Week of Oct 23 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

Blimey what a week, I nip off to write a couple of features and we have major surgery, back pains and knee farts (something I never, ever, want to hear trust me!!!), hope everyone is feeling better today.

All good my end - off to pick up my race pack for my half this weekend in a minute. I'm trying very hard to tell myself it'll all be okay, I've done this one three times already etc etc, but have a feeling it's going to be a toughie. Not only would I like to beat last years time (pah, unless I've got a Wilma sized tailwind that's doubtful!), but my arch nemesis at the running club thinks she's going to run it at a time 2 minutes faster than I realistically think I am. Have never forgiven her for passing me 5 metres outside the finishing shoot of another race -after I led her for 21.09 km!!!!! SO pressure is really on - mucho pixie dust please. Will check in gloating or weeping on Monday. Helen

Good luck Helen!

Hope your dd continues to improve CHrista! A little one in any pain just kills me, :(

Thanks for the update Lisa! Up to 22 steps at a time for next week? ;) Glad all went well!

LOL about wanting the race packages. I debated whether or not to tell dh they were coming. I went with teh he'd rather be surprised than waiting ofr them otpion, so I'm the ony one in our household waiting anxiously.

OK, I'v ebeen walking so funny tha tmy knee is locking up on me. Goal today is to try to walk normal so I don't hurt anything else. I do think the hip is getting better, but I never really know when it will hurt so I've been babying it. 2 more days of rest and ice and hopefully all will be well again.

:wizard: for all who are hurting! Have a great weeknd everyone!
I've

Warning! This post contains whining!
I want to run! :rotfl2: Today is my normal LR day, but with my toe and Baby girl very sore there is no way I will be running. DH went to do his 10 miler alone and I pouted as he left. :sad: Am I a baby or what? Melissa you were right to feel sorry for my family. I did make smores last night though for xtraining. Melissa said I needed the chocolate and I trust her opinion b/c her DH is a Doctor. :teeth:

Wah Wah Wah! :sad: :sad: :sad:
Christa

Helen here ya go :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Christa-- so sorry you are house bound, sending you :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: for cheer.

Cam-- great job on the endurance!

I'm just back from a nice 8 miler with a friend from my gym. No music, we talked the whole way. That's new for me, made the time fly. Speaking of flying, our average pace was 9:17 (1:14:20). Woo hoo! pays to run with a fast partner!

I should have plenty of time to recover for my LR tomorrow. Thinking of doing a step back week, maybe just 14 tomorrow.

Sunny

Hey guys!
WOW it has been such a crazy week! We are headed to WDW in about 43.5 hours. Not that I'm counting or anything. :rotfl:
Of course whenever you try to go on vacation everything blows up in your life all at once. But I've decided that I can stress about it at disney world just as easy as I can stress here. DH won't let me stress though, so I guess I'll just have to put my stress on the back burner until we get back.

Have run a couple times (one day was the LR with Christa) and taken cycle class this week and I'm hoping I'll find some time in the next day or so to get in another work out of some kind.

I just wanted to pop in and say hey to everybody. Hope you all having a great week, and I'll try to catch up with ya'll before I leave.

~bree~

Christa - Sorry you are stranded!!!! It sounds like a day for a warm blanket and some hot chocolate!!!!

Sunny - great pace. I have the priviledge of running with someone like that . She is my EC and she is doing at least 2/3 of my runs, including my LR's with me each week (and you know she is crazy becuase she is not even planning on doing any races any time soon) She is way faster than me and she slows down but her pace still challenges me. It is really good for training!

Oh - the pumpkin pie is done, so I have to go take it out of the oven (not homemade by the way, but I have nothing better to do today since today is a fall rest day)

Hi everyone,

After no chiro for the past 2 days my leg is actually feeling a bit better, weird huh :confused3.

Anyway I will be traveling for the next few days so I may not be able to check in. By this time tomorrow I will have seen the PT and the DR so hopefully I'll have some good news to report :smooth: Lots of :wizard: please everyone! I'm taking my running clothes/shoes with me just in case I get cleared by them to run. I would be on :cloud9: if that happens.

I hope all of the fellow injured get better soon :grouphug: and tons of :wizard: for great lr for everyone!

"See" you real soon!

Minnie

Hey! :wave: I was just checking in - it's been a few days. My little cold turned into a sinus infection, but I'm just about over it. Yea!!! Running was definitely out for a few days, but we are back on track. DH and I actually had a date today - we went to Typhoon Lagoon! :cloud9: Surely that has to count as cross training!!! It was our first time ever, so of course we had to do everything! :faint: Those rides start super high, and I will be feeling each and every one of those steps in my calves tomorrow! BTW - there are LOTS of steps there! ;) I think I may have injured DH's knee, though. The Banana Blaster flipped me over, and I took DH with me, who landed on his knee. It is nicely scraped and bruised. It's just as well - he is already up to 17+ miles on his LR, and I don't want to him to get ahead of his training and peak too soon... so I just helped him out a little. ;) Just kidding sweetie! :love2:

Lisa - I laughed out loud with the knee fart!!! :rotfl2: Too funny (but it sounds painful!!!)

Minnie - I hope you appts go well and you get the go ahead to run!!!

Christa - so sorry you can't run, but LOVE your crosstraining!!!

Bree - have a great time at Disney!!! The weather is perfect!!!! :sunny:

Mel - how was the pie? That is great that you have a running buddy! I had one last year while we both were training for the half, but our schedules don't fit together anymore. She is doing the half again, though, so we still try to encourage each other through email!

Helen - :wizard: for a super fast race! You can do it!!!!

Great jobs on the training runs and :wizard: for all the injured!!!

Sorry for those I missed - this thread is getting LONG!!! YEA - so many wish buddies!!! :teeth: Happy training to all!

Crzy4Pooh -- sorry to hear about the sinus infection. yuck. Way to keep DH on track with training :rotfl2: Wouldn't want him to get ahead of himself!!!!!

Minnie-- waiting to hear that good news :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

MelR-- Your pie made me realize there are only a handful of fall rest days, we definitely should make the most of them (pie is good).

LR was cold this morning! I saw some snow flakes in the air (but it didn't actually snow). I'm a bit puzzled. It seems a 14 miler is just as hard as a 16 which is just as hard as a 18 :confused3 what's up with that? is it all psychological? I ran fast, though (9:41). Fast and tight, I felt myself being tense in response to the cold. Maybe that's the difference, I pace myself better when I know I'm going the distance. Today was also more challenging because I started out with the Battlegreen 5K route to check it out before DD and I do it next week. Mile 2 is pretty tough, mostly uphill. DD is going to die. Oh dear. She's gonna be really mad at me.

BTW I messed up on my math yesterday. When I uploaded yesterday's 8 miler, it turns out the avg pace was 9:09 :banana: :banana:

So here are my LR splits:

October 29, 2005 Battlegreen 5K route plus BP = 14 miles (2:15:45)

1 9:39
2 9:51
3 9:13
4 9:19
5 9:48
6 9:10
7 9:55
8 9:36
9 10:27
10 9:30
11 9:25
12 10:22
13 9:31
14 9:08

avg pace 9:41

Sunny

Well I just finished my 2nd 5K!!! And can we have a drum roll please........... my pace was 13:46 :dancer: This race was mostly filled with runners so I was at the end but not last, there were 5 behind me. It was a halloween race & I got beat by a lady wearing a giant cardboard cracked egg costume. She ran with the chicken. I asked DH who came 1st the chicken or the egg & he said they made a point to cross the finish line at the same time :rotfl:

Oh and that annoying cop car. Having that guy on your tail the whole race is nerve racking! But I had big improvements over last race & I felt better afterwards.

I also got a great race outfit at Target yesterday that is so comfy I feel like I'm wearing p.j.'s Its black ankle pants (but not the sausage type) with white & lime green stripes down the side & I bought a mens dri-fit tshirt to wear with it. I will prob wear the pants at WDW. And I have matching peridot(lime green stone) earings. Too cool!!

DS did his first 1 mile fun run today. His pace was 14:07. I was so proud of him. Seeing him get into this fitness thing because I'm doing it makes me want to do it even more. Great motivation!

Sunny- awesome splits! You are my hero :worship:

Sorry so long, I'm just so excited about today's race!!!!!!! :banana: :Pinkbounc

Hope everyone has good LR this weekend!

TiffJ said:
I'm just so excited about today's race!!!!!!! :banana: :Pinkbounc

Tiff, great job on your race. Races are so exhilirating for me, just love them...can't wait until my Turkey Trot 5K.

Sunny, great run today. BTW, do you find your Garmin to be fairly accurate? Sometimes mine seems to be just wacked. It will say I am running a 9:30ish pace and then come out with a 10:45 mile about 200 yards too long (there are mile markers along my route). My garmin seems to be all over the place with pace and mileage, maybe because it is really wooden and I do lose the GPS signal frequently, especially on cloudy days. Does anyone else have disturbances like these are do I have a faulty Garmin?

Colleen

Hi All!

Just got back from my 5 mile LW. I usually do all my walking on my TM, but it was a beautiful day so DH and I headed to the trails along the I&M Canal. But darn it, I got there and then discovered my garmin battery was low. So, my pace was right around 16 minute/miles, can't be more accurate than that. I am so used to the precise measurements of the TM!! Still, it was a fantastic day to be outside.

Tiff and Sunny - Great Job with your races! :banana:

I did a very light workout today - 45 minutes total, split between the elliptical and the bike.

I'll probably ride bike again indoors tomorrow while watching the football game, then next week try to get out and actually run a little. The leg is feeling somewhat better, so after 2 1/2 weeks of light workouts, I'm gonna step it up a bit!

Terri

TiffJ: Awesome time!!! Are you running, walking, or both? Excellent time!!

Christa--sorry you are homebound!

Well, my knee is now swollen....ouch! Hubby removed the dressings on Thursday and I didn't elevate properly on Thursday night. As the area heals--I supposed getting all swollen is part of the gig. My knee was stuck in a slightly bent position--so walking on crutches, I looked a bit like the hunchback of notre dame. Went to PT and they helped straigten me out and gave me some exercises. But do to swelling, I am unable to begin cycling just yet. They said if I can do one of those arm cycling machines, I can do my cardio that way. So I'm trying to get hubby to take me exercise bike shopping to see which one I can pedal with my arms by sitting on the floor. LOL! Mr. PT (who might qualify as Dr. McDreamy!) will let me know next week which event I should registered for. He said if I am whimpering as much as I did on Friday---then it is the half. He told me about another woman 3 years ago who he claims had a similar injury at a similar time and he got her from surgery to finishing Disney. So at least he has a good track record. ;)

Sounds like everyone had a great weekend!

TiffJ - Great job on your race

Colleen - I had that prob with the garmin in the trail run today. At one point it was an entire mile off. It is only that way when I get weak signals.

Sunny - Awesome pace.

Lisa - Glad to hear from you! Sorry about the swelling. It sounds like you are the most motivated post op pt in the world!!!

I did my trail run/race today. A lot of the regulars were not there. These tr's are usually really laid back and there are several people who get there and start early so they can finish close to everyone else. My last place finishers were not there today. This was a major hard core crowd with some fast folks. The trail was SUPER ROCKY and loose. It was crazy!!! I am pretty sure I did something I have NEVER done: I finished last place!! Since I was with my ec, we had to fight it out for the position, but since she is very fast on the road, and has never finished next to last, she got to finish there!!!!! I think our pace was around 15:40.mile and we ran most of it. We did stop a couple of times to pee and refill water and take pics! I'll post them soon. Have a great weekend everyone!!!!

Been trying to post the new thread with no luck! I'll try to catch y'all in the am!

We found an exercise bike that I can position myself and pedal with my arms. Buwahahahahaha.....as soon as hubby feels up to it (got the flu shot--and got sick)..he'll build it for me and I'll plop myself gently on the floor and start pedaling with my hands.

Hey--they said that was all I could do. Betcha they didn't think I'd find a way ;).

Sorry everyone! Still not able to post a new thread, so I guess we can just continue here until the DIS feels better. :sad1:

Tiff...wtg on your race pace! :cheer2:

Cam, Helen...how were your races this weekend?

Lynnda...glad your sinuses are better, but sorry about Bill's knee.

Lots of knee issues this week... :wizard: :wizard: for Lisa and Carrie.

Minnie...hope you get to feeling better soon! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Lily...how ya been?

Christa...hope your DD is feeling better.

MelR...punkin pie on rest days...sounds like my kinda training program!

Nancy...now that the house is done, when do we get to see pictures?

Sunny...dude...sweet pace! :banana:

Craig...you were so right! When the humidity's gone, the LR almost feel like flying!

That being said, check out my new pace...14:08 yesterday! :banana: :banana: I'm in the part of the training plan where the distance drops back in favor of increasing the pace, so today was at W3/R2. I've been doing that once a week for about a month, but not for the LR. I'm still struggling with the 2 min of running, but my pace has certainly improved!

Don't forget to set your clocks back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter