Week of Oct 9 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in the 2006 and/or 2007 Disney Half or Full marathons. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us!

Here's the Marathon FAQ, a great place to answer your marathon questions:
Disney Marathon FAQ
And some websites for further running/walking info:
http://www.runnersworld.com
http://www.coolrunning.com
http://www.halhigdon.com
http://www.running4women.com/
http://www.runnergirl.com/index.shtml
http://www.katherineswitzer.com/fitness.html
http://www.irongirl.com
The John Bingham site:
http://www.waddleon.com/
Jeff Galloway's site:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Pacing Calculator

We're on for Trail's End! Thanks to everyone who called for ressies! We currently have ressies for 90, so please check in on the first page of the dinner thread to confirm your group size. We're planning to meet Fri, Jan 6 at 4:00ish at TE to have some time to hang out together, then our dinner times are staggered from 4:30 to 4:50. If you'd like to come and didn't get a chance to sign up the first time around, pop into the dinner thread and let us know. As it stands right now, we have extra seats that we'll likely cancel if we can't fill them.

WISH Team Dinner Fri, Jan 6th--Trail's End it is!! PLEASE CONFIRM your spots

So how was the first week of MFM?

Leigh Ann...welcome back :wave2: Always good to have another member of Team NC. How's your training going?

Colleen...how was your 5K?

Heather...I gave up trying to fully describe us and just talk about my training group now. It was too long and confusing a story to explain about the Disney people on the Internet that I decided to train for a half marathon with :earseek:

Krista...Great pace! So how cold is it up there? How was the movie?

Steve...Hi!

Cam...yikes! Sounds messy up there. Was that a marching band competition that got moved indoors? We did winter guard inside, but I can't imagine moving a whole marching band competition into a gym :scared1:

Howard...good luck on the 15K! :cheer2:

Sunny...love the Tshirt logo designs!

Carrie...how's your weekend?

Lisa...thanks for the nutrition info! And the step reminder!

My LR went incredibly well this weekend! I did 6.2 instead of 6 miles just to check my time against the sweep times posted on the Disney site. Got there and found the sweep time was for 6.3 miles, but I think I'll do ok. My time today was 1:31:42 for a 14:47 pace :bounce: :bounce: That's less than my 6 mile time from last weekend!

Good training everyone! Anyone have fall leaves yet? Still sticky and nasty down here.

Anyone have family members or are doing the 5K after the half? DD12 (who'll be 13 by then) is considering it. I don't think I'll be up for it after the half. She went out and did 3 miles just for fun after a soccer game a couple weeks ago...at a 13:51 pace. Doesn't seem quite fair...I'm still not at that kinda pace and I do this 3 times a week :rolleyes:

Mel -- What plan are you following? Mine called for 2 miles today! I can't believe you did 6.2!!!! You GOOOOOO, girl! :banana:

Yes,the marching band competition got moved into a gymnasium, so the bands stood still and the colorguard stood in place and did their dance and flag work. DD17's solo was so beautiful, but positioning the guard behind the band deprived about 1/2 the audience of seeing her perform. Those who could see her were cheering and clapping. I was so choked up. Hey, I decided today, waiting to hear how DD17 did on the SATs is going to be so unbearable that it is really good that I am distracted by this training stuff! :goodvibes:

Have a great night, all!

The century ride was not nearly as bad as I expected (basically, I didn't die and better yet, I didn't want to!!). We were all able to stay together as a group and draft, so it was actually pretty easy riding. I think I will even be able to sit down tomorrow! I ran 13 thurs and I was a little worried my legs would be tired, but they were great! I don't think I hydrated enough on the ride, becuase my eyes feel VERY dry now. It was hard to drink when we were all riding so closely to one another. That kind of riding makes it easy, but it also seems dangerous to be right on someone's wheel! I'm really proud of myself, because a 100 mile ride was something I dreamed of doing several years ago when i first did the 50 on my mountain bike. :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

I'm planning on goofing off until tues. I'm just going to do my short run on Tues and then nothing for the rest of the week as I have another adventure race next weekend. It is shorter and is mostly urban so it should be easier on the bod than the last one!!!! NO POISON IVY!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Keener - That's so cool that your dd had a solo. She must be very good!! Good luck waiting on those SAT's!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Cam- I think WATP and eliptical both count as ct. They 3 mile tape will kick your butt!! I've been using it when I can't get to the gym.

Mel- my DS(8), nieces(12) and my dad will be doing the 5K. I dont think any of them are anywhere near her pace though. I have DS is training so he doesnt get swept. He is very excited about it!

I'm getting ready to do my LR of 5 miles. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm so excited about this whole thing. Can you believe it's less than 13 weeks away!

Cam...I'm doing MFM W/R the half, but I'm doing each of the first 10 weeks twice. I started last week of July. Mostly a mental thing since this is my first distance race...I kinda wanted a cushion in case I couldn't do the LR or ran into scheduling issues. It's worked out well for me. I focus on just getting the LR distance done on the first week, then I work on the pace when I repeat it the second week. I start week 7A tomorrow :goodvibes

Sounds like your DD did well even under difficult conditions! Have you guys seen Blast? I'm sure her SATs were fabulous! I know the test has changed a LOT since I took it back in the day. Glad I'm done with that kinda stuff, but I guess it'll be our turn with DD12 soon :eek:

MelR...congrats on the century ride! You're hardcore, dude! Enjoy your rest!

Tiff...less than 13 weeks :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: And with the holidays coming, those weeks will go by fast!

Good Morning All! Been aout of the loop for a looong time, but still doing the half. Training has been inconsistent, but moving ahead. I need to check in more as there seems to be a lot to learn from you guys, even more so as we get closer to January.

I did finish the Philadelphia Distance Run (half marathon) on 9/18 in 2:32. Not too shabby considering it was my first half. Looking to do a 10K on 11/6 (as a member of my company's team) and an 8K on 11/20. Should be interesting. Anyone else in the Philly area doing any runs?!

Sorry to miss the TE dinner. I was looking forward to meeting everyone.

D

Disneybelle - Good job on your half! Sounds like you are already there and all you have to do is maintain!!!! That must be a great feeling! :goodvibes

chimera said:
Colleen...how was your 5K?

I had a really great 5K race yesterday to benefit victims of the hurricanes. My time was 27:40, I was really happy because most of the second mile was completely uphill.

I really had a slow week yesterday, I really needed two rest days in a row, so I took them and I feel much better today.

My younger sister is running in her 3rd marathon this morning in Victoria, Canada. She is trying to qualify for Boston :sunny: , she needs to run 3:45 or better to qualify. I cannot tell you how nervous and excited I am for her!!! If I feel this nervous today, how am I going to feel in 13 weeks for my first! :scared:

Someone earlier asked me about the protien whey powder I use in my smoothies. I have seen it at Target and Walmart, but you can also buy a huge tub of it at Sam's Club for much cheaper (but it is a lot). You can get it at GNC, but it is probably double in price and I can't really tell the difference. We buy the huge one from Sam's because my husband and I both use it. It was actually my sister's recommendation about the protien powder that got me hooked. She said it really helped her recover after long runs and I really like it too!

Colleen

Wow congrats to all the racers this week!

Chimera-- kudos on the pace advancement :)

Looks like RAIN is the theme for this week. I did my LR this morning in the rain. The good parts are: 1) I sprayed Spray'NWash on my shoe where a bloody blister left a stain weeks ago and now the stain is gone!!! 2) I learned that I can run without music and survive 3) It was very liberating to run "sans equipment". I left with nothing but a 16 oz bottle of water. No fanny pack, no Garmin, no music. My time was horrendous for me, but it was really windy so I'm using that as my excuse.

14 miles 2:27 blah

Wow, Mel, you have really come a long way! I'm peoud of you and inspired by you!

As I wind down from our move - yes, I'm still organizing and unpacking and will be for a while - I'm planning to start a long range training program that will have me ahead of the sweepers in 2007. My pace has improved greatly over the past year both in the pool and on my bike, but I'm still way too slow on my feet. Right now I will be doing 3 days walking and 3 days cross training, either swim or bike most likely with one day of rest per week. The cross train days will also include strength and flexibility exercises. Hopefully it will get a little less humid around here soon. I was soaked after our walk last night and it was not raining!

Sunny, I love the Spray n Wash on your sneaker. I'll have to remember that one!

Lisa, thanks for the info on counting steps and short steps a fast pace being better. I already take REALLY short steps and thought that was part of my problem but have not seemed to be able to do anything about it with my short little legs. I have a timer on my watch that I wear that beeps at 1 min, so on my next walk I'm going to try to count steps and see how I do. My biggest problem right now is speed, or rather lack of, so I'm really hoping this will help me pick up the pace. Going a distance does not seem to be my problem, it just takes me forever to get there!

MelR, congrats on your century ride! Colleen, congrats on your 5K!

Hi all - did 12 miles this weekend, took me 3 hours what with hiding from thunderstorms, doubling back because I lost my bottle of sugary stuff and a quick chat with the boyfriend who'd driven out to rescue me from the rain - sadly I was over half way at this point so figured I might as well just splash my way round the rest of the route. Hope it's not like that next weekend, I've got to adjust my programme a bit to fit in a half so I'm going to move my 15 mile run up to next week.

Bree: Imagine your naked woman scenario, but not with a stranger, with one of the most important magazine editors in England, who you did your internship with about 4 years earlier and who decides to catch up on your career right there and then - I mean, where you do you look? Helen

We just got back from the Race for the Taste expo and we were talking to the Disney endurance people. We found out that there are 29,000 people signed up this year. They are broken up between 14,000 for one and 15,000 for the other. We've forgotten which was higher though. There are almost 3000 signed up for the Goofy.

Also, they have the dates for the 2007 marathon selected already. We will have to find the paper to get the exact dates but it is approximately the same time frame as 2006.

ETA: Found the paper. The dates are Half on Jan 6 and the full Jan 7. The expo runs from Jan 4-6. Online registration begins on Jan 9.

They are also doing the Goofy again.

Add my name to the list. Real name Felicia . Registered for half. Plan to fast walk, never been able to run my whole life.
Staying at POR, tried to get CSR but it was reserved for TNt from the beginning..

Well my I did my 5 miles today. 1st time doing that much. It actually felt pretty good. I avg. 14:41 pace. I was very happy with that. As long as it's below 15 I'll take it!!!

Welcome Felicia! Good to have you aboard. This is a great group. Check in often. Are you coming to TE Friday night?

All of you that run in the rain astound me. I am too wimpy I would either have to to TM or do it the next day.

Have a great week!

OK...I'm back!!! :wave: I did my long run today in Chicago, 26.2 miles. :faint: I finished and I'm thrilled. BUT, I'm having major second thoughts on Goofy. That's a long way. :earseek: We'll see.

It's going to take me awhile to catch up with everyone. Good job to all the weekend racers. I'm so glad the weather has cooled down.

Sara

Congrats to everyone with their runs this weekend.

Sunny - I know what you mean about surviving w/o music. When I run on the roads here, I never wear my iPod. Gotta hear those screeching tires :earboy2:

Did 4.3 miles today at about 15 min/mile pace. Should be able to cut about 10 min. off total time if I eliminate the hills. I hate hills!

Anyone know what I can do for a quad strain. This has been nagging me all week. Bothers me for the first 5-10 steps I run. Once I get into a rhythm, it doesn't bother me as much. But after sitting for awhile and getting up, it's like a shot in the leg for the first few steps. Not bad enough to effect my wogging, but still annoying.

Terri

TiffJ said:
Well my I did my 5 miles today. 1st time doing that much. It actually felt pretty good. I avg. 14:41 pace. I was very happy with that. As long as it's below 15 I'll take it!!!

WTG that is awesome!!!!

Reporting in for my workout this morning....did 44 minutes on MFM week 8 (I think) Monday. It came out to about 3.75 miles or something like that. Shortening the strides, I had to up the mph...I got up to 5.6 mph (sub 11:00) for the run portions---I will stick to that for at least the rest of the week....I was getting 88/89 steps per minute, so I'm close. It felt really good!

Today I am becoming the Nutrition Nazi with myself--making sure I get the right amount of carbs and...ahem...the 100g of protein I'm supposed to have. :faint: And I"m supposed to have over 2000 calories today...WOW! But as the Nutrition Nazi--"NO junk for me".

I have a sensation in my knee--akin to when you need your back "popped" or adjusted by a bear hug or chiropractor. I last had it in August and a slide down a slide helped adjust it--it's back, so I am going to call the chiropractor to see if he can do it. Nothing to worry about--I can remember having this since 7th grade. Too bad the knees aren't like the knuckles. :hyper:

Have a great Monday. I almost slept in thinking it was the weekend. Oops!

TEK224 said:
Anyone know what I can do for a quad strain. This has been nagging me all week. Bothers me for the first 5-10 steps I run. Once I get into a rhythm, it doesn't bother me as much. But after sitting for awhile and getting up, it's like a shot in the leg for the first few steps. Not bad enough to effect my wogging, but still annoying.

Terri

Warm up with walking and then STRETCH before running. Post workout make sure you stretch them well again.

Also--you may benefit from some squats or lunges on xtrain days or post workout to get a little extra strength in the quad.

Make sure your strides aren't too long.

This was all suggested to me with my problems in the past few weeks and all seems to be clearing up.

Sara--Wow you did Chicago....that is awesome! You've done the hardest part and tackled the 26....way to go!!! I hear that race is pretty :cloud9: ---details please :flower: .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter