Week of Oct 23 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

Thanks for the well wishes all. Hip still bothered me last night and this morning, but I brought and ice pack to work with me. SOrry to whine, it's just gettign so close and that scares me a bit.

Christa - Prayers and pixie dust for you and your dd and her doctors this morning. That is soo hard, but I'm sure she'll be fine!

Lisa - Thinking about you too! Hope all went well!

Lynne - Big dog that you are had never run 25 miles in 1 week? I did not hit 25 last week, but I was not too far behind. Being that close to you has really made me feel like Ihave accomplished something! ;) :rotfl2: About your pruchases for thei "free" sport!

Mel - That is too funny! Has me thinking about teh "It's not the destination, it's the journey" thing.

We should all look back and see how far we've come. Not to mention, how many friends we made along the way! I didn't even know you then Mel!

In March, I had a hard time with 4/1 w/r. Then we switch to r/w in June. "How come those 1 minute runs seemed so long, but the 1 minute walsk seem so short?" Last Saturday, I ran 12 miles. I still cannot beleive it!

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Surgery went well. I have a healthy knee..WAHOO!!!! I could have sworn he said he took something else out that some people are born with and can cause problems later...but now not so sure if that was the drugs wearing off. That report will have to wait until later.

My leg will look like the Michelin man for 8 more hourse and then hubby can take off the dressings. I have tubes leading to bladders around my knee that hooks up to a cooler. Fill it with ice water and plug me in and AHHHHHHHH!!! I'll be using that for quite a while!!!!

On crutches...probably for 3-5 days. I will get hubby to buy me an exercise bike to get the cardio back up. First PT session is tomorrow. I will turn in my paperwork next week.

I had one darvaset yesterday and nothing else..it really doesn't hurt all that bad.

One more of these guys and I will sign off... :banana:

Lisa, glad to hear that your surgery went well! :cool1:

Christa, :wizard: PD for you and your DD.

Hope everyone else with injuries is improving.

I am still plugging along here. I am very inspired by all of you. My progress just seems to be a lot slower than I'd like it to be. At least it's progress, though. I'm doing things now that I certainly could not have done 2 years ago when I started and I am still determined to be able to get to a pace where I feel I can sign up for the 2007 half and stay ahead of the sweepers. I know I can walk that far now but I also know that at this point I can't even come close to the pace so for now I will keep on training and keep reading about hte benefits of setting out to do something you never thought you could even attempt, never mind actually do. In the meantime, I am enjoying the journey and getting healthy in the process. I am very much looking forward to meeting so many of you at Trails End and cheering you along your way.

Hey all! Just an update to let you know DD is doing well. She is in a little pain and very sleepy but all in all she is doing well. Thanks for all your prayers and :wizard: :wizard:.

Lisa - congrats on your knee!

Melissa - good luck on the race.

Hope everyone else is well and has a great LR or LW this weekend. Dh will have to do his by himself as I will have to stay home with DD and my bum toe! I WANT TO RUN! :sad1: Well I guess I will eat instead. (HAHA) :rotfl:

Christa

Chirsta - so glad to hear that your daughter's sx went well. I was actually going to bring up the eating idea for the weekend! I was thinking that you should probably bank some calories for when you get to run again. You are going to be running like crazy after sittin at home for a few days and you will, of course, need to fill up your chocolate bank!!!

Lisa - great to hear you did ok. Hope your recovery is super quick!

The boy and i got flu shots yesterday and I think we ar both a little grumpy today. I'm hoping to get a nap and maybe we can sweeten up!! Phil got the boy a play dough doggie dr. toy for being so brave when he got his shot. Today on the way home from pre-school, he asked me if he could go by and see daddy and get another shot! :rotfl2: What a crazy boy!

Just wanted to pop in and ask a quick question. When are we supposed to get our packets? Dh hasn't received anything yet and I thought it was this month?

IIRC they are mailing them the end of this month. I haven't gotten mine either. I'm thinking we'll hear when someone here gets theirs! :D

Lisa - Glad to hear surgery went well. Good luck with the recup.

Christa - Glad to hear daughter is recovering from her surgery, also.

Carrie - I know what you mean about whining. I feel like that's all I'm doing lately. But the doggone leg just won't heal fast enough for me. It's making me :crazy:

Terri

wtpclc said:
IIRC they are mailing them the end of this month. I haven't gotten mine either. I'm thinking we'll hear when someone here gets theirs! :D

Thank you!

Carrie & Terri - I know exactly what you are talking about. I feel like the biggest winer on the plant (at least the Wish one) lately. You are not alone!

Lisa - :cheer2: on your surgery. I'm sure you'll be back to training in no time.

Christa - :cheer2: for you on your DDs surgery. :wizard: for a quick recovery!

As for me I thank you all for your concern. After several unsuccessful attempts at the chiro (seems worse instead of better) I'm staying away for now. I'm going to see a PT and DR this weekend and hopefully they will have some suggestions. I've lived with this way to long to let it go any further. I researched sciatic pain on Runners World and it said that it won't just so away so I have to do something about it. I may try a light walk this evening and see how it goes on the TM.

Minnie said:
BTW - What is the packet that you all are referring to :confused3

Disney will send you a race booklet--contains detailed info that will eventually be on the website. Your race card--with your # and waiver--is included as well. This is what you bring to the expo when collecting your bib and t-shirt and stuff.

Well--no more Michelin Man leg---the big buddah bandage is off...I'm a little wimp--so kept my eyes closed towards the end, but it isn't that bad. I see no swelling--but their is probably a little bit. We strapped the cooling bladder thing a ma jig back on and cold water is flowing once again.

Wahoo!!!

:banana:

wtpclc said:

But I want it now!!!! :teeth:

So sorry to hear about everyone with injuries this week. That is no fun at all. Hope everyone is up and moving soon.

Lisa- Glad to hear your surgery went well.

chimera- That's so neat about being able to look back and really see what big changes you've made. Sometimes I need to take a step back and see the big picture as well.

Yesterday for me was 45 minutes at 4 run/1 walk intervals. I managed 4.84 miles, so a 9:18/mile pace overall. I didn't get out to run until nearly 7pm... WAY too late for my personal preference. Luckily for tomorrow's long run I HAVE to get up early-- otherwise it's not getting done.

That's all for now...
Happy training all!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

xterratri said:
Cam- Have you talked to the admissions office where she wants to go to school? Maybe some of her other qualities such as grades and activities offset a SAT score that she isn't happy with. PD for the best possible outcome.

Thanks for asking, sweetie! Her "resume" is really impressive and the letters of recommendation she has gotten have brought me to tears. She just isn't an awesome student. But she is a phenomenally wonderful, sweet, generous young woman, so we are really hoping that will "sell" them on her. We learned this week that the university is seeking ivy league status, so their requirements are much higher than most other state universities. Just hoping for the best.

Well, I am leaving here very soon to try to get in 40 minutes walking and then speed/form drills. Iced my knee last night, but it is still painful. It wants to "lock" and the aleve didn't seem to improve it today. Hoping it will hold up tonight. Tomorrow night is cross training, 5mile LW on Saturday and 5K on Sunday. I guess this will show what I am really made of. I really wanna be a big :dog: , but deep down, I'm just a wimp and crybaby! :sad:

Whew--what a work out....it all started like this.....

Removed the cold water bladder. It proceeded to leak on me. That's okay--get myself wet so I don't overheat on my workout. No gu's or gatorade needed....I can go the distance without them.

Get the crutches. Get DD to pick up all the junk off the floor so I don't trip. Not quite ready to do hurdles just yet. Floor is cleared. Now must wait for hubby to stop playing the Sims. :hourglass

:rolleyes: :rolleyes1 :rolleyes: :confused3

:badpc: Okay...got the hubby. One step. Ooh--that feels weird. Take a second step. Hubby asks what it feels like. Oh just like my leg will snap. But that's okay--I was told apply weight is a-ok. Ok, honey--what step am I on? How am i supposed to know, he asks. No this is important, I have to write a detailed account of my workout--what step are we on??? Okay--this is step number three. Okay--at least I'm not flapping my arms like chicken wings as he claims I was doing earlier. Or maybe I looked like him --> :banana: . We go on to complete 10 steps. Wooohoo! Now back to the couch. This time with hubby behind me as he wasn't getting the hint as I step he is supposed to back up and stay out of my way. MEN!!! :rolleyes:

Okay--now he's behind--wow..I walk much faster now. I must be up to a half a mile an hour. :cheer2: Okay--10 steps back to the couch. Turn around and plop down on sofa.

Okay--knee bends. One, two....Hey what's that noise--three...ewwwwwww grossssssss.....my knee is making fart noises. Okay--exercise over today. That is just DISGUSTING!

I think I went 1/100th of a mile....woooohooooo! Not quite marathon pace. But hey--it's just the 1st day. pirate:

Minnie - Good luck. I think you're right, it's time to consult someone else. I hope it works out for you. My aunt has a sciatica problem and I know she's in a lot of pain when it acts up.

Lisa - What's the matter? You don't like to hear snap, crackle an pop? :confused3 So what does a knee-fart sound like? :teeth:
Today was just the beginning. Tomorrow it'll be more steps and you'll be back to normal in no time. If hubby doesn't get out of the way, well, that's really what the crutches are for. ;)

Terri

Christa-- So glad to hear DDs doing well. And so sorry to hear you can't run, I feel so bad for you, but even worse for your poor family :rotfl:

Lisa-- ouch and yuck! I'm glad you are in the recovery stage. Each day will be much better than the day before!!!!!

Chimera-- I did a similar thing. I reread my gym logs from this time last year. I was thrilled to be able to hold a 5.5 mph pace on the TM for 20 minutes! Its so important to stop and look at how far we've come. Sometimes we get so caught up in the Stonkers and forget today's worst stonker is better than last year's best run!

Today I did upper body weights and rowing. Tomorrow I'm doing an 8 miler with a friend from the gym. She's a super fast 5k-er (doesn't do distance) and I'm a slow distancer so we'll see how it goes!

Sunny

Lisa- that workout report was hilarious!! Before I read all of the 2nd post, I saw how close the posts were together & wondered how you got back from your walk so quickly :scratchin Then I read on & understood. Wow my body can pop/creak from time to time but I can honestly say I have never heard a knee fart :rotfl2:

Cam-I'm in the same boat for this weekend. I do my LR on Sunday which is supposed to be 6 miles this weekend & on Sat I have a 5K. I was thinking of just switching LR to Sat & doing 3 more miles later that day, but I guess that isnt the same thing. No time to whimp out on training now. Us little :dog: have to keep ahead of that stupid bus.

Solotraveler- I know what you mean. Getting that package just makes it more exciting & gets us 1 step closer! I have already told DH that I will be buying 1 of every kind of Marathon Weekend tshirt they have. I may have found some swimming lessons. I will have to go by the Aquatic Ctr next week to talk with them once they get the schedule out. I will probably have some questions for you then.

Christa-so glad your DD is doing good. Little ones are surprisingly ressiliant.

Hi, everyone! My knee stood up to an hour of exercise. 5 minutes warmup, 40 minute LW, 4 sets of speed drills, then cool down. Not too bad. Left my Garmin in the car, so not sure of all the paces, but I am thinking not bad considering I could barely walk last night and my knee kept wanting to lock today. I'm sure I was at 15-16 min pace. :banana:

Congrats, Lisa!

ETA: For some reason, my Garmin didn't restart the lap after the five minute warmup, so I don't have the breakdown for that. But it did keep track of the fact that I had 3.63 miles total in 57:01, which is about 15:42 pace including the warmup which was over 18:20 pace (cautious about my knee) and then the 4 speed/form drills which were (on the one-minute fast walks) 12:08, 13:06, 12:28, 13:30.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!