Week of Oct 23 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

Great pace, Mel :cheer2:

Colleen-- the Garmin has difficulty keeping signal in certain atmospheric conditions, plus if your route is under trees, near alot of tall buildings, etc. you can have trouble, too. When it loses signal, it calculates a straight line from the last time it had signal. So if your route had some twists and turns while your signal was out, then its going to undercalculate your distance when it resyncs. Its a pain!

Well we had the three seasons this weekend. Friday was Fall, Saturday was Winter and today is Spring :confused3 It snowed most of yesterday and today I was out doing yard work in a tank top. I'll take it, though!

Sunny

Mel--try posting a nonsense thread--and then when it posts...edit it with the info for the upcoming week.

I had to do that a few times with a thread that wouldn't post--posted something different and then edited it to say what I intended.

No idea what the hiccup is--but try it and see if it wokrs.

I did it - I beat last years time by 26 seconds. Finishing time was 2.09.28, can safely say I won't be running the marathon at that pace, I got to the point when the half and full split and just thought, what on earth have I done entering a full, I was having enough trouble racing the last 200 metres to beat my time, let alone the idea of running another 21km!!

So what did I learn yesterday - I definitely run okay on Powerade, the most important thing to take with you to the race start is loo roll, that even if at 10km your bladder tells you you need to the bathroom, by 18km it's forgotten about it, and (I actually learnt this the day before) if you're going to use boiled sweets to boost your sugar intake, you have to keep one in your mouth at all times once you start, otherwise you get a sugar rush, then the crash. I tried the sweets for the first time yesterday for the last 3km (the point I normally boink on this race) and it did seem to help (although I think I lost 30 seconds trying to unwrap the thing).

Anyway, that's me for today, hope everyone else had a good weekend. Helen

Sounds like everyone is doing great!

Helen - Congrats on your race. Sounds like so much fun! :cheer2:

chimera - Great pace! Good luck on the running part of the LR.

Lisa Loves Pooh - I would LOVE to see you on that bike with your hands. LOL :rotfl2:

Sunny - Great pace. Question....I thought you were doing the marathon? You are doing double LR so did I make a mistake and you are doing Goofy? :confused3 If so COOL! Am I crazy?

Melissa - I am so proud of you coming in last! :cheer2: :rotfl2: :cheer2: That sounded like a crazy race!

From Wednesday until today I have done NOTHING! :scared: I could have biked, but DD needed a mommy. She is doing great today and will go back to school tomorrow. :dancer: So I can run. The Doctor gave my toe the OK to run .....not swim though. I guess I will take that. We are so close to the marathon/half! :hourglass Thanks for all the :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:.

Christa

Don't think the pedaling with the hands will work for two long--not a comfy position for the back...so....

pirate:
:moped:

I pedaled with one foot.
:rotfl:

Discoverd this worked at the store last night....so buwahahahaha Did 12 miles with one foot (with probably 2 miles in the middle somewhere pedaling with my hands).

Hubby was a stinker and wouldn't let me try my bum leg. So it hung out on a chair with a pillow while the other pedaled like mad!

Wooohooooo...I got my workout...I got my workout. :banana: :banana:

Christa--what's up with your toe that you can run and not swim? I know I cannot swim for 3 weeks...do you have an open wound?

Lisa - Way to go!!!! Does that actually count as a 24 mile ride???? We should ask Lynn!

OK, Here are some pics from the trail run. I don't know how to make the size smaller, so I'm sorry that they are big, but here they are. Check out the HUGE boulder field. We "ran" through tons of rock gardens and steep drops like this one. Look at EC, she actually had to sit down just to descend! I think I came in last place because the other people doing this stuff actually run on that!!!!

Boulder.jpg

MeAndSarah.jpg

Trail.jpg

Check out the Gloves!!!!!!

Well I wouldnt call today's LR a stonker because I'm proud that I actually did the whole 6 miles. Since I pushed so hard at the 5k yesterday I was more stiff than I thought I would be this a.m. So 1st I decided to warm up the 1st mile, warm down the last mile (read walk slower) and the middle 4 do about 15:30 pace. Well by mile 3 I decided I would be lucky to finish. Everything from thighs down were hurting. So that's when that little voice said "got to get in those steps!" I slowed down so I could finish the whole walk and ended up doing 16:47 for the pace. The old me would have thrown in the towel. I really have been possesed by the aliens. I have sooooo earned my day of rest tomorrow :Pinkbounc

Lisa- I cant believe how dedicated you are to getting your exercise in. My family would look at me like I was bonkers. I ran/walked the 5k yesterday. No certain intervals, just ran when I felt like it for how long I felt like (or until I got that cop off my butt) Good luck with your recouperation.

My Garmin freaks out sometimes. Every once in a while it will say my pace is over 30 (no way) or less than 9 (def. no way!)

Melissa-Great job with the race. Just finishing those are a huge accomplishment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter