 15 or just walk water stops. I'm leaning toward water stops but am not sure. Anyone have any opinions regard that?

Keenercam - sorry about your bad experiences today! I am just not in the grove yet either. Every time I get out there, I'm thinking "now why am I doing this???"

Melissa -- If I were training for Goofy, I'd be wondering a whole lot more than "now why am I doing this?" !!!!! What an amazing quest!

Sunny -- CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Awesome news!!! :cheer2:

I LOVE the designs but I have heard of Disney taking issue with people using their licensed logos. I really like the ones you did with the runners/walkers. Those were so classy and snazzy, too. I am really impressed with your creativity! Thank you for taking the time to create them!

Morning all - just wanted to congratulate sunny on her placing, that's great. I had a similar experience to Bree (or was it Krista) on Wednesday night, went to go do my hour and it was sheet rain out there so was very naughty - decided to do my 3 miles instead on the treadmill, then went down to running club for the beer afterwards! Did my hour last night in sunshine instead. Mind you, they say we're going to have a wetter than average spring here (and it rains most days this time of year anyway) so I don't think I'm going to escape every soaking this year. Wish me luck this weekend, I'm going to attempt to get into the Guinesss Book of Records. My boyfriend has an MX5 car, and this weekend is the New Zealand attempt to get the most MX5s in a row. I told you it was a small country with nothing to do!!! Helen

Nutrional Information---HERE IT IS.

I have also added it permanently to the FAQ, so if you lose it--just go up to that post to read about it.

I am NOT a nutritionist--so for more specific guidelines for your particular needs, consulting your doctor or a sports nutritionist would be best.

NUTRITION AND HYDRATION INFORMATION:
I am not a nutritionist. This information is from handouts from Brevard County Team in Training Nutrition Clinic on October 4, 2005—power point presentation from local nutritionist and article from the Gatorade Sports Science Institute (www.gssiweb.com) and includes advices from my coaches. For more specific needs, consult a sports nutritionist (familiar with athletic nutritional needs) or your doctor.

Estimated Calories necessary:

Athlete (What most of us are by now):
Body Weight (In pounds) x 20

Regular Exercise (300/calories per day)
Body Weight x 15

Sedentary (may or may not be your rest days—up to you! Remember—you are fueling all week for those long days)
Body Weight x 13

Ultra-Endurance Athlete (the BIG Dawgs!)
Body Weight x 30

You daily caloric intake is very important as on your long runs—it will soon become impossible to have a solid positive intake versus expense of calories. (On our 20 mile day, we burned 2000 calories last year….on the day of the marathon, I estimated that I burned about 3000+ calories—it will be impossible and not advise to have a regular net calorie intake that day. I. E. If you consume regularly 2000 calories…you would have to consume roughly 4000-5000 calories on those long days to compensate and maintain a net regular intake. That is neither necessary—or really possible…it is what you do during the week that will help offset that.)

How your calories should be distributed:
HIGH CARB—60-70% of your calories should be carbs.
That is 5 to 7 grams of carb per KG of body weight (divide weight in pounds by 2.2 to get your KG).

For a more specific guideline:
Exercise less than 1 hour---consume 6g of carb per kg of weight that day.
Intense exercise of 1-4 hours—consume 9-10g of carb per kg of weight that day.
Intense exercise in excess of 4 hours—consume 11-12 g of carb per kg of weight that day.

PROTEIN
You should consume 1.5 grams of protein for KG of body weight each day.

CARBOHYDRATES AND ENDURANCE:
[/U
]Carbohydrate is the body’s “energy powerhouse” that fules muscles for training and competitions and is essential to building glycogen stores and providing long-haul energy that is important in endurance events.
CONSUMPTION (aka CARB “LOADING”):
Carbohydrate intake for long days and day of event (practice for the long runs and try nothing new on race day):

Overnight fasting (aka—you are sleeping and not eating) depletes your glycogen stores by 80%.

Liver glycogen is a major source of Blood glucose and can impair major performance in events >60 minutes or which realy heavily on glucose.

CARB LOADING:

Maintain a high carb diet as described above throughout training. Minimum of 3-days rest (no workouts—not being lazy) before event while still maintaining a high carb diet.
For each gram of carbohydrate stored—additional water is stored..the increased weight and a feelling of stiffness…subsides with exercise. This is beneficial for only events in excess of 90 minutes.

As far as Carb “Loading”—maintaining proper nutrition throughout training is more important than stuffing yourself with pasta the night before your event. Whatever you have been doing the days and evenings before long days throughout training should be mimicked and nothing new attempted. If you didn't eat 10 bowls of pasta and 10 cookies the night before your 20 miler...don't do it before the marathon. :teeth:

MEAL BEFORE EVENT (AKA Breakfast): Aim for 1-4.5 grams of Carbo per KG of weight 1-4 hours before respectively (basically—eat breakfast or something before your event—suggested time frame is a good 2-3 hours before). If on long runs, you do not get up this early—set the alarm, wake up and eat and go back to sleep until it is time to wake up for your workout. When you start training is a good time to start practicing this. By the time your workouts exceed 6-8 miles, it is very important to be practicing this. Race day morning is not the time to try eating breakfast for the first time.

1 HOUR BEFORE EVENT: Have 1 gram CARB per KG of weight. Experiment with what works (I’ve gone as simple as having a GU…drinking a sports drink works as well). If Hypoglycemic, try low glycemic index foods or delay until 5 minutes before event.

Keep in mind that for the meal and for the pre-event your carbs can be in a combination forms to include GEL, Sports Drink, and food in the form of grains and fruit. IF you are of the population that just cannot eat anything at all—try a slim fast or carnation breakfast drink or any LIQUID form of nourishment to get in your carbs.

DURING THE EVENT/ACTIVITY in excess of 1 hour:
Carbs provide glucose to muscles and prolongs time to fatigue. AS muscles run out of glucose, they rely on liver glycogen which depletes and causes a drop in blood glucose. May feel like hypoclycemia, but usually feels like fatigue with a need to slow down. Carbohydrate feedings help maintain blood glucose as opposed to actually spareing muscle glycogen.

Consume 30-60 grams carbo per hour—liquid or solid.
5-10 oz sports drink every 15-20 minutes provides this amount of carbo.
Eat or drink BEFORE feeling tired.
Avoid fructose (I think this means fruit juices and such—the oranges and bananas offered during the event are actually good for you and necessary).

CARB REPLACEMENT DAY OF THE EVENT, after crossing the finish line:
You need to replenish glycogen stores.

It is best to eat within 2 hours of the event when there is greater blood flow to muscles and greater sensitivity to insulin.

If you wait more than 2 hours there is a 66% decrease in repletion.

Consume 1.5grams carb per KG of body weight in first half hour. And repeat every 2 hours thereafter. Can be simple or complex carbs, liquid or solid.

HYDRATION
For non-exercising adult, 8 cups/day is necessary. As athletes, we need more.

Weigh before and after each workout—for each pound lost, replace with 20 ounces of water (in addition to the 8 cups). Urine should be pale in color.

Hydrate during the week before the event---do not forget to drink water.

1-2 hours before event, drink 16-32 ounces (2-4 cups).
15-30 minutes before: drink 8-16 ounces.
If possible drink fluids throughout the night before.

At the event—my coach personally recommends….go to the bathroom 3-4 times. Once you finish, go out and get back in line and repeat until you have gone about 4 times. This will reduce the need for last minute potty stops before the event (but this is not guaranteed) as your body is dealing with all that water.

During the event—drink 6-8 ounces every 15-20 minutes.

Caffeine free, nonalcoholic is best—though if you have had your coffee every morning all season—you will need it on race day.

DEHYDRATION
Mild: General fatigue, loss of appetite, flushed skin, light headed, dark and scant urine, heat intolerance.

Advanced: Numb skin, delirium, sunken eyes, shriveled skin, clumsiness

Cannot rely on thirst as a gauge.

Sports drinks increase thirst.

HYPONATREMIA:
“Drink to replace sweat; don’t overrink. If you run more slowly and stop for MORE fluid breaks, you run the risk of overhydrating. This occurs when an athlete takes in too much fluid and sodium levels in blood drop too low.

Very important to supplement your fluid intake with sports drink if possible—mixing it with water if necessary.”

Also—our coaches have us consume one salt packet (like what you would get at McD’s) towards the end—about 2/3 of the way through.

Very important to replace sodium lost during workout (OP commentary: that’s gritty stuff on your face is salt from your body) Especially if you are a heavy cramper. Salting foods regularly and eating salty (but healthy) snacks will help. IN GENERAL…endurance athletes should not follow a low-sodium diet.

Sweat rate: How much weight you lose in fluid ounces + how much you consume during exercise is how much you SHOULD dirnk to replace sweat fluid losses.”

Wow Lisa! You had busy fingers. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Sunny! :banana: :banana: :banana: Way to go!

Bree - I would be teh definition of UnDisney under those circumstances! Glad you made it through so well!

Lisa -- That is absolutely fascinating. Thank you for all your time and effort in getting this information to us! :grouphug:

Bree - I think you have given me the quote to describe my training moods. At least I'll have something to make me smile when I don't feel very "disney" here either!!! :rotfl2:

We started out our 13 miles in the rain today too. It was not pouring, and it stopped shortly after we began. It was cold and windy though. I was just happy I wasn't riding my road bike today (never thought I would say that!!!!)

I had a feeling the mickey head was out :(

Wow Lisa, thanks! I think we need to take a class to get to the finish line. That's alot of information. I guess its time to get out the calculator and start crunching numbers! I like the idea of setting the alarm to eat and going back to bed, somehow it seems almost "Pooh like" :rotfl:

OK, if we can't have a mickey head, is the majority settled on the runners logo or would you like a couple more to choose from? (I was a graphic designer in my former life, its fun to play again).

Sunny

Sunny - The runners logos were awesome. DOn't let em stop you if you're on a creative roll, though. ;)

plutosmyfav said:
I like the idea of setting the alarm to eat and going back to bed, somehow it seems almost "Pooh like" :rotfl:

Only Pooh is a true athlete. He requires no alarm. :rotfl2: The honey just speaks to him.

If anyone needs help crunching numbers--let me know...I'll post my equation for you to use as a model.

Congrats on your race Sunny! Way to go! :cheer2: :cheer2:

Christa: Thanks for the info. I'll check out the Charlotte site.

Lisa: That was a lot of typing. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

Terri

Wheee! We are a busy group.

Sunny, thank you sooo much for your logo work. I will be good for whatever is created. We will all be wearing it, so it will be great whatever works! Congratulations on your placing.

Lisa, thank you for your work on the nutrition. It is very helpful to me.

Who asked the question about what to wear in the cooler time...wear your tights, or as Liz so correctly named them "sausage pants." Who cares about stylin' when comfort is the main need. I wear shorts (compression/tights style) with long sleeved shirts until I cannot wear them and then go to leggings again the tights style. I use the waistpack to "cover up" the added body baggage I sport about, and if I can get a t-shirt that is a bit longer I would use it. You could always wear some sort of shorts over top, but I definitely need those tights to avoid the chaffing.

Sorry about the stonker that was had today. Hey at least you were out there trying.

Sorry about running in the rain today. Hey at least you were out there trying.

Sorry about being forced inside to TM....Hey eyyyyewww I hate the TM.

Had a beautiful weather day today. I had a barium breakfast for a medical test procedure today...barium swallow test. Afterwards I went for a nice trail trek and managed 5 miles in 1 hr 15 min. It was hot and I did struggle. Didn't have a real breakfast either, so I will take it. Stayed home from work and nursed a nasty headache for most of the rest of my day. I am finally feeling better.

If we want lime green shirts, I recommend that we contact http://alertshirt.com and find out how much it would be to print the logo on their lime green coolmax t-shirts. The t-shirts themselves are just $7.99. They will personalize the shirts with our logo. I just don't know how much that will be. I will call them today and post the information.

Sunny- You look great in the Applefest photos! I especially love the photo where you are ahead of all the men. Way to finish 8th in your group! :banana:

I am back on my training schedule. I did 50 minutes r/w on Monday. I did 40 minutes of xt on Tuesday. Rest day on Wednesday, and 50 minutes r/w yesterday. I am going to try to get my 30 min. of xt in tonight. Tomorrow is 6 miles. The cold front finally came through, and I cannot wait to run in 65 degree temps! What a difference from the 85 to 90 degree temps I have been running in. I wish I could give advice on cold weather gear to Minnie, but I am afraid I don't ever get to experience it. ;)

To everyone who feels like they are in a little slump, this is normal. We have been training for this race for a long time. Last year, I went through the exact same thing in August and September. I went through a similar phase this August and September. Last October, I was able to get back in training mode, and I am back on track now. Just keep getting those miles in. As the date gets closer, you will get excited about training again, and you will be glad that you kept up the pace even when you did not feel like it.

ARRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I am so frustrated with these boards!!! I just wrote a huge, long post and went to submit it and it told me I wasn't logged in. If I wasn't logged in, then how in the world did I get to the "post a reply" screen? So then I lost my huge post--not happy!! :badpc: :badpc:

So anyway to summarize, I did 35 minutes last night, it wasn't that great of a run (well r3/w2). The first 11 minutes were rough as my ankle brace was bothering my foot--I can't wait until I get used to wearing that thing. I was in front of my house, so I sat on the driveway to fix my brace. I finally got it in a comfortable spot and my next 13 minutes were awesome, I found a nice rhythm and everything was going pretty good. Then my stomach growled (and we all know that once you feel hungry, it's too late) and my energy level took a huge nose dive. I really struggled with my last 8 minutes because of my stomach, my ankle, and the heat (so glad that we have a cold front coming through!!). I finished with 2.97 miles, I wasn't thrilled about my pace, but at least it was over with!! I have a whopping 3 miles for my lr tomorrow and since it's only supposed to be in the 50's, I can sleep in a little bit--I don't have to worry about getting up early to do a lr in before it gets too hot.

Bree--It looks like we're going to have to wait until January to meet. I think our plane leaves at 5:00, so we need to leave for the airport at 2:30. Have a great vacation though!! Your story made me laugh! I'm quite the diva (or drama queen as Stephen likes to call me), so I could totally relate!! :teeth:

Lisa--Thank you so much for all the nutrition information, I really needed to see that!! I eat pretty healthy, but my big problem is with pop. I drink at least 4 cans of Diet Coke a day!! I know, I know--I'm SO bad!! I need to start pumping the water.

Sunny--Awesome work on the WISH shirts! You are quite the artist! I am so jealous of anyone who has artistic talent, as I have none!! By the way, you look great running the half. Don't ever let anyone tell you that you aren't a "real" runner, as you can run circles around them!!

Crossing my fingers that my post goes through!! :wizard: Happy training everyone and good luck on your lr's!!

Krista princess:

Good morning everyone,

Does everyone remember when Craig said words to the effect of not going out to fast or you'll pay for it in the end? Well I learned that lesson last night. I was so suprised to see a fellow runner on the road last night that I fell ito step with him. Thankfully he was on his way home or I would have litteraly had to been scouped up off the road. All I can say is on my way back home I was utterly miserable. That'll teach me to stay at my own pace! I think it was good for me though to see how important it is to stay at my own slow wogging pace and not get caught up in the "race" come January.

Today is supposed to be a ct day so I'm thinking about trying out a pilates dvd. My sciatica is hurting again this am so maybe the stretching will help that. Tomorrow is lr day but it is only 3 miles this week. Cooler weather also means I can sleep in before heading out on the road :teeth:

BTW - Thanks for the cool weather running advise. I have to get something for my arms because last night I froze :cold:

Hope everyone has great LR this weekend!

Minnie-- Great observation! I think if at all possible, everyone should try out at least one 5K before race day (if you've never raced) to feel the excitement and temptation of "going with the flow" and forgetting your own internal pace. I had a miserable 10K because I started out too fast! Its tricky!

Here is the information from Alertshirts:

The shirts (sleeveless, tanks, short sleeves) are $7.99. A one color logo for at least 24 shirts is an $2.50 front or back. There is also a $30 one time screen charge. We can mix items so everyone can get the style of shirt they would like.

I have e-mailed back to find out about the cost for a 2 or 3 color logo. I will post the information when I receive it.

plutosmyfav said:
Minnie-- Great observation! I think if at all possible, everyone should try out at least one 5K before race day (if you've never raced) to feel the excitement and temptation of "going with the flow" and forgetting your own internal pace. I had a miserable 10K because I started out too fast! Its tricky!

This is where I enjoy my friend Garmin--I can immediately see if I am running too fast. Often with the excitement---it sometimes doesn't feel fast even though it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter