Week of Sep 11 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

Mel - I want to say Gels should be used after 45 min to an hour. I have low blood sugar, though, and wanted to see if it helped at the mid-way point. The last mile or two I had a tendancy to struggle. The bottom id not drop out on me at all that time, so I think it helped. I thikn you've got ime to break in new shoes. I'd say two months shoudl be enough to get tehm broken in. I'm not an expert, though.

I'm still debating on the shoes. I love my ASICS, but I've run in thothing else since I was in 9th grade. DH loves the shoes he got from the shop in town, but he always ran in cheap shoes before. The place in town does not sell ASICS, so I'm torn.

Well, dh and I shuffled our scheule the is week. I know you're not really supposed to, but we did. SO, I XT'd at CUrves Monday to stay out of the heat. Took Tuesday off instead of Thursday, because I could not work out last night. WE'll do 45 min tonight, 40 Thursday and be back on track again. I think I worked out pretty hard on monday, as I was pretty sore yesterday.

OK, gotta' go. Happy trainign all!

BTW - Iheard teh DL half gets you a Castle medale. Oooohhh, the temptation!

Chimera-- great job on shaving off the minutes. You'll get your pace where you want it, I just know it! As for the shoes. I'm planning on having one pair just barely broken in for the race (~50 miles). They will be ASICS Cumulus (Is there any other shoe??? JK). I bought a pair last weekend, but I'll need to buy another pair before race day.

TEK224-- Welcome! So you're a Goofy! Good luck!!!

Lisa-- I'm trying to muster up sympathy for your achy knees, but its hard since you got them at WDW!!!! I'm jealous! :earboy2:

Tiffj-- Isn't it the truth-- Rest Day = Chores for Moms!!!!! Not exactly my definition of R&R!!!

Krista-- your sunrise run on Lake Erie sounds wonderful! Glad you had a blast at CP

Heather-- Hope you can run soon!

Solo-- Great pace! Chased down by an exotic dancer???? Yet another example of just how exciting running can be! :rotfl:

MelR-- You amaze me! A century ride? I can't wait to hear about it. Where? How exciting.

xterratri-- I'm doing a half on Oct 1 in NH. Let's hope for great weather!

Carrie-- Kudos on the 7 with great pace! I understand the "anchor" statement! When I take my DD for a wog it is actually very enjoyable because I can't push.

Tammy-- Stay with us! Good to see you posting.

Susan-- Great job on your 5K. That is a great improvement in time.

As for me? I've been in a blah state this week. Monday is typically a 6.5 mi on the TM but I cut it short to 5.0. Monday is also upperbody weights. I cut a few sets out here and there. Yesterday was lowerbody weights which I cut a bit off, too. DS is having major stress with transitioning to kindergarten and his new afterschool program. I'm a mess over it. I had the chance to do speed work last night after the dust settled and I only managed 2X400 in a 2 mile session. The first was great (for me) 6:38 pace, the second was 7:29 and I just couldn't muster the strength to do another :( I sure hope I get back out of this funk. If things don't improve for DS I may be cutting his time at afterschool care which will mean cutting my training time. Its all so stressful right now.

Sunny

Sunny, I am having a blah week too! I feel terrible (DH says I am not drinking enough water) and my right knee, IT Band, hip and butt hurt. I had a 40 minute tempo run and it just about killed me. Thank goodness today is a rest day because I am a hurting puppy.

Carrie, I am still debating about shoes too. I am running in Asics right now and tried a pair of Mizunos. Maybe that is what is causing my right leg pain. I am back to my Asics right now but find the Nimbus a bit too clunky, perhaps I should try the cumulus.

Tiff, isn't it great when you see an improvement. You will be amazed at how much more you can do so quickly. Keep it up.

Susan, good job on your long run. My friends went to the panther game as well. They "said" there was bad officiating??

Solo, good job as always!

Have a great week..I am going to drink, drink, drink water as I have put on about 3 pounds in the last 10 days.

Colleen

Hi everyone!

Carrie- Jordan was a matter of being in the right place at the right time. International recruiting wanted to send someone from our office over and Voila! Alas, I did not get an e-mail addy from my new running friend. In hindsight, I probably should have-- it would be nice to have someone to run with in Toronto next time I'm in town.

Chimera- It's a beige berber capet with some black in it. It's going to be tough to try and keep up, I'm sure.

Glad everyone got a kick out of my story :)

I was going to get up this morning and run, but between my Big Brother live feed update addiction that kept me up very late last night and the rain here this morning, that didn't happen :) So, my 40 minutes (3/2) will be run this evening.

Happy training all!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

i have been a calorie buring fool!!!! The ride we did on saturday was worth over 1800 calories! Yesterday, the boy started preschool, so dh and i dropped him off. I ran home and dh went to work. that was about 4 miles (400cal). Then dh and i mountain biked for about 30 mins (somewhere between 200 and 300cals) then we picked boy up. (I did do some italian food/dessert calorie replenishment). Then we kayaked (who knows how many cals) and finally after boy went to bed, we ran another 3 miles (300 calories) I am a stick, so i have to be careful becuase I feel sluggish and depressed when I burn too much! Anyway.... guess what I am doing today..... McD's SHAME ON ME!!!! It tastes soooooo good. I didn't even tell them which size, they just hooked me up with a huge fries and a coke bigger than my bladder! OH THE JOY. I don't usually eat foods high in sat. fat, but hey... i need the calls and there is a chance that I could win a free disney trip!! Wouldn't it be great to have the Jan trip paid for by someone!

Just to paint the true picture, I am cramming fries in my mouth between typing words.

Sunny and Mel - the century ride is actually in early October here in NW arkansas. It is not a race and there are aid stations every 10 to15 miles, so we won't be setting any speed records.

Sunny - the IC needs to let you have a break every now and again. Tell her it is ok if you rest some!!

Happy training everyone!!! I have to get back to my food before the boy eats it all!

MelR--You are KILLING me! I haven't had Mc Donald's since Christmas, I get cravings for it SO bad. Grrr. ;)

I did xt last night, about 20-30 minutes of weight lifting and then 30 minutes on the stationary bike. My legs feel like jello!! I haven't lifted weights in so long. They're feeling a little better now, but last night I had to practically crawl up the steps to get to bed. It was awful!! I'm also struggling because I'm trying to only drink 1 can of pop a day. I'm a serious Diet Coke addict, I drink probably 3-4 cans a day, so to cut back to one a day is killing me. I have the most awful headaches and zero energy, this is terrible. :teeth:

Susan--Sorry about the loss. I didn't see any of the game, but I know from experience that sometimes you just have bad officiating. Hope you guys get a win this Sunday. :wizard:

Mel--Yeah for Florida teams! :cheer2: Everyone is pretty bummed around here about OSU's loss Saturday night. I'm not a big OSU fan, mostly because I don't really follow college football, but it was a heartbreaking loss to watch! I've been doing a little smack talking around the office the week. The Bengals win one game and everyone starts saying they're going to the Super Bowl. :rolleyes: I sure hope my boys don't let me down on Oct. 23!! :teeth:

Tiff--Awesome improvement! I've noticed that even a couple of days difference can bring big changes.

Solo--A Lab and 2 Newfies?? Lucky!! I love my black lab, :lovestruc he's 5 months old today and he weighs about 35lbs. He's going to be a big boy!! :dog: I have to vaccuum like crazy with just Hines, I couldn't imagine 2 more!! Maybe you need to buy stock in Lysol or something. ;)

I better get back to work, I had a can of Diet Coke with lunch, I better get something done before my sugar high wears off!! Happy training!!

Krista princess:

Thanks for the kudos everyone! Today was xt-did the bike for 30 min. Was able to improve on that also(upped the resistance & distance) I'm sure my legs will be cussing me tomorrow.

We are trying to get our house ready to sell so I have been working my butt off (hopefully literally!) You never realize what all needs cleaning out, organizing & dusting until you know critical eyes are coming to look at it.

Mel- nothing like a few calories to really rev up that metabolism

Sunny-I understand how you kids have trouble a school can really weigh you down. We had an issue with DS in 1st grade but everything has worked out. Tell that IC to give you a *&^#@! break ;)

I proud of you all. Everyone is doing great. Keep it up.

Hey cumulus wearers, I was looking for a cheap trail runner and i ran across this. These are one of the pairs I run in and these are a good price ($47.50). I cant make the link work but the site is sierratradingpost.com and you can find them from there! Also, they often have a discount of $5 for first time customers!!!!!!

Good morning all!

Carrie- I'm right there with you-- I'm having a show dilemma as well. Adidas no longer makes my running shoes. :guilty: So now I have to go and get fitted yet again to find something that really fits well. Maybe I'll be able to find a similar model.... That's my hope anyway.

Colleen- Thanks for the kind words. Sounds like you're doing mighty fine yourself!!

Yesterday evening I did my 40 minutes (3/2) and averaged about 9:12/mile pace (or 4.34 miles) :banana: I was a little distracted when I started my run (my mind sort of racing about other things) so I finished my first mile is 8:03!!! Oops!! I was suprised that I didn't completely suck wind after that, but it was definately harder than what I was planning to do yesterday. An "easy" 6-miler tomorrow morning. UH-huh, yeah, "easy."

Gamin users- are any of you using the Training Center computer software as well?? I LOVE it. To be able to go back and track my runs and splits and pace... just great. I highly recommend it.

Well, back to work!
Happy training all!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

Thanks MelR, I will order a pair ASAP! Can't ever have too many pairs of Cumulus on hand ;)

Sunny

Solo-- yes I use the Garmin pc software and love it! I like seeing the altitude profile of my runs. Have you ever done a track run and looked at the path. Its a tiny little loop! Its also fun to see the overall mileage and calorie burn climb! I just wish it worked on the TM :rotfl:

Sunny

panthergirl said:
My time was 39:52 which was a huge improvement over 43:09 the race before. I was so excited to get under 40. I hope for more improvement for the next race which is Oct. 1-Race for the Cure.
Great time Susan! Congrats! :cool1: DH & I will be running the Charlotte race for the cure too. I think Bree may too. Anyway, have you ever run it? It is fun but there are TONS of people running/walking it so my time always suffers from this. I am running it in honor of my Aunt, Mom (she is walking), Best friend (she is walking), and MIL. And in memory of my great Aunt and others! Hope to see you there! :paw:
Just been running, biking, lifting and next week will add the double long runs every other week.
Later,
Christa

gatorphipps said:
Great time Susan! Congrats! :cool1: DH & I will be running the Charlotte race for the cure too. I think Bree may too. Anyway, have you ever run it? It is fun but there are TONS of people running/walking it so my time always suffers from this. I am running it in honor of my Aunt, Mom (she is walking), Best friend (she is walking), and MIL. And in memory of my great Aunt and others! Hope to see you there! :paw:

I'm counting on there being tons of people so I won't look so darned slow. The last two races I did (Panthers BluePoints 5K and Greekfest 5K) had some really speedy people and I finished close to the bottom. Shouldn't bother me I know, but it does. This one is for such a great cause for sure. I'm running to honor a co-worker who has gone through 2 bouts now. Glad you are doing it too. I'll bet you and Bree will be done long before me! You guys are big dogs. :dog: :dog:

Go Panthers! Beat the Pats! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:
Susan

My ankle is better! I was able to walk 3/run 2 today. I think the walking on Monday and the cycling on Tuesday helped strengthen my ankle to allow me to run again. I did 45 minutes on the TM. Tomorrow is cross-training.

Glad you'er feeling better Heather!

Well, I did not have a great day today adn was feeling exhausted and deflated when I ggot home (late to boot). I informed dh right off that we would not eb going fast. Well, I did much better than yesterday on my 40 min! I felt much better with teh form runnign this week too. Just got Curves tomorrow for XT and an "easy" 6-miler on Saturday. Dh and I discussed last Saturday that we will be reaching a point where 8 is going to be a short run for us. Hard concept to grasp!

Love my Garmin. I download, but don't analyze too much.

How's Craig doing?

hi all - another one of those quick posts as I use up my time in the internet cafe. I'm still in London , making the most of being able to wear sequins during the day (without anyone thinking i'm mad) and shiny silver shoes and doing far too much shopping, especially as i'm buying more shiny things that I can't wear in new zealand - I think I have the magpie gene. I have only missed one training run so far - and it was only a little 4 miler (so I keep telling myself to stop panic) but I was soooooo tired I think if I'd gone i'd have ended up sick so dfigured staying in bed much better plan. Not sure quite how I'm going to manange my long run after a BIG night out tomorrow but i'm going no matter what - although somewhat foolishly I didn't write down how far we have to go - might pop onto higdon now actually. Anyway, all good with me, I fly to singapore for four nights on Sunday and then I'll be back on the boards properly. Hope everyone is okay. Helen

panthergirl said:
Go Panthers! Beat the Pats! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Amen!!! I HATE the Patriots. And if I hear "dynasty" one more time, I'm going to be :sick: :teeth:

Good morning! Happy Friday! I'm excited today, I have my 2nd 5K at 7:00 tonight. :cheer2: :cheer2: I have my goal, but I'm not going to post it, just in case. I'll let you guys know tomorrow if I made it. :) I ran 30 minutes last night, I think I went 2.47 miles and I was doing a 12:25 pace. Or something around that. I forget. :rolleyes: I was all set to go out and do my 40 minutes, but Stephen stopped me as I was walking down the driveway. He thought I was doing the 5K in place of last night's run, not in addition too (like I was planning) he said maybe I shouldn't do 40 minutes on Thursday, 3.1 miles on Friday and 5 miles on Sunday--I didn't want to risk uping my milage too much and get hurt. So I just did 30 minutes last night.

Helen--You sound so glamourous! Must be that dual citizenship thing. Are you planning on wear sequins during the marathon? :teeth:

Heather--Yay! :cheer2: You're ready to rock 'n roll now!! :cheer2:

Christa and Susan--Awesome that you guys are running for worthy causes. I hold breast cancer awareness and ovarian cancer awareness very close to my heart. That's why I love 5K's, they always go to benefit great causes.

Christa--Where's Bree been? I'm sure you're still working her to death. :earseek:

I better get started on some work, the more work I do, the faster time goes! Happy training everyone!!

Krista princess:

aladdinsgirl said:
Helen--You sound so glamourous! Must be that dual citizenship thing. Are you planning on wear sequins during the marathon? :teeth:

More importantly, are you planning on wearing the shiney silver shoes :rotfl2: Glad to hear from you, Helen!

Good luck, Krista! I hope you PR in a BIG WAY :wizard:

MelRhoads said:
i have been a calorie buring fool!!!! The ride we did on saturday was worth over 1800 calories! .... guess what I am doing today..... McD's SHAME ON ME!!!! It tastes soooooo good. I didn't even tell them which size, they just hooked me up with a huge fries and a coke bigger than my bladder!

MelR if they knew how many calories you had burned they would have just handed you the fry basket :rotfl: I have a mickey figurine from a happy meal. I'm thinking of putting the marathon map in the picture holder in place of the 3D castle and sitting it on my desk. DS has two mickeys and two TinkerBells so far and no winning tickets.

I did killer upper body weights yesterday. Set new records on several machines for weight :teeth: I also did an hour of hill work on the TM :crazy2: I kept a steady speed of 6.0mph and did 2 minutes at each hill with 2-4 minutes in between. I started at 3% and went up to 10%. There were so many blinking lights stacked up at 10% I thought I was at Los Vegas :rotfl2: Talk about lactic threshold, my entire body was burning. I'm a bit nervous about my hilly half on Oct 1. Hills are not my thing!

Sunny

Carrie

I am still among the living, but now I'm facing the reality of a fall semester.

This is the flip side of my summers of pseudo work and lots of travel. During the semester whenever I'm awake I'm either working or thinking about classes, students, meetings, and all other commitments. The return of the students is always exciting, as you can feel the energy level on campus increase. The negative is my down time pretty much disappears until Christmas.

I have looked in from time to time, and will continue to do so. Martha and I are making good progress, and I see many of the regulars are as well.

I would take exception to those who hate the Patriots. I hate the Red Sox, as they truly are a bunch of idiots and prima donnas. The Patriots, in contrast, are great role models for success, which they have earned and deserve to be congratulated for. Everybody on the team has bought into the concept of team success, and does the dirty work without complaining that is necessary to win. The organization is absolutely not willing to overpay for the gifted trouble-maker, the Owens or Moss. They instead have solid players of solid character, which yields results in any human endeavor. It is sure to end someday, but I find it hard to pull against a group of people whose effort and values are so aligned with my own.

Good luck to all.

Craig

Calcio said:
I would take exception to those who hate the Patriots. I hate the Red Sox, as they truly are a bunch of idiots and prima donnas. The Patriots, in contrast, are great role models for success, which they have earned and deserve to be congratulated for. Everybody on the team has bought into the concept of team success, and does the dirty work without complaining that is necessary to win. The organization is absolutely not willing to overpay for the gifted trouble-maker, the Owens or Moss. They instead have solid players of solid character, which yields results in any human endeavor. It is sure to end someday, but I find it hard to pull against a group of people whose effort and values are so aligned with my own.

Don't worry, I only hate 'em once a year or so. They are a good bunch for sure, but this Sunday I'll boo them as if they were the Raiders! pirate:

Susan :paw: :paw: :paw:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter