Week of Sep 11 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in the 2006 and/or 2007 Disney Half or Full marathons. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us!

Here's the Marathon FAQ, a great place to answer your marathon questions:
Disney Marathon FAQ
And some websites for further running/walking info:
http://www.runnersworld.com
http://www.coolrunning.com
http://www.halhigdon.com
http://www.running4women.com/
http://www.runnergirl.com/index.shtml
http://www.katherineswitzer.com/fitness.html
The John Bingham site:
http://www.waddleon.com/
Jeff Galloway's site:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Pacing Calculator

Rest day for me today. 5 miles yesterday was pretty fabulous...4 paws way up :paw: :paw: :paw: :paw: Humidity was only 58% and I took the MP3 player with me. Shaved nearly 5 minutes off total time for a 15:05 pace! :bounce: But when I put my time in the pacing calculator, it projects 3:30:27 for a half finish, so I definitely need to train for sub-15 min miles :scared1:

MelR...that's a great race photo and race pace! Where abouts in Arkansas is Rogers? Sounds like a neat area with lots of cool things to do?

Nancy...how's the move going? Say hi to Lily for us! Are you still swimming in the noodle soup?

Lisa...great pace on your 5-miler! :moped: Hope you guys are drying out...looks like Ophelia kept it pretty damp over there this past week!

PD :wizard: for all of our "Team NC" members (Susan, Christa, Bree, Colleen,Tammy, Jennifer, NCRedding, etc)...looks like Ophelia may be heading your way.

Heather...sorry to hear about your ankle troubles...hope it heals quickly :wizard:

Cherseyb...welcome back! :wave2: How's your training going?

Christa...wow...great long run! What show are you doing?

Sunny...how did your long run go...16 or 18? I cried like a baby when DD12 started kindergarten. I'm sure it will be worse when it's the wild todd's turn.

Krista...so happy to have football back, college and NFL :banana: The FSU/Miami game on Monday was some of the ugliest football I've ever seen! How was Cedar Point? We've never been but DH and DD want to go ride the coasters!

Colleen...great long run!

Carrie...how ya been? Thought of you when we saw a snippet of the UM game yesterday! That walking towel sounds cool, but I might have the urge to snap someone with it :teeth:

Jodi...I haven't heard anything about the size of the field since they split the runs. Anyone else know?

Solo...great pace! Toronto sounds cool...I admit to being intrigued about your job, but have been afraid to ask...sounds top secret ;)

Kathy...glad to hear your shoulder's progressing. Thanks for the update on Lynne and Erin! Tell them hi for me!

Tiff...definitely get a Garmin! Best toy I ever had! Now if I could just get the custom workout thing programmed...I'd be set!

Thinking of those affected by 9/11 today on the anniversary. :wizard: to all.

But I figured I might be more accountable to myself if I started posting on the training thread.

I've had a wickedly busy past two weeks of work, so my training kinda fell behind. But I'm ready to pick up the pace again. Planning on a 3 mile run-walk this afternoon and an hour bike ride tonight!

Gotta get ready for the Goofy!

MelR: I've been to and through Rogers a few times. My uncle used to live iin Springdale and we'd visit every few years! :)

Terri

Hi All,

I'm late at posting my long run from yesterday. Well it started awful. I knew as I left the house I was probably going to have "digestive" trouble. Sure enough, by mile 3 I was in great need of a bathroom. My only hope was the porta-potties a mile ahead and then a wacko came up on a bike and wouldn't leave me alone. It was a little past 6Am and no one else was around. He smelled of alcohol and scared me. He finally rode ahead so I turned around and headed the opposite direction, putting 4 miles between me and the nearest bathroom :scared1: I stopped at Starbucks and got a decaf coffee while I was there. I decided at that point I was cutting my run short. I walked a while and got back on the path. I did 6.5 more miles with good pace. But it all worked out for good, because as soon as I got home DD was waiting for me, hoping to go for a wog! So I turned right around and went out with her for a 2.5 mile wog. Got back, showered and then took DS to the wildlife reservation and did a 2 mile hike up hills. So all in all, I got my miles in!

Here are my splits on my 13.5 mile medium-length run!

Sept 10
1 11:05
2 10:21
3 10:22
4 10:09
5 11:14
6 11:45
7 10:05/16:34 (10:05 to get to the bathroom, .4 miles at 16:34 to get back on the path)
8 8:55
9 9:11
10 9:02
11 9:22
12 8:55
13 8:47
13.5 8:56

overall 10:07

Today was a rest day. Heats returning M-W so looks like I'll be hitting the TM.

Sunny

Doing a bit of shifting around the schedule---my pilates cross training needs to be upped, so I have some shifting around in my schedule to accomodate multiple sessions during the week. I think it is detrimental to my physical health to do this--otherwise I will get the setbacks I had last time.

Well my knees were super achy last night--like spending a long day at WDW with bad shoes---so that meant a trip to the shoe store today....$110 AFTER my discount...Yikes! Got a pair of Brooks. If they are comfy for the next several weeks, I will by a 2nd pair in October. We'll see how it goes.

Have a great week everyone!

MelRhoads said:
OK - here is a run to put in the neighbors think I'm crazy category. I went on a 3.5 mile run with my external comando (EC) aka marathon girl. Anyway, we pushed the boy and her little one in joggers, while we were wearing full backpacks. ...." Thankfully, that wasn't the school in the boy's district so I am not going to ruin his reputation!

Sunny - I noticed that you run in some interesting places (the historical road that you mentioned) I ride and sometimes run at a civil war battlefield. We should consider posting pictures from some of our favorite routes. I think Monte would have some good one's to post from the Rockies. I would really enjoy seeing where everyone is training.

First, ruining the boys rep-- sorry but you're doomed :rotfl2: The other moms just don't understand fitness fanatics, trust me! I get strange looks on the playground all the time because I'm, um, PLAYING!!!!!!!

I think its a great idea to post our paths! I don't have any pics yet, but here's a link to the Battle Road. If you know your Revolutionary War history you'll recognize the landmarks.

http://data2.itc.nps.gov/parks/mima/ppMaps/MIMAmap2.pdf
http://www.nps.gov/mima/brt.htm

Speaking of such, one of my favorite quotes is taken from a stone on Lexington Battle Green:

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon. But if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.
Captain Parker (http://www.freefoto.com/preview.jsp...Captain+Parker,+Lexington,+Massachusetts,+USA)

I think those are words to live by!!!!

(For some reason the links don't appear at first, I had to hit "refresh" to get the pages to load?)

Sunny

Well did my 3 miler yesterday. Went too slow! But I hadn't felt good all weekend & I was still full from dinner. I was afraid if I waited any longer, I would be sitting on the couch the rest of the night & not walk at all. I guess at least I got out there and did it.

Today is my rest day. AKA-kids are in school, mommy must do her chores day!
I am hoping to go to the track tomorrow so I can try walk/running again.

I have registered for my 1st 5k. It's in 2 weeks! I can't wait to officially have a race under my belt.

Happy training!

Good morning!! I had a great weekend! Cedar Point was awesome. The park was empty--it was great. The only bad part was that Top Thrill Dragster was closed Friday and Saturday. I had a great run on Saturday morning. I did 4 miles, I started w/3, r/2, but after about a mile I started w/3, r/2. I know, way to experiment on a long run. :) But I found it was actually easier to run 2 minutes than just 1, and call me crazy, but I honestly think that it's easier to run a longer distance. I fell into a rhythm that I don't have time to find in just 2-2 1/2 miles. And how great was it to run alongside of Lake Erie? The route I took let me see the sun rise over the lake and I got to run underneath one of my favorite roller coasters, the Magnum. I have to be honest too and say that it felt so great to be out running and to pass people coming out with a cup of coffee and looking at me like I was nuts! I think this runnng thing could be addictive!! :teeth:

Mel--I'm so glad that September is finally here!! The Steelers looked really good yesteday! And for the record, I've been a Willie Parker fan since training camp last season. By the way, what sophomore jinx??! :goodvibes Did the Bucs end up winning? I saw on the scrolling scores that they were winning.

Nancy--Are you all unpacked yet? We moved into our house Dec. 29, 2003 and I know for a fact that there are still boxes packed in our basement. I'm convinced that if I haven't missed it in 2 years, I don't need it!

Sunny--Awesome run! Sorry about the scary guy. That's one thing I hate about running by myself--you never know who's out there. I guess I should maybe carry pepper spray or something. At least with your muscles, you can knock any guy out!! :cheer2:

Heather--I hope your ankle is feeling better!! Here's some :wizard:

I'll check in with everyone later! Happy training!!

Krista princess:

I biked 13 miles yesterday. This morning I walked on the TM for 40 minutes. My ankle is still sore, but the walking did not seem to irritate it like running. I hope my ankle gets better soon because I really don't want to walk the 1/2 marathon. I did that last year, and I really wanted to run some of it this year. Well, it's only September. I shouldn't get too discouraged yet. I must be crazy, but I miss running. :guilty:

Hello everyone!

Sunny- Be careful!! Yikes, at least it was a non-threatening wacko!

Chimera- It's not that top secret, LOL. I work in college athletics. So when we have busy home event weekends, that's when things get crazy. Big upsides and big downsides to working in anything sports realted for sure.

Toronto was really wonderful. My roomate and I got to catch up with people we hadn't seen in a couple months-- it was great. We looked at 9 different condos/developments on Saturday! :earseek: I think there were 2-3 we really liked, but we really need to think about it. If only the hotel we usually stay at had condos. (Looking at this as a vacation place-- at least for now) When we got back Sunday, we got a call from our contact with our Newfoundland Rescue organization. (I got my dog from this organization a couple years ago) They were wondering if we would foster a dog that was found near New Orleans recently and was being turned over to them. So after no discussion, Skip will be joining us for at least a few months until his owner can be located and returned safely. I think the stork brings him Friday. :sunny: (A Lab and 2 Newfies in the same house... vacuum, vacuum, vacuum)

Back on topic- I did my 40 minute run/walk (3/2) around and around Queens Park in Toronto early Sunday morning. I did 4.24 miles for, I believe 9:27/mile pace. Funny story- while running, I noticed a woman ahead of me also running 3/2 intervals. I passed her at one point and when I began walking, she hollered at me to wait up. "Marathoning for Mortals?" she asked. LOL! Since she was doing the same distance, she wanted to run together. Hey, sure, why not!! As we made small talk-- she told me she was a dancer. "Oh, what shows have you been in?" I asked. "I work at Club ########" she replied. And so, that's how I went jogging with an exotic dancer at 4:45am in Toronto. :rotfl2: (BTW- whomever designed her sports bra deserves some kind of Nobel Prize for Physics! Like Beth from "Dog the Bounty Hunter" only prettier and much smaller framed.)

Got to run 40 minutes (3/2) again today (all by myself this time)-- actually looking forward to it.

Happy training all!
Solotraveler :earsboy: :dog: :dog: :dog:

Solotraveler - that is the best trip/run report i have heard in a long time!!!! That is so funny! I've never had an exotic dancer chase me down while i was running :rotfl2:

Mel - Rogers is in the extreme NW corner of arkansas. It is near Fayetteville.

Sunny - The creepy guy is not cool!! I'm not sure even IC could deal with him. You might use your tae bo! Billy would be so proud! The battlefield road was really interesting! I looked at the map. Sadly, I know nothing about history, so I even learned a little looking at the map. Oh yeah, thank for the encouragement regarding not being a total freak with the pta moms!

We rode 50 miles at pea ridge military park on sat, but I forgot to get a pic. I will soon. I will be switching from an emphaisis on biking to running in the next couple of weeks, but I am going to do a 100 mile adventure race (I'm going to die) in a couple of weeks and then a century ride in early october (that will be a big time first)!!! I've got to get on my training schedule soon, but I'm skipping the first few weeks becuase i have been basically been doing them all summer anyway!

Well, I'm definitely just doing the full rather than going Goofy this year as I putzed around too much on deciding to register for the half. It's probably for the best though as I didn't manage to build much running mileage in TX this summer and have only built up to doing an 8.3 mile long run(yesterday) since I got back here to ME.

I've done two triathlons and will be doing a third this weekend. Wow, swimming in ocean where the next land fall is Europe is much different than swimming open water in either a river or lake. My former Div 1 swimmer friend thought it was awful too though so I didn't feel too bad. We live on the water but it is a fairly protected bay. I swam slightly faster for an 800 in a lake the following weekend than I did for that 500 so needless to say I've been much more consistent about swimming rather than just assuming that I can ignore it because I'm good at it. I also had an awful run that day and a much better one the following Saturday at least by my standards- I'm very slow running so I was impressed that I actually passed a number of people. I still really like the new lime green bike. Mom posted some pics of it. I decided to punish myself every time I ride it though- if i haven't already ran that day, I put on my sneakers(can they be called that when they cost $90) and do about 20 minutes of running. It increases my running mileage and helps with the bike-run transition for triathlon racing.

So up coming race schedule: sprint tri at Colby College this Sat, half marathon in Portland ME Oct 2, Race for the Cure 5 K at Animal Kingdom Oct 8(? Sat), Marathoning with the Mouse Jan 8, Florida Half Ironman in later May(also at the Mouse House: noticing a pattern anyone), and.... Ironman Wisconsin Sept 10th 2006.

So that is the athletic update. School sucks- we just finished neuroanatomy and have had our first nervous system exam. One more exam, plus a paper, plus a presentation, plus a clinical summary... and that's just for this system which ends Sept 26th. We then do the Psych system which ends Oct 12th. Don't have particularly high hopes for that one as I going to be at WDW from the 7-11th and the worst thing is that I really don't care either. Next up will be muscloskeletal- yeah finally something interesting. The others this semester are respiratory then hematology. Our curriculum is very computer based this year and I don't have internet access at home yet and that is my preferred study location. I'm really looking forward to starting clinicals next year and then especially to graduating. I suppose that is why becoming a PA is often seen as the sane choice rather than going to medical school. I still really want to be a doctor, just not real happy with the process right now.

So that's my update. I have been reading the posts, just not posting myself. When I get a chance, I post some pictures/links for the southern ME coast which is my training grounds.

Remember to just keep moving forward!!! (that mantra has gotten me through both Ironman races and countless other triathlons and running events.

Lynne

Terri – Hi! Welcome to our team! We have a few others as Goofy as you! (NOT me, though ;) )
Sunny – Oh, I have been there with the digestive problems. That is NO fun! Holy cow, you still pulled a great work out off, though! WTG!
Lisa – You know better than to do WDW without good shoes. At least you got some new ones out of the deal though. It’s all about the shoes!
Tiff – When I have a bad day, I just look at it a little differently. I congratulate myself for finishing it instead of turning around and going home, which is what I usually rally want to do. Watch out for those 5K’s, I hear their addicting!
Craig – How’s the toe?
Krista – I love CP!!!! IMO, I don’t think you missed anything with the dragster, though. I did it and am proud to say I did, but it wasn’t really fun. It went so fast that I thought I would not be able to take it anymore, then went up the hill and came down. The hill and turns went so fast that I did not notice them, so I did not get the thrill that I like. Running under the Magnum would have been cool, though. My fav’s are Millennium Force and Raptor.
Mel – If the fam likes coasters, CP is the place. It is NOT Disney, but it is the best non Disney park I’ve been to. Do not think WDW going in, though, think “I’m here for awesome coasters.” You should come up and we can have a DIS meet there next summer! Congrats again on the great run!
Heather – Hang in there! At least you’re still exercising. I wonder if I’ll ever get to the “I miss running stage.” Hmmmm…..
Solo –Thanks for solving your job mystery. Still trying to figure out the trip to Jordan, but maybe I should just leave that alone. Now, I’ve just got to figure out which school. GVSU? BTW – Did you get an e-mail for the woman you ran with? I’d love to find out who made her anti-gravity top!
MelR –Your training posts just tucker me right out! No wonder you can smile while running!
Lynne – Welcome back! It’s so good to see you again! Sorry about the nasty classes and missing the half sign up. You’ll just have to go Goofy in 07! I use a similar mantra when having a tough run. “Put one foot in front of the other, and soon you’ll be walking across the floor….)

Well, Saturday must have just been THE day for running. We did 7 and I felt better than I had in weeks! We averaged about a 10:47 pace. I only had 2 splits above 11. With a mile and a half to go, I was a happy camper. I think the cold soaks helped with the aches and pains. I also did gu at the half-way mark. Good thing I liked vanillas bean, because 3.5 miles of a taste I didn’t like would have killed me! That stuff really stays with you. Now, for the BEST part. Are you sitting down. Dh was telling me how I must really be feeling good around the 4 mile mark. I agreed and apologized that I hold him back. Get this, he really likes me as an anchor (my word not his) for the long runs. He’s learned that the burns himself out when I’m not with him keeping a slower pace. He said he would not have made it if it was just him! I’m flying high now!

Doing 45 tonight and Thursday is a rest day this week. Woo hoo!!!
OK, so U of M lost, but the Lions won. I think my whole world is now turned upside down!

Just dropping in for a quick sec.... did anyone get the email about the Disneyland Half Marathon in 2006??? Mulling it over right now....

I did my run today-- 40 minutes (3/2) and managed 3.86 miles which is 10:22/mile pace. I failed to get up this morning early enough to run, so I had to give it a swing this afternoon and HOLY COW was it hot. I had to ditch about 1.5 of my running intervals and just walked them instead. I was happy to get through it. :)

Crosstraining day tomorrow, which will blissfully be something indoors :groom:

Solotraveler :earsboy:

I got the e-mail, and I am so excited! :cool1: I am definitely going to register! How cool to run through DL, and I have never seen the California Adventure park. :cheer2: Anyone want to join me?

Good morning!! :sunny: How is everyone today? Thinking over the Disneyland Half Marathon?? ::MickeyMo I had the BEST run last night. I did 40 minutes of w/3, r/2--I ended up getting in 3.23 miles at 12:25 mile pace! That's my best time ever!! :cheer2: :cheer2: I was so excited when I stopped at 40 minutes and looked at my Garmin. I have my 2nd 5K this Friday night, I'm looking forward to seeing how much I've improved since my last 5K in August.

Carrie--I've ridden the Top Thrill Dragster before. It's an awesome ride, but I don't think it's worth a 3 hour wait. Stephen and I got engaged at Cedar Point on July 9, 1999, so we go back every summer since it's our "special place". We got engaged at Cedar Point and honeymooned in Walt Disney World--does it get any better??? :teeth:

I guess I better start working. Does anyone else feel like work gets in the way of disboarding?? :goodvibes

Krista princess:

aladdinsgirl said:
Carrie--I've ridden the Top Thrill Dragster before. It's an awesome ride, but I don't think it's worth a 3 hour wait. Stephen and I got engaged at Cedar Point on July 9, 1999, so we go back every summer since it's our "special place". We got engaged at Cedar Point and honeymooned in Walt Disney World--does it get any better??? :teeth:
Cool. I thought the Grand Haven Pier was nice. Then again, dh doesn't much care for rides.

I guess I better start working. Does anyone else feel like work gets in the way of disboarding?? :goodvibes
Sounds liek you need to work on those priorities. ;) Oh yeah, without work, not WDW. :(

I wanted to pop in and say that thankfully I am getting back into the exercise routine. I am giving myself until October before I start following the marthon for mortals training program.

Everyone is doing great on their times and training. Thanks for the inspiration.

Good morning everyone. Just popping in for a quick note before I head out for a busy day visiting customers. I had a nice surprise yesterday when I checked the official time for my last 5K. Turns out is was better than I thought. My time was 39:52 which was a huge improvement over 43:09 the race before. I was so excited to get under 40. I hope for more improvement for the next race which is Oct. 1-Race for the Cure.

My long run on Saturday was good. 6 miles in 1:23:00. Of course I hope to get faster but as of now I am well ahead of the sweeper! I skipped my Sunday workout because of the Panthers game (I'm TOO depressed! :sad: ) but I did have to walk quite a bit to and from the game. I'm back on track tonight with my trainer.

Have a great week everybody. I will be checking in as often as I can so I can get some inspiration from all of you big dogs! :dog2: :dog: :pug:

Susan

Well today was my 30 min walk. I got in 2 miles but what got me excited was the jogging I did. Last week I added 30 sec. of jogging to my walking & it about killed me. Boy did my heart & lungs notice the difference!

Today on each 1/2 mile lap , I ran 2 times for 1 min each. AND IT DIDNT KILL ME!! Big improvement over last week. Also the walk after each run was better that last week. Not a huge improvement on time but I know if I keep it up I will definately help my pace in the long run.

I so want to do the Disneyland 1/2!!!!!! It would cost a fortune for us just to get there. Too far to drive. Maybe........... :rolleyes1

Everyone is doing great!! Keep it up. Less than 17 weeks to go!

Hey everyone!

Welcome TEK! :wave: Tell us everything about yourself!

Tiff...congrats on the running! Is it really only 17 weeks? :earseek:

Susan...wtg on your 5K time! :banana: :banana:

Tammy...welcome back! How have you been?

Krista...great pace! :cool1: I don't understand why we can't have football every night :confused3 It was a good week for FL teams...all 3 won! :cheer2:

Solo...wtg on your pace! A college athletics job sounds pretty cool. Personally, I want to be an NFL ref when I grow up...or maybe third string kicker. Newfies are way cool...hope you don't have white carpet! :dog: Nice to know exotic dancers are athletes too :rotfl:

Lynne...great to see you again! Good grief, you've been busy! Congrats on all your triathlons! Don't worry...the school process will be over soon and you'll be amazed at how quickly it went by ;) Clinicals will be fun...though some are certainly better than others. I loved emergency medicine, but I got my best stories from my psych rotation :teeth:

Carrie...congrats on the 7-miler! :cool1: :banana: Is 7-miles the point where you start using the gels? I'm thinking about dried fruit instead...the gels just seem like they might be nasty.

MelR...wow...the adventure race sounds cool! Is a century ride 100 miles, too?

I did 10 W3/R1 intervals yesterday...pace was 15:26. It's weird, my long run pace was better, but was W4/R1 intervals and was a much longer distance. What's up with that? :confused3

Oh...and when do I need to decide which shoes I'm wearing for the half? I'm still torn between ASICs and Nike. I'm not sure if I'll need to get a new pair soon to make sure they're broken in by the time of the race. Help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter