Week of Oct 2 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

Hey all! You must have sent some great :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: because it only drizzled a little while we ran today. As you know, we did double LRs (7 yesterday and 14 today) so we took it kind of slow. Our average was like 10.17 min mile. Our route is very hilly so I am OK with this time. By the end, I was STARVING, so Bree and I went and ate a ton of sushi. :love: I love to eat! I am glad to get this out of the way, but I know 8 & 16 is the next double. :scared1: :faint: :scared:
Oh well, I have 2 weeks until that.

TxBelle - Love the lime green shirt idea!

Minnie - I have gone out too fast b/4. I agree with, Sunny, that it is good to get a race under your belt b/4 to see how to pace yourself. It is very tricky.

Later,
Christa

Lisa loves Pooh said:
This is where I enjoy my friend Garmin--I can immediately see if I am running too fast. Often with the excitement---it sometimes doesn't feel fast even though it is.

Exactly!!!! I wonder how people ran at all before Garmin :rotfl2: I mean, temp runs, pace runs, pacing during a race, geesh, those were the dark ages!!!!

Heather-- great news on the shirts. I think we could have a very nice shirt with just one color logo if the price for more colors is prohibitive. I think getting lime green is well worth switching vendors. What is the processing time (i.e., by when should we be all decided and ready to order?)

OK, I lied about resting my legs before a LR. I did an easy 5.5 mile run today at lunchtime. I'll do upper body weights after work. As I was running and realized I was negating my post about resting the legs I remembered that i have done this quite a few times. I have also done my Fridy runs late afternoon (4-5PM) with my LR 5:30 AM the next morning. I'm not recommending it, but the only negative I have experienced is slower pace.

But I will try to stick to the "rest the legs" the day before from now on!

Here's the price information on the two color logo: $7.99 for the shirt, plus $4.00 for the logo. In addition, there is a one-time screen charge of $70.00 that we would all share. I forgot to ask about the processing time. :rolleyes:

plutosmyfav said:
I didn't know if we are allowed to use the mickey head (Disney's pretty touchy about their stuff). Are we?

I had to pull out my DisBoard shirt. It has the three circle, traditional hidden-mickey shape on it, but inside a box, so that the edges are cut-off. I don't know if that was on purpose, to disguise the fact that it is a Mickey.

It has been raining all day, and today was supposed to be my long run, but I couldn't face 75 minutes in a downpour, or worse, 75 minutes on the TM. I hope tomorrow dawns sunny.

I can neither confirm nor deny the story that Carrie posted is why my trip to Ottawa was cancelled. :)

I can't seem to get motivated lately for some reason. :rolleyes: Sometimes when I have slow weeks I take the opprtunity to do absolutely nothing (sigh). My long run WILL get done, though-- either today or tomorrow. I can't tell whether or not it's going to rain here or not right now so I am kind of on a holding pattern.

Sounds like everyone else is doing wonderfully, though. Keep up the good work!!

I'll check back in to report after my run!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

TXBelle said:
Here's the price information on the two color logo: $7.99 for the shirt, plus $4.00 for the logo. In addition, there is a one-time screen charge of $70.00 that we would all share. I forgot to ask about the processing time. :rolleyes:
I think that is well worth the $$. Thanks for checking into this. :sunny:

Solo - Good luck on that LR. I understand the feeling. I DID NOT want to run today either. But once I got into it, I was glad I tried.

Christa

WHEW!!! Just up from my nap and post LR shower. I got home and crashed instead of heading straight to shower.

We did 14 this morning after running 7 yesterday and this is how I feel ----> :faint: . We were blessed with less rain but it was still very yucky and huimd out, it actaully felt better when it drizzled. It was so humid that we sweat through our clothes before it ever started raining. And it wasn't that cool athlete sweat, it was the gross you out slimey sweat, You know what I'm talking about, the kind that looks like consdensation on your skin. Christa gave me some sort of "Bill Nye" answer as to why this happens but that was so long ago I forgot what she said. Running all that way just sucked the memory right out of my head. :rolleyes:
We finished in good time, but as we were running up the last BFH (that's Big Freakin Hill) we both decided that we were hungry. Christa looks at me and (ok get your best cookie monster impersonation in your mind) says SUSHI!!!!!
Whoa!!! Ok big curly headed scary girl is hungry, and sushi sounds like a good thing so...hey I'll drive. So we change into dry clothes and head to the local sushi bar up the road. Yes we were stinky but who cares, we don't need to sit near anyone anyway :snooty:

Ok let me pause for a moment to "get my rant on"....Christa and I are both members of the Y, it's by far the nicest gym in town with all sorts of amenities, but why oh why for goodness sake does it seem that every time I go into the locker room there is some woman walking around completely naked? I mean no towel, just shower shoes. ( that's an image for ya huh?) I do not begrudge anyone the right to excersise, but for crying out loud when there are 200 FREE CLEAN towels lying about the locker room why wouldn't someone put one around themselves when they are walking from the shower to their locker? I get shell shocked every time I go to change clothes, b/c some women is walking through (I'm talkin the whole length) the room naked. I get so embarrased, because all I can think is naked stranger, naked stranger, naked stranger!!! :scared1: :scared1: Seriously here, I am not trying to be mean or hurtful, I just don't want to see a bunch of naked strangers every time I go to the Y........maybe I should go and introduce myself and then they won't be strangers. :rotfl: Am I just WAYYYYY too modest??

Anyway, on with my post...
Heather - I like the lime green shirt idea and the price doesn't sound too bad at all. If we get something printed on the front and back we need to be sure that it's high enough on the front that our bib numbers won't cover it. Maybe the W.I.S.H. logo would be good on the front and our little "phrase" on the back.

Krista - Oh that stinks that we're going to just miss each other this month. You be sure to tell Mickey when you get there that I am not far behind you and I'll come to see him as soon as I can... :earboy2:

I hope you all have a great LR this week if you haven't done yours yet.

Hey folks if you haven't noticed....we are about to come upon the 90 day mark of MARATHON WEEKEND!!!!! :hourglass I for one am very excited.

later
~bree~

zoegirl said:
...but why oh why for goodness sake does it seem that every time I go into the locker room there is some woman walking around completely naked? I mean no towel, just shower shoes. (that's an image for ya huh?) I do not begrudge anyone the right to excersise, but for crying out loud when there are 200 FREE CLEAN towels lying about the locker room why wouldn't someone put one around themselves when they are walking from the shower to their locker? I get shell shocked every time I go to change clothes, b/c some women is walking through (I'm talkin the whole length) the room naked. I get so embarrased, because all I can think is naked stranger, naked stranger, naked stranger!!! :scared1: :scared1: Seriously here, I am not trying to be mean or hurtful, I just don't want to see a bunch of naked strangers every time I go to the Y........maybe I should go and introduce myself and then they won't be strangers. :rotfl: Am I just WAYYYYY too modest??...~bree~
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: DS#2 was singing this same tune when he went this year to our gym. I've not seen it in the women's area while I am there, but I guess it occurs everywhere.
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: Sorry, I can't help the laughter.

Christa, glad you only had drizzle.

Krista, glad to hear you are making progress. Hope that bracing issue doesn't come up often.

lacool, sorry about that rain thing. I was just talking with my coworker about TM or going out in the rain as it is raining here today too. I told her if I were going, I would be out in the rain today not TM. Our rain was not downpour though. So anyway, she looked at me as if I left the planet. I hope you get out there on your lr this weekend w/o rain.

Minnie, you are so lucky to realize the problem this early. Good going!

TXBelle thanks for checking.

I am thinking that my "cheering" team might order a shirt. I am sure even if they are not participating IN the event, that since they are participating with me they might wear the shirt. Anyone else think their family might wear the shirt?

bree -- I know what you mean. At the Y I go to, it's the same way. Wrap a towel around ya, I say, - that's what they're there for :rolleyes:

As for my training, none today or yesterday. Yesterday was a rest day. Today, it's been raining almost all day and I got stuck at work. Since I've had this nagging groin/quad strain, I thought I'd give it an extra day to rest. I'm planning on a 5-miler tomorrow.

Terri

Lisa's tip of the day----COUNT YOUR STEPS!!! I did not believe my coach last year--didn't believe him this year...UNTIL this morning.

Walkers should be at 70 steps per minute (per foot) and runners at 90 steps per minute (per foot). You accomplish this by taking SHORTER steps....not more longer ones. It will feel foolish--I felt like a looney tune on steroids trying to shuffle along....though I have been affirmed that I looked just fabulous (but of course!). I got to 90....I went from a 13:42 pace 2 weeks ago to a 12:55 pace today and that is with 3:1 intervals. Now some of that is the fact we didn't run the bridge--but with the bridge I was at 4:1, so that is an impressive improvement.

Count your steps--and work on getting close to the 70 or 90 per your activity. If counting for a minute is hard, just count for 30 seconds (35 steps for walkers and 45 steps for runners).

Now here is why this is important:

With every step (at least for running)--you impact with 3x your body weight with each step. The longer the stride (and the less steps you take)--the more in the air you are between steps--and the more weight/stress you are place on your legs (ahem--KNEES!). Shortening the steps does a few things: It increases the turnover rate, gives you less time in the air, and it lessens the impact and reduces the risk of injury and strain to your knees and other parts of your leg.

And here's the best part--at least for me anyway....I was not running fast--but I felt like I was zipping along (though as a zippy turtle) and it did not feel fatiguing to me.

If you are several steps away from 90 (or 70)...make a goal in the workout to shorten the strides to increase the amount of steps you take. It may take one or two workouts--it may take several.....but you will eventually get to 90. As training progresses and as your walking or running regime continues on well past Disney....you will notice as you get stronger, that your strides will naturally get longer...(a clue is that your step counts start going above your goal....time to lengthen the stride a little bit). Your body will then be telling you it is ready to take bigger steps.

Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase BABY steps.

If you are a mortal--and want to get FASTER...the key is to step shorter--and not reaching as far as you can with your foot.

Happy Training!!!

Thanks for the advice Lisa. For some reason, I thought I was supposed to be taking longer strides. Good to know that my short steps really are best. I did my long run this morning in 60 degree cloudy weather. HEAVEN! I did 6 miles in 1:25, and it felt good. My legs ache a little now, but going 6 miles was almost effortless. Who knew that all of this training would actually pay off? :rotfl:

I started WW at work yesterday. I am counting points and planning my grocery list for the week. I finally feel like I am getting some control over my life.

Were your ears burning? I was talking about everyone today as if we were old friends. I was telling some women at a birthday party about training for the marathon. One of the ladies said that she gets so winded when she runs. I told her that was common and explained how some women in my training group had trouble with even running a short distance but have slowly built up to longer runs mixed with walking. I told her to start slowly and the most important thing was just to start. It was fun to talk about my training group. I didn't mention that I only know you via the internet. Hey, what does that matter? We train together and support each other. Doesn't that make us a training group? Here's to all of my friends who have had the courage to start! :cheer2:

Wow! What a difference 30 degrees makes!! My lr today was 3 miles, I finished in 33:35--my pace was 11:11!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: I was thrilled! Frozen, but thrilled! :Pinkbounc I love seeing how everything is coming together. I had a dream the other night about the half marathon, I dreamt that I was running through Cinderella Castle--it was a very good dream!! :cloud9:

Heather--Thanks for all of your hard work with the shirts (and Carrie and Sunny). I won't run in the shirt because I don't want to run in something new and I already have my outfit planned out, but I will definitely wear one on Sunday to support all of the full marathoners.

Lisa--Thanks for more running info. What would we do without you?? I am a baby stepper. When I first started taking such small steps, it felt really uncomfortable, like I was crawling, but now that I'm used to it, I find that I can run faster and for longer periods of time.

Bree and Christa--Sushi, huh? Interesting!! :fish:

I'm going to get off here, Stephen and I are going to see "In Her Shoes", I LOVED the book, I hope the movie is good. Good luck to everyone that still has to their lr.

Oh, Stephen says hi. He ran 10 miles this morning and then played 18 holes of golf. Does that count as cross training?? :teeth:

Krista princess:

Heather we are definately a training group :grouphug: :cheer2:
When I tell people what I am doing almost always the first question is "how did you get started in that?" Now only people closest to me know exactly how attatched(a.k.a. obsessed) with WDW I am. And only my best friend knows about the Disboards, so I get some funny looks when I tell them my friends on the Disboards got me interested in it and we are meeting up the night before and none of us have ever met and we are all Disney fanatics. Then I have to explain what the Disboards is. I have learned to shorten my story so as to avoid some people thinking I'm absolutly dillusional.

Had my 30 min walk today. 14:31 pace. Now if I can just maintain that tomorrow for my 5 miles I will be thrilled!!!

I woke up not feeling well this am and still feel off so I am putting my lr off until tomorrow am. It will be my 1st lr in a while so I want to get it off on the right foot. No matter what I will get it done!

I picked up a Champion dry fit long sleve shirt as my arms froze earlier this week. I just couldn't force myself to buy those running tights so it will be either shorts or yoga pants for now.

Heather - Without this "team" there is no way in the world I would be where I am today. I depend on the fact that I have to report my training here to get my rear on the road even when I don't want to. The help and support I have found here truly is priceless!

Happy training everyone!

Thanks for the info Lisa. I'll try that on my next wog. I had to laugh a little when I saw you mention counting steps. I do that all the time when I run. Not how many steps in a minute, but how many steps to a certain point.
If I'm doing laps on the track, I'll count how many steps it takes to go one full lap. If I'm on the street I'll pick a point way up ahead and see how many steps to reach that point. It takes my mind off thinking about how far I'm going and i just focus on the count.

When I mentioned that to a friend of mine, she looked at me like I was crazy. (I had said it was 1450 steps from point A to B).
Sometimes if I'm having a tough day, I'll run and count to, say, 500 steps, then I'll walk a few, then run and count again. That works better for me than trying to walk a certain # of minutes and then run. I found I was looking at my watch too much to keep track of the time.

But, whatever works! :)

Terri

Hi, eveyone! It was torrential rain for us here and a band competition that got moved indoors and a very early morning cross country meet that got cancelled at the event in the pouring rain, so no walking until tonight, and then it was on the TM, which I am coming to despise, though I imagine I will be grateful for that option as the weather worsens.

Glad to have the 2 mile LW done for the week. Tomorrow is Howard's 15K and I am looking forward to cheering him on. I think this puts him way ahead of schedule for the 1/2, but he keeps pushing himself because he hopes to do a full in May.

Not much more to report. Cross training last night was recumbent bike. I am going to have to come up with some ideas for CT. Do WATP tapes count?

Heather -- We are definitely a training group. I feel very encouraged and accountable because of you guys! And I LOVE that many of us are on the same training plan, so that we can all compare notes.

Lisa -- Thanks for the information on shorter faster steps. I am always so concerned about covering the distance (in the 5Ks that I am doing), that my strategy was obviously "off". I do find myself counting strides on the elliptical when I feel I just can't go another tenth of a mile. It really helps to think only 12 more strides or something like that.

Speaking of which -- can elliptical be CT? The one thing I know I won't be doing is ab crunches. My back is finally recovered -- not taking a chance

Hi everyone! I am so happy to have found this site.I am a long time Disser and am training for the 2006 full.My training is going well but since no one I know is a long distance runner,I really need some outside support and advice.Right now I have 2 questions that I cant find the answers to in any of my books and would appreciate any help.#1-I am actually a few weeks ahead in my training and am wondering how to space out my long runs so as not to lose ground.According to my training plan I should run my 14 mile lr tomorrow,16m 2 weks later,18m 2 weeks later and the final 20m 2 weeks after that.That puts me around 3 weeks ahead .This is my first marathon and I started early in case I was waylaid by injury,now Im not sure what to do :confused3 #2 It seems like every time I do a challenging tempo workout,I get an injury! My LR pace right now is about 11:00(I live in very hilly NE) and Im wondering how important the tempo runs are if Im satisfied with that pace.I understand that by running faster my LR pace feels easier and I agree with that,but I guess Im just prone to injury with speed! Thank you for any advice you can give me.Just reading the posts here has been incredibly helpful :wave2:

I would count back from marathon to see where you should be at--and then go with that week on the schedule (which I believe means backing up 3 weeks).

You'll repeat the weeks you just did--and then continue on from there. Join us on the new week if you like.

If you are prone to injury with speed--you may be too fast for your own good and may do well with easing up on your long runs---and still doing speed work per your training program during the week...but kicking the intensity down a notch.

ETA: Count your steps to make sure you are running at 90 steps per minute...if you are less than 90..your strides are too long which could also be making you prone to injury.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter